• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

It literally just happened to me again.
As its arms were rising up I jumped on top because before i'd been able to bounce on it until the main body came up, but this time after one bounce Sonic just fell into the oil and died. The boss itself isn't even hard, it's just everything around it isn't consistent.

I had the same thing, and more than a few other bugs relating to bosses like the music being completely gone in
Stardust Speedway
and somehow managing to spindash off
the plane and die on Mirage Saloon act 1 after the boss had died
. There is also a glitch with Sonic & Tails in
Press Garden
act 2 that lets you skip the boss fight entirely.

jariw

So can you not play with the pro controller/8bitdo controller with the joycons still attached to the switch in table top mode? I can't get it to work. They do work in docked mode though.

I also can't get this to work, even though the Switch OS shows the Pro Controller being the only active controller. Very strange bug. Hope this gets patched.

I wish we'd get a patch to let us assign stuff to other buttons.

Why doesnt grabbing onto tails or super sonic have its own button in 2017.

This would be a nice. Also a button to voluntarily deactivate Super Sonic, maybe let us toggle it off and on since it's a disadvantage in some sections and bosses.

sonto340

So what you're saying is that Sonic 4 is a better game than Sonic Mania.

Get em, boys!
I can’t believe what I’m about to say.

But Sonic 4’s implementation of super sonic is vastly superior to Mania’s

I hate that I’m essentially locked out of doing the drop dash on my file that’s cleared. If I decide. Want to jump in and play at say Mirage Saloon Zone then I either have to play through the entire game again, or play without the drop dash which has become essential to my play style at this point.
It’d be completely trivial to have super sonic be on triangle/x/y to solve this. Id love a patch

I hate that I’m essentially locked out of doing the drop dash on my file that’s cleared. If I decide. Want to jump in and play at say Mirage Saloon Zone then I either have to play through the entire game again, or play without the drop dash which has become essential to my play style at this point.
It’d be completely trivial to have super sonic be on triangle/x/y to solve this. Id love a patch

As I said the other day this is an even bigger issue for knuckles since his exclusive acts have sections that require him to climb which of course can be problematic if you activate super knuckles early in a long stage with only 50 rings.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

You do know you can use the drop dash as Super Sonic, right?

But yeah you should be able to choose whether you actually want to be Super Sonic or not.

RockmanBN

You do know you can use the drop dash as Super Sonic, right?

But yeah you should be able to choose whether you actually want to be Super Sonic or not.

I'd prefer the Sonic 3 Complete approach. To transform, press a jump button like Y and then to transform you need to press a different jump button like B to activate it. Hopefully they add an option to disable Super Music.

Flintty

My 16yo and 10yo sons are playing this now and loving it. I realised something quite cool just now. There's obviously nostalgia for me because I played on the Megadrive as a kid in the 90s. But also for my eldest son. When he was about 6 I bought him a mini Megadrive which had a few games preloaded, kind of like the NES mini, and he played Sonic to death. It's weird that we're both loving retro nostalgia from this game, being reminded of a time in our past 10 years apart, if that makes sense.

Oh and CRT sharp is the only way to play!

I had the same thing, and more than a few other bugs relating to bosses like the music being completely gone in
Stardust Speedway
and somehow managing to spindash off
the plane and die on Mirage Saloon act 1 after the boss had died
. There is also a glitch with Sonic & Tails in
Press Garden
act 2 that lets you skip the boss fight entirely.

Yeah I had a couple of glitches, as well. Mostly during two boss fights, the one in stage 2
the machine... great moment, but I had Sonic getting stuck in it after finishing it
and what you described. I also had one complete shutdown in one of the later stages
Press Garden Act 2, immediately after getting out of the ring and having obtained a chaos emerald
. Did not encounter any music bugs so far, and playing on Switch here - occasionally have the home button not properly working thing.

Those are all small glitches though, and while I hope they will get addressed in patches, they don't break this otherwise phenomenal game. Not that there isn't enough positive reception currently, but I feel with how the franchise developed and how its reception has been even when some entries were good to great, it needs to be put on repeat:

Sonic Mania is a Great great platforming game! This is the Sonic that went head to head with 2D Mario games as a worthy rival (even though they're completely different game experiences in every way possible). This is the Sonic where I go and replay stages not just for time and high score, but because they're damn fun. This is the Sonic with music stuck in my head on my way to work.

As a pixelart fan, I also feel the need to point out one of the people working on the beautiful new sprite artwork (I believe he did Tails and Knuckles among others), Paul Veer (which I've only learned watching the credits).
Pietepiet on Twitter and Superpietepiet on Tumblr. Check him out, he is really amazingly talented and passionate about the Sonic franchise. You might have seen his works in games such as LUFTRAUSERS, Super Crate Box and Nuclear Throne.

tumblr_nutv59iWcG1qbgbeeo1_500.png

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I had a glitch where home button didn't work (at all) had to hard power down console.

Game is ok, I like the bonus stages and find them fucking difficult

Rlan

Also, question:

Blue Spheres from the Extras menu. How does that work, exactly? Is it just a random level or something? The mania ones are actually more crazy it seems with GREEN spheres you need to get twice. But is there an end? A count?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Also, question:

Blue Spheres from the Extras menu. How does that work, exactly? Is it just a random level or something? The mania ones are actually more crazy it seems with GREEN spheres you need to get twice. But is there an end? A count?

I'm basically trying to answer that question myself right now.

pagrab

I am only at the Flying Battery zone but I gotta admit I am loving the game. It is a "Force Awakens of Sonic games" for me. At times similar to the point of feeling like a remake, at times very fresh.

LordKano

Green Hill Zone is completely different with Knuckles but so far Chemical Plant Zone, Studiopolis and Flying Battery are the exact same, and it's so easy to cheese Flying Battery with Knuckle's glide.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Also, question:

I would also like to know this.

Also, question:

They seem to be the same procedurally generated stages as the ones in the original Blue Sphere game, and you're given one at random each time. The Mania stages are actually Blue Sphere 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cACZxuUy6zY

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm noticing enough repeat patterns in Original Blue Sphere to suspect that they function the same as in Sonic 1 lock-on, where stages were divided into 4 quadrants, each of which were drawn from a random 128 distinct quadrant layouts.

There's an old map generator out there for this, although I haven't looked at it enough to confirm that these stages in Mania are pulling from the same set:
https://bsgen-new.neocities.org/

The main thing that makes me wonder if the Mania set is different is that I've run into a few bugs where the sphere/ring count wasn't accurate. I'd have expected this to not be a problem if they had just ported over the original level set unchanged.

Would really like to know if there's a point to doing any of these.

EDIT: After looking at the linked page above some more, I strongly suspect that these are same as in the original lock-on Blue Sphere game.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I don't like Super Sonic as well. It triggers if you press the jump button in the air, this is completely normal for classic Sonic games but I wish a different button would be used for it now. I don't like SS form at all, the jump timing is completely different and momentum building is lmao. I'd rather play w/o chaos emeralds lol.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah I don't like Super Sonic as well. It triggers if you press the jump button in the air, this is completely normal for classic Sonic games but I wish a different button would be used for it now. I don't like SS form at all, the jump timing is completely different and momentum building is lmao. I'd rather play w/o chaos emeralds lol.

He's implemented better in this game compared to 3&K where even if you jump and press the jump button midair with a shield on he'll transform. Now he won't transform with a shield on.

Even when you limit it solely to localized games, his name has been Eggman longer than it's been Robotnik.

It's still both since they made Robotnik his "real" name and Eggman a nickname. That he just ran with for whatever reason.

I hated the sphere bonus stages in Sonic 3 and I hate them now. This game is hitting the nostalgic vibes real heavy.

Also I'm elated that
Hydrocity
made the cut for Sonic Mania. Loved the underground aquatic ruin theme and music then and it still holds up now.

Sidenote, it's a real bummer playing this on the Switch in portable mode. The headphone volume output is so low.

Lies.

He has always been Robotnik here in Blighty :D

True, but Eggman is his actual Japanese name, and at least it's been made "canon" that Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a nickname (one that he himself is OK with).

UK definitely did the best job of creating Sonic "lore" though. I liked the whole Kintobor/Robotnik backstory from Sonic the Comic.

I use Robotnik and Eggman interchangeably these days. It's like King Koopa and Bowser, both names are fine. I didn't hear the name Bowser til the N64 days even though I'd been playing Mario games since the 80s.

Eggman feels easier to say, I think...

Branduil

It's even more annoying with Super Knuckles because you really have to use his glide ability.

entremet

Any news on any upcoming OST release? I'm getting the vinyl album but would love to know if this will be available on streaming services.

TannerDemoz

Third time in a row game has crashed at the end of Chemical Plant Zone 2...

In and out of handheld mode on Switch. Realllllly frustrating...

Seik

Banned
Anyone have some useful tips for the Emerald Bonus Stages?

I get by fine for the first two...then I always end up having trouble reaching the damn fucking thing.

taku

Third time in a row game has crashed at the end of Chemical Plant Zone 2...

In and out of handheld mode on Switch. Realllllly frustrating...
Oh so it is a thing! I was afraid it was just me since no one answered my post about it. Anyway, I'm sure they'll patch it eventually.

Top Bottom