• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

Ecotic

So for those who have it, does Sonic 4 play more like Sonic 1 or it's sequels 2 & 3? Sonic 4 looks like a direct imitation of Sonic 1 (which I didn't like very much), and so I'm really thinking I shouldn't get it.

clav

Ecotic said:
So for those who have it, does Sonic 4 play more like Sonic 1 or it's sequels 2 & 3? Sonic 4 looks like a direct imitation of Sonic 1 (which I didn't like very much), and so I'm really thinking I shouldn't get it.
Plays like none of the above.

Don't get it. It's garbage.

Ecotic said:
It's plays NOTHING like the classics. Which is very unfortunate.

Teknoman

Ecotic said:

Its more or less like a mix of Sonic 1 and 2 with a small bit of 3's vine swinging (sorta) as far as stage styles go. As far as how the actual gameplay mechanics work, its got a style of its own, which may or may not be a good thing for you.

Roto13

Teknoman said:
Its more or less like a mix of Sonic 1 and 2 with a small bit of 3's vine swinging (sorta) as far as stage styles go. As far as how the actual gameplay mechanics work, its got a style of its own, which may or may not be a good thing for you.
^^ This. Come on. It's a momentum-based platformer with spindashing and loops. Saying it's "nothing" like a Sonic game is just stupid.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ecotic said:
It doesn't play like any of those. There's a demo, right? Play the demo and see if you like it.

Teknoman said:
It's unfortunate that there wasn't as much influence from Sonic 3, but understandable - I find that most casual Sonic players only had the first two games back in the day.

It is of course the best one.

I finally managed to get an Emerald. God this shit is so annoying.

Come on SEGA you were so close to having it just right. Fix it for the next episode dammit!

RobbieNick

Boney said:

No wonder he personally doesn't like the game and I do. He plays completely differently from the way I play. He keeps letting go of the D-Pad and slapping his thumb down when he needs to spin or go back. I keep my thumb on the D-Pad at all times. Usually, keep my thumb pressed moving forward cuz some part of my brain thinks this actually helps me go faster when I know it doesn't. Ergo, when I play Sonic 4 in the same manner I always do.

It's not a bad method of control. Just one you have to get used to.

Sega1991 said:

Source invalid.:lol Just teasing.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
RobbieNick said:
No wonder he personally doesn't like the game and I do. He plays completely differently from the way I play. He keeps letting go of the D-Pad and slapping his thumb down when he needs to spin or go back. I keep my thumb on the D-Pad at all times. Usually, keep my thumb pressed moving forward cuz some part of my brain thinks this actually helps me go faster when I know it doesn't. Ergo, when I play Sonic 4 in the same manner I always do.

It's not a bad method of control. Just one you have to get used to.

I'm pretty sure he's just exaggerating his thumb movements to make it clear what he's doing. Unless you're being sarcastic. I can't tell with anyone anymore.

.la1n

claviertekky said:
Shitty game it is.
I remember when I used to be negative in this thread but atleast I used reasonable intelligence to back up my concerns. You on the other hand just seem bored and angsty. First one on my ignore list.

Feelsgoodman.gif

Teknoman

RobbieNick said:
I keep my thumb on the D-Pad at all times. Usually, keep my thumb pressed moving forward cuz some part of my brain thinks this actually helps me go faster when I know it doesn't. Ergo, when I play Sonic 4 in the same manner I always do.

Same here, always played Sonic that way...:lol kinda surprised TSSZ of all places gave it a below average rating. Then again, I guess its not the Sonic Stadium.

clav

.la1n said:
I remember when I used to be negative in this thread but atleast I used reasonable intelligence to back up my concerns. You on the other hand just seem bored and angsty. First one on my ignore list.

Feelsgoodman.gif
I already explained countless times why I don't like it.

It really isn't a good game.

DeVeAn

So many times in this industry I had my hopes dashed. Sega of course the most guilty especially being my favorite game company. I think I have gone beyond jaded and just try to have fun with whatever I can.

I really wasn't expecting Sega to him a homerun with Sonic 4. That said though I was able to have fun with Sonic 4. I think it's silly to think that these companies own us something when clearly it's all about the dollar. We all knew it wasn't gonna be what we wanted.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Got the third chaos emerald and the trophy for getting 99+ lives. God, this game makes me angry. Sega had the perfect chance to give Sonic a return to form by making Sonic 4, a real sequel to the Mega Drive games. Instead they make Sonic Advance 4 HD, slap on the Sonic 4 name and go all trollface.jpg.

I just finished it. I was excited at first but by the halfway point it was getting tiresome. I went back and played some sonic 3 and it wasn't that much better. The basic Sonic formula is just too limited.

Tailzo

I think it's sad that I didn't like the demo much. I mean I should've loved it. If myself from 15 years ago knew I didn't buy Sonic 4, he (I) woud've be furious! At one point I bought every Sonic game made. Sonic 1 was great, Sonic 2 was great, Sonic 3&Knuckles was the best game ever at the time and I even liked Sonic Spinball.

:(

I don't want to fill this game with negativity though. The game should be good for those that never experienced Sonic at the time it was the best platforming game series in the world

TunaLover

1z3o301.jpg

:lol
HUELEN? Could be? =O
By the way I finish it, pretty good game, I'm eagerly wainting for Episode 2 :D

Big One

Banned
Roto13 said:
Apparently physics that are different automatically suck.
The physics themself don't really suck. People will hate to admit it, but they worked really well in the Rush games since the level design basically was to build a different type of speed and momentum that wasn't seen in previous Sonic games as you progress through the levels. This isn't the case with Sonic 4.

Matter of fact I think Sonic 4 has some really great level design (and yes, I recently bought it). Thematically it may be a "rehash" to some people but once you play it you realize that these levels really are different from the stuff we've seen in the Genesis era. And that's also a part of it's problems: The levels are too good for the Rush physics. Sonic constantly feels like he's a bigger character in a small/tight space world in Sonic 4. You constantly hit walls, walk on walls, without even really trying to.

tl;dr: Sonic 4 doesn't really work because the level design doesn't compliment the physics, period. Wait till someone makes a fan-version or a hack of Sonic 4.

Blueblur1

The physics suck. Period. When I get launched from minecarts and other ramps and drop like a rock shortly before reaching the intended destination (and to my death), the physics system/dynamics are to blame.

I still can't believe that there's a Sonic 4 Defense Force. Does not compute.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ecotic said:
Shit sucks, if you can play the trial, you'll see why. This game does not deserve the Sonic 4 title.

Ogni-XR21

I really don't like it, the controls are off, the music is just plain bad and the animations are horrible. Sega/Sonic Team/Dimps really don't have a clue what made the Mega Drive classics great. And to think this is the result of a 3 month delay where they told us to fix a lot of stuff the people were complaining about.

Talk about wasting 15€... but I just had to see for myself.

This does not give me any confidence in PSO2.

ismaboof

Blueblur1 said:
The physics suck. Period. When I get launched from minecarts and other ramps and drop like a rock shortly before reaching the intended destination (and to my death), the physics system/dynamics are to blame.

I still can't believe that there's a Sonic 4 Defense Force. Does not compute.

It's a $15 game and I somewhat enjoyed it. Deal with it.

Blueblur1

ismaboof said:
It's a $15 game and I somewhat enjoyed it. Deal with it.
Remind me to never take game suggestions from you.

Correction to my last post: I forgot to type that you drop like a rock when not holding right. Like Jeff Gertsmann would say, Sonic 4 is straight-up janky!

Roto13

Blueblur1 said:
No, you're to blame for letting go of the directional pad. You know how the game plays. You know what you need to do to stay in motion, so do it. It's not complicated.

Gravijah

Blueblur1 said:
Remind me to never take game suggestions from you.

Correction to my last post: I forgot to type that you drop like a rock when not holding right. Like Jeff Gertsmann would say, Sonic 4 is straight-up janky!

You probably shouldn't take suggestions from anyone since, at some point or another, they're going to like things that you do not and hate things you do.

ismaboof

kyo_daikun said:
Not getting involved in a fight or anything but did you feel you got your money's worth out of it?

- I got to the final boss within 90 minutes.

If you're going to play through it once, I don't think it's worth $15. I have been trying to unlock all the trophies and that will up your play time. I'm probably at 4-5 hours right now and I haven't unlocked Super Sonic yet.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I got my $15 worth. Compared to a movie ticket, yes. But as a game? You could probably do better. It's not the worst purchase in the world, but it's already at the point where it's not my goto game everytime I turn on my ps3. But I still had fun with it (despite swearing an awful lot in special stages--I still can't get the 7th one).

Roto13 said:
No, you're to blame for letting go of the directional pad. You know how the game plays. You know what you need to do to stay in motion, so do it. It's not complicated.

Here's the thing, though: In Sonic 4 (and by relation, Sonic Rush), Sonic decelerates faster than he accelerates. To a certain degree, you can actually come to a stop faster by jumping in to the air and letting go of a direction than you can by actually stopping the way most people do it (by pressing the opposite direction on the d-pad, initiating a skid that's SUPPOSED to make it easier to come to a stop).

This doesn't happen in the classic Sonic games, Sonic accelerates and decelerates at roughly the same speeds while on the ground. In the air, Sonic's deceleration takes a hit, meaning he keeps far more of his pre-existing momentum regardless of what the player is doing with the controller. If Sonic is going forward, jumps, and the player lets go of the controller, he will continue going forward until he lands.

From a mental standpoint, that makes far more logical sense. For instance, Mario does this. So does just about any platformer worth playing. Having a character stop dead in mid-air and fall straight down just because you let go of a direction for half a second is awkward.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel here. There is a solution that works and is implemented in better games. And yet...

Roto13

Blueblur1 said:
Riiiiiggghhht.
Yes. Right. What I said is a fact. So it's right.
Sega1991 said:
Here's the thing, though: In Sonic 4 (and by relation, Sonic Rush), Sonic decelerates faster than he accelerates. To a certain degree, you can actually come to a stop faster by jumping in to the air and letting go of a direction than you can by actually stopping the way most people do it (by pressing the opposite direction on the d-pad, initiating a skid that's SUPPOSED to make it easier to come to a stop).

This doesn't happen in the classic Sonic games, Sonic accelerates and decelerates at roughly the same speeds while on the ground. In the air, Sonic's deceleration takes a hit, meaning he keeps far more of his pre-existing momentum regardless of what the player is doing with the controller. If Sonic is going forward, jumps, and the player lets go of the controller, he will continue going forward until he lands.

From a mental standpoint, that makes far more logical sense. For instance, Mario does this. So does just about any platformer worth playing. Having a character stop dead in mid-air and fall straight down just because you let go of a direction for half a second is awkward.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel here. There is a solution that works and is implemented in better games. And yet...
Yeah, I think it's been pretty much established, and agreed upon by everyone in the world, that the physics are different. Different doesn't mean bad. It means different. Haters make it sound like the game is unplayable, but I never had a single problem with the physics, because I wasn't expecting 12 more levels of Sonic 3.

This game is not very good. The stop and go midair physics are ass and not suited for this style of Sonic game. The Sonic character himself has an out-of-place shitty cell-shaded look and his initial walk animation looks horrible.

The last two complaints I could have overlooked, but the controls pretty much ruin the entire deal for me. It's too bad because my first reaction before I had touched the controls was "Fuckyes!".

When is that fan made remake coming out? That looks promising.

Nabs

Roto13 said:

Yeah, I think it's been pretty much established, and agreed upon by everyone in the world, that the physics are different. Different doesn't mean bad. It means different. Haters make it sound like the game is unplayable, but I never had a single problem with the physics, because I wasn't expecting 12 more levels of Sonic 3.

we all know the physics are different, but we're saying the physics are bad. stop calling people haters just because they disagree with you.

fastford58 said:
When is that fan made remake coming out? That looks promising.

3 acts next week (I think.)

Roto13 said:

I'm not saying that different is bad, though. Sonic Rush is not a bad game. The Sonic Rush physics are appropriate for the type of game they were designed for.

The problem rears its head when Sonic 4 tries to be "like the old games" in a physics engine that was not designed to appropriately handle that kind of level design. Hence, you homing attack a spring that takes you across a pit, and instinctively let go of the analog stick because, typically, even in the Sonic Rush games in which Sonic 4's physics engine is based upon, holding a direction after being sprung will usually make you overshoot/undershoot your destination.

Except that in this case, you're supposed to be holding the direction, otherwise you'll never make it far enough. The game makes zero indication that this is what is supposed to be happening, and Sonic stops moving, falls straight down, and dies.

That is bad design. Not just "different" design, but BAD.

Roto13 said:

:lol You really like this game. We get it! Everyone who doesn't like it is WRONG. We get it.

I like the part where you decide people hate the physics because they're simply different (not that they suck) and that we should easily compensate for the games flaws.

Holding down the button at all times doesn't change the fact that when it motion he still feels weird. As someone earlier said; it's like Sonic in molasses.

Roto13

jonnybryce said:
:lol You really like this game. We get it! Everyone who doesn't like it is WRONG. We get it.

I like the part where you decide people hate the physics because they're simply different (not that they suck) and that we should easily compensate for the games flaws.

Holding down the button at all times doesn't change the fact that when it motion he still feels weird. As someone earlier said; it's like Sonic in molasses.
I think it's pretty safe to say that if you don't like it because you're playing it wrong, you dislike it for the wrong reasons. I can see plenty of valid reasons why someone wouldn't like Sonic 4. Even the physics, if you want to be able to play it like Sonic 1-3. But I have to wonder how many of you people have actually played a game with bad physics. Come on. Some people are actually saying the physics are floaty. That's the opposite of the reality.

Top Bottom