• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Chao

Isn't that how Sonic was kinda redesigned for the west in general?

differences_between_sonics_by_megamanx_2009.jpg

, to make him look cool to the western audience. Sharper ears and a mohawk on the back of his head.

The word you're looking for is "uglier"

Don't know what Sega of America was thinking when they created that abomination to be honest.

DNAbro

So I decided to jump in and buy it. Enjoying and holy shit at that chemical plant zone 2 boss.

Had a weird glitch afterwards though where I got stuck in the environment and after a couple of minutes it finally pushed me through.

jmartoine

Finished the game tonight. Titanic Monarch was enjoyable but I wish we got those 4 mini-boss fights fleshed out rather than being an afterthought on the main boss battle.

Press Garden zone act 1.

You can get to it in less than 30 seconds once you start memorizing the movement.

At the start of the level, go right. Once you reach the rotating cylinder, go down instead of across and jump down. Then jump to the bottom right with the bouncy ropes and bounce into the passageway to the left.

Its annoying to quit out every time but you'll get used to it. Maybe put on some music or a podcast.

thanks! I'm pretty close to getting 5 after a couple of goes so hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Jazzem

Beat the game with all seven emeralds, the
Super Sonic/true final boss
themes are so good :'D

I skipped the credits this time, is there not a post credits stinger for 100% playthrough? Was hoping for Robotnik stomping on 'The End' angrily :(

The word you're looking for is "uglier"

Don't know what Sega of America was thinking when they created that abomination to be honest.

It's not hard to understand: they wanted Sonic to look like a cool, hip n' rude dude in comparison to that boring and lame Mario guy. SEGA's whole marketing campaign during that era was based around them being the cooler and edgier alternative to Nintendo.

You may not like it in hindsight, but hey, it worked. It was the only time SEGA ever saw sucess in the US.

13ruce

Banned
So the true final boss was interesting, although a bit easy once you figured out the patterns. It DOES seem to confirm that
Sonic gets transported to another dimension,
which we assume will be what goes down in Sonic Forces.

That's kinda wild. Even the ending image spells it out!

You can even play that one in level select as Knuckles or Tails wich is also neat.

Loved the final boss tbh. Was kinda unique classic Sonic wise.

full control over Super Sonic at the final boss and fly at will no sidescrolling etc. And the conflict between Robotnik and the Emperor Badnik was cool fighting for the infinite gem

jman2050

The only cartoon show worth was the Sonic OVA, rest was trash (yes, including SatAM).

The big mark against SatAM is that Sonic feels jarringly out of place in the universe of the show despite, you know, it being named after him. Taken as a show about a bunch of animal characters trying to fight an oppressive dystopian regime against difficult odds it was pretty competently done.

And come on man. The theme song,

Not

Banned
Isn't that how Sonic was kinda redesigned for the west in general?

differences_between_sonics_by_megamanx_2009.jpg

As you can see, 'murrica Sonic had a generally more rougher, "edgier" look to him, to make him look cool to the western audience. Sharper ears and a mohawk on the back of his head.

Oh, so it was Sega of America that first created the "brow vagina?"

SatAM's robotization is a pretty morbid adaption of the badnik concept, when you think about it.

In the games, Eggman enslaves woodland creatures and jams them into his robots as power sources. In SatAM, Robotnik enslaves woodland creatures and turns them into his robots, lol.

jman2050

The finale to Season 2 of SatAM was great and whatever childhood self remains in me is still salty as all get out that season 3 never happened.

SkylineRKR

I'm crying every time I fight Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss. It's so perfect.

Stardust speedway on the whole is perfect. I didn't even like it that much in CD and the boss there was rather shitty for a race. But Mania's SS boss, its probably my favourite as well.

And Hydro City is so good that I usually retry Act 2 before the end. It doesn't really feel changed but there is no need.

Saven

Banned
Finally beat that
Oil Ocean
boss, thank fuck. I think I've only a few zones left, how likely am I going to get close to the rage I felt with that boss from here on out?

Nowhere near as close I think, except maybe the
final boss
, but even then that one wasn't too bad. The one you just fought and it's mini boss are the worst in the game by far.

Ferr986

The big mark against SatAM is that Sonic feels jarringly out of place in the universe of the show despite, you know, it being named after him. Taken as a show about a bunch of animal characters trying to fight an oppressive dystopian regime against difficult odds it was pretty competently done.

And come on man. The theme song,

I guess it was because even as a kid (when I didn't really know about japanese Sonic story) I didn't feel like that series felt like "Sonic", and I didn't like the non-games cast.

Finalizer

Alright SonicGAF.

Here I was, ready to be a good boy. Ready to patiently wait for the PC release.

But nooooo, y'all gotta carry filling up gaming side with threads on 'bout how this is the best Sonic game in years. How it's better than the original 16-bit games. How the soundtrack is beyond God-tier. How it's such an amaaaaaaazing experience.

Y'all made me do this.

B3dy7U1.jpg

be back in a few hours lolol

nowarning

Didn't fall off the plane once, took it pretty slow though because
I was loving seeing the enemies from sky chase again

I was never into SaTAM, AoSTH was my shit

Alright SonicGAF.

But nooooo, y'all gotta carry on 'bout how this is the best Sonic game in years. How it's better than the original 16-bit games. How the soundtrack is beyond God-tier. How it's such an amaaaaaaazing experience.

Y'all made me do this.

B3dy7U1.jpg

Enjoy!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wish they had the Red Rings from Generation, I enjoyed exploring the levels for those as it helped me learn their layout and I'd love collecting those for unlocks rather than Blue Sphere, which still could've been in as a bonus game.

J@hranimo

Banned
You can even play that one in level select as Knuckles or Tails wich is also neat.

Loved the final boss tbh. Was kinda unique classic Sonic wise.

full control over Super Sonic at the final boss and fly at will no sidescrolling etc. And the conflict between Robotnik and the Emperor Badnik was cool fighting for the infinite gem

Wait, Tails and Knuckles?!?! Oh yeah I definitely need to finish those playthroughs then. It mght be my favorite one as well, I bet it would be fun to speedrun it with that dash ability.

Alright SonicGAF.

But nooooo, y'all gotta carry on 'bout how this is the best Sonic game in years. How it's better than the original 16-bit games. How the soundtrack is beyond God-tier. How it's such an amaaaaaaazing experience.

Y'all made me do this.

B3dy7U1.jpg

And soon you'll own the best handheld Sonic game ;)

Have fun!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wait, Tails and Knuckles?!?! Oh yeah I definitely need to finish those playthroughs then. It mght be my favorite one as well, I bet it would be fun to speedrun it with that dash ability.

And soon you'll own the best handheld Sonic game ;)

Have fun!
This is true by default. We need portable Sonic 3&K already.

Real dumb question here, but how is the length of this game? What incentives are there to replay the levels? Can you blow through it in 2 hours or is it a little meatier than that? It's been ages since I played a proper 2D Sonic and can't remember anything about how long they can be.

Guess Who

Banned
Real dumb question here, but how is the length of this game? What incentives are there to replay the levels? Can you blow through it in 2 hours or is it a little meatier than that? It's been ages since I played a proper 2D Sonic and can't remember anything about how long they can be.

I'd say a basic first-level-to-last-level first run is about three hours. The incentives for replay are:

1) There's lots of routes through levels you won't see in one run.
2) Tails and Knuckles have exclusive routes Sonic can't access.
3) Knuckles has a slightly different story and a few things exclusive to his route.
4) There's unlockables of various kinds gated behind clearing bonus stages, including some that allow for slightly different gameplay styles.
5) If you don't get all the Chaos Emeralds in your first run, you can keep playing for them to unlock Super Sonic and
the real final boss
6) There's a great time attack mode with near-instant level restarts for perfecting your runs.

gafneo

Banned
So I unlocked everything by doing all the blue sphere and UFO chase modes. A new blue sphere mode unlocks in the menu but is just giving me a medal for completing it. Not sure if the new ones are being kept track of. Has anyone beat all Blue Pheres under Extras in both Mania and Origional?

Sciz

I wish they had the Red Rings from Generation, I enjoyed exploring the levels for those as it helped me learn their layout and I'd love collecting those for unlocks rather than Blue Sphere, which still could've been in as a bonus game.

Yeah, I would've been all over a red ring hunt for unlocks, while leaving the bonus stages as something shorter and more immediately useful. Probably the game's biggest misstep.

Top Bottom