• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

I really don't get peoples problem with the zone, did people not play the bonus stage in Sonic & Knuckles? I mastered that, so I had no issue with it lol.

I touched it maybe once or twice because I always thought they were a waste of time (chaos emeralds or bust), but caught onto TMZ's version quite quickly. And using it feels amazing - the physics are just perfect.

I really don't get peoples problem with the zone, did people not play the bonus stage in Sonic & Knuckles? I mastered that, so I had no issue with it lol.

I wasn't a huge fan of the zone at first, but I've grown to really enjoy it. Part of the reason it didn't grab me on my first playthrough was because I entered it with, like, five lives. So, every death I was like "oh man oh man oh man arrrghhhh"

Not going to be a problem on my current playthrough. I'm about to start
Metallic Madness aka Eargasm Central
with 36 lives.

Not going to be a problem on my current playthrough. I'm about to start Dance Party Zone with 36 lives.

Crank that shit up, my man

TEyV1uo.gif

Only complaints about this game are no Sonic CD spindash mode

and no jingle from the old games on the Act Clear screen (when the tiny Sonic sprite popped up)

Amazing game, onto playing Sonic CD now

I love that when Tee reached act 2 of Hydrocity in his music composition, he just said, "nah, why mess with perfection?" and recreated the original act 2 music pretty much verbatim.

can't fly with tails either

hope they patch a alternate option in the future
I'd imagine not, that's how it was in S3&K as well.

(of course, you needed 14 emeralds in S3&K...)

I'm undecided on it. Obviously I'm used to it being one way, but especially with Tails and Knuckles it's a hassle. OTOH, it creates some fun frantic situations...

I love that when Tee reached act 2 of Hydrocity in his music composition, he just said, "nah, why mess with perfection?" and recreated the original act 2 music pretty much verbatim.

It's real close...I believe a few layers were added to make the track a bit higher impact without changing the core melody. Fantastic remix.

delta_reg

We Super Sonic now boyz

The last special stage is surprisingly easy. You don't even need to hit top speed to catch the UFO.
Yeah I found the 7th stage to be easier if you don't go mach 3 actually. There's little point when mach 2 is still faster than the UFO, and going mach 3 brings a lot more danger into play with the much increased speed. I think there's a few stages actually where staying mach 2 is the best call if you wanna be sure of getting it. But it depends on how well your start is of course. Love these special stages most of any Sonic game.

We Super Sonic now boyz

The last special stage is surprisingly easy. You don't even need to hit top speed to catch the UFO.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to catch it at Mach 2 since there are no longer barriers keeping you from cutting corners. Although that's at the cost of possibly going off the course.

devonodev

Wooow so during my 4th time beating Studiopolis Act 2 boss, I finally figured out how to avoid the wind attack. That was not obvious to me at all. Don't know how I missed it either.

Wooow so during my 4th time beating Studiopolis Act 2 boss, I finally figured out how to avoid the wind attack. That was not obvious to me at all. Don't know how I missed it either.

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to learn how to avoid the sun attack consistently.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Edit: So can I just select "Original" to replay the 10 silvers I need to upgrade to gold via the Extra menu, or do I gotta deal with the checkpoints?

The Blue Spheres mini-game in the Extras menu is completely different and does not add to your medal count.

Speaking of which, I'm constantly getting repeat patterns from one stage to another on Mania Blue Spheres (the one with the new green and purple spheres). I might even be getting identical whole stages back-to-back. Is there just a shockingly low number of stages for this mode or is the game not randomizing them properly?

Falk

that puzzling face

It's real close...I believe a few layers were added to make the track a bit higher impact without changing the core melody. Fantastic remix.

The S3&K music already had two acts.

Music from Sonic 1 and 2 didn't.

That's the core difference as to why the former has true-to-original arrangements and the latter have a 'new' Act 2 mix.

That's the core difference as to why the former has true-to-original arrangements and the latter have a 'new' Act 2 mix.

Yeah, both themes in Mania just update the originals. I meant Act 2 has a bit more depth to it now with some added horns at around (zone spoiler) :22.

Item Box

After several attempts, I managed to finally clear all blue spheres,
only to unlock more blue spheres...

I hate myself rn

True final boss is fucking garbage.
Agreed, realizing
that it's more efficient to glide into the boss than wasting rings on the dash ability
ruins it

Flying Battery
deviates a bit, and
HPZ
takes some liberties with the instrumentation.

e: None of these are bad things, the mixes are all great

Branduil

It's actually easiest to fight the final boss
on the ground
, counter-intuitively enough. It's just a weirdly designed fight with added mechanics that you're better off not using.

RRockman

Banned
It's actually easiest to fight the final boss
on the ground
, counter-intuitively enough. It's just a weirdly designed fight with added mechanics that you're better off not using.

That's what makes it so dissapointing. How can they nail everything about Sonic except the super forms and final boss? It's mind boggling.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Played through it twice, and I am still loving it!

I kind of wish there was a sonic spinball call out, or better yet a level. Although no one seems to like that game except me and my sister.

Shadio

Normal, Good Future, Bad Future

And Past.

Has a Good Future track from Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack ever been remixed or referenced in a later Sonic game? I don't think one has been, or at least I can't think of any examples.

Until Mania I think the same may have been true for the Past versions.

That's what makes it so dissapointing. How can they nail everything about Sonic except the super forms and final boss? It's mind boggling.

The last 5%-10% of the game feels a little more rushed than the rest. Just a bit.
Titanic Monarch Act 2 feels like they had different plans and needed to abandon them, not to mention having the most confusing layout in the game, I think. And the Super Sonic boss just does the same thing over and over for the whole fight, doesn't even mix it up. Why is there even a floor?

I'm hoping a patch might retweak these just a bit. Imagine, a 2D Sonic where they can go in and fix the jankiest bits. And they don't even need to be beholden to a previously released game.

I kind of wish there was a sonic spinball call out, or better yet a level. Although no one seems to like that game except me and my sister.

The intro animation to
Chemical Plant
is a reference to Sonic jumping out of the "water" at the start of Spinball.

Oh man, I would've freaked out if Toxic Caves had started playing at any point...

I kind of wish there was a sonic spinball call out, or better yet a level
The transition from Green Hill to Chemical Plant, when that purple thing drops on Sonic's head and he shakes it off. Taken right from Sonic Spinball's Toxic Caves intro where he jumps out the water and does a similar animation

There's pretty much every popular Classic Sonic game referenced in Mania one way or another

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
The transition from Green Hill to Chemical Plant, when that purple thing drops on Sonic's head and he shakes it off. Taken right from Sonic Spinball's Toxic Caves intro where he jumps out the water and does a similar animation

Huh. Guess that didn't occur to me.

And Past.

Has a Good Future track from Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack ever been remixed or referenced in a later Sonic game? I don't think one has been, or at least I can't think of any examples.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any Sonic CD song outside of Stardust Speedway Bad Future that has been remade for any other sonic game.

And Past.

Nope

Only the Bad Future versions (Stardust Speedway being the most obvious example), probably because they're the most amped up tracks in Sonic CD.

*listens to Palmtree Panic Bad Future*

Have you guys listened to the official SEGA released Sonic CD remix album?

I love this song: "Sonic Stream"

I'm having a hard time thinking of any Sonic CD song outside of Stardust Speedway Bad Future that has been remade for any other sonic game.
You Can Do Anything from the JPN/EU soundtrack of Sonic CD was remade (or at the very least referenced) in Sonic Chaos' Mecha Green Hill Zone, starting at around 40 seconds into MGHZ it becomes more obvious

The opening also sounds like Zero's theme from MegaMan X1

Didn't the Game Gear games come out before Sonic CD?

Here is the more blatant 8-bit You Can Do Anything homage

Edit: Wait, is Mecha Green Hill Zone a remix of Green Hills Zone?

Don't forget Green Hill from Sonic 2 Game Gear.

Sonic Chaos came out shortly after CD. Whether or not the 8bit team wanted to remix Green Hills or You Can Do Anything, we don't know.

Though it counts as a Sonic CD song remade FWIW, even if it's an unintented one

So, I found a pretty neat thing you can do with
Debug Mode

Play
Metallic Madness Act 1 in Debug Mode and get to one of the weight platforms that bounce you into the background. Enter debug mode with Triangle/X/Y during the transition between the foreground and background. Depending on how you time it, your character's sprite will look different and you can still move around in the foreground.If you enter debug mode while completely in the background, your character's sprite will disappear until you renter into the foreground, though.

The problem is that Sonic & Knuckles had a few different cool bonus stages..

So personally I am a bit bummed they didnt include any of those.

I love it. It doesn't play the best, but it's so weird I can't help but be into it. The bosses are terrifying. The art is ugly. The music is oppressive. It's wonderful.

But I'd totally be into another Sonic Pinball game even though it would be nothing like the original.

IrishNinja

okay so i'm in act 2 of chemical zone, and enjoying this a lot. but...

i'm seriously bummed that the superior sonic 3 blue sphere stages are just to unlock stuff, and the vastly inferior sonic CD type stages are actual emeralds..what the fuck am i doing wrong, i avoid blue dots/grass and try to get rings but the stupid @$$%ing UFO goes off track and i can't get at it, this feels pointless but i almost wanna start all over cause i feel i have little chance of finding enough more tries to get them all still, ughhhh

Top Bottom