• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I got some medals in the blue sphere stages and got a message about super peel out being available. But where do I activate the damn thing? There's nothing in the extras menu, and it doesn't seem to be any button combination that lets me use it.

I am getting rusty in my 34 yr old age. The third zone is kicking my ass. Not really feeling that level design as its all over the place and I hate HATE when I can't see the bottom of where I'm going to land. One of my platforming peeves. If I can't know there's a platform why would I jump.

MDave

I am getting rusty in my 34 yr old age. The third zone is kicking my ass. Not really feeling that level design as its all over the place and I hate HATE when I can't see the bottom of where I'm going to land. One of my platforming peeves. If I can't know there's a platform why would I jump.

If playing as Sonic, get Tails to fly you around. If Tails... fly. If Knuckles, glide over, you can always climb back up.
There is hardly any bottomless pits in the game, and you have to be on the bottom paths to be in any real danger of that.

I just died to the boss on Studiopolious Act1 and you know what? I'm not even mad. I bought it about an hour ago and while playing I haven't stopped smiling.

I actually feel like a kid again with my Megadrive, it feels like the sonic game that never was, but finally is.

I don't care if this game doesn't get a sequel, granted it would be amazing if it did, but if it didn't, I'm happy with this because I'm still mind blown that this is actually a thing.

If you told me 10 years ago Sonic was coming back, I wouldn't believe you.

Can anyone tell me if Knuckles shows up eventually in the story or can you only pick him when you start a new save file?
I got some medals in the blue sphere stages and got a message about super peel out being available. But where do I activate the damn thing? There's nothing in the extras menu, and it doesn't seem to be any button combination that lets me use it.
It's probably on the save screen menu in Mania Mode. Scroll all the way to the right where it lets you pick what icon to use in your "No Save" slot. When you scroll over that the X (On Switch) button changes from "Delete" to "Secrets".

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm just over halfway and so far I can't think of a convincing argument for any of the Mega Drive games being as good as Mania. I'm a Sonic 2 diehard but you can't compete with 25 years of hindsight. The Mania devs have managed to capture the exploratory feel of 3&K while retaining that Sonic 2 flow that was sabotaged by 3&K's obstacle and enemy placement. The length, variety and creativity is off the charts and the bosses (while sometimes over-designed) are on average much better than anything that has come before. Plus the special stages are the best in the series by a long shot. My only real gripe so far (apart from no level select as you go) is that the blue orb stages are back. I mean...whyyyy? They're worse than the damn half pipe.
The special stages have design flaws and are not as good as 3K, blue spheres are the fucking GOAT it's not even close. Mania does not have good story progression and the stage transitions are extremely weak compared to 3K. 3K feels like a grand adventure, has great pacing and comes to a satisfying conclusion. Storytelling in Mania is absolute arse in comparison and the game does not end on a high note. I would also say that the level design, while generally great, does have CD like problems and often feels to big. Doesn't quite nail that balance of exploration and tight stage design the way 3K does.

3K also implements bonus stages better. Blue spheres are amazing, but they're too long to be suited to be played every minute. Hurts the pacing. 3K's bonus stages were quicknand anappy and suited that format better. Blue spheres suit the hidden ring formula, not the checkpoint activated one.

Berordn

So I've been calling the Special Stages Dimension Heist, after the track that plays, but it dawned on me that UFO Catcher is also appropriate as a general Sega arcade reference, and the claw that holds onto the emeralds is a dead giveaway.

I'm sure someone more clever than myself had already pointed this out.

MDave

So I've been calling the Special Stages Dimension Heist, after the track that plays, but it dawned on me that UFO Catcher is also appropriate as a general Sega arcade reference, and the claw that holds onto the emeralds is a dead giveaway.

I'm sure someone more clever than myself had already pointed this out.

I get reminded of Nights when I see the UFO with the claws holding the emerald. I think that was intentional!

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the dev team was pressed for time to finish the game and cut a few corners near the end hence the lack of zone transitions in the later half of the game.

Wireframe

The special stages have design flaws and are not as good as 3K, blue spheres are the fucking GOAT it's not even close. Mania does not have good story progression and the stage transitions are extremely weak compared to 3K. 3K feels like a grand adventure, has great pacing and comes to a satisfying conclusion. Storytelling in Mania is absolute arse in comparison and the game does not end on a high note. I would also say that the level design, while generally great, does have CD like problems and often feels to big. Doesn't quite nail that balance of exploration and tight stage design the way 3K does.

3K also implements bonus stages better. Blue spheres are amazing, but they're too long to be suited to be played every minute. Hurts the pacing. 3K's bonus stages were quicknand anappy and suited that format better. Blue spheres suit the hidden ring formula, not the checkpoint activated one.

Totally agree, blue sphere every 5 min is actually pretty jarring and I started skipping them by studiopolis.

orient

Neo Member

The "story" in any 2D Sonic exists only to get you from one zone to the next and is completely superfluous. At best they provide some neat animations, of which Mania has by far the best in the series. I don't need an overarching plot in a game where I'm a hedgehog fighting a cackling egg. Take the transitional scenes away and you're left with the exact same game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Does the game play better with stick or dpad?

Wondering on which console to get it based on that.

I own it on the Switch and prefer playing the game with the Stick and using the pad for the blue sphere and special zone stage.

Agreed, I just skip the blue spheres stages though sometime I get thrown into it due needing to jump and I hit the sparkling ring.

I also agree with you on stage transitions and level designs and I while I have fun playing the game I feel it's just mostly recycled content being passed off as something "new."

Stopdoor

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the dev team was pressed for time to finish the game and cut a few corners near the end hence the lack of zone transitions in the later half of the game.

I also feel like the final boss is a bit underwhelming, there's a lack of fun animations to it like the initial cutscenes, bosses. Not legit complaining, but seemed noticeable.

wrowa

Thanks.

For those playing on switch, is the dpad comfortable enough for the game or you use stick?

I played both Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight with Switch's dpad and both played just fine. It feels a bit weird in the beginning, but after a couple of minutes I stopped even thinking about it. Feels natural.

jobrro

Yep.

Main reason I went for PS4. Most comfortable position for a D-pad on a modern console.

That and 4K (on Pro), Vita Remote Play for pseudo portability and slightly cheaper than the eShop here.

Still sort of want on Switch too but I will make do.

Might pick up on PC at some point in a few years when super cheap if Steam sales ever git gud again.

MDave

Switch D-pad is fine for Mania.

I played both Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight with Switch's dpad and both played just fine. It feels a bit weird in the beginning, but after a couple of minutes I stopped even thinking about it. Feels natural.

I can confirm this too. I wish it was a bit higher up on the joy cons, but it's fine.

You don't need to do diagonal directions with the D-Pad so the Switch D-Pad buttons are perfectly fine.

Doing diagonal directions or half/quater circles is where the Switch D-Pad is a problem for games that require those movements, like street fighter, kof etc. but in platformers like Sonic, Rayman etc I find it to be better then a regular D-Pad as you can't accidently hit a diagonal direction. Distinct buttons to move left and right feels great. Like WASD keys on a keyboard, actually. Same pros and cons when you think about it!

Yukinari

The achievement to not get hit in act 1 of the last zone is either buggy or im doing something wrong.

And yes i know you cant get hit at all even with a shield.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The "story" in any 2D Sonic exists only to get you from one zone to the next and is completely superfluous. At best they provide some neat animations, of which Mania has by far the best in the series. I don't need an overarching plot in a game where I'm a hedgehog fighting a cackling egg. Take the transitional scenes away and you're left with the exact same game.
Story is actually one of the big reasons 3K is as good as it is. It's a really underappreciated aspect of the game that gives each stage context. It's one of those things you only truly appreciate once it's gone. Knuckles stealing your emeralds at the start of the game, constantly fucking you over throughout the game, you finally having that fight with Knux then having Robotnik come in and stealing the master emerald. Finally teaming up together to help take down Robotnik. These are scenes that give the game a grand feel. The game was better off for them and Mania is lacking in this department. It does matter.

Kinsei

Banned
The achievement to not get hit in act 1 of the last zone is either buggy or im doing something wrong.

Did you use Super Sonic? It's possible that the rings draining counts as taking a hits.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does anyone know if
Knuckles and Knuckles
mode gives you a different ending if you get all the emeralds? Because I just ran though this quickly without getting any emeralds.

Shadio

If you're trying with Super Sonic, I've heard it doesn't work if you meet the requirements in an attempt where you've used the restart option. You apparently need to quit the stage when you get hit before you try again.

I'm not sure if the same applies without Super Sonic.

Thanks.

For those playing on switch, is the dpad comfortable enough for the game or you use stick?
Was not expecting it to be great after my struggles with puyo puyo tetris, but the joycon d-pad has given me no problems whatsoever.

Even for blue spheres at warp speed...

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
If you're trying with Super Sonic, I've heard it doesn't work if you meet the requirements in an attempt where you've used the restart option. You apparently need to quit the stage when you get hit before you try again.

I'm not sure if the same applies without Super Sonic.

This is true, if you've used restart it won't pop,or at least didn't for me. Once I exited and started fresh it popped on completion.

Doorman

I'm not a big fan of Get Blue Spheres, really never have been even back in old Sonic 3 but at least in there it was more bearable as just being a few special stages. I agree that having them at every checkpoint in this game and the sheer number of stages there are gets exhausting pretty quickly.

The bigger issue I personally have with it, though, is that while it's nice to have for unlocking fun little secrets and extras, it does a very poor job of working as an actual bonus stage within the context of the game as you're playing it. You can't get lives or shields or anything from it that will actually help you in the stage. Hell, even just allowing you to keep the rings you collected would be a help and provide some actual incentive for playing them for getting extra lives. If you're playing and aren't interested in unlocking outside stuff you can't even use outside of No Save runs...there's no reason to ever do it.

If there's ever a Mania 2, I hope that the checkpoint stages are built differently to be 1. Quick (lemme get in and out in 20~30 seconds at most) and 2. Providing something to actually help you in the moment. If they raise the ring requirements to activate it as a way to balance things out, then so be it.

Blue Spheres would be more enjoyable imo if they raised how many rings you needed to have to enter it. Keeping it ~30 means you spend more time in those stages than the level itself.

Catvoca

Banned
God I hate the lives system in this game. Having to replay almost two full levels because I didn't immediately understand the mechanics of a new boss is complete trash. There's no reason not to just restart you at the beginning of the level instead of the Zone.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I want another Spinball that embraces the surreal, almost nightmarish original game. Give me disembodied, screaming Eggman heads everywhere. Give me ludicrously deep bass in every song. Give me that ungodly, tinny laughter every time a life is lost.

I always liked The Machine music.

BWAAAAAAAM

Peltz

Thanks.

Comfortable as hell. And this is coming from someone who was against the lack of Dpad. Joycon buttons are great.

Pro controller is also great by the way.

Story is actually one of the big reasons 3K is as good as it is. It's a really underappreciated aspect of the game that gives each stage context. It's one of those things you only truly appreciate once it's gone. Knuckles stealing your emeralds at the start of the game, constantly fucking you over throughout the game, you finally having that fight with Knux then having Robotnik come in and stealing the master emerald. Finally teaming up together to help take down Robotnik. These are scenes that give the game a grand feel. The game was better off for them and Mania is lacking in this department. It does matter.

Yes, but... at the same time, level design will always be the chief consideration in the quality of the game. And I think Mania definitely has some of the most thrilling levels in the series.

jmartoine

Got the True ending, the Egg Reverie boss isn't anything to write home about. Did it first try and it is annoying more than anything.

Should have replaced it with a fight with all 4 Hard Boiled Heavies and then the Emperor.

That being said I did like how in the fight Robotnik and the Emperor were fighting over the special gem.

J@hranimo

Banned
So when I was doing my second part of Knuckles playthrough yesterday, I got a tad bummed out because even with elemental shields
you activate Super Knuckles by jumping twice.
So you can't really glide without doing that.

Really wish they added a toggle like the Sonic 3 Complete romhack. I couldn't enjoy Mirage Saloon Act 1 music to its fullest!

13ruce

Banned
So when I was doing my second part of Knuckles playthrough yesterday, I got a tad bummed out because even with elemental shields
you activate Super Knuckles by jumping twice.
So you can't really glide without doing that.

Really wish they added a toggle like the Sonic 3 Complete romhack. I couldn't enjoy Mirage Saloon Act 1 music to its fullest!

They really should add the super button to another button through a patch it also fucks up sonic's spin dash.

Top Bottom