• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Android18a said:
I just downloaded this for my iPod Touch (yeah, I know..)

Anyway, when I choose New Game, it goes to a loading screen, but then fades to black and quits the game...

Hmmm.

Love your avatar. I might have to put my spin on it.

Roto13

Let's all buy four copies!

Those who pick up two or more versions will have their names featured on a sticky thread on the Sega and Sonic 4 forums. The list will also be posted on Sega's blog and the Sonic 4 website. Those who snag three versions will receive "a special call-out on the SEGA Blogs and the Sonic 4 website's news feed, and special placement in one very cool spot, to be revealed!" Finally, anyone that purchases all four versions will be featured in a special video shout-out from Sega community manager Aaron Webber and Ken Balough, brand manager for Sonic 4. The video will be posted on Sega's YouTube page and "all across SEGA's realms here on the internets."

Lijik

This game is so average that its hilarious to see Robbienick defend it like it was his girlfriend and Diablohead bemoaning it doing well on the app store.
Two obnoxious extremes and the game doesn't really warrant either, Sonic threads are crazy town :lol

Suzuki Yu

Lan_97 said:
If Sonic 4 breaks the cycle, then the cycle was broken by Rush, Rush Adventure, Secret Rings, and Unleashed.
i love you, this is exactly my opinion regarding the franchise lately, all of these games were really good .

Sciz

Andrex said:
The worst part of the review is when Goldstein says Sonic was king of platformers.
1992-1993 was a fantastic time for Sega, most of it built on the back of Sonic 2.

Mama Robotnik said:
and a 3D game that appears to have learned nothing and has a whole legion of new shitty little friends
I didn't think I'd seen you in the Colors threads. This comment doesn't strike me as being especially fair to the game, so I'm curious to hear the thoughts that led to it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
RobbieNick said:
Maybe your standards are too exact and specific. Maybe you want things a certain way and if they stray from that norm a tiny bit, it's considered a disaster.
Nah, not really. That's an ideology you're trying to frame me with, but I'm not nearly that anal.

Sure, I'd prefer it if a current-gen 2D Sonic game adhered to certain cornerstones of the classic series (tight controls, an expertly crafted physics system, level design that complements said physics, etc.), but I don't personally think a new game in the series would absolutely have to do things 100% the classic way for me to enjoy it. Quality is quality.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't really trash Sonic 4 so hard if it ended up being a project of exceptional merit in its own right. But I'm not seeing Sonic 4 as being a top-tier platformer at all, which is what I ultimately want for the character/franchise. But apparently you have no problem with it's middling existence. It looks like a merely passable effort from Sega/dimps. Nothing to get excited about, and certainly not the herald of Sonic's supposed return to glory that you keep pushing. Have no clue why you're going out of your way to defend it so hard.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In the end I don't mind the homing attack that much, but I feel that the speed boosters are the antithesis of everything that the old games were about, and that's why I don't like to consider 4 their true successor. The speed boosters speak to a very different yet still fun style of play more akin to Rush or the Advance games.

Realmack

Neo Member
8.0 sonic is back is the jist of it. negatives include hard final level and no co op, everything else was glowing.

edit:beaten

clav

Realmack said:
8.0 sonic is back is the jist of it. negatives include hard final level and no co op, everything else was glowing.
You're late. Read the past two pages.

The_Technomancer said:
In the end I don't mind the homing attack that much, but I feel that the speed boosters are the antithesis of everything that the old games were about, and that's why I don't like to consider 4 their true successor. The speed boosters speak to a very different yet still fun style of play more akin to Rush or the Advance games.

The game is Sonic Advance 4. Sonic didn't return to his Genesis roots.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CurseoftheGods said:
Weirdos with opinions?

Weirdos with wrong opinions

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

I'm getting this game next week for sure. Looks like its going to be fun enough and not the broken mess this place has been saying it will be for the past year. Hopefully ep2 brings something special to lock-on onto ep1. It's too bad its a little on the short side. An extra area would have helped probably.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
after the OT mega-thread controversy, a nice bit of Sonic-madness actually feels normal

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Rez said:
after the OT mega-thread controversy, a nice bit of Sonic-madness actually feels normal
so true :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Willy105 said:
Well, maybe. But not from the big websites. It was ripped to shreds.

It actually got a worse score than Sonic 2006 from IGN.

Edit- HD version that is. Wii version got a 7 something from Matt C.

jman2050 said:
Unleashed got good reviews and was terrible, why the hell should I just trust Sonic reviews now?
Actually it's the other way around.
Sonic Unleashed is a good game, yet it got terrible reviews. It's a way better game than people make it out to be, especially the 360/PS3 version.

Andrex said:
A lot of weirdos maybe.
Some of the Old-school Sonics are among the best platformers ever created. Calling Sonic the king of platformers is bit much but it was a clear No 2. for a little while.

jman2050 said:
Unleashed got good reviews and was terrible, why the hell should I just trust Sonic reviews now?

So now Unleashed is terrible? Right. Revisionist history at work.

If you want a terrible Sonic game look no further than 2006. That's the gold standard for what terrible is.

Unleashed is at the very least decent. It's a huge step in the right drection for 3D sonics compared to 2006. It may have its love hate crowd but it wasn't a terrible game.

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I'm getting this game next week for sure. Looks like its going to be fun enough and not the broken mess this place has been saying it will be for the past year. Hopefully ep2 brings something special to lock-on onto ep1. It's too bad its a little on the short side. An extra area would have helped probably.

I'm going to get it, too, for the Wii. It looks like a fun game and while it may not truly be Sonic the Hedgehog 4, that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable.

jman2050

Upsidedown Fuji said:
So now Unleashed is terrible? Right. Revisionist history at work.

If you want a terrible Sonic game look no further than 2006. That's the gold standard for what terrible is.

Unleashed is at the very least decent. It's a huge step in the right drection for 3D sonics compared to 2006. It may have its love hate crowd but it wasn't a terrible game.

Unleashed is half semi-mediocre, half abomination, which averages out to a terrible game. 2006 is a complete abomination that goes beyond merely terrible.

Lijik

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I think with the better controls and (hopefully) physics the console versions should be a good enough time. Those two things really suck the fun out of the iOs version

Lijik said:
I think with the better controls and (hopefully) physics the console versions should be a good enough time. Those two things really suck the fun out of the iOs version

Thats all that really matters to me. :)

Catalix

jman2050 said:
Unleashed is half semi-mediocre, half abomination, which averages out to a terrible game. 2006 is a complete abomination that goes beyond merely terrible.
Perfect summation. Both games are different flavors of terribad, 2006 was just worse.

jman2050 said:
not sure when this was decided upon

general consensus is that daytime levels in Unleashed were awesome

Blueblur1

Everyone has a different opinion on Unleashed. I think that it's a fantastic game with some flaws. IMO, it's the best 3D Sonic game since SA 1 & 2.

jman2050

Aaron Strife said:

There isn't anything even approaching a general consensus regarding those stages being awesome. More like varying levels of tolerance.

Aaron Strife said:

Yes! Also, Colors is based on Unleashed and it gets a ton of praise here. So why all the hype for Colors? Seriously, following the logic around here is hard sometimes. If it weren't for Unleashed we wouldn't have Colors. SEGA is obviously taking what was seen as the GOOD parts of Unleashed and using that as the main game.

But anyhow, this thread is for Sonic4. So I'll go back on topic and say that I can't wait to play the final version for myself.

jman2050 said:
There isn't anything even approaching a general consensus regarding those stages being awesome. More like varying levels of tolerance.
Personally, I'd say HD Unleashed is the best 3D Sonic. That's not saying much and it definitely has its faults, but it's a solid game.

Colors will be awesome.

Zomba13

HD unleashed day levels were awesome and he best 3D sonic game ever.
The werehog was at best OK and at worst very bad and annoying.

Colours is supposed to be a game full of Sonic Unleashed daytime levels so will most likely be awesome (and possibly the best 3D sonic yet)

I'm still on the fence about 4 now I've seen some iphone reviews and opinions. Seems like it's Sonic advance 4 really (which isn't horrible. I really liked the advance series. Well 1 and 2). I'll probably get it on whatever platform it works out cheapest for me on. I don't want the 360 one because of lol360dpad but I've got a bunch of cheap points coming and he whole 800 points back if you spend 2400 makes the 360 version tempting.

Zen

Banned
claviertekky said:
Meh.

I like it how none of you fans are going to comment on this because it hurts.

?

The mine cart level has been completely redone but you still ride a version of it at certain points in the remade level. It doesn't control the same way.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So this is out on Wednesday? I'll try the trial, I would love to play some Sonic again. It's been so, so long for me. I don't really care about the frothing negativity in this thread, it might be a fun game. As long as it even just hints at what I loved about Genesis Sonic, I'll be satisfied.

Maybe Sonic Colors will hit the spot but it's from the guys who made the Sonic game with swords so my hopes aren't up.

DeVeAn

So it seems the fans have accepted that it's going to be a decent Sonic game. Why are they still people posting negative shit? There have been 3 or more threads for the haters, can't the people that enjoy the game have this thread now?

ant1532

Banned
DeVeAn said:
So it seems the fans have accepted that it's going to be a decent Sonic game. Why are they still people posting negative shit? There have been 3 or more threads for the haters, can't the people that enjoy the game have this thread now?
yeah! lets have a fucking thread where people can't speak there mind!

DeVeAn

ant1532 said:
yeah! lets have a fucking thread where people can't speak there mind!
Really? I am just saying I would like to take part in a thread where we have stopped beating a dead horse.

Top Bottom