• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

btkadams

electroshockwave said:
As far as I can tell the custom soundtracks are just through the XMB so if you want to change the song for each level or pause the music while you pause the game you have to go through the XMB to do it.
damn, so it doesn't let you choose them in game like super stardust? hmm.. i wonder how it works with super sonic and invincibility music. do those songs just not play? or do they cut out the xmb music.

jman2050

loosus said:
It's not the worst controlled game ever, but that's not saying much. I mean, I'm sorry, but I don't want to play a game just because it's not the worst ever.

The biggest problem is that there are way way way way too many better platformers out there to just settle for this one being as hohum as it is.

ismaboof

jman2050 said:
The biggest problem is that there are way way way way too many better platformers out there to just settle for this one being as hohum as it is.

So I have a ps3 only. What are my better options? (Genuinely curious)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TL4E said:
Please tell me you're a troll. That's just partially true for maybe the first level, but it's just outright nonsense anywhere after that.
Yeah, this is basically the worst offending thing someone can say about this game. Frankly, it's hilarious how it can be said with a straight face

All the haters got now is "bad physics" (which I'm glad doesn't really get noticed by me let alone bother me)

loosus

Banned
jman2050 said:
Pretty much. I was ready to settle for a quality of "good, even if not for a Sonic game," but there are simply too many games with good controls to put up with this bullshit.

I think the thing that disappointed me most is the fact that there was a lot of wasted potential here. This game didn't have to turn out this way.

Zomba13

TL4E said:
Please tell me you're a troll. That's just partially true for maybe the first level, but it's just outright nonsense anywhere after that.
At the very least it does become that with Super Sonic on almost all levels (maybe even all?)
Not hold right to win, but hold right and jump when you see a hole or raised thing.
Some of the levels really have too many boosters and springs, like the game doesn't trust you to go the right way so it has to keep pushing you in the right direction.

loosus said:
Well, it's official: this game is not fucking fun. Holy shit.

Okay, in some ways, I actually think the level design is sometimes worse than that of the Sonic Advance/Rush games, and that's quite an accomplishment.

This truly is "hold right to win." Oh, except now, you also have "lock on to an enemy in midair to kill them one after another...again...and again...and again."

PS: Why can Sonic still roll up in a ball? It's not even worth having, anymore.
:lol

loosus

Banned
Yeah, I don't literally mean "push right to win." I'm not saying you'll get through a stage by just doing that. But that's what it feels like.

I just played the Japanese demo.

I have been reserving my judgment and hadn't chosen a side, just laughing and entertained by the crying and defending. Thanks guys it's been a great few months.

As for the momentum/physics when you jump, I don't mind that Sonic stops dead in his tracks so much. It was kind of tricky to readjust Sonic in the older games when trying to jump on small moving platforms because he had so much follow through with his jumps. So with that said, I welcome his abrupt stop in the air when you let go of the directional pad.

Where the problem for me comes in is his roll and running. Hitting springs and going through a loop should supply enough momentum to push you through a good chunk of the level provided there is nothing in the way. Doing this in the demo, Sonic could barley make it up the hill not five Sonic lengths away from the loop. I let go of the D-pad and he just stops. I keep holding forward and he goes only a little further.

I read here someone saying hold diagonal down/forward to keep momentum. Sorry to sound like a hivemind but, that's not how it's supposed to work. You're supposed to be able to put the controller down and Sonic should keep rolling or running a good distance until he hits either a wall, an enemy or he slows down in a more natural fashion over time.

Nitpicks: Why on earth would they make him slowly walk and build up to a run? And I really don't care for the squished running animation with the oval pinwheel underneath him. Also his flipping, full speed running, and spin ball animations are too slow for the speed he's going most of the time.

The haters are right, I hate to say it. They kinda messed this game up.

Everything else is great. The look, the feel (of the environments), the sound (for the most part). C'mon Sega wtf dude!

I'm on the fence...

Just purchased on PSN.

I want to finally see what everyone is talking about. I was playing Sonic 3 last night, so it should be interesting to see how I adapt to the new game.

Cell_Biology said:
Just purchased on PSN.

I want to finally see what everyone is talking about. I was playing Sonic 3 last night, so it should be interesting to see how I adapt to the new game.
Oh dear.

And why pay first? demo that shit!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Teetris said:
Yeah, this is basically the worst offending thing someone can say about this game. Frankly, it's hilarious how it can be said with a straight face

All the haters got now is "bad physics" (which I'm glad doesn't really get noticed by me let alone bother me)

Bad physics (which also translates to bad controls), bad music, and bad animations (the running animation...it really is terrible). I mean, if you jump during a spindash and aren't holding right all momentum is instantly lost and you fly straight up in the air. :lol That's just wrong, even if there wasn't a 20-year precedent for how it should behave.

I'm not in the "haters" camp at all but those are all totally valid criticisms and pretending like they don't matter makes you seem far more hopeless than the haters you admonish. I'm pretty much completely indifferent to the game. I was hoping it would turn out well and I would LOVE a new 2D Sonic that could stand on it's own without relying on shamelessly retreading old designs and ideas. Nostalgia is all this game has going for it and I'm just as happy replaying the original 3 games over than spending money on this, and that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Nabs

Cell_Biology said:
Just purchased on PSN.

try playing sonic 3 after playing sonic 4. will blow your mind.

Anth0ny

Downloading now on PSN.

Played through the entirety of Sonic 2 yesterday, and about 80% of S3&K today. Let's see how this fucker holds up.

B.K. said:
I want to play some good Sonic games. Does the PS3 Genesis collection have Sonic 3 & Knuckles?
It has Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. So if you want to play both games, go to town!

If, however, you wanted to play the game as it was meant to be played for some bizarre reason, you're out of luck, because Backbone and Sega are smart companies who make incredibly sound business decisions.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just tried the demo, and I wasn't really into the controls. It just felt extremely stiff...am I just not remembering Sonic games correctly? I don't remember them feeling like this :lol

luka said:
Bad physics (which also translates to bad controls), bad music, and bad animations (the running animation...it really is terrible). I mean, if you jump during a spindash and aren't holding right all momentum is instantly lost and you fly straight up in the air. :lol That's just wrong, even if there wasn't a 20-year precedent for how it should behave.

I'm not in the "haters" camp at all but those are all totally valid criticisms and pretending like they don't matter makes you seem far more hopeless than the haters you admonish. I'm pretty much completely indifferent to the game. I was hoping it would turn out well and I would LOVE a new 2D Sonic that could stand on it's own without relying on shamelessly retreading old designs and ideas. Nostalgia is all this game has going for it and I'm just as happy replaying the original 3 games over than spending money on this, and that's exactly what I plan on doing.
I've played the demo like 30 times trying to either get used to this or determine it's not going to work for me.

You know, I have the Sega collection on 360 and I have yet to play Sonic 3 ever.

B.K. said:
I want to play some good Sonic games. Does the PS3 Genesis collection have Sonic 3 & Knuckles?
Nope, only way for that is the older last gen collections or xbla versions. the megadrive collection has both games but no way to lock-on.

Roto13

SwiftSketcher said:
I too would like to know how they butcher the ports? I've only played their Puzzle Fighter Remix, which I really enjoyed. Haven't played their other projects..
For example:

- Not putting Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. The emulation scene has been able to do this for years but apparently not them.
- Completely broken online play in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. This has since been patched, but it was busted for quite a while.
- Removing the ability to input cheat codes in Comix Zone by removing access to the menu and sound test.
- Messing up the two-player continue system in Gunstar Heroes.

And that's not even close to all of their shenanigans. I wish Capcom and Sega would stop hiring them to ruin their games.

Diablohead said:
Nope, only way for that is the older last gen collections or xbla versions. the megadrive collection has both games but no way to lock-on.

Also the Virtual Console versions.

OnPoint

Mama Robotnik said:
Its objectionable. But its nothing compared to the madness going on in the 1up review:

Thank god they removed the all that horrible 16-bit awkward platforming and added that homing attack, eh?

Mama, I wrote this review last night. I think you'll find it more to your liking than any of those from the bigger sites.

andymcc

Banned
Roto13 said:
For example:

- Not putting Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. The emulation scene has been able to do this for years but apparently not them.
- Completely broken online play in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. This has since been patched, but it was busted for quite a while.
- Removing the ability to input cheat codes in Comix Zone by removing access to the menu and sound test.

And that's not even close to all of their shenanigans. I wish Capcom and Sega would stop hiring them to ruin their games.

no mention of SSFIIHDR's AWESOME art assets?

Roto13 said:
For example:

Also the Virtual Console versions.

I didn't even realise how bad the UGC was. I own it and the seperate versions of each borked game on that disc on XBLA. I did know about lack of lock-on for s3&n but not the screwed up 2p continue system in Gunstar Heroes and the lack of sound test in Comix Zone. Man, thats dumb.

B.K.

ismaboof said:
the special stages are not fun whatsoever

Aren't they based on the Sonic 1 special stages? I always hated them. I've never managed to get a single Chaos Emerald in Sonic 1.

B.K. said:
Aren't they based on the Sonic 1 special stages? I always hated them. I've never managed to get a single Chaos Emerald in Sonic 1.
Visually yes, gameplay more like 25% sonic 1 75% time attack maze.

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I didn't even realise how bad the UGC was. I own it and the seperate versions of each borked game on that disc on XBLA. I did know about lack of lock-on for s3&n but not the screwed up 2p continue system in Gunstar Heroes and the lack of sound test in Comix Zone. Man, thats dumb.
At least the ultimate collection allows you to use the sonic 3 save screen, it's completely chopped out on the xbla release, annoying as shit.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
B.K. said:

Really? I find Sonic 1's special stages to be way easier than the special stages in Sonic 2 and 3. The special stages in Sonic 2 still makes me rage. Fuck 'em.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
fernoca said:
Game's 191MB on Xbox 360; just in case some need to "clean their fridge".

Whoah. :lol I'd get it on Wii just because of the download time differences.

ismaboof

B.K. said:

That but you rotate the stage, you don't move sonic. Were there ring gates in Sonic 1 special stages too?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dark10x said:
It IS nothing like the Genesis games. We've known this for a long time now. That does NOT mean it isn't completely playable and fun.

Sorry, but for some people (like me) it not playing like the Genesis/Megadrive series is EXACTLY what kills it for us. This is supposed to appeal to "fans of the old (Genesis) games" and it isn't. Sorry.

That but you rotate the stage, you don't move sonic. Were there ring gates in Sonic 1 special stages too?

To get to the special stages? Yes.

The special stages in Sonic 1 weren't bad. I liked them, but they were fucking annoying with having to break through a diamond to get the emerald. Only to screw up and hit a gate. FFFFF.

Roto13

Upsidedown Fuji said:
The Gunstar Heroes and Comix Zone problems are in the XBLA/PSN versions. The Ultimate Genesis Collection version of Comix Zone doesn't have a special menu so the sound test is in there. And Gunstar Heroes isn't in Ultimate Genesis Collection. :p

EDIT: I just played the demo and I don't think it's really bad. The homing attack doesn't ruin the game or anything. Physics definitely aren't the same as the Genesis games, though.

MiamiWesker said:
That is a perfect review, exactly how I feel about it.

I guess you could say he was ONPOINT!

v74l6d.jpg

*shot*

As for me, I'll hold off for a while to see if this will actually be re-released in a Complete Edition on disk, and wait for that to drop to $20. :p

ismaboof

TheSeks said:
Sorry, but for some people (like me) it not playing like the Genesis/Megadrive series is EXACTLY what kills it for us. This is supposed to appeal to "fans of the old (Genesis) games" and it isn't. Sorry.

To get to the special stages? Yes.

The special stages in Sonic 1 weren't bad. I liked them, but they were fucking annoying with having to break through a diamond to get the emerald. Only to screw up and hit a gate. FFFFF.
No I'm talking in the special stages. Sonic stays static and you're rotating the stage. Like the wooden marble mazes

Top Bottom