• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Played up to zone 4, had to stop since I have work tomorrow. 😑

Loving it so far. Looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays perfectly. There's so much love and personality in every pixel.

Lynd7

I like how the first acts of the classic levels are what you'd expect, then the second acts change it up and add more things.

Also, Chemical Plant Zone Eggman fight was surprising to me.

Haven't played Sonic outside Generations, which I wasn't very fond of. Mania is so far very fun game, but it does have blemishes, like the weird difficulty spikes in few bosses. But levels themselves are fun so far, and I love the soundtrack.

Thank you! I enjoyed the 2d sections of Generations somewhat and enjoyed Colors until the final stages. I've tried playing Sonic 1,2, and 3 over the years but it's never really grabbed me. I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 back when they were first released but have since gone back to them and found they don't gel with me at all these days.

Looking at Mania, I'm interested in trying 2d Sonic again. $20 isn't that much in my opinion so I'll probably buy it regardless.

Still curious for more non nostalgia based impressions 🙂

MrPanic

Just impulse bought this game cause... why not right? The reviews seemed good enough. Zone 2 boss completely blew my mind, instantly threw this game from another Sonic game to gawdlike status for me.

Had some reservations towards this game, especially since I wasn't actually a fan of Sonic during the genesis era, but this game is a absolute blast so far, glad I just happened to have enough money on my eShop account for it, lol.

Malcolm9

Loving it! I went for the Switch version over the PS4 for the portability side of things, the game looks and plays superb!

You can't - it's locked for every region. No idea why, usually stuff goes up around 12PM in the UK so it should be early - kinda pissed about that.

Yeah I was hoping to play at midnight tonight. If it's not available at 11 tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed. Looks like I need to bail out of this thread.

sonto340

I guess I’m just bad at exploring but I finished zone 3 without finding a single special stage. That’s fine I’ll do a more thorough play through at some point.

Mr_Moogle

Wow, no physical release?
Just wanted to order spontaneous, because of the great reviews and other impressions.

Yeah I would have liked to buy a physical version too. Oh well, at least the game only takes up about 200 -300mb. Even the stingy storage of a Nintendo console can handle that.

Duffk1ng

lmfao at the Chemical Plant Zone boss.

3 chaos emeralds down, that'll do for tonight.

Also, man I hate those blue spheres stages.

Shahadan

Switch Home button seems weird with this game. Either it doesn't work or there is a big latency before it actually functions. Or mine is just broken.

Lynd7

The levels are also huge, I dunno if I like em that big. I find it hard to visualise the entire layout. Maybe if I play it a ton that will go away.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
lmfao at the Chemical Plant Zone boss.

3 chaos emeralds down, that'll do for tonight.

Also, man I hate those blue spheres stages.
It was amazing. Genius.
Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is officially canon! Does this also mean the world of Sonic ties in to the world of Puyo Puyo? I look forward to Puyo Puyo Tetris Sonic.

Following the great reviews and impressions, I think this gem from Sonic R is fitting:

Another day is like a new beginning
And so today I know that it's a new start
I know the bad times are disappearing
Cause now I know that we'll never be apart

You're the one that makes me feel so high
Just like the diamonds in the sky
I never want to hear you say goodbye
Cause you're my diamond in the sky

Yeah I would have liked to buy a physical version too. Oh well, at least the game only takes up about 200 -300mb. Even the stingy storage of a Nintendo console can handle that.

It's strange.
Seems like this is the best Sonic game in ages, but Sega does not release a physical version on day one?
Didn't they believe in the game, lol

RK128

It's strange.
Seems like this is the best Sonic game in ages, but Sega does not release a physical version on day one?
Didn't they believe in the game, lol

They want Sonic Forces to get all the retail attention....

I don't know. Maybe they are being stupid or something. Games like Shovel Knight got retail versions, so I don't get why Mania couldn't get one.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so how is the game about replaying levels and unlocking stuff?

can i do that or do they need to be done in one run straight through?

how do lives / saves work?

Top Bottom