• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Has anyone posted this yet? Because if not, that's a shame.

EmWlgoS.jpg

You can go inside the subs in
Oil Ocean act 2
, it gains no time at all but what a novelty!

Knuckles keeps winning, now he's got another alt boss that beats the tar out of Sonic's equivalent in
Lava Reef

Finally beat that
Oil Ocean
boss, thank fuck. I think I've only a few zones left, how likely am I going to get close to the rage I felt with that boss from here on out?

SkylineRKR

Knuckles is so good. I am at the 3rd zone with him. I forgot how much fun I had with Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3. Because of those 3D games that absolutely destroyed him. He was legit fun on the 16 bits, flying and climbing opened so much.

Does this game have Super Tails / Knuckles?

Anyone remember Hyper Sonic/Tails/Knuckles from Sonic 3 + Knuckles? So wild.

It has.

And yeah, Hyper was fun in 3. They could rid the entire screen of enemies.

Wait, you can NOT go inside the subs in that level? Good lord.

You can miss so much stuff in this game. Like I saw where a player destroyed
the pilot of Flying Battery
, which I had no idea you could do. Unless that's a Knuckles route thing. And it occured to me that I never went into one of the popcorn makers in Studiopolis. The game is so dense that you really do have to play though several times to see everything.

KodaRuss

So I am playing through the game with Sonic and Tails as a companion now.

I was planning on playing through it with Knuckles after that. Tails makes the game pretty easy right?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Titanic Monarch is just fucking garbage, especially act 2, and just drags the game down as I got a time over twice and I don't feel that's my fault as the level just drags on and those orbs are just not fun to use.

I rather that they reused Scrap Brain Zone or Metropolis Zone than a sub par bloated, confusing fan made level.

Does the game save after you get a chaos emerald / blue sphere stage or after you've beaten an act? I want to cheese my emeralds and spheres on green hill zone.

I also liked the classic sprite. Regarding the spikes, I think it was Sonic 3 that first gave us a view from the side/back that showed he had three rows of spikes and it looked great!

Edit: I surprisingly found a picture!

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3-2015-12-23-20.05.03.png

He had three rows of spikes in the special stages of 2 and CD too.

ckaneo

Titanic Monarch is just fucking garbage, especially act 2, and just drags the game down as I got a time over twice and I don't feel that's my fault as the level just drags on and those orbs are just not fun to use.

I rather that they reused Scrap Brain Zone or Metropolis Zone than a sub par bloated, confusing fan made level.

How is it not your fault lol? Gotta go fast.

I think however they should have reversed the timer so it countdowns from 10 since the common assumption is you will always have enough time to finish a level

SkylineRKR

I had no issues with TMZ. I beat those levels in about 5 minutes each. The second act is worse but the mist parts don't take that long. I think the boss is shit though, and the optional one is even worse (but ridiculously easy).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think however they should have reversed the timer so it countdowns from 10 since the common assumption is you will always have enough time to finish a level

IIRC, the timer started blinking in the old games once you passed 9 minutes. Even that would be helpful.

RRockman

Banned
I like the classic Sonic sprite they used and they cleaned it up nicely, my only problem is that it looks like Sonic has only one row of spikes. This always confused the shit out of me as a kid - did he have just one row of spikes or more? Then in 3 he looked more like I would have expected him to.

Think Mickey Mouse when it comes to his spines. They do exist in 3d space but when viewed from any angle of the back it looks like a three spine mohawk. One of the reasons why I hate the American cartoon so so much is that they missed the memo entirely and draw sonic like this:

Instead of these:

They add an extra coutur line to the back of Sonic head, making the spines look flat when they arent.

daxy

Is there a way to get the soundtrack digitally already? I've seen the vinyl pre-order that's going around, but I'm not that interested in it.

No, you're definitely right. The same happens to me. You can only run into a roll by letting go of the right or left buttons, sliding your thumb down while still holding in a direction doesn't do anything.

Happens the same to me. I will try again as well later on, but I started to go crazy thinking maybe they took the option out or something.

I guess I could have been pressing in such a way to let go of right or left but I feel like it would have caused some more problems for me at some point.
If that’s the case it needs patched immediately.

I used the switch button test in the OS to check that inputs were working fine and they were, then I went straight back into mania and was unable to roll.

So yeah, it's a game thing, you won't really notice it if you play with the stick and maybe the pro controller dpad is better but it seems like a weird limit to add to the game, hopefully it's not to stop accidental rolling for some player so they gimped it.

Think Mickey Mouse when it comes to his spines. They do exist in 3d space but when viewed from any angle of the back it looks like a three spine mohawk. One of the reasons why I hate the American cartoon so so much is that they missed the memo entirely and draw sonic like this:

Instead of these:

They add an extra coutur line to the back of Sonic head, making the spines look flat when they arent.
The quill design was closer in Underground, too bad that show is complete ass. I watched a few episodes recently and was surprised with how low quality it was. Balls animation, annoying songs, voice recordings that sound like they came out of a tin can.

Sonic_c0d13a_5960125.jpg

X is the only show to nail Sonic's design.

2169068-sonic_insurance_300x224.jpg

13ruce

Banned
Youtube's fucking suggestion system keeps spoiling this game for me

Youtube is trash these days honestly i just logout and stay off youtube till i played a game when it's out.

It's quite sad those awfull youtubers put the boss name or a picture in the thumbnail those are the worst pieces of shits ever.

And then youtube itself put em in the recommend video section or puts em in your notification space on mobile.

Besides having to complete the whole game, is the
level select
cheat performed
on the main screen
a Switch exclusive thing? I've scoured the Internet to see if it's do-able on Xbox/PlayStation but it doesn't seem like anyone is able to.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FINALLY, my LE should be delivered!

USPS: "Oh sorry, this is the first time ever where we only attempted to deliver your package, so you're either gonna have to drive across town to pick it up after 5 p.m. (oh btw we close at 6) or get it tomorrow"

UUGGGHHHHHH

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat game, then got emeralds, then got super sonic ending.

5/5 sonic game. The best in the series even.

beat the game. enjoyed it. dunno if it's better than sonic 3andk but it's close between it and cd for 2nd favourite for me, so well done to whitehead and co!

I retroactively hate oil ocean zone in sonic 2 now thanks to the fuckery they pulled with it in this game. hate the levels and boss now

fav music was mirage saloon 2, studiopolis, and chemical zone act 2, in fact that was probably the best classic level reimaging full stop. stardust speedway tracks are a slight let down but the orignals are some of my favourite video game tracks ever so no shame there.

Had no trouble finishing monarch 2, quite like that gimmick for that level actually. Act 1 gave me my first time over since sandopolis back in the day though lol.

what's the quickest special ring to get to? gotta get three more emeralds.

OmniOne

Bought it only got a chance to play he 1st level.

Am I wrong that it was a 1to1 match of the first
Level in sonic 1?

Still had a blast tho.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
SHIT

In my Knuckles playthrough I just beat
Hydrocity
. Put the Switch down for a bit. As the next zone started I wasn't looking and I noticed the scene was different to Sonic's. I basically missed the cutscene.

In related news, Super Knuckles is lame.

Bought it only got a chance to play he 1st level.

Am I wrong that it was a 1to1 match of the first
Level in sonic 1?

Still had a blast tho.

There are lots of similar parts, but no, it's not a match. These corkscrews weren't in the original Green Hill Zone, for example.

latest

(from Sonic 2)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
what's the quickest special ring to get to? gotta get three more emeralds.

Press Garden zone act 1.

You can get to it in less than 30 seconds once you start memorizing the movement.

At the start of the level, go right. Once you reach the rotating cylinder, go down instead of across and jump down. Then jump to the bottom right with the bouncy ropes and bounce into the passageway to the left.

Its annoying to quit out every time but you'll get used to it. Maybe put on some music or a podcast.

Instead of these:

Isn't that how Sonic was kinda redesigned for the west in general?

differences_between_sonics_by_megamanx_2009.jpg

As you can see, 'murrica Sonic had a generally more rougher, "edgier" look to him, to make him look cool to the western audience. Sharper ears and a mohawk on the back of his head.

J@hranimo

Banned
So the true final boss was interesting, although a bit easy once you figured out the patterns. It DOES seem to confirm that
Sonic gets transported to another dimension,
which we assume will be what goes down in Sonic Forces.

That's kinda wild. Even the ending image spells it out!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Went ahead and uploaded my full Sonic & Tails playthrough to the Youtubes. I'm pretty familiar with most of the level layouts at this point, but it's still close to a 3-hour run. I also time-stamped a system crash in the description. :V

I also uploaded my first playthrough, but I dunno if it's worth watching. It's like 50% Blue Spheres.

Just unlocked Blue Sphere Mode. Can I unlock the rest of my gold medals from here or do I still need to do them from the main game?

Main game only (I think). The stages in the Extra menu are completely different. To be honest, though, I didn't play any of the extra stages until I had all 32 gold medals anyway, so I can't say for sure.

Top Bottom