• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

MegalonJJ

Banned
Picked it up (UK here) as soon as it went live, the music is GODTIER.

Question about the visual filters, what's the difference between "none" and "clean" (default) options?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope nothing substantial is tied to Blue Sphere Medals, I was never that good at it---in Sonic Adventure 2 I never got enough S Emblems to score all the cool unlockables and that sucked.

By the way, do you have to get all Chaos Emeralds in one playthrough or can you go back to levels if you miss them?

Done, fuck it I got the 25 eu card, got sonic and graceful explosion machine, I have 2£ left which I will probably never use but whatever. Worth it to me to play this all night.

This is Sonic! :D

Only played it for about 20 minutes so far, but I'm really liking it. A smile appeared from the SM menu icon, to the splashscreen, to the into screen.

Both TV and handheld mode look gorgeous and authentic. They really nailed the presentation, visuals and sound from what I've played. But now I need to get some sleep.

Stuart444

Just finished Chemical Plant Zone Act 2. The first few seconds were amazing since I didn't expect a few of the things that happened. Also the boss was great <3.

Loving this <3

Robin64

Can you at least use the buttons? I've been worried it's gonna be stick only..

I've been using the buttons. I had practice with Shovel Knight previously, using these as a "d-pad" and I'm used to it now. I can 100% SK with it, and I'm having no problems doing what I want to do in Sonic now either.

BiggNife

So judging by comments in this thread it sounds like none of the regions that currently have the game available accept US credit cards?

In that case I might just go the 25£ eshop card route. I need to play this tonight.

SheHateMe

I pre-ordered the CE when Amazon dropped it on September 13th of last year...

...and I have to wait until Wednesday to get it.

But from reading the thread here, it'll be worth the wait.

YASSSSSSSS.

Burbeting

Banned
Game is great, but the bosses are both the best and the worst part of the game so far. They are innovative, and have lot of fun mechanics, but some of the bosses just feel like weird difficulty spikes, when compared to levels preceeding them, and even later bosses.

In Zone 3
Act 1, the boss there is lot harder than many bosses even after it. Mechanically it's not hard, but the game doesn't telegraph well how to deal with the boss, so I died few times not even understanding what I was supposed to do. The boss was fine after understanding it, but I wish it was shown better how to deal with it.

In Zone 6
The Act 2 boss is not fun, at least the first phase with the 'original character, do not steal!', because you have no way of knowing what kind of jumping pattern they are going to do next, so it becomes just hoping they jump the way is beneficial to you, making it essentially a boring waiting game.

I'd like to hear impressions from people with no Sonic nostalgia.

How do you like the game?

Haven't played Sonic outside Generations, which I wasn't very fond of. Mania is so far very fun game, but it does have blemishes, like the weird difficulty spikes in few bosses. But levels themselves are fun so far, and I love the soundtrack.

Endo Punk

Man do I suck! Been a long time since I properly played a Sonic game. It nailed my expectations for a Sonic game though, really enjoying the level design.

Dachande

Played the first three zones. It's so good. The level design has been a little mazey a couple of times, but nothing approaching the worst of CD or bad fangames. It looks and sounds and most importantly it feels perfect as well.

Mark1

Been playing it on Switch for 30 minutes. And can see where the old vs new comment comes into play, but that feeling left rather soon after exploring Green Hill more.

It really feels like mixture of CD and 3&K, which isn't a bad thing at all. It's great! You feel that incentive to go explore around more than once.

Special and extra stages are great thus far.

Want to keep playing, but have work in the morning so need to prioritise on my sleep. But so far it's been quite the enjoyable experience so far. Came across some rather neat surprises already such as...spoilers below:

Super Peel Out!!

Again. Can't wait to play more in the morning on the commute to work.

Falk

that puzzling face
Play as Knuckles. How do beat the Stardust Speedway boss?
I can't seem to hit the Robo Sonics back at Metal.

Spin dash just once at them the moment they spawn and go into ball form. Should be just the right amount of force -> momentum

Mistle

Wow Zone 3 solidified for me that this is easily the best Sonic game since Knuckles. Unless it falls off a cliff from here on out, but I seriously doubt it as it's only getting better and better. Bosses are fantastic, music, level design. All the small animations that remind me of classic Mickey Mouse. So awesome!

First two Zones had me smiling ear to ear but in the back of my mind I was thinking "geez are there maybe too many sprawling paths? I wouldn't mind a more linear and deliberate level" which Zone 3 delivered for me.

Duffk1ng

Just got a message saying that
super peel out
ability is a now unlocked. Any one know how to use it? I figured
up plus B like in CD but...

Edit: Oh I see, it's only in the "no save" mode

Jafku

So for those who are playing the switch version, how does the game run? Is performance good? Most of the reviews I looked at were for the PS4 version

Sanjuro

Who to play as first: Tails, or Knuckles?

ZiU00Ly.gif

Shaneus

My favourite easter egg so far I found from looking at the credits and then having a go at the time trials, noticing that
the announcer voice for the time trials is Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, the guy behind the Daytona USA music

I love that the Sonic R-inspired bonus stage is also basically a 3D interpretation of the Sonic 1 bonus level (including the 3D-morphing bird things).

Loving this game!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Tails - Sonic - Knuckles
Easy - Medium - Hard

Knuckles considered "hard", huh? I remember a few bosses in 3 + Knuckles felt a bit harder with him but he seemed to traverse levels easy enough.

Seems he has quite a few unique paths compared to Sonic and Tails from what I gather so maybe the difficulty comes in his unique areas.

Mr_Moogle

So I've only played it for 5 minutes on Switch because I had to go to work but the game seems to flawlessly pull off the look and feel of the genesis games. I hope somebody at Sega is actually paying attention. This is how it's done.

Xbox pre-order cancelled since I'm not waitibg until 4pm while everyone else is playibg it. Bought the PS4 version instead. 4pm wtf that about? It's the 15th now.
Xbox One version has no midnight release but 16:00 release.

Top Bottom