• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

cya ladies in the morning when sonic 4 hits xbla, i'll leave a lot of feedback for the game once i've ran the demo dry that my 360 red rings. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
0 HP said:
this game isn't even half as bad as you mongoloids made it out to be

persona3czz8.jpg

MrPliskin

Banned
0 HP said:
this game isn't even half as bad as you mongoloids made it out to be

I think it just feels sluggish and unresponsive. I mean, why is Sonic slow, and why is it apparently so hard for him to move while he jumps? It just feels really bad...going to try out the Genesis collection tonight to see how it stacks up.

Yeah sorry. Sonic 1 special stages were not special, they were shit. At least I can control my outcome in Sonic 4. Sonic 2 has my favorite special stages though.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I've been willing to give this a fair shake, but finally got the demo on PSN, and man are the controls terrible. Instant stop in the air if you let go of the d-pad no matter how fast you were going, total stop on the sides of curved surfaces, coming out of the ball mode while rolling along, takes forever to get moving yet stopping is instant... just plain terrible movement.

Doesn't matter how passable the rest of the game is if your number one element moves like crap.

Gattsu25

Banned
Booted up the demo and immediately thought that the graphics, Sonic sprite aside, didn't look as bad as I expected. It's not a style that I expected but it's internally consistent.

I then noticed that Sonic loses all forward momentum the second you let go of the D-pad/analog stick, even if you let go while traveling at max speed.
You can also walk up a vertical wall, so long as you have a good 2~5 miles/hr powerwalk going on.
The music is..

RagnarokX

ok, I just played the demo. Level design seems pretty good and the homing attack isn't too bad. That said, the way Sonic controls really needs to be fixed. You stop holding a direction and Sonic just stops almost instantly. Where is the momentum? Momentum goes both ways, Dimps. Spinning needs to pick up speed more than running. I couldn't spin dash up a wall, but I could walk up it, and running down a hill was faster than rolling down it. Overall, I like what I see, I just wish they wouldn't have used these terrible physics holdovers from Rush. Oh yeah, and the uncurling thing. I'll wait for a price drop. I can hope Sega will fix the control issues, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sonic 1's special stages were way better than the ones in this game. Easily the worst special stage of the 2D Sonics. Oh and the music in the Sonic 1 special stages was awesome.

Gravijah

MiamiWesker said:
Sonic 1's special stages were way better than the ones in this game. Easily the worst special stage of the 2D Sonics. Oh and the music in the Sonic 1 special stages was awesome.

Know what I hate? The Sonic 3/S&K special stages. Ugggggggggh.

Sonic 2 has the best special stages.

0 HP

i had no problem at all with the controls. idk, i haven't played the genesis games in years, and yes it felt different, but if you honestly can't adjust...thats sad

the only problem i had was how much everything felt like a rehash. imo, with minimal effort they could have changed the level themes up enough where it could have passed as a whole new game with no resemblance to sonic 1 & 2's zones.

Adam J.

I just bought this and played the first level.

Yeah the physics are a tad off, but damn, I'm really impressed with what they've done with this. Granted I'm more of a casual Sonic fan, so take whatever I have to say about it with a grain of salt.

The graphics are great! So smooth and colorful (watching my gf play the temple level now, looks damn good). I will admit that I'm starting to understand why so many of you hate the green-eyed Sonic. This would look even more amazing if it starred the old chubby, cute Sonic.

SwiftSketcher said:
Yeah sorry. Sonic 1 special stages were not special, they were shit. At least I can control my outcome in Sonic 4. Sonic 2 has my favorite special stages though.
Sonic 1 special stages were both easy and fun. You just suck. >:|

GET BLUE SPHERES 4 lyfe, though.

Gravijah said:

MiamiWesker said:
I think we can all agree on that.
YOU FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT. >:|

MrPliskin

Banned
0 HP said:
i had no problem at all with the controls. idk, i haven't played the genesis games in years, and yes it felt different, but if you honestly can't adjust...thats sad

the only problem i had was how much everything felt like a rehash. imo, with minimal effort they could have changed the level themes up enough where it could have passed as a whole new game with no resemblance to sonic 1 & 2's zones.

It's not that folks can't adjust, we just don't want to. Why should I adjust to play something that's so obviously off? Since when do characters just stop moving in mid-air when you remove your hand from the D-Pad?

Gattsu25

Banned
0 HP said:

It's not that it feels different from older games, for me. I find the physics used to calculate momentum gains/loss bad for platforming, in general.

JSnake

Holy shit. Just holy shit. There is a part near the end (presumably? I haven't gotten past this shit yet) of Labyrinth Zone Act 2 that is just so bad. So, so bad. Soososososoososososoosososo baaaaaaaad. It's just this stupid, stupid puzzle. I can't figure it out.

You have to light these torches to make pillars come out of the wall but the only torches that make the pillars you can use to get to the ledge also make a pillar blocking the way you're supposed to go! So wtf. What the hell am I missing?

Even so, what is this shit doing in this game in the first place? I've gotten three TIME UPs from this fucking puzzle already and it's driving me auaguijdeswhkdnsl

this is going to be the new barrel.

edit: I literally had to go to GameFAQs in order to pass a puzzle in a 2D Sonic game. FUCK that was bad

Combichristoffersen said:
Sonic CD is overrated as all fuck, but it has awesome special stages.

Agreed on both counts. Sonic CD has levels that feel like they were made by a guy in a mental institution, they don't make any sense.

0 HP

the physics work fine for the level design. you're not supposed to play sonic like he's a marble like in sonic 1.

ismaboof

JSnake said:
Holy shit. Just holy shit. There is a part near the end (presumably? I haven't gotten past this shit yet) of Labyrinth Zone Act 2 that is just so bad. So, so bad. Soososososoososososoosososo baaaaaaaad. It's just this stupid, stupid puzzle. I can't figure it out.

You have to light these torches to make pillars come out of the wall but the only torches that make the pillars you can use to get to the ledge also make a pillar blocking the way you're supposed to go! So wtf. What the hell am I missing?

Even so, what is this shit doing in this game in the first place? I've gotten three TIME UPs from this fucking puzzle already and it's driving me auaguijdeswhkdnsl

this is going to be the new barrel.

Haha i just beat that part
The torches are all timed differently Hit the one that shoots you up, wait 3 seconds and hit the one that bring the horizontal one out. (fourth and second respectively)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MiamiWesker said:
Agreed on both counts. Sonic CD has levels that feel like they were made by a guy in a mental institution, they don't make any sense.

The level design is awful, the bosses are terrible (except for the Metal Sonic race) and the time travel mechanic is more of a chore than a good gameplay mechanic. But yeah, the special stages are great.

Synless

Gravijah said:

I liked the Sonic 3/S&K special stages. Sonic 2's are probably best though.

Just played the demo. The level design is nice, but I couldn't get over how heavy Sonic feels. The game also really lacks that sense of speed that made the old Sonic games so cool. I'll pass.

0 HP said:
you're not supposed to play sonic like he's a marble like in sonic 1.
OBJECTION!

There is a clear contradiction in this evidence, as earlier in the case, you stated:

0 HP said:
idk, i haven't played the genesis games in years
If you haven't played the Genesis games in a long time...

HOW CAN YOU CLAIM TO KNOW HOW THE PHYSICS FEEL?

0_61_phoenix_wright_shot.jpg

EDIT: screw all of you; Sonic CD is awesome.

JSnake

ismaboof said:
Haha i just beat that part
The torches are all timed differently Hit the one that shoots you up, wait 3 seconds and hit the one that bring the horizontal one out. (fourth and second respectively)

Yeah I figured it out thanks to GameFAQs.

In a 2D Sonic game.

Jesus christ

0 HP

I AM JOHN! said:
OBJECTION!

There is a clear contradiction in this evidence, as earlier in the case, you stated:

0_61_phoenix_wright_shot.jpg

im aware of the physics thing

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ah special stages, that's easy. Sonic CD > Sonic 3&K > Sonic 1 > Sonic 2. Sorry Grav, fuck Sonic 2's special stages. They're pure memorization with Tails' rage inducing presence fucking everything right to hell. 3&K's specials got a bit tedious, but at least the music was catchy and they weren't the least bit frustrating. Sonic CD's were just awesome and I always opt for that route to the good ending over time travel. The last one or two of them got really fucking hard though.

I AM JOHN! said:

No offense but I'm gonna go sit over there with I AM JOHN!, okay guys?

jambo

I AM JOHN! said:
OBJECTION!

People have this wonderful thing called MEMORY!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I AM JOHN! said:

I'm sure its level design is enjoyable if you regularly drop acid, but for those of us who don't do hallucinogenic drugs, it's a ridiculously overrated
and quite shitty
game.

luka said:
Ah special stages, that's easy. Sonic CD > Sonic 3&K > Sonic 1 > Sonic 2.

I agree with this rating.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Roto13 said:
For example:

- Not putting Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. The emulation scene has been able to do this for years but apparently not them.
Really? Hell, my first exposure to S3&K and indeed video games as a whole was the 10$ "Sonic and Kunckles collection" for PC that I bought at Office Max when I was like 10.

EDIT: Wait...are you all nuts? Sonic 3 had the best special stages. Especially some of the designs in &K

Top Bottom