• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

Oh sweet people were talking about the only FF I've played aside from 1.
I love FF IX too, I just got Eiko for my party.
Okay this has been bothering me since I got her in my party, but how do you actually pronounce Eiko? Is it like eye-ko or is it meant to be ay-ko or something else entirely?
FF9's story kinda unravels into a bunch of incoherent nonsense by the time you hit disc 3 or so.
Yeah I think I'm at the end of FF9 now (in some dungeon called Memoria on disc 4) and I really liked the story until you went to Terra then it just fucking dove off the deep end and I don't know what is going on any more. A lot of the story details then just came out of nowhere, Zidane being
a clone
for example seems to have no purpose except to have a twist back story for the main character when the character was fine before.
On the subject of FFIX, I like it, I just wish the ATB meters weren't so slow for whatever reason. Even with Haste, it still takes forever to fill up.
FF9 became way better once I grinded everyone to have the Auto-Haste and Auto-Regen skills. Still don't know how I played that game before because it feels like the Hasted ATB gauge speed should be the default.
You know that part where you split the party into two teams, one of which goes to investigate that temple that blocks magic? Well for some reason, when it told me that the area blocks magic and I should pick a team, I thought the game might be lying to me. So I brought all my magic users with me. That dungeon was hell because of that, but I managed to make it through.
I fucking did the exact same thing because of course Kuja was going to tell the truth, you can't trick me video game!

Emitan

kawaii_sonic_by_wowsaphara-d3d2yse.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
About to nap, but I apologize? I don't know what's going on?

Anyway...

OMG Aero said:
Okay this has been bothering me since I got her in my party, but how do you actually pronounce Eiko? Is it like eye-ko or is it meant to be ay-ko or something else entirely?
Ay-ko would be the easiest way to pronounce it.

OMG Aero said:
A lot of the story details then just came out of nowhere, Zidane being
a clone
for example seems to have no purpose except to have a twist back story for the main character when the character was fine before.
Yeah, that's exactly what I dislike about that section of the game and into Disc 4 in general. Shit comes out of nowhere, things happen because they needed more character development when they really didn't need any of it, etc.

Take out a lot of that, and the game's narrative isn't bad.

Oh sweet people were talking about the only FF I've played aside from 1.

Yeah I think I'm at the end of FF9 now (in some dungeon called Memoria on disc 4) and I really liked the story until you went to Terra then it just fucking dove off the deep end and I don't know what is going on any more. A lot of the story details then just came out of nowhere, Zidane being
a clone

FF9 became way better once I grinded everyone to have the Auto-Haste and Auto-Regen skills. Still don't know how I played that game before because it feels like the Hasted ATB gauge speed should be the default.

I fucking did the exact same thing because of course Kuja was going to tell the truth, you can't trick me video game!

I always pronounced Eiko as eye ko. It may be wrong but hell if I care!

Actually wasn't Kuja more of the clone?

And I thought the story did a good job of holding itself together. I thought it did a better job than it's previous entry VIII, whose interesting story died a fiery death after
Ultemecia showed up

GAMERG0D

I always pronounced Eiko as eye ko. It may be wrong but hell if I care!

Actually wasn't Kuja more of the clone?

And I thought the story did a good job of holding itself together. I thought it did a better job than it's previous entry VIII, whose interesting story died a fiery death after
Ultemecia showed up
VIII is my favorite one out of all of them. :p Only haven't beaten IX and XII.

I generally have no problems with FF VIII! Other than that...and some of the stupid rules for the card game I wasn't able to get rid of.

In retrospect FFVIII was an interesting experiment.

After playing FFXIII literally every other entry in the series has gotten a free pass in my eyes.

I realized in retrospect, in al lot of ways XIII-2 is worse than XIII, mainly because I believe it failed to deliver what a proper sequel is supposed too.

All that lore, all those pages and pages of world building that many they FORCE you to read because they couldn't bother to integrate it in the game itself, all that potential...is never expanded, never elaborated, never even given a passing mention. What the hell was it all for?

Then they have the audacity to destroy the setting that they FORCE the player to read hours and hours of information on...and honestly looking at the XIII series as a whole I must say I feel like it's a giant waste of time. You could argue that videogames by their very nature are a waste of time, but not if I feel like my time was well spent. I feel like the battle system is a waste of time because honestly I feel like the Staggering system is a useless mechanic made to pad the battles or add artificial complexity by giving every enemy this massive regeneration shield you have to take down every battle, making several minutes of fighting feel like a waste of time until you can do real
soviet
damage. The world is a waste of time because they destroyed it anyway, which means the datalog was a waste of time and the very mythology they built was, while not a waste of time, wasted on Toriyama's hack ass whims because he doesn't give a damn about anything except Lightning.

I don't know, all in all every time I look at XIII or anything related to it all I can think is "Man look at this waste. Waste of resources. Waste of brand recognition. Just a big waste"

I just feel like I wasted my time with it. And I love video games so I don't think it being a video game is the problem.

/end semi-coherent rant

Emitan

Been thinking about playing XIII and XIII-2. Maybe I'll wait for Waifu's Return instead after reading that. Sounds like I won't be missing any story.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I realized in retrospect, in al lot of ways XIII-2 is worse than XIII, mainly because I believe it failed to deliver what a proper sequel is supposed too.

All that lore, all those pages and pages of world building that many they FORCE you to read because they couldn't bother to integrate it in the game itself, all that potential...is never expanded, never elaborated, never even given a passing mention. What the hell was it all for?

Then they have the audacity to destroy the setting that they FORCE the player to read hours and hours of information on...and honestly looking at the XIII series as a whole I must say I feel like it's a giant waste of time. You could argue that videogames by their very nature are a waste of time, but not if I feel like my time was well spent. I feel like the battle system is a waste of time because honestly I feel like the Staggering system is a useless mechanic made to pad the battles or add artificial complexity by giving every enemy this massive regeneration shield you have to take down every battle, making several minutes of fighting feel like a waste of time until you can do real
soviet
damage. The world is a waste of time because they destroyed it anyway, which means the datalog was a waste of time and the very mythology they built was, while not a waste of time, wasted on Toriyama's hack ass whims because he doesn't give a damn about anything except Lightning.

I don't know, all in all every time I look at XIII or anything related to it all I can think is "Man look at this waste. Waste of resources. Waste of brand recognition. Just a big waste"

I just feel like I wasted my time with it. And I love video games so I don't think it being a video game is the problem.

/end semi-coherent rant

You sound like me and Schala. lol.

Been thinking about playing XIII and XIII-2. Maybe I'll wait for Waifu's Return instead after reading that. Sounds like I won't be missing any story.

Some people like XIII's nonsense story, I will never tell you not to play it, but I will tell you that I hate the XIII series so much. So goddamn much.

I wish I would have stopped at the first chapter but I played all the way to chapter 11.

"The game gets so much better there! XD"

FUCK YOU NO IT DOESN'T

OH WOW, I GET TO DO MEANINGLESS SIDE QUEST FOR DEAD ROCK PEOPLE

What the fuck is the meaning in that? What is the reward?

Oh you get to explore more EMPTY ASS ENVIRONMENTS and fight more PALETTE SWAPPED MONSTERS for no fucking RAISIN.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Well shit fuck sidequest I'll continue with the main story...oh look a cave surely I will be able to explore...oh the cave is a fucking corridor.

With robots that block your path so you have to fight them to progress.

FUCK GAME OF THE GENERATION RIGHT HERE FOLKS

YEAH THIS SURE IS A GOOD FINAL FANTASY

Fuck.

/end old man yelling at Cloud

Calm down Mecannical! Calm! Just think about Shut Up and Jam! Gaiden 2. That's coming. RPGs will be saved soon.

Yes.

My anger is quelled.

Also looking forward to the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 from CD Projekt Red.

Speaking of CD Projekt Red, I must say the The Witcher 2 was ten million times better than XIII as far as linear RPGs go.

It was railroaded as hell, but at least there were sidequest (actually interesting sidequest that made you think about shit) and they let you explore environments.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I noticed some posts the other day that I feel need to be addressed.

1. Sonic 3's sprite is better than Sonic 2's sprite, but both are great.
2. Sonic & Knuckles is the best Sonic game of all time.
3. Sonic Adventure Sonic is better than Modern Sonic, although I think both are good.
4. I'd rather play Sonic 2006 than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
joking

So yeah, take that you opinion makers.

Well, I noticed some posts the other day that I feel need to be addressed.

1. Sonic 3's sprite is better than Sonic 2's sprite, but both are great.
2. Sonic & Knuckles is the best Sonic game of all time.
3. Sonic Adventure Sonic is better than Modern Sonic, although I think both are good.
joking

So yeah, take that you opinion makers.

I agree with all except 3, though I would like to ssee modern sonic gameplay expanded and enhanced to be more like the Adventure games, only actually, you know, good.

As for 4 I'm completely neutral on that, but hey we can all agree Melee is fucking amazing.

Hey now, I love SE.

Get out.

:mad:

jk

VIII's actually may favorite FF. I acknowledge VI as the pinnacle of the series though, if that makes any sense.

I can certainly understand why VI is considered a pinnacle, but VII will always be my favorite for reasons nobody remembers because of shit like Advent Children.

I guess all in all the reason I like FFVII so much is because it felt the most "real" to me. Both when I played it as a child and when I revisited it as an adult.

It also helps that the second playthrough made me finally understand the plot completely and find a whole bunch of shit I never knew existed.

Nert

SonicGAF has a subset of jaded SE fans, confirmed.

Before Generations and Colors came out, I imagine that SonicGAF was mostly jaded Sega fans (I know that I was).

It's hard for me to get too mad at SE because they at least put out The World Ends With You this generation. Ever since then, though... yikes!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been leaning more to the job-based FFs in terms of the ones I like the most lately, I've noticed.

Chapter 1 of the Hoops Barkley Saga was the Phoenix Down for the genre, but Square just Super Nova'd it again with FFXIII.
Ah, so SE is the industry equivalent of Sephiroth. I had no idea. Makes sense. Used to be badass, went crazy, blew shit up.

joking
Oh snap.

It's hard for me to get too mad at Square Enix because they at least put out The World Ends With You this generation. Ever since then, though... yikes!

I still can't believe how good that game is.

Seriously, I personally believe it's one of the best games ever made and I literally cannot believe they made a game of that quality this generation.

But then again handheld SE is like a whole different company.

I can certainly understand why VI is considered a pinnacle, but VII will always be my favorite for reasons nobody remembers because of shit like Advent Children.

I guess all in all the reason I like FFVII so much is because it felt the most "real" to me. Both when I played it as a child and when I revisited it as an adult.

It also helps that the second playthrough made me finally understand the plot completely and find a whole bunch of shit I never knew existed.

I recognize VI and VII being pinnacles of the series. My experience with VII was so great when I beat it last year.

I'd actually say VII is right up there with VI (Seriously, I finished a replay of it a few days ago, and it's still fantastic.), I just didn't want to list two games.

I'm almost convinced TWEWY was some kind of freak accident. First RPG from them since Chrono Trigger where I've thought "Wow, why don't more games do this?"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I still can't believe how good that game is.

Seriously, I personally believe it's one of the best games ever made and I literally cannot believe they made a game of that quality this generation.

But then again handheld SE is like a whole different company.

handheld games have been top notch. It's the console ones that I find questionable.

I... don't like TWEWY. I am the only person I know who doesn't :(

I can understand why you wouldn't.

But for me it really clicked.

I dig the hell out of that game.

I even actually like Neku as a character despite being an emo sadsack mainly because his snark skills are top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom