• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Ugh, go figure my first ever digital pre-order and Microsoft fucks it up by making me wait until 10 am.

Fuck that, I can wait, but it is just dumb why they can't get their timing right. I'll go cancel it and give my pre-order money to Playstation.

Can't wait til I get home so I can download.

gotta_go_fast_by_zeurel-d4j3lie.gif

OMG this game!!!!!!! I only did the first two zones, remakes but so genius in what you can do!!!
When a burned a wooden branch with the fire shield in green hill my mind exploded.
These levels are designed in incredible ways. In chemical plant I did something where I thought I was going backward but in reality it was a designed path totally different than if I went forward. The new mechanics introduced add so much to the exploration. Bosses so good so far.

This is a dream game.

I need to go to bed because I've got work but good God this game is great. It feels like I remember but runs better than any 2D Sonic game it's trying to evoke. I'm so happy with it I could cry. I'm only a few levels in
Flying Battery Zone
. Studiopolis Act 2 is greatness. Those screens with Eggman are a riot. I need a gif of them! So many feels. I even like the Blue Spheres. I've missed so many special stage rings though. I can see me replaying this to death.

RagnarokX

Game is great, but the bosses are both the best and the worst part of the game so far. They are innovative, and have lot of fun mechanics, but some of the bosses just feel like weird difficulty spikes, when compared to levels preceeding them, and even later bosses.

In Zone 3
Act 1, the boss there is lot harder than many bosses even after it. Mechanically it's not hard, but the game doesn't telegraph well how to deal with the boss, so I died few times not even understanding what I was supposed to do. The boss was fine after understanding it, but I wish it was shown better how to deal with it.
I think it's pretty obvious what to do.
He shoots 2 kinds of missiles. 2 pointy red "danger" color ones and 1 round blue one that screams "hit me!"

ZeroX03

Banned
All versions the same? No issues with going Switch here?

Also what the hell constitutes a Sonic spoiler? Do I have to go and watch all the promotional material to tell?

NotLiquid

Also what the hell constitutes a Sonic spoiler? Do I have to go and watch all the promotional material to tell?

Been reading some people having a share of glitches playing on Switch but I'm not sure how widespread it is and if it's just on that platform

Burbeting

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious what to do.
He shoots 2 kinds of missiles. 2 pointy red "danger" color ones and 1 round blue one that screams "hit me!"

The problem was that the screen was so cluttered at first (all the enemies spinning, background etc.) that I didn't even notice the missiles properly first, and died just due to that.

NotLiquid

Whuch glitches?

Seen one instance mentioned of the camera panning to the bottom of the stage after spindashing at the start of the the Studiopolis mini boss, as well as Sonic occasionally not animating correctly when braking. Someone I know mentioned a crash at the end of Chemical Plant, while a friend mentioned watching a stream where the music would bug upon hitting a checkpoint while getting a 1UP, which would loop the 1UP jingle until they reached a bonus stage.

I haven't played the game yet so I can't verify how it's like on my end, nor do I have it on other platforms to know if it's just Switch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That truly is awkward. Which version did you get?
PS4. I would get it if this affected all orders due to Sega taking a while to send them the supply, but I don't know why mine is taking longer to ship/arrive when I ordered with Prime.

Oh well, I needed to finish up Yooka Laylee anyways.

PS4. I would get it if this affected all orders due to Sega taking a while to send them the supply, but I don't know why mine is taking longer to ship/arrive when I ordered with Prime.

Oh well, I needed to finish up Yooka Laylee anyways.
They just restocked on CEs today on amazon so I dont see how that would be the case.

Stuart444

Does anyone have trouble with Tails and flying? (Fiance used him while I was Sonic). Seems like he goes up very quickly and makes it hard to control (certainly harder than in Sonic 2/Sonic 3 + Knuckles)

Just wondering if anyone else has issues with Tails flying.

Related note: Tails also switches back to the CPU very very quickly, like after 2 or 3 seconds of inactivity. though sometimes it helps like during a boss, switched back at the perfect time.

Randomizer

My god Chemical Zone 2 is amazing. Can't believe how good this is. Although I have see a few moments of fan made design issues like random floating spikes.

Edit: Holy shit that boss!

budpikmin

I've played the first three acts and now I need sleep. What I've played so far has left me grinning from ear to ear. Everything is so perfect but also so surprising and creative. These are the sort of thoughtful touches I expect from a new Mario game. You can tell it was a labour of love

They want Sonic Forces to get all the retail attention....

I don't know. Maybe they are being stupid or something. Games like Shovel Knight got retail versions, so I don't get why Mania couldn't get one.
I suspect it was in one part a hedge on unknown sales expectations, and one part a way to ease pressure on a young dev team (deadline can be more flexible).

And maybe one part forces paranoia, who knows. I do expect it to get a physical release eventually.

Haha, the boss of the second zone caught me off guard. And the theme of Studiopolis Zone is soooo good.

I'm playing on the Switch in handheld mode, loving it so far.

The home button and screenshot button are buggy in handheld mode. They DO work, but they need several presses for some reason.

ZeroX03

Banned
Been reading some people having a share of glitches playing on Switch but I'm not sure how widespread it is and if it's just on that platform

The home button and screenshot button are buggy in handheld mode. They DO work, but they need several presses for some reason.

Seems pretty minor, as long as it's not performance stuff.

The Switch version has this horrible issue where you can take your addiction with you on the go.

Fuck, no buy

For those playing right now, before I buy

How forgiving are the difficulty settings? Is it die on boss and start from the zone or die on boss and start at beginning of the last act? I'm not that good at 2D sonic and don't want to give up in frustration - furthermore, are there easy/hard modes etc?

daydream

Banned
game is dope as shit

so i beat my first
sonic 3 bonus stage
and unlocked
super peel mode from sonic cd
. how the hell do i use it, though?

Top Bottom