• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

TheGrizz

So this game is really tickling my nostalgia bone right now. I remember playing this on my old Genesis when I was a kid and loving it all.

My question; is this good for an almost 5 year old or would it be too much to handle at that age? I really want to show my son what I played as a kid. He loves Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, so I'm thinking he might appreciate a platformer. Thanks in advance!

Mean Bean Machine/Puyo Puyo mode, Sound test, Blue Spheres (yes, MORE blue spheres!) debug mode, &Knuckles mode, the peel out and insta shield.

I'm assuming all of those were unlocked by blue spheres anyway.

I've gathered most of that by this point, but I'm curious about how many and what type of medals it takes to get each. If the reward for 100% perfect is something I don't particularly care about I'll be happier as a non-completionist.

nowarning

True, but Eggman is his actual Japanese name, and at least it's been made "canon" that Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a nickname (one that he himself is OK with).

UK definitely did the best job of creating Sonic "lore" though. I liked the whole Kintobor/Robotnik backstory from Sonic the Comic.

Sure I had that one. Sonic is brown, running in some machine for Dr Kintobor who is good, then it goes wrong, turns him into evil Robotnic and Sonic gets his blue color and speed? I vividly remember reading that as a kid

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just started my Knuckles playthrough. Only beaten Green Hill and I already have 4 chaos emeralds. Man these things are so much easier to find when you can glide and climb. Knuckles still the best character.

I'm only about 2/3 of the way through but this really is one of the best platformers in ages. I grew up with Nintendo platformers and only played Sonic at my friend's house, but developed more of an appreciation in recent years (thanks, M2!).

But playing this has made me think less of every recent Nintendo platformer, most obviously the NSMB series (everyone agrees that's pretty stale now), but even the better ones, like Yoshi's Woolly World and DKTF. The combination of gameplay, level layouts, beautiful 2D visuals/animation and definitely music just makes the others seem almost phoned in and formulaic by comparison. Which is bizarre considering how close a match this is to original Sonic. Just the effort on display here seems orders of magnitude greater or maybe it's just seems so fresh since it's been so long coming.

As a big Saturn fan, i also get a huge kick out of imagining this as a Saturn game. I played a little of the originals via Sonic Jam earlier, and it's amazing how close the 2D seems in your mind to the originals, but it's actually far in excess of what they were doing back then.

It's basically got me thinking how awesome a true 2D Mario could be with this level of expression and passion behind it. There was a glimpse in Mario Maker of the kind of improvements they could make with 2D visuals, and certainly some crazy ideas with the combinations of items and such, but it would be so great to get the same kind of game as this - Super Mario Bros. 5, picking up right after Super Mario World.

That said, i could have done without any water stages (just not a fan) and as others have mentioned, something done about the insta-death block squishing, which can be infuriating!

But it says a lot that i've already started fresh saves a few times just because every stage makes me want to jump right back into it instead of moving onto the next! There's so many paths and secrets, and for some reason, it doesn't agitate me much that you often speed past or lock yourself out from going back, which was more of an annoyance in the original games. Not sure why that is!

JonCha

Just started my Knuckles playthrough. Only beaten Green Hill and I already have 4 chaos emeralds. Man these things are so much easier to find when you can glide and climb. Knuckles still the best character.

Yeah I got all the emeralds with Knuckles and I enjoyed playing as him much more actually. Probably something to do with being able to climb around stages and the fact that they are all a little bit different.

Chase17

So I guess if you take 10 minutes it is insta death. Whoops!

Just beat the TMZ zone. Liked the game a lot! Will have to go through it again with either Tails or Knuckles. I'm pretty bad at the special stages so that may be a problem if I go for those in a later playthrough.

Soundtrack is fantastic.

sonto340

Kind of annoying that being super doesn't protect you from
ice.
theres at least one spot where you have to be an ice block to proceed. It’d be rude if they blocked you out from finishing a level as super.
Just finished a knuckles playthrough all in one go. Whew. I’m up way past my bed time.

So this game is really tickling my nostalgia bone right now. I remember playing this on my old Genesis when I was a kid and loving it all.

My question; is this good for an almost 5 year old or would it be too much to handle at that age? I really want to show my son what I played as a kid. He loves Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, so I'm thinking he might appreciate a platformer. Thanks in advance!

I grew up playing Sonic 2 and 3K, at around that age and enjoyed them a lot. I don't think this game is any harder than 3K. A kid should do just fine playing it, but he probably won't be able to beat it right away. But neither did I, I didn't beat Sonic 2 until a decade after I first played it. Didn't stop me from enjoying it.

All the leaderboards are different per console, I hate that :/

Just noticed with the switch version you can't manually roll by pressing down if either left or right are being held on the joycon, lame.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I don't see how a 5-year old could possibly not be entertained by an anthropomorphic primary-colored ball zipping through loops and jumping off ramps all the while constantly shifting backdrops with attention grabbing colors, lights, and other robot animals fill the screen. I think it may be the easiest game recommendation for a young child that isn't Mario Kart(even if it is difficult, chances are they will still love it). ;)

Poona

Could have him play as Tails, whilst you do Sonic to see how things go if you're unsure. Just grab another controller and the other person can play as Tails instead of letting him be AI controlled.

It doesn't matter if Tails dies in that mode alongside Sonic either as he just keeps coming back.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really need to go against the grain and say that I think the bosses as a whole in this game are far and away better than any of the classics.

I actually would have liked some of the gimmicks toned down for the bosses. Lots of creativity on display that is commendable, but many end up feeling tired as you wait for the window of opportunity through some rather long patterns or other nonsense.

I suppose I just miss the simplicity of a duel, trying to hit Robotnik while avoiding his evolved weaponry and gadgets. Mania doesn't have as many direct boss fights, quite a few are indirect conflicts.

Well, I've completed Sonic Mania with and without all the Chaos Emeralds. What a trip!

After a sluggish start - not sure I would have placed Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant next to each other - it really ramped up into something special for e,

From Flying Battery onwards I was blown away. Old acts were reinvigorated with fresh ideas and new zones contained some truly stellar design.

In fact, I'd say Mania has some of the strongest level design not just in the franchise, but the genre.

Hyrodcity was fantastic, as was Metallic Madness. Press Garden was perhaps my favourite new stage, though Titanic Monarch was an incredibly satisfying zone to bring the game to a close.

It was also nice to see Lava Reef and Oil Ocean make an appearance, particularly as neither tend to get much fanfare.

The bosses reminded me of Sonic CD, with most having a specific gimmick to wrap your head around. I loved them, but they were a touch easy I thought.

Overall, I thought it was an excellent return to form. Bravo to the team for delivering the kind of game that many of us thought we would never see again. They nailed it.

Should this game be kicking my ass, or am I getting too old?

It depends on your history and skill level with Sonic games.

I breeze through the levels without much issue, since Sonic 2 was one of my first games and I've been playing Sonic for 25 years, so I know mostly what to look for and what to do.

There's been a few bosses I've had trouble with, but some practice and abuse of i-frames and they weren't bad.

The special stages have been a hassle, but Blue Spheres is no big deal, I used to mess around with those via S+K Lock On for most of my childhood.

But I can easily see how this game might be challenging if someone doesn't have a lot of Sonic experience.

prophecy0

But playing this has made me think less of every recent Nintendo platformer, most obviously the NSMB series (everyone agrees that's pretty stale now), but even the better ones, like Yoshi's Woolly World and DKTF. The combination of gameplay, level layouts, beautiful 2D visuals/animation and definitely music just makes the others seem almost phoned in and formulaic by comparison. Which is bizarre considering how close a match this is to original Sonic. Just the effort on display here seems orders of magnitude greater or maybe it's just seems so fresh since it's been so long coming.

I love Sonic Mania. It makes me feel like a kid again! I also think a lot of Nintendo's recent "2D" platfomers have been pretty generic. HOWEVER, I can't agree at all that Tropical Feeze is formulaic or phoned in. Every single level in that game has some sort of unique gimmick. The music is amazing and all of the platforms are integrated with the game world in a way that it all feels lived in. It's clear that DKTF was a labor of love and it's a shame that it released on the Wii U and hardly anyone played it. DKTF deserves a re-release on the Switch.

Sanjuro

Depends on how experienced with Sonic you are.

Very experienced up until the 90s.

It depends on your history and skill level with Sonic games.

I breeze through the levels without much issue, since Sonic 2 was one of my first games and I've been playing Sonic for 25 years, so I know mostly what to look for and what to do.

There's been a few bosses I've had trouble with, but some practice and abuse of i-frames and they weren't bad.

The special stages have been a hassle, but Blue Spheres is no big deal, I used to mess around with those via S+K Lock On for most of my childhood.

But I can easily see how this game might be challenging if someone doesn't have a lot of Sonic experience.

I used to be great at the blue sphere stages, but reached a point where I keep messing up.

Mark1

True, but Eggman is his actual Japanese name, and at least it's been made "canon" that Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a nickname (one that he himself is OK with).

UK definitely did the best job of creating Sonic "lore" though. I liked the whole Kintobor/Robotnik backstory from Sonic the Comic.
Grew up with these comics too, memories are coming back to me. Their green eye explanation was an interesting one...

dolabla

I also can't get this to work, even though the Switch OS shows the Pro Controller being the only active controller. Very strange bug. Hope this gets patched.

Yep, same here. I tried both controllers just make sure it wasn't one or the other. The only button that works on both is the home button to get back to the Switch menu. I really hope they fix this.

Mark1

Mania is a joy to play on the commute. Very suited for the Switch. Looks beautiful on the 720p screen as well. Runs identically to other versions

Use the CRT filter too

Flintty

Mania is a joy to play on the commute. Very suited for the Switch. Looks beautiful on the 720p screen as well. Runs identically to other versions

Use the CRT filter too

Yup. It looks glorious in handheld mode, really showing off how good the screen is. CRT sharp is definitely the best filter for me!

Ferr986

I have a Chaos Emerald question. Don't think it's a spoiler but better safe than sorry -
Do Tails and Knuckles have super forms or is it like every post-3K Sonic game?

For some reason the funniest part to me was the
third Knuckles waiting in the escape pod

They do

Arkeband

Banned

As a former 5 year old who learned to play games starting with Sonic 1, the first level might be okay but some of the later levels are a little complicated. I'd definitely sit by and help him when he gets stuck. I distinctly remember having the most fun as a kid just replaying Green Hill Zone and seeing how far I could get in Chemical Plant Zone.

I love this game so much iam sad that the Xbox One version is so shoddy for me right now. Aside from performance issues are people having Achievement problems too?

DarkKyo

About 75% through the game at this point. It's already my favorite game on the Switch at this point in time. So pleasurable to play this on this system, it's hard to put it into words.

Top Bottom