• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Branduil

Super Knuckles is kind of annoying tbh. You're basically forced to go super as soon as you can, which makes the rest of the level a race against the clock.

There's a set in Flying Battery Zone too. Reminded me exactly of the same set in Sonic & Knuckles that leads you to a special stage.

It's in exactly the same room that the original SK moveable spikes were in. That's the only reason I knew to specifically move those spikes.

Not really sure how I found out about it as a kid.

HOWEVER, I can't agree at all that Tropical Feeze is formulaic or phoned in. Every single level in that game has some sort of unique gimmick. The music is amazing and all of the platforms are integrated with the game world in a way that it all feels lived in.

Don't get me wrong, DKTF is a great, very refined game, but not a lot stood out to me over and above DKCR. Maybe i was burned out because i'd replayed that on 3DS just before TF, but as it went on i got kind of tired of the longer levels, and started to get frustrated as it becomes less and less likely I was going to make it through the level on my first attempt. Probably just my impatience though, i do need to give a it a replay.

To clarify Woolly World as well, that game's also great and filled with unique stuff through every level. The best Yoshi since SNES for sure, but the pace and mood of it kinda makes it seem less exciting, a more sedate experience. Sonic here is kind of yelling in my face how fun it is.

Nintendo has no trouble making platformers, so it's as if the games reflect that in a way. This feels like huge odds have been overcome!

hawk2025

My one complaint so far is that I keep going for the blue spheres bonus stages, and that's just way slowing down the game and dominating my playtime.

Trying to resist entering any more :)

Just ragequit at the
Oil Ocean boss. Why the fuck is standing on the platforms when they go down an instakill? Is this intentional or a bug? I was trying to hit those spheres, got bounced back onto a platform right as it was pulled down and died immediately.

The bosses to me are the only weakpoint in this game so far. They seem to have some weirdly inconsistent difficulty spikes.

My one complaint so far is that I keep going for the blue spheres bonus stages, and that's just way slowing down the game and dominating my playtime.

Trying to resist entering any more :)

Bro I hate to say this but you got to do them to unlock all the cool extra stuff.

muteki

Just ragequit at the
Oil Ocean boss. Why the fuck is standing on the platforms when they go down an instakill? Is this intentional or a bug? I was trying to hit those spheres, got bounced back onto a platform right as it was pulled down and died immediately.

The bosses to me are the only weakpoint in this game so far. They seem to have some weirdly inconsistent difficulty spikes.

I have to think it is a bug, as it doesn't happen every time. It seemed to happen more to me when I was on the far left, I dunno.

It was a pretty lame boss though, I can kinda see how it could be creative but compared to previous references it kinda falls flat for me.

RomanceDawn

So this game is really tickling my nostalgia bone right now. I remember playing this on my old Genesis when I was a kid and loving it all.

My question; is this good for an almost 5 year old or would it be too much to handle at that age? I really want to show my son what I played as a kid. He loves Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, so I'm thinking he might appreciate a platformer. Thanks in advance!

My 5 year old loves it. Though if yours is like mine, yours may have trouble with 2D side scrollers cause all he is used to is complex 3D games and controls like Breath of the Wild and Mario 3D World. I seriously don't get it.

Just ragequit at the

It's intentional. That boss is actually really easy if you know what to do.

At the beginning, get in a few hits when he first appears.

When the laser arm appears, stand in the middle platform and avoid his attacks. You'll have less room to work with, but it's not very difficult. (If you stand on one of the platforms on the edge of the screen, it's much more difficult to get to safety later)

When the two arms appear, attack one of the top, silver sections a couple times.

Before the platform is taken down, jump off it.

Jump to the one platform still standing at one of the edges of the screen and easily avoid the projectile attacks.

Rinse and repeat until one or both of the silver sections of the boss has been destroyed. If you destroy one, his projectiles are much easier to avoid while in the oil. If you destroy both, he's a pushover.

A lot of people (myself included) try to rush this boss just to get it finished. It you take your time, it's pretty easy.

Also, if you manage to make it to the boss with a fire shield (there are at least two found in the level), he's a joke, as his projectiles bounce right off you!

KodaRuss

Flying battery is kinda kicking my butt a little I am ashamed to admit but I really havent had much time to play. Anyway, loving the game on the Switch it is pure bliss.

sonto340

on the joycon if I hold a direction and then press down while holding said direction, sonic does not roll, it's messnig up my time attacks.
Either you’re wrong or Your joycon is broken. I’ve almost 100% completed everything on my switch copy and I constantly press both right/left and down to roll. Never once had a problem with it.

jman2050

Getting to the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss with a fire shield makes the entire thing free cause the tentacle projectiles bounce off you and the main body does nothing on its own anyway.

Furthermore I think a lot of people get instinctively scared of the
oil
but it's by far the safest place to be when the platforms start going down.

I found something I don't like in Mania as much as a previous game:
The desert version of these little turtle cuties aren't as cute! :3
But they're superior Armadillos!

Speaking of Armadillos, I'm surprised they
didn't sneak a Mighty cameo in, after Fang, Bean and Bark showed up. He should've been passed out at one of the Mirage Saloon bars

I was waiting for this, it never happened and I was sad.

Getting to the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss with a fire shield makes the entire thing free cause the tentacle projectiles bounce off you and the main body does nothing on its own anyway.

Furthermore I think a lot of people get instinctively scared of the
oil
but it's by far the safest place to be when the platforms start going down.

Yep, and you can cheese the Projectile part by staying under the platform and just jumping so you don't drown.

I do this all the time. You sure you're doing it right?

Either you're wrong or Your joycon is broken. I've almost 100% completed everything on my switch copy and I constantly press both right/left and down to roll. Never once had a problem with it.

I even used two fingers to press each button and was unable to roll, the game has been asleep in time attack all night so maybe i'll reboot it and see what's up. I can roll as long as i'm not holding left or right, I would drop dash but there's moments in time attacks where rolling is better so it's kind of needed.

hawk2025

Bro I hate to say this but you got to do them to unlock all the cool extra stuff.

I don't mind doing them eventually, it's just that if I enter every lamppost, I'll be spending more time in the bonus stages than actually playing Sonic.

It doesn't feel like the right balance.

Sami+

I even used two fingers to press each button and was unable to roll, the game has been asleep in time attack all night so maybe i'll reboot it and see what's up. I can roll as long as i'm not holding left or right, I would drop dash but there's moments in time attacks where rolling is better so it's kind of needed.

No, you're definitely right. The same happens to me. You can only run into a roll by letting go of the right or left buttons, sliding your thumb down while still holding in a direction doesn't do anything.

Mik2121

Happens the same to me. I will try again as well later on, but I started to go crazy thinking maybe they took the option out or something.

muteki

I don't mind doing them eventually, it's just that if I enter every lamppost, I'll be spending more time in the bonus stages than actually playing Sonic.

I agree, as much as I like blue sphere. The lower ring quota doesn't help.

Future

Collect the Blue (not red) spheres is the only pacing problem with this game. It's so easy to get the coin limit you need and there are tons of checkpoint posts

I've just stopped activating them.... even though I know sooner or later I will have to to 100% this thing. The other special stage where you chase the UFO is awesome but I feel like I've done those 2% of the time with almost half dedicated to freakin avoid red spheres

sonto340

I guess I could have been pressing in such a way to let go of right or left but I feel like it would have caused some more problems for me at some point.
If that’s the case it needs patched immediately.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Collect the Blue (not red) spheres is the only pacing problem with this game. It's so easy to get the coin limit you need and there are tons of checkpoint posts

I've just stopped activating them.... even though I know sooner or later I will have to to 100% this thing. The other special stage where you chase the UFO is awesome but I feel like I've done those 2% of the time with almost half dedicated to freakin avoid red spheres
Blue Spheres were designed to be a rare bonus stage, not a stage you're accessing every minute. They're simply too long cor how often you play them. Blue Spheres suit the hidden ring formula, not the checkpoint bonus stage. The reason the bonus stages from checkpoints in 3&K worked so well is because they were short.

Finished the game this morning. I didn't get all emeralds on the playthrough.

Loved it overall except the final Zone and Boss were pretty annoying.

I'll finish it again now that I got all emeralds and see what's different.

totowhoa

Banned
What kind of replay value does this game have? I played a fair bit of Sonic growing up but never owned a Genesis, so I'm not really sure what to expect there. Like, I know you could always collect things on the bonus stages to unlock some stuff... but I'm just really curious what's here in this game. I don't even really know what collecting stuff in the old games even did

SkylineRKR

Yeah BS takes too long. You can easily activate 4 per act. Sometimes i even get pushed into one, while i didn't feel like playing it.

Should've been a main menu minigame while a slot machine is at a post for 50 rings.

Berordn

I love blue spheres and I'm glad it's there in such abundance, but I agree that as a bonus stage that provided few actual in-game bonuses it's a bit of a weird fit.

Not sure how else you would balance it if you want to use it for unlocking stuff still.

hawk2025

I love blue spheres and I'm glad it's there in such abundance, but I agree that as a bonus stage that provided few actual in-game bonuses it's a bit of a weird fit.

Not sure how else you would balance it if you want to use it for unlocking stuff still.

Put 'em on the main menu as an extra mode.

Honestly, the more I play this, I feel that it may be one of my favorite games of all time. I've always loved the classic Sonic games, but none of them made me feel like this.

Berordn

Put 'em on the main menu as an extra mode.

Sure but then you're unlocking stuff without playing the actual game, which is what it seems the intended gameplay loop was.

Unless you only unlock stages by playing the game, I guess. It just kinda kills the good gameplay = reward relationship they have.

Conezays

"Beat" it this morning. Overall, I had a great time and thought the art, level design, and music were all very well done. I do think some areas could've perhaps been shortened just for pacing's sake, but there's a lot to be positive about with this package. Looking forward to diving back in with different characters and finding secrets. Didn't feel the game was that difficult given one has unlimited continues by default.

Not that they're the exact same, but definitely check out Freedom Planet if you're a fan of 2D Sonic.

Kinsei

Banned
What kind of replay value does this game have? I played a fair bit of Sonic growing up but never owned a Genesis, so I'm not really sure what to expect there. Like, I know you could always collect things on the bonus stages to unlock some stuff... but I'm just really curious what's here in this game. I don't even really know what collecting stuff in the old games even did

There are three playable characters (and two of them have unique stages), finding all the chaos emeralds to unlock the super form of your character as well as the true final stage (Sonic only). There's also a bunch of blue sphere stages to go through in order to unlock various bonuses.

jobrro

I agree, as much as I like blue sphere. The lower ring quota doesn't help.

The quota is so low I didn't even realize their was one until I read about it. I thought it was just every checkpoint. I think I stopped jumping in intentionally by Zone 2 as it killed the pacing if you try every time.

Still accidentally ended up in there a few time, sometimes I would purposefully hit a red.

hawk2025

Sure but then you're unlocking stuff without playing the actual game, which is what it seems the intended gameplay loop was.

Unless you only unlock stages by playing the game, I guess. It just kinda kills the good gameplay/reward they have.

I don't think it's a good gameplay/reward setup to have you spend half of your first time through the game in bonus stages.

"Gameplay loop" with constant rewards don't make sense in a throwback Sonic game, anyways. It's the one flaw in this game I've seen.

But, again, minor -- I'm ignoring most of the lampposts at this point, but nevertheless they create awkward incentives.

Ah I see what you are saying. Yeah, I agree I think it kinda kills the pace of the games. Hell sometimes you get bumped into one even if you didn't want to.

conpfreak

Flying battery is kinda kicking my butt a little I am ashamed to admit but I really havent had much time to play. Anyway, loving the game on the Switch it is pure bliss.

Yeah, the boss for that stage kicked my ass twice. Wish I didn't have to start the whole stage over after a Game Over, but it's cool to find different paths with playing through the two acts again without much effort.

Top Bottom