• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Guess Who

Banned
Yet there was a twenty page thread based on how to play a freaking Sonic game. It's a really simple concept, it's not like an RTS or something.

Anyway I think the biggest disappointment for this game (unless it's an unlockable) is the lack of a Sound Test. Like the music is amazing and I would love to just play each track as I do other things. Unless of course they didn't include that to push people into buying the actual soundtrack.

It is an unlockable.

All this sonic talk has me wanting to try out the originals for the first time (1-3,K,CD). Whats the best way to play them? How are the xbla ports? That would be most convenient for me.
1 and 2 have fantastic mobile versions that were developed by Taxman. If you don't wanna play on mobile, there's Sonic Mega Collection which is good, and the Steam versions are also decent emulations. CD has a PSN/XBLA/PC/Mobile port that is also developed by Taxman that is incredible.

Unfortunately there's no Taxman version of 3+K so your best bet is thru the Sonic Mega Collection or Steam.

XBLA versions of 1, 2, and 3+K are mediocre emulations by Backbone IIRC, I don't recommend those unless that's your only option.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've heard that before. Why are they considered garbage? Steam is probably my second best option

Get them on Steam. Sega put out a pretty great Genesis emulation wrapper or 'game room' on Steam that looks great and runs the games well.

Each Sonic game is like $5 and the bonus is that you can download a free mod on Steamworks for Sonic 3 and Knuckles that improves the game in many, many ways. Here is a video describing the Sonic 3 Complete mod and features.

Finally started a Knuckles file, and while the physics in general have been a little different from the older games, I'm glad that if you start a glide right as you land on an enemy/box it'll still pop you up into the air awkwardly. I always loved doing that.

dafodeu

This game is pure joy. Great job to everyone evolved. Team Sonic turn. Imagine 2 great sonic games in the same year. That would be incredible. Fingers crossed.

delta_reg

Press Garden Zone
Act 2 is so gorgeous.
Yes it is, yes it is.
I only kinda wish the background changed a bit more though, as you progressed through the stage. But the act is pretty and very well designed.

Now my R2 Button is broken. Thanks Special Stage 5.
Wait.. what? The R2 doesn't do anything in special stages I thought, you just run automatically. Were you using it to jump?

pretty good customer service

Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a pic of the score they gave me :(

But I did get the time.

The level took me forever to complete and I had no idea how to hit the boss. By the time I figured it out and started hitting him, my time was running out.

You see I only had ONE life left and at the time I only had three rings so I just started wildy hitting him, rings flying everywhere I did not give a fuck xD. I literally closed my eyes and prayed that last hit would kill him AND IT DID. I did a loud WHOOP and took the pic.

BRUH indeed

Lynd7

1 and 2 have fantastic mobile versions that were developed by Taxman. If you don't wanna play on mobile, there's Sonic Mega Collection which is good, and the Steam versions are also decent emulations. CD has a PSN/XBLA/PC/Mobile port that is also developed by Taxman that is incredible.

Unfortunately there's no Taxman version of 3+K so your best bet is thru the Sonic Mega Collection or Steam.

XBLA versions of 1, 2, and 3+K are mediocre emulations by Backbone IIRC, I don't recommend those unless that's your only option.

Don't forget 3DS has great versions of 1/2.

its so easy

its really too easy

its practically a free gold medal

its easy

but my nerves

the speed

to whoever designed the blue-green blue sphere stage

how could you

Saven

Banned
Yes it is, yes it is.
I only kinda wish the background changed a bit more though, as you progressed through the stage. But the act is pretty and very well designed.

Wait.. what? The R2 doesn't do anything in special stages I thought, you just run automatically. Were you using it to jump?

No, I didn't use the R2 Button. It just so happened to break after launching it in the air after an hour of frustration after getting so close a couple times.

Yes, I know, I got anger issues. :p

Anyways, I was able to snap the R2 button back into place and I was able to beat it finally. Ironically, I had no issues with Special Stage 6. Going to call it a night now and finish up the rest tomorrow.

So...much...Blue...Sphere...

Beat the game, still have to go back for the emeralds though. I can't get a hang of the special stages at all.

Working on a review, but I'll need another couple play-throughs to figure out where I stand.

Iokis

How are you supposed to fight the final final boss? Lol. I'm just confused.

Yeah, this confused me too.
You want to hit both the "emerald creature" (I have no idea what it was supposed to be) and Robotnik when they present an opening. Easiest way I found was to fly one loop around the emerald creature so it whiffs a few of those plasma balls then simply fly into it (or complete your loop by touching the ground and then jumping into it). Then drop to/stay on the ground for Robotnik turning up and simply jump at him after he's done a flurry with his arms. Rinse and repeat till both explode! And grab any rings that fly on screen while you're doing it.

Sami+

Yeah, this confused me too.
You want to hit both the "emerald creature" (I have no idea what it was supposed to be) and Robotnik when they present an opening. Easiest way I found was to fly one loop around the emerald creature so it whiffs a few of those plasma balls then simply fly into it (or complete your loop by touching the ground and then jumping into it). Then drop to/stay on the ground for Robotnik turning up and simply jump at him after he's done a flurry with his arms. Rinse and repeat till both explode! And grab any rings that fly on screen while you're doing it.

Just did it! I think I didn't realize that
both the attacks and the air dash we're making me lose rings super quickly
. That whole boss was a really cool twist on series convention. 🙂

And that's Sonic Mania! Damn. 10/10. Now to beat it as Tails and Knuckles. 😍

Branduil

How are you supposed to fight the final final boss? Lol. I'm just confused.

That boss was really badly presented tbh.
It makes you think you're supposed to fly around like in Doomsday Zone, but it's way easier on the ground. Also, never use the boost button when flying, it's shit that doesn't do anything except make you lose your rings.

ckaneo

Someone PLEASE help me with the Zone 6 boss. You know the one.

Boss is pretty easy. What are you having problems with?

Use spindash to bump the silver sonics into metal sonic.
When that spiked wall is chasing you ignore Metal Sonic and keep running ahead until you are well enough in front that you dont have to worry about it

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
4 playthroughs done:

NL6oECW.png

I really need to go against the grain and say that I think the bosses as a whole in this game are far and away better than any of the classics.

Falk, do I get anything from clearing the additional Blue Sphere stages in the Extras menu? Are there at least fewer of them than there were in Sonic 1 lock-on? I don't want to invest that many hours into this mini-game all over again.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I think that will keep me invested enough in doing multiple playthroughs. :)

Note that after you beat the game, you get the option to jump back into any level you already cleared to finish collecting the emeralds that you missed the first time, as all the giant special stage rings regenerate in a Clear file. So there's no real pressure to go out of the way for them on a first play if you don't really want to.

its so easy

its really too easy

its practically a free gold medal

its easy

but my nerves

the speed

to whoever designed the blue-green blue sphere stage

how could you

Nothing is more anxiety-inducing in Sonic than scrambling to find those last few spheres that you skipped while the stage reaches max speed.

First game over at
Oil Ocean Zone
Act 2 boss. Boo.

I honestly feel that one is glitched on some level. I've died several times on it and I don't even know why.
My first death was on my first try when i'd just destroyed the second arm and Sonic dropped into the oil and died on impact.

Rlan

I really love some of the re-appropriation of Boss / Special functionality of old into new mechanics in new levels.

Press Garden having ninja stars become platforms ala Aquatic Ruin Zone's boss arrows, and Titanic Monarch using the sticky balls of the Sonic 3 bonus stage

Additionally, re-use of some of the most hated enemies in Sonic history into unique instances
Those Sonic CD firefly fuckers becoming a boss. Heavy Shinobi using those bastard Asteron starfish from Metropolis Zone as Ninja stars

I honestly feel that one is glitched on some level. I've died several times on it and I don't even know why.
My first death was on my first try when i'd just destroyed the second arm and Sonic dropped into the oil and died on impact.

That happened to me as well.

All of a sudden Sonic just fell through the "floor" and died. I think it happened right after I destroyed the second gatling tentacle.

Heavy Shinobi using those bastard Asteron starfish from Metropolis Zone as Ninja stars

Minor detail but the Revenge of Shinobi sound effects made that fight awesome.

The next evolution of the game... Sega needs to partner with Nintendo and come up with "Sonic Maker" so we can make our own custom levels with every asset ever used in a Sonic 2D title.

Falk

that puzzling face
Falk, do I get anything from clearing the additional Blue Sphere stages in the Extras menu? Are there at least fewer of them than there were in Sonic 1 lock-on? I don't want to invest that many hours into this mini-game all over again.

I don't know much about the extras except that a little bird told me to beat the game as Knuckles & Knuckles but without collecting the chaos emeralds.

Top Bottom