• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Anyone have some useful tips for the Emerald Bonus Stages?

I get by fine for the first two...then I always end up having trouble reaching the damn fucking thing.

I'd say my tips were:

-Focus on rings more than spheres. You'll naturally collect enough spheres generally because they're hard to miss.

-Some corners can be cut, you might have to jump from 'island' to 'island' to cut them. Jumping can help you turn a little sharper.

-When you hit Mach 3, you want to have enough rings by then to not be worrying about the timer. If you focussed on the rings quickly Mach 3 is where you just want to worry about taking the most efficient route. Ignore all spheres completely and just blaze a route and cut any corner you can safely get over.

Flintty

Wing Fortress in Sonic 2 says EGGMAN on the side of it

Lol well I choose to ignore that :p

Didn't he even have his own Dr Robotnik titled game in the UK? Mean bean machine or something.

True, but Eggman is his actual Japanese name, and at least it's been made "canon" that Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a nickname (one that he himself is OK with).

UK definitely did the best job of creating Sonic "lore" though. I liked the whole Kintobor/Robotnik backstory from Sonic the Comic.

Yeah it really confused me when I first found this out after they started officially calling him Eggman here in the noughties.

MetalSlug

I hated the sphere bonus stages in Sonic 3 and I hate them now. This game is hitting the nostalgic vibes real heavy.

Also I'm elated that
Hydrocity
made the cut for Sonic Mania. Loved the underground aquatic ruin theme and music then and it still holds up now.

Sidenote, it's a real bummer playing this on the Switch in portable mode. The headphone volume output is so low.

My volume output is really loud on the Switch. Though for stuff like Zelda it's really quiet.

Loz246789

Anyone have some useful tips for the Emerald Bonus Stages?

I get by fine for the first two...then I always end up having trouble reaching the damn fucking thing.

Whilst there's the obvious time limit of how many rings you have left, if you let the ufo get too far away then you're just not going to catch up, even at mach 3. Don't worry about rings early on unless they're on the way, or you really need them. Focus on blue spheres instead, and get to mach 3 as soon as possible, or at least mach 2 to stop the distance from increasing too much if you really need the rings.

Once you're at mach 3, blue spheres are just for points, so don't worry about them then.

Whilst you travel faster on the main path, some corners are worth cutting if there's no bouncing walls in the way.

There are bouncing ramps in some stages,
ignore those unless you need whatever they lead to, or they help you get across something you can't jump. They're slow.

Finally,if you come across a blue arrow container thing, the ideal point to pick it up is just after you reach mach 2. It will automatically jump you to the beginning of the next mach level, and it's unlikely that you'll have picked up zero blue spheres before finding one.

Bought the Switch version. I am having lots of fun so far. It feels like I am a kid again playing the first Sonic games on my Genesis. The new emerald bonus game is interesting, but I am pretty bad at it. I decided to not worry about gathering chaos emeralds on my first go. The bosses have been fun and creative so far. The second zone act 2 boss really put a smile on my face. The only frustrating thing is the hit box for getting crushed seems off to me. I lost a couple lives jumping those rotating square blocks in chemical plant when it didn't feel like I crushed myself at all.

I found something I don't like in Mania as much as a previous game:

5724a2a.png

The desert version of these little turtle cuties aren't as cute! :3

MrBadger

Lol well I choose to ignore that :p

Didn't he even have his own Dr Robotnik titled game in the UK? Mean bean machine or something.

He did, but it used his western design from the cartoons

In my mind, this guy is Dr Robotnik, and the guy in all the games is Eggman

I like how I still hit the jump button when jumping near or on enemies, to use the instant shield.

But I only instinctively do this on the S3K stages.

I think the reverse is gonna be true for me. I can see myself instinctively trying to drop dash when playing the old ones

Ducktail

Press Garden Act 2 is one of the most beautiful and well realized Sonic stages ever. Act 1 was quite bland, but my God, act 2. It does seem like a crazy Sonic game made for the Sega Saturn.

I'd prefer the Sonic 3 Complete approach. To transform, press a jump button like Y and then to transform you need to press a different jump button like B to activate it. Hopefully they add an option to disable Super Music.
You could also transform back to normal so you wouldn't waste rings on long cutscenes such as meeting Knuckles in Launch Base Act 2

Does the game auto-save after every act or zone? I'd like to try the CRT filter but don't want to lose progress by quitting the game to access the options.

He did, but it used his western design from the cartoons

In my mind, this guy is Dr Robotnik, and the guy in all the games is Eggman

I think the reverse is gonna be true for me. I can see myself instinctively trying to drop dash when playing the old ones

His grandfather is Gerald Robotnik Jap/US so they kinda merged it?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Right, so the true final boss is all kinds of awful. And it commits one of the unforgivable gaming sins. Starting with an unskippable cutscene every time.

Is there a list anywhere of what the blue sphere medals unlock? I like blue sphere but some of these stages are killer and I'd like to know if it's worth the effort.

Just went from 14 lives to game over on the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss. Way to completely ruin the mood this morning 😔 Tails is easy mode on stages and hard mode on bosses for me

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is there a list anywhere of what the blue sphere medals unlock? I like blue sphere but some of these stages are killer and I'd like to know if it's worth the effort.
Mean Bean Machine/Puyo Puyo mode, Sound test, Blue Spheres (yes, MORE blue spheres!) debug mode, &Knuckles mode, the peel out and insta shield.

I'm assuming all of those were unlocked by blue spheres anyway.

Chase17

Just got through MMZ Act 2. Not sure how that boss fight works. Was too focused on dodging but I guess I waited it out lol.

13ruce

Banned
Eggman is his nickname and his true name is Ivo Robotnik still.

Quite from wiki:
Yuji Naka has explained that Robotnik is the character's true last name while Eggman is a "common name taken after his shape.

So the west just adapted to the Japanese nickname but his true name still is Ivo Robotnik.

Personally i like both and i am glad both are canon things you can call him still. I prefer Doctor Robotnik slightly more than Doctor Eggman tho:p

FinalAres

Also for a sequel I'd like to see Amy playable and all new zones...not ONE green hill checkerboard motif not one.

Yeah I would like the next game to be a Sonic 4Ever and have 4 playable characters. Would Amy be interesting though? We don't want to start going the way 3D Sonic went with too many characters diluting the quality.

muteki

I found something I don't like in Mania as much as a previous game:

The desert version of these little turtle cuties aren't as cute! :3

Armadillos are cute though.

Yeah I would like the next game to be a Sonic 4Ever and have 4 playable characters. Would Amy be interesting though? We don't want to start going the way 3D Sonic went with too many characters diluting the quality.
The problem we started having with the extra characters was more to do with how using some of them made for a completely different game (big -> fishing). An Amy character that is still primarily run and jump through the same levels but with a new ability/twist like Tails or Knuckles should be welcome.

ZeroD

Uh so regarding something that can be done on the title screen (this might be a spoiler)

i somehow accessed the level select and sound test earlier when booting the game up. How did that happen? I was using the pro controller on the switch

Did I press some sort of button combo without knowing?

Kyari

Also for a sequel I'd like to see Amy playable and all new zones...not ONE green hill checkerboard motif not one.

I'd straight up just pay for extra characters like Amy as DLC for this :<

PC version is going to get ripped to pieces and rebuilt for that purpose almost immediately.

Yeah I had a couple of glitches, as well. Mostly during two boss fights, the one in stage 2
the machine... great moment, but I had Sonic getting stuck in it after finishing it
and what you described. I also had one complete shutdown in one of the later stages
Press Garden Act 2, immediately after getting out of the ring and having obtained a chaos emerald
. Did not encounter any music bugs so far, and playing on Switch here - occasionally have the home button not properly working thing.

Those are all small glitches though, and while I hope they will get addressed in patches, they don't break this otherwise phenomenal game. Not that there isn't enough positive reception currently, but I feel with how the franchise developed and how its reception has been even when some entries were good to great, it needs to be put on repeat:

Sonic Mania is a Great great platforming game! This is the Sonic that went head to head with 2D Mario games as a worthy rival (even though they're completely different game experiences in every way possible). This is the Sonic where I go and replay stages not just for time and high score, but because they're damn fun. This is the Sonic with music stuck in my head on my way to work.

As a pixelart fan, I also feel the need to point out one of the people working on the beautiful new sprite artwork (I believe he did Tails and Knuckles among others), Paul Veer (which I've only learned watching the credits).
Pietepiet on Twitter and Superpietepiet on Tumblr. Check him out, he is really amazingly talented and passionate about the Sonic franchise. You might have seen his works in games such as LUFTRAUSERS, Super Crate Box and Nuclear Throne.

tumblr_nutv59iWcG1qbgbeeo1_500.png

Nice art, but green eyes sonic is trash.

The Sonic Advance trilogy showed 4-5 playable characters in a 2D Sonic worked fine

I just want my playable Advance Amy

Just went from 14 lives to game over on the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss. Way to completely ruin the mood this morning &#128532; Tails is easy mode on stages and hard mode on bosses for me

Same, this one rinsed an easy 11 lives off me. I didn't get a Game Over here, but it definitely meant I was due one in the next couple of acts... yep.

On paper it's quite an easy boss
but the projectiles are so hard to dodge from the tentacles if you don't take them out, you can glitch-die in the oil when the platforms disappear and your coins are lost once they hit the oil which combine to make it a life-sink.

The only part of the game I'd say seriously needs fixing.

FSLink

Banned
The Blue Spheres aren't bad but it's getting gold that makes you want to throw your switch

You don't have to get gold to get the unlocks though.

Same, this one rinsed an easy 11 lives off me. I didn't get a Game Over here, but it definitely meant I was due one in the next couple of acts... yep.

On paper it's quite an easy boss
but the projectiles are so hard to dodge from the tentacles if you don't take them out, you can glitch-die in the oil when the platforms disappear and your coins are lost once they hit the oil which combine to make it a life-sink.

The only part of the game I'd say seriously needs fixing.

I only died twice, was one of the easier bosses for me. Projectiles weren't too hard to dodge if you're on the farthest platform away from the boss. Or if you mean the ones that shoot down at you, I kinda just was near the boss and jumped away to avoid them.

muteki

Speaking of Armadillos, I'm surprised they
didn't sneak a Mighty cameo in, after Fang, Bean and Bark showed up. He should've been passed out at one of the Mirage Saloon bars

I'd like to think the "K" on the elevator is for Chaotix, but I know that isn't true :(

SkylineRKR

Honestly, don't bother with the chaos emeralds if you think the special stages are shit. Super Sonic isn't fun to use imo, and the extra stuff at the end isn't worth it.

For those special stages, follow the UFO at all times. Don't stray from his route. Grab rings along the way, don't go out of the way to grab them.

Amy makes the cut off as classic characters are concerned.

Plus it's always nice for the ladies to have someone they can play as if they would like to do so.

Top Bottom