• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

J@hranimo

Banned
Overall I'd say this :
Mania > 3 & Knuckles > CD > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

Definitely. Which is why I want a sequel or DLCs ASAP. Even the previously boring zones were improved
but that wasn't enough to save Oil Ocean.

This is my listing as well.

CD is misunderstood, you gotta play that game differently from the others an explore! Sonic 2 really becomes meh in the latter half of the game imo, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Is the key supposed to be on the metal card in the collectors edition? Because if so my box set came with no code.

No, it's not on the card. Mine was printed on a paper insert about the size of a Blu-Ray case.

25$ CAD??
I'll wait for it to drop. Can't justify a 25 bucks Sonic Game.

Man. I remember paying $70 (US) to get Sonic 3 for my cousin. And that's in 1994 dollars; the equivalent of $115.91 today. Your value judgement is way off.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HOLY HELL, FINALLY. No wonder the post office couldn't deliver my LE, box for it is huge.

Also sweet, had no idea the code for the game also gave you the avatars + themes, that's a nice bonus.

Slightly bummed they have a light on the Genesis like the actual system, but it doesn't light up when you turn the power on, oh well. At least the Sega jingle is rather loud & clear. & you can't adjust the volume tab despite it looking it you can move it up & down.

Either way, I CAN FINALLY PLAY THIS.

13ruce

Banned
HOLY HELL, FINALLY. No wonder the post office couldn't deliver my LE, box for it is huge.

Also sweet, had no idea the code for the game also gave you the avatars + themes, that's a nice bonus.

Slightly bummed they have a light on the Genesis like the actual system, but it doesn't light up when you turn the power on, oh well. At least the Sega jingle is rather loud & clear.

You will have a blast today game is goddamn good.

Chemical Plant Act 2 is where I realized this game might be one of the best ever. It pretty much singlehandedly sold me on the 2D Sonic formula.

I was actually in a PSN party with a longtime Sonic skeptic as he was playing Mania, and the first praise he gave it was "this level design is actually pretty cool" during Chemical Plant 2. CPZ doing God's work over here.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

CD is misunderstood, you gotta play that game differently from the others an explore! Sonic 2 really becomes meh in the latter half of the game imo, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
Sonic 2 comes to a very satisfying conclusion though. It feels epic. Mania doesn't accomplish that in its latter stages. In fact I'll give CD some credit. Even CD accomplishes that more than Mania does. Mania kind of just ends.

cordy

Banned
Likely 3-4 hours to get all the chaos emeralds on a single file and see the true ending.

edit - As LordKano said, adding in the blue sphere minigames will definitely give you a few more hours.

If getting everything means beating every blue sphere zone to get all the medals, then it's damn long.
Otherwise, probably 4 hours for your first run with all the chaos emeralds, then an additional 2-3h for Knuckle's run which is significantly different from Sonic's.
4 hours on first playthrough with Sonic + Tails to get all the Chaos Emeralds and another... 5 hours with Knuckles to get all the blue spheres.

Damn that's longer than I expected. Awesome.

Kinsei

Banned
With regards to
Titanic Monarch
, I'm still trying to beat its Act 1, but despite replaying it a few times I'm not sure what its theme is. Looks like
a cyberpunk city?
Lot going on the background... Bit hard to parse.

It's
a base where a giant robot is being constructed. I assume the robot is the titular Titanic Monarch.

With regards to
Titanic Monarch
, I'm still trying to beat its Act 1, but despite replaying it a few times I'm not sure what its theme is. Looks like
a cyberpunk city?
Lot going on the background... Bit hard to parse.

The game could convey this a bit better, but it's likely a construction site in and around a huge Eggman robot, situated in a city.

Neiteio

Yeah, this is really where the pinball aspect of Sonic surfaces. Manually navigating a section of the level in Sonic is like flipping the ball in pinball, and the reward for both is generally a small span of time where the ball is at the mercy of physics and Rube Goldberg-style contraptions and setups. After that, you get to direct Sonic or the ball again before the next physics showcase, rinse and repeat. Though I suppose the difference with Sonic is that you can step in a wrestle back control at any time.
That's a great way to describe it. Thinking about it some more, I think this illustrates part of what makes 2D Sonic so addictive: You're constantly relinquishing control (pinball sections at the mercy of physics), and regaining it (platforming sections where you're in full control), and that push and pull feels dangerous, and thus exciting.

Slightly bummed they have a light on the Genesis like the actual system, but it doesn't light up when you turn the power on, oh well. At least the Sega jingle is rather loud & clear. & you can't adjust the volume tab despite it looking it you can move it up & down.

Get ready for the best time of your life!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DAAAMMNNN, so the ring included in the "cartridge" is solid & surprisingly heavy.

I might take some comparison shots of the figure next to an actual Genesis & cartridge if anyone's interested.

Slightly bummed I didn't get a signed copy after how long I had to wait, but oh well, maybe someone else on here will get lucky.

Aki-at

I played the hell out of CD multiple times and even as an exploration game to me it wasn't enjoyable, only 2 secrets to find in each level and to achieve that you have to return to the past anyway. Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Mania are much better in this regard.

I think other than the little sidestep of Metropolis Zone, Sonic 2 ends in a very satisfying manner. A tough level in Wing Fortress with one of the more tougher bosses in the series' history followed by well done final boss battles.

So this game just makes me smile. The level design is so good and the music is such a great re-imagining.

This might be my favorite Sonic game.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Outside of the newness of S3+K and some of the narrative advantages it poses, Sonic Mania is the GOAT sonic game. If this team comes out with a Sonic Mania 2 with 100% new content it will be the undisputed GOAT

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bummer, none of the 3 PSN themes you get have any music, nor change up the system icons.

Also noticed in the Credits, you can hear the YAAAY from Palmtree Panic Act 1 (JPN).

Are people really struggling with the boss in OOZ Act 2?

I beat it in one try. Maybe I just got lucky.

Its patterns are simple enough, but unlike most bosses it can be difficult to recover rings due to them falling through the screen. Takes a good amount of patience and caution until you really understand it, which runs counter to most of the other bosses that can be brute forced.

I think
Titanic Monarch
is my least favorite zone so far. Act 2 in particular is just awful. I even like
Oil Ocean
more.

Overall though I really like the game. I just wish it autosaved after each act. There have been many times where I've died on the boss of Act 2 and had to start over from the beginning of Act 1 and I just have to take a break, lol.

To think, Mania might have been called Sonic 4 if Sega America didn't decide to rename it from Sonic Mobile!

Sonic 4 doesn't deserve the title, but I don't think Sonic Mania does either (though it's certainly more deserving than the game from Dimps). I feel the latter is a glorious celebration of the classic era of the franchise and thus the current name is more fitting.

I think
Titanic Monarch
is my least favorite zone so far. Act 2 in particular is just awful. I even like
Oil Ocean
more.

I might be in the minority about
Titanic Monarch
Flinging Sonic with the gravity orbs
feels super satisfying, and that level has atmosphere unlike anything else in Classic Sonic. Some of the elaborate physics sequences there are beyond nuts. idk, it does it for me. Not my absolute favorite, but one I really enjoy.

SkylineRKR

Sonic 3 standalone ended pretty anticlimactic as well

Because it was cut in half. The sound test has removed levels still on display and all the music is even on the cart. The Launch Base boss made the death egg fall and you would land in Mushroom Hill, continuing the game. The end of Doomsday Zone is satisfying though.

On the flip side, this 2 cart rip off let us play Knuckles in Sonic 2.

Sonic 4 doesn't deserve the title, but I don't think Sonic Mania does either (though it's certainly more deserving than the game from Dimps). I feel the latter is a glorious celebration of the classic era of the franchise and thus the current name is more fitting.

I feel the exact same way...Sonic Mania never went past what Sonic 3 offers. Thats perfectly fine. I would love to see where the team goes from here though when everything is new.

Finished my Sonic+Tails run. Great game. I hope it sold well, I want another one with all original content!

Okay despite me complaining about the boss in
Oil Ocean and ragequitting, it wasn't so bad on the second try when I just took it a bit more slowly and focused on just taking out the tentacles. Nothing after that really gave me problems.

Aki-at

It's strange to me, before I bought the game I'd have agreed with you, but now that I've played it? Most zones do enough to differentiate itself from the original that it's not simply a remake, I guess it's like in Mario games when you return to the Mushroom Kingdom or Bowser's Castle the tropes are always (Granted a lot less retread there than here.)

Ah well schematics anyway, at least we can put Sonic 4 behind us.

Ferr986

Holy crap, I thought it was bullshit but now that I look at Gamexplain's video it makes so much sense.

I mean, it clearly is
Classic Sonic in Forces comes from another dimension, and Infinitedgelord does the same sound the Dimension Stone does in Mania.

Neiteio

It's
a base where a giant robot is being constructed. I assume the robot is the titular Titanic Monarch.

The game could convey this a bit better, but it's likely a construction site in and around a huge Eggman robot, situated in a city.
Ah, that's pretty cool! And yeah, I can see it now.

What about
Metallic Madness
? My take on the theme there:
A robot factory
?

Top Bottom