• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

devonodev

Beat the game first time, god damn its amazing, I can't believe how cheap this was.

$26 AUD, Bomberman R cost $90 think about that. I get why the Sonic fanbase gets so creepy now.

I personally prefer the sprite model in the first two games to Sonic 3. I wouldn't mind seeing an evolution of it though for a follow-up...

muteki

Wish they'd used the Sonic 3 sprite model instead of Sonic 2. Same with
Metal Sonic.
The one in Knuckles looks way better.

While I like the version in 3, I feel like if you are going to have only one
Metal Sonic
in the game, they probably chose the right one.

hawk2025

I do love the Chaos emerald bonus stages, though!

I'm still stuck on the fourth after a couple of tries, I seem to run out if time before Mach 3 kicks in despite grabbing most of the orbs and not hitting any slowdown patches?

Maybe there's a shortcut I'm missing?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've found what I'm going to call a design oversight for Competition Mode.

If either player receives a Game Over, then the round point is awarded to his opponent, and the match ends there. The problem is that the total score for all previous rounds is still factored into the final tally. This means that if either player ever obtains a 2-point lead, then he can intentionally kill himself in the next round to secure a guaranteed 1-point victory.

dNTpt5c.png

In the match above, Sonic won the first 2 rounds and then intentionally killed himself in round 3. This gives Tails the 3rd round point, but the match ends 2-1 in Sonic's favor because of the prior results.

I think a Game Over ought to be an instant match loss for that player instead, regardless of what the previous results were. Like, make the Game Over award all remaining rounds to the opponent instead of just the current round. Either that or play out the remaining rounds until one player obtains an insurmountable lead.

I think it's only 15.

It's definitely at least 20.

JonCha

I do love the Chaos emerald bonus stages, though!

I'm still stuck on the fourth after a couple of tries, I seem to run out if time before Mach 3 kicks in despite grabbing most of the orbs and not hitting any slowdown patches?

Maybe there's a shortcut I'm missing?

You know that rings increase the timer right?

While I like the version in 3, I feel like if you are going to have only one
Metal Sonic
in the game, they probably chose the right one.

But they didn't. They chose two.

Actually, something stuck out at me,
on each side of the area, it looks like there are green tubes with more Metal Sonics in them. I figure they're Sonic Adventure references to Metal being in a tube there, but was he using the machine to reproduce himself? And the reason he was popping out goofy little Silver Sonics was because he didn't have time to make more clones?

I wonder if that was even a vague Brotherhood of Metallix callback.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Should I not hold off on purchasing this digitally in anticipation of an unannounced physical version for PS4? It's otherwise the only reason I haven't bought it yet but I hate buying things digitally. :[

Falk

that puzzling face

on each side of the area, it looks like there are green tubes with more Metal Sonics in them. I figure they're Sonic Adventure references to Metal being in a tube there, but was he using the machine to reproduce himself? And the reason he was popping out goofy little Silver Sonics was because he didn't have time to make more clones?

how is babby formed

13ruce

Banned
Finally unlocked
Knuckles and Knuckles and it's amazing lol this alone puts it above Sonic 3+K hilarious. And finally being able to have knuckles + tails or sonic + k is nice too.

Dunno if anyone checked this out yet but Blue Sphere 2 (Stealth's updated version of Blue Sphere with green and pink spheres) did make it into the game in the unlimited Blue Spheres mode, just set it to Mania.

Sami+

I feel like it would have been better if they incorporated the other special stages from 3K as well, and had medals available at the end or as a random drop from the gumball machine. I agree that there was too much Blue Spheres as much as I love it- by the end game I was just skipping them.

Ferr986

That machine felt loosely based on the machine were Metal Sonic is in the OVA, although it may be just because everything is Eggman faced.

Griss

I like the classic Sonic sprite they used and they cleaned it up nicely, my only problem is that it looks like Sonic has only one row of spikes. This always confused the shit out of me as a kid - did he have just one row of spikes or more? Then in 3 he looked more like I would have expected him to.

I've got some boss tips if anyone's interested. It's all been said before in this thread I'm sure, but just to reiterate in case it's your first time seeing this:

SS Act 2, when the little Mecha-Sonics rev up for a spin dash, spin dash back at them. It makes mincemeat of the boss, it'll be over in seconds.
PG Act 2, the Asterons he throws can be bopped to stop them from exploding into spikes. Attack 'em before they blow.
OO Act 2, don't rush it, destroy the two arms first and then focus on him. Don't stand on the platform he's bringing down.

Also just realise the fire shield melts the ice blocks! :D

13ruce

Banned
Txαi;246350150 said:
Wouldn't mind watching gameplay without Sonic turning super saiyan every checkpoint.

Yeah i don't get why they just don't start a fresh run or a no save run with the bonuses.

FSLink

Banned
Still not sure why people are having trouble on the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss.

One of my friends was pretty damn sure the boss was cheap and I actually showed off your footage Sixfortyfive to show that there was a pretty defined boss pattern.

Berordn

Oil Ocean Act 2
boss.

One of my friends was pretty damn sure the boss was cheap and I actually showed off your footage Sixfortyfive to show that there was a pretty defined boss pattern.

It's a clear pattern, but it's got a high execution barrier, and with how easy it is to instantly die because of the platforms that makes for a somewhat cheap boss.

Oil Ocean Act 2
boss.

It's tough for a lot of people because it feels very stressful by design. You're flailing around in oil and it's very difficult to recover rings, so people freak out and try to rush it. If you do this, you're very likely to die and if you win, it'll be because you got lucky.

If you go in with a defined strategy and don't mind the fight taking a couple minutes, it's super easy.

FSLink

Banned
It's a clear pattern, but it's got a high execution barrier, and with how easy it is to instantly die because of the platforms that makes for a somewhat cheap boss.

I really didn't think it was hard and I haven't even played Sonic 2 in awhile so I didn't even remember the boss patterns. The hardest part is the projectiles coming from above, and they have very poor tracking.

The platforms always show up at the same time and same place so you really shouldn't be dying under there repeatedly.

It's tough for a lot of people because it feels very stressful by design. You're flailing around in oil and it's very difficult to recover rings, so people freak out and try to rush it. If you do this, you're very likely to die and if you win, it'll be because you got lucky.

If you go in with a defined strategy and don't mind the fight taking a couple minutes, it's super easy.

I guess. I didn't really go in with a defined strategy since I couldn't remember the boss patterns from 2. I just did it by reaction and only got hit like once because I rushed a certain part. Maybe people just need to be more patient.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've played through the game 5 times now and have yet to lose a life to it, but I'm betting it's largely because I'm constantly jumping and thus never touching the platform when it's being dragged down. But even then, it doesn't seem like it'd be hard to play safe.

Anth0ny

Yeah I think the fact that you lose rings super easily is the hardest part about that boss tbh

Mark1

Getting to
Lava Reef
zone with Knuckles made me laugh a wee bit, particular when
you go to Hidden Palace zone and find the last of the Hard Boiled Heavies attempting to steal the Master Emerald...only to find him lost in a train of thought with his callback to Eggman stealing the same gem
😂 Nice callback and cool boss fight

13ruce

Banned

Yeah taking it slowly is the best with that boss if you destroy those
ball tentacles....
it becomes way easier you just need to dodge those
lasers and sting tentacle
after that and you can hit
Robotnik....
easily after those
tentacles....
are gone.

Also, regarding
Oil Ocean Act 2
, learn the stage. If you can make it to the boss with a fire shield, it's almost impossible to lose, because his projectiles don't hurt you (though the laser probably still does, I'm not sure about that).

Flintty

I like the classic Sonic sprite they used and they cleaned it up nicely, my only problem is that it looks like Sonic has only one row of spikes. This always confused the shit out of me as a kid - did he have just one row of spikes or more? Then in 3 he looked more like I would have expected him to.

I also liked the classic sprite. Regarding the spikes, I think it was Sonic 3 that first gave us a view from the side/back that showed he had three rows of spikes and it looked great!

Edit: I surprisingly found a picture!

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3-2015-12-23-20.05.03.png

Top Bottom