• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

N4Us

Roto13 said:
Apparently I'm the only one in the world who liked playing as Knuckles and Rouge in the Adventure games.

I didn't mind it in Adventure 1 but it really felt overboard in Adventure 2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MiamiWesker said:
Totally agreed, why are we hiding this, this is well known. Sonic 2 forever the best Sonic game.
Because fans of modern Sonic might hunt us down and kill us if we talk too loudly about Sonic 2 being superior to the post-Sonic Adventure games

wind_steaker said:
S&K > S2 >S3

S2 > S1 > S&K > S3 > Sonic CD for me

Vorg

Banned
You guys should try this: Play Sonic 4 trial/full, download and play Sonic 3 trial. Try going back to Sonic 4 afterwards. D:

Combichristoffersen said:
Because fans of modern Sonic might hunt us down and kill us if we talk too loudly about Sonic 2 being superior to the post-Sonic Adventure games

S2 > S1 > S&K > S3 > Sonic CD for me

What no, we have to worry about the S3&K crew. No one is picking the newer sonic games of over the older ones.

Rankings, why not:

S2 > S1 > S&K > S3 > CD

If we include S3&K I would put that ahead of Sonic 1.

As for 3D Sonic:

SA2 > Unleashed > SA1 > Heroes > Secret Rings >>>>>>> Sonic 06

TL4E

SwiftSketcher said:
Tell me this isn't good fucking level design. Holy fuck.
Speed runs make everything look smooth because the player coordinates everything according to the environment. In reality levels are a lot more clunkier.

.la1n

Roto13 said:
Apparently I'm the only one in the world who liked playing as Knuckles and Rouge in the Adventure games.

yes. yes you are.

yes Sonic 2 is in fact the best Sonic the Hedgehog game ever made yet we are left hiding our love away

luka

Loves Robotech S1
jman2050 said:
I spent 140 hours on SA2 A-ranking everything to get GHZ.

I still have the scars from all the time spent A-ranking Eternal Engine. That level...

I did that too and looking back it's something I totally didn't expect to accomplish. It just kind of happened. At some point the brilliant scoring/ranking system just clicked with me and I powered through getting straight As on everything. It was great (except knuckles/rouge' levels. fuck that shit). GHZ was so damn short though. :lol

Regarding S4, the physics, music and animations are very valid complaints, but honestly if the game is fun I couldn't care less about all the flaws (I'm very much enjoying Castlevania right now).

My problem with this game is basically that it's creatively bankrupt. I'm not looking for a nostalgia hit - I still have S1/2/3 and they're all available in every form imaginable for super cheap. What incentive is there for me to pay 15 dollars for a shorter game where every level and boss is a replica of stuff you can find in the originals, with worse control, music, and iffy art direction to boot? Nostalgia is literally the only thing this game has going for it which is redundant when the original games can be found everywhere.

I have no doubt the game is really fun, but it just seems like a cynical, pointless cash in and people are lapping it up.

acidspunk said:
You guys should try this: Play Sonic 4 trial/full, download and play Sonic 3 trial. Try going back to Sonic 4 afterwards. D:
I played over half of sonic 1 the night before the sonic 4 trial hit even though I have played those games to death, I did the labyrinth act 2 forced crash to see if the backbone 360 version would fuck up enough to access the level select but they were prepared (it soft resets to the game's interface :()

S1 > SCD > S2 > S&K > S3 but that is not to say I hate any of them as I love them all, that's just my preference order, I am a classic sonic 1 fan.

Sonic 4 is fun as hell the only things that I dont like is that sonic uncurls in midair and he can walk up hill. If they can fix the physics/uncurling in the next episode I will be happy. They did a great job with the graphics too it looks sweet on my HDTV. I also felt that Splash Hill zone is TOO similar to Green Hill Zone. I don't think anybody wanted a straight up rehash they wanted more levels in the classic style.

.la1n

MiamiWesker said:
Rankings, why not:

S2 > S1 > S&K > S3 > CD

If we include S3&K I would put that ahead of Sonic 1.

As for 3D Sonic:

SA2 > Unleashed > SA1 > Heroes > Secret Rings >>>>>>> Sonic 06

I care not for 3D rankings but your 2D rankings are pretty on par with my own. Except I believe S3 and CD could be interchangeable but acknowledge CD isn't for everyone.

TL4E

Roto13 said:
Those levels were miserable.

Sonic/Shadow levels were acceptable to good, Eggman/Tails levels were meh, and Knuckles/Rogue levels can go die in a fire.

Combichristoffersen

MiamiWesker said:
What no, we have to worry about the S3&K crew. No one is picking the newer sonic games of over the older ones.

The innocence.. ;_; I've seen fans of modern Sonic games (children and/or teenagers, I assume) argue online that the old 16-bit games are shit, boring and 'gay', while simultaneously praising modern Sonic, including Shadow the Hedgehog (both the character and the game)

Edit: In fact, I think one of them even called Sonic 'gay' compared to Shadow, because Shadow was 'the cool and dark' version of Sonic, or something like that :lol

jman2050

Roto13 said:

They weren't good, but they were incredibly easy to complete/rank once you memorized each emerald's first hints so you could safely tuck it away forever once you finished.

On the other other, I thought the Tails/Eggman stages were actually really good, a much improved and focused refinement of E-102's stages. And the scoring system ruled.

Well okay, Eternal Engine sucked beyond belief, but that was the exception rather than the norm.

.la1n said:
I care not for 3D rankings but your 2D rankings are pretty on par with my own. Except I believe S3 and CD could be interchangeable but acknowledge CD isn't for everyone.

I am on of the guys that dont get CD. I feel like the game was made by a team that was on drugs. But hey its still Sonic and its still fun but I wouldn't put it ahead of the Genesis games.

TL4E

MiamiWesker said:
I am on of the guys that dont get CD. I feel like the game was made by a team that was on drugs. But hey its still Sonic and its still fun but I wouldn't put it ahead of the Genesis games.
Maybe the game would be fun while on certain drugs.

I'll give it a go sometime.

Dandy

TL4E said:
Speed runs make everything look smooth because the player coordinates everything according to the environment. In reality levels are a lot more clunkier.
This doesn't even make sense.

jman2050 said:
They weren't good, but they were incredibly easy to complete/rank once you memorized each emerald's first hints so you could safely tuck it away forever once you finished.

On the other other, I thought the Tails/Eggman stages were actually really good, a much improved and focused refinement of E-102's stages. And the scoring system ruled.

Well okay, Eternal Engine sucked beyond belief, but that was the exception rather than the norm.

I didn't hate the Knuckles levels, they were just there, rather painless levels. Like you said it was simple to master. I enjoyed everything else about the game. SA2 had so much content. Remember how every act had 5 ways to complete it, and the last version was a remixed hard mode of the level. The game was huge. Such a fun, deep game. Unleashed had glipses of that, but the werehog stuff was a pain. If you do a Sonic game of all daytime levels from Unleashed I think you have the best 3D Sonic, which is what I am hoping Colors is.

Combichristoffersen

MiamiWesker said:

Same here. Sonic CD isn't a terrible game by any means, but it feels and looks weird, like the programmers and designers were tripping on LSD while making the game.

S3K is the best to me, but only together as one game. The size of the levels, the multiple paths, the differences between characters, and how epic the story stuff gets later on - that's the perfect amount of story for Sonic - perfected there and never since - it's brilliant.

Ok, ok. Why no momentum when jumping? Why do you have to hold the direction or you just stop still? Who on earth thought that would be a good idea? Why have the physics gone backwards? Argghhhhhhhhh.

TL4E

OriginalThinking said:
Ok, ok. Why no momentum when jumping? Why do you have to hold the direction or you just stop still? Who on earth thought that would be a good idea? Why have the physics gone backwards? Argghhhhhhhhh.
I don't get why this bothers people. Do you purposely stop holding right when mid-air?

Teknoman

dark10x said:
What about it? It's a great stage. I've been playing through this one over and over trying to go for the last emerald (I should have obtained the easier emeralds on the harder levels for make retries easier).

Probably should've worded that better :lol was just waking up when I posted that. I meant Mad Gear act 1 is one of the best stages in the game, both in music, layout, and background style. That should be the level that designers look toward for what to do right in the next episodes.

Combichristoffersen

Teknoman said:
Probably should've worded that better :lol was just waking up when I posted that. I meant Mad Gear act 1 is one of the best stages in the game, both in music, layout, and background style. That should be the level that designers look toward for what to do right in the next episodes.

Indeed. Mad Gear act 1 and 2 are probably the best levels in the game. Mad Gear act 3 can go fuck itself.

TL4E said:
I don't get why this bothers people. Do you purposely stop holding right when mid-air?
When playing sonic 1-2-3-sk-cd-8bit sonics? yes. Of course the direct sequel to sonic and knuckles has to go change things about so much that it's shit in all areas thanks to the legendary dimps rush engine.

My friend Owen said:
you need to go fuck up the Sonic 4 thread
people are saying Sonic 2 is better than 3K
I am here to say that you people are almost as bad as every single idiot who claims that the homing attack belongs in a 2D platformer.

Furthermore, anyone who counts the games seperately is even more of an idiot, because artist's intent is that the two games combined are Sonic 3, and artist's intent always wins.

Yes, because usually it makes Sonic slow down, not stop completely. To rein him in properly you have to hold left. This gives you far more control than the present system, and provides a greater challenge.

I downloaded the trial, and after only a minute of playing, I felt like I could give my impressions.

My impressions:

sonic4sucks.jpg

My verdict:

sonic4sucks2.jpg

Seriously, what is with the physics in this game? It's bad enough that you can stand on/walk up walls, but there is ZERO momentum once you're in the air. No matter how fast you're moving, you drop straight down like a rock a split second after you let go of the controls.

If you like this game, I'm happy for you, but I think it feels like a Flash game, and it has no right being called Sonic 4.

Combichristoffersen

I AM JOHN! said:
Furthermore, anyone who counts the games seperately is even more of an idiot, because artist's intent is that the two games combined are Sonic 3, and artist's intent always wins.

Even when combined, S3&K is still inferior to Sonic 2.

Big One

Banned
Guess I'll do my rankings...

Sonic 3/S&K > Sonic CD > Sonic 2 > Sonic 1 > 8bit Sonic series (except for Sonic Blast) >>> Knuckles' Chaotix >>> Rest of the Sonic games, 2D or 3D

Teknoman

Indeed. Mad Gear act 1 and 2 are probably the best levels in the game. Mad Gear act 3 can go fuck itself.

Yeah, I can take running from a bolder or something chasing you, but I never liked giant danger walls in games. Even as far back as Evil Wall in FFIV.

I need to make a video of Mad Gear and Lost Labyrinth 2.

RobbieNick

OriginalThinking said:

BECAUSE IT LETS YOU HAVE PRECISE CONTROL IN MID-AIR!! Why is this so hard to get? Sonic controls differently. Get over it. He controls like he does in Advance or Rush. Have you guys not played a single fucking 2-D Sonic game since the Genesis era?

If you can't control Sonic it's because you suck at the game. I've never had a problem getting him to go precisely where I need to. You just have to get used to the way he handles. Wow, holding right to go right. What a concept.

Some of the levels design in this game are genius. I noticed in LL Act 1, there is some drillers that pop out of the ground near the beginning. I H.A.'ed the last one and noticed a spring you could only see if you hit him at the top of his jump. Hitting that spring gives you a huge shortcut that shaves time off of a speed run. Say what you want about physics, but it's very obvious a lot of work went into level design.

Also, I find the level designs of Lost Labyrinth and Mad Gear as huge improvement over their predecessors. The original Labyrinth and Metropolis zones had little room for any kind of speed where these levels offer a more proper balance. Also, the badniks like the starfish and Shellcrackers are less frustrating.

Also, 90% of my complaints about boost pads only deal with Splash Hill. They are more sparse as the game progresses.

Well downloaded the trail, and as I suspected they changed nothing aside from removing the mine cart level.

It's the same game I played 2 or 3 months ago.

Wonder why Sega said they were going to change things when they clearly didn't outside of the minecart atrocity.

Yeah, not sure if I'm going to buy this. Something about it just feels....off.

Combichristoffersen

Willy105 said:
In what way?

- Fugly new Sonic sprite
- Another shitty friend; Knuckles
- Grainy, ugly graphics that aren't as sleek and clean as Sonic 1, 2 and CD
- Levels that are overly long (and occasionally ends up being boring due to their length)
- Sandopolis
- Marble Garden
- The music overall isn't as good as Sonic 2

The bonus stages are pretty neat though, and Ice Cap Zone has awesomerrific music. It's not a bad game by any means, I just don't like it anywhere near as much as Sonic 1 and 2

Ugh, while I am enjoying this game, the physics really make certain areas a pain. If they aren't fixed for Ep 2 I will definitely not be buying it, which is too bad because over all this is pretty nice.

Btw, how long on average is it taking people to beat this?

Requeim

- Fugly new Sonic sprite
- Another shitty friend; Knuckles
- Grainy, ugly graphics that aren't as sleek and clean as Sonic 1, 2 and CD
- Levels that are overly long (and occasionally ends up being boring due to their length)
- Sandopolis
- Marble Garden
- The music overall isn't as good as Sonic 2

The bonus stages are pretty neat though, and Ice Cap Zone has awesomerrific music. It's not a bad game by any means, I just don't like it anywhere near as much as Sonic 1 and 2

i love you

and i agree

Top Bottom