• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I was going to make a comparison on how it would be like if Nintendo decided to make a dark and edgy Mario game and it alienated half the fanbase because no one asked for such a game, but then I remembered that I am enjoying my new office.

Village

for fuck sakes village

hmm?

So we are going to pretend like the "if its good they will come " mentality that has occupied entertainment...since the birth of entertainment magically ended with shadow the hedgehog?

Hmm alright fine , I will leave you to your devices.

ShadiWulf

You know, I was going to make a comparison on how it would be like if Nintendo decided to make a dark and edgy Mario game and it alienated half the fanbase because no one asked for such a game, but then I remembered that I am enjoying my new office.

I'm sure Iizuka would love to corrupt Mario if he was ever given the chance.

Sciz

It can't be overstated. The announcement trailer features Shadow shooting up footage of the series's past. It's practically on the level of how id hung four Commander Keens in nooses at the end of MAP32 of Doom 2 and forced you to eviscerate them to open up the exit in terms of how "you like what we did? Well SCREW YOU NOW WE'RE EDGY" it was. (Difference being that Doom 2 is a good game, and Shadow is the polar opposite of a good game.)

IIRC killing Keen was entirely Adrian Carmack's idea, on account of how he hated making cartoony graphics for the series. And Tom Hall was already gone by then, so yeah.

So we are going to pretend like the "if its good they will come " mentality that has occupied entertainment...since the birth of entertainment magically ended with shadow the hedgehog?
I couldn't begin to count the number of people I've seen who refuse to try Binding of Isaac or Dust: An Elysian Tail because of aesthetics alone. Presentation matters.

re: Transformers, the films exist almost exclusively because there's a substantial adult audience for the franchise that still eats that stuff up and happily introduces it to the next generation, for which cartoons exist, so it's a win-win for Hasbro even if some of the content isn't exactly kid-friendly. Sonic still exists because it is kid-friendly in a market that's increasingly shy about producing kid-focused content.

Village

no you're just fucking spouting non sense and miss my point entirely

and then go on comparing sonic to transformers

Or you are choosing not to acknowledge the point entirely? That a product with a dumb premise can sell of merit of quality?

Because didnt sonic, a being who can run at the speed of sound release a racing game... where you have to race in a car.

*gasp*

And people bought it

*gasp*

Because it was good, or not the same because shadow didn't say damn while doing a drift.

" oh this game is one of the best kart racers of al..... did shadow sat damn? Worst game ever! 0/7 asses"

Shadow having gatling guns on his vehicle would have made that game complete ass. It would have completely undone the care that sumo put into that product.

IIRC killing Keen was entirely Adrian Carmack's idea, on account of how he hated making cartoony graphics for the series. And Tom Hall was already gone by then, so yeah.

I couldn't begin to count the number of people I've seen who refuse to try Binding of Isaac or Dust: An Elysian Tail because of aesthetics alone. Presentation matters.

re: Transformers, the films exist almost exclusively because there's a substantial adult audience for the franchise that still eats that stuff up and happily introduces it to the next generation, for which cartoons exist, so it's a win-win for Hasbro even if some of the content isn't exactly kid-friendly. Sonic still exists because it is kid-friendly in a market that's increasingly shy about producing kid-focused content.

I am not arguing over presentation, I think shadow could have been presented better. If it was presented more as a DMC fancy animu kinda thing rather than gritty 'murica explosion reboot. It would have gone over a lot better. That and being good. Yes.. that last part is important.

And I have to disagree with you , Because.. hear me out.
Lets say if shadow did well. And It became a seires, Why would sega stop making sonic?

They would just make sonic, and shadow games. Offering two types of exsperinces.

OR in short Wario.

qq more

what in the fucking shit are you going on about

thats not what im trying to fucking say

like at all

jesus fucking christ

Non sequitur, but how much longer is Dust gonna take to show up on Steam? I really wanna give it a go, but don't really want to get it on Xbox when I know this version is on its way.

Village

C'mon, guys.

It might just be best to agree to disagree here since this is going around in circles.

Fine.

I believe even something with the shittiest of premises, if it is advertised and presented properly it will still sell. I think that notion that it cannot is... dumb.

They think that dispute all this , something with shitty premise will still do badly because at its base level it is a bad idea. And It should not be done, and could damage the brand of said product, just as bad as bad product.

We have difference of opinions.

I found a tails chao on my SA2b save file.

This reminds me, I was playing Mario Strikers Charged the other day, I always laugh at how randomly edgy that games art and approach to Mario was, Mario Tennis is like wacky Tennis antics in colourful courts, Strikers has Mega Mole goring Toad into an electric fence in some dank gunk filled stadium.
Yeah that was actually pretty great.

Isaac I can get, but Dust? Really?

Dust threads get plenty of comments about how some people would like to play the game but get turned away by the art style, now if it's just them not digging the style I understand that much, but of course someone inevitably has to go on and act like the designs on display are actually lewd (they're really not) and then they get fear of the furry, oh the humanity!

Dust threads get plenty of comments about how some people would like to play the game but get turned away by the art style, now if it's just them not digging the style I understand that much, but of course someone inevitably has to go on and act like the designs on display are actually lewd (they're really not) and then they get fear of the furry, oh the humanity!

A lot of classic and beloved children's films starred animals even, so does that mean we're all furries?

Tizoc

Then explain this. This is full of guns and swearing sex and violence, the cartoon where this comes from has none of that. This dispute me thinking those movies art, shitty, make alot of money. Why, because people think these movies are of quality, I think the premise of these movies was a bad Idea.

There is going to be a Transformers 4

Premise be damned , If its good no one will care.

Funny you mention Transformers: I was thinking of bringing it up after reading the recent posts.

As someone who has been reading the currenct TF comics recently, let me tell you this: IT IS possible to make a 'kid friendly' series dark (not necessarily edgy as well), but still keep it entertaining.

I'd post some examples from the comic but I fear it would derail the thread/be off topic (not that that's the reason I don't want to post them but rather because) and mainly it'd just be me trying to get more people to read some good (Transformers) comics =P

I've not played Shadow the Hedgehog before, in fact I remember thinking it was a stupid idea when it was announced, and I don't plan on playing it ever, now however the i find the 'idea' of a darker Sonic the Hedgehog-like game has the possibility of working/being done well.

Isaac I can get, but Dust? Really?
It stars furries, and the artist (GAF member Noogy) is a known furry artist. Ergo, it is the most vile filth known to mankind and must be cleansed in fire.

Or I dunno, maybe they just don't like Noogy's style of furries or something. I couldn't tell you; I like the art style, and just the fact we're all in an enthusiast community for a talking blue hedgehog should probably indicate that we can all tolerate furries to some degree.

As someone who has been reading the currenct TF comics recently, let me tell you this: IT IS possible to make a 'kid friendly' series dark (not necessarily edgy as well), but still keep it entertaining.
See: Batman the Animated Series, Gargoyles, etc.

Village

Funny you mention Transformers: I was thinking of bringing it up after reading the recent posts.

I'd post some examples from the comic but I fear it would derail the thread/be off topic (not that that's the reason I don't want to post them but rather because) and mainly it'd just be me trying to get more people to read some good (Transformers) comics =P

I've not played Shadow the Hedgehog before, in fact I remember thinking it was a stupid idea when it was announced, and I don't plan on playing it ever, now however the i find the 'idea' of a darker Sonic the Hedgehog-like game has the possibility of working/being done well.

My Idea was just to do a mario/wario thing, two different exsperinces people go to which one they prefer. I see no real harm, clearly after being in the game that "damaged sega's sonic brand" shadow still has an immense popularity. Offering them a different experiences with a character they like with competence seems like a common sense thing at this point.

Isn't that like the basis of the two largest comic book companies on the planet?

But lets not spark this back up.

A lot of classic and beloved children's films starred animals even, so does that mean we're all furries?

Well see now it depends, did any of these so called "animals" embody any human like traits, you know like standing on their HIND LEGS?! Let's not even start on cross dressing Bugs Bunny.
Bonus points if they have a human like form, instant trip to furryville if they had a chiselled man chest or a ladies bust.

All jokes aside, it's a shame that peoples hate/fear of animal characters these days means that they've been slowly shunted out of use in video games, I mean even starfox is seen to be too much for some people these days, i'm going to thank Sonic for keeping the animal mascot alive as it's been dying elsewhere.

My favorite part about that was how a lot of the people I hung around with at the time seriously thought it was actually a joke because no way would they ever do something that stupid.

I will admit to this, had this mind frame until E3, then yea...it was also pretty stupid to coincide the announcement with Sonic's Game Walk of Fame induction.

qq more

The idea of giving Shadow guns and vehicles and having him swear was the stupidest shit. Sonic is suppose to be a family friendly game, not this bullshit.

You can make Sonic darker and work it out well (see: SATAM) but Shadow The Hedgehog (as in game) is seriously not the way to go.

Village

The idea of giving Shadow guns and vehicles and having him swear was the stupidest shit. Sonic is suppose to be a family friendly game, not this bullshit.

You can make Sonic darker and work it out well (see: SATAM) but Shadow The Hedgehog (as in game) is seriously not the way to go.

But, did everything but the swear part in the games and comics already.

So is it the word damn that upsets you. Not the people using guns in the sonic comics, the sexual references in those comics. Or the Tail's plane with machine guns.... which is a thing in real life.

And in sonic x they made the plane look like a even more like a military plane, almost everything you complain about has been done.

didn't they burn someone to death in sonic adventure 1, and... shoot gun bullets at shadow and sonic in sonic adventure 2?

Or is just shadow that upsets you.

Can only tails own a vehicle and use guns on that vehicle. Is that the line we do not cross only the 8 year old gets to use the guns and the vehicles.

Normally I'd insult someone who is actually trying to defend "Shadow the Hedgehog" because it's an objectively terrible game with little to no redeeming factors. But I like seeing Village struggle to fight a losing battle, so I'm gonna go make a sandwich and hope for the best.

So is it the word damn that upsets you. Not the people using guns in the sonic comics, the sexual references in those comics. Or the Tail's plane with machine guns.... which is a thing in real life.

And in sonic x they made the plane look like a even more like a military plane,
Stop changing the subject. He specifically mentions the games, not the other forms of media.

qq more

And in sonic x they made the plane look like a even more like a military plane, almost everything you complain about has been done.

didn't they burn someone to death in sonic adventure 1, and... shoot gun bullets at shadow and sonic in sonic adventure 2?

Or is just shadow that upsets you.

Why the fuck are you changing the subject? We're talking about how try hard the gritty/edgyness of the game was and how it damaged the brand. Stop that, it's getting really fucking annoying.

Village

Normally I'd insult someone who is actually trying to defend "Shadow the Hedgehog" because it's an objectively terrible game with little to no redeeming factors. But I like seeing Village struggle to fight a losing battle, so I'm gonna go make a sandwich and hope for the best.

Stop changing the subject. He specifically mentions the games, not the other forms of media.

Why the fuck are you changing the subject? We're talking about how try hard the gritty/edgyness of the game was and how it damaged the brand. Stop that, it's getting really fucking annoying.

Also the tails machine gun thing... which has been a thing since adventure 1 still applies...

Look at mah edits.

it and Sonic 06 went for the wrong kind of "darker" that either wound up either being a poor emo story or so laughable it couldn't be taken seriously at all. In Shadow's case, it went for the adolescent idea that some kids get that Guns/Blood/Cursing=dark=cool, despite the game's poor execution of that, it is a terrible idea to try and implement in general.

Shooting for more gravitas is a better idea however.

Also the tails machine gun thing... which has been a thing since adventure 1 still applies...

Look at mah edits.

The problem with this argument is that the machine gun on Tails' plane was NOT used as a way to make the Sonic series seem gritty and dark. It was something that was used in a minigame to defend yourself from incoming missiles.

Try again.

Village

it and Sonic 06 went for the wrong kind of "darker" that either wound up either being a poor emo story or so laughable it couldn't be taken series at all. In Shadow's case, it went for the adolescent idea that some kids get that Guns/Blood/Cursing=dark=cool, despite the game's poor execution of that, it is a terrible idea to try and implement in general.
We can argue that for sonic .. but that is just not true

The problem with this argument is that the machine gun on Tails' plane was NOT used as a way to make the Sonic series seem gritty and dark. It was something that was used in a minigame to defend yourself from incoming missiles.

Try again.

That is what was said. I am arguing that all those things , accept for the swearing were already key parts of sonic.

So.. sir or madem.. you try again?

qq more

Look at mah edits.

No one was burned to death in SA1, at least not on screen. It was tame, genius. Also tails with his "machine gun" (are you referring to the Tornado mech in SA2?) wasn't edgy or gritty, not even close.

This alone proves you're desperately digging at the bottom of the barrel and have absolutely no idea what you're doing. None of what has happened in SA1/SA2 came across as offensive to parents with children.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I come back from only having two hours of sleep last night, having to babysit and monitor medication/feeds in the morning while studying, doing three-hour exam in two hours...

...and this is what I come back to? I've had a long day and I'm not willing to read through pages of nonsense.

If your argument's just going around in circles and neither of you are understanding each other, it's good to agree to disagree like Seven Force said. We don't usually argue like this at all because we don't come to the community thread to argue. We come to the community thread to have a good time. If you want to argue, make a thread and do it on gaming side.

Village, just drop it. Now.

Village

No one was burned to death in SA1, at least not on screen. It was tame, genius. Also tails with his "machine gun" (are you referring to the Tornado mech in SA2?) wasn't edgy or gritty, not even close.

This alone proves you're desperately digging at the bottom of the barrel and have absolutely no idea what you're doing. None of what has happened in SA1/SA2 came across as offensive to parents with children.

The point I was trying to make that is guns and vehicles and cannon murder, were all things relevant to the sonic series before shadow. And just shadow was advertised darker doesn't make it any different. And the argument you seems to have forgotten that you have made is that...

Which was something sonic already did , that is my argument. That that isn't new at all, that it was just packaged differently. Which We agree on. So I ask why are we even talking or do you just not like shadow the hedgehog.

Just saw the request to drop it.

qq more

LOL Ahahahahaha

Alright moving on.

Not sure if I've told anyone here but apparently After The Sequel got delayed because the soundtrack is not done yet. Hopefully it'll release this month.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You told me. I'm glad they're going to wait until the soundtrack's completed. I'm itching to listen to that.

Also...

dsc00556e4ece.jpg

Shoot, I'm glad Mega Man's on the cover of a Sonic comic. :O

qq more

Trying to distance yourself from those series? I know that you, deep down, cry like a baby cuz there isn't a new game for those titles coming out anytime soon. Cutting yourself from those fanbases ain't gonna work.

Besides it's not like a new game in those series would be anything revolutionary for its series or gaming in general.
People just want new Mega Man games you know? They don't need to be anything special, just as long as they're great fun games.

Tizoc

^...and I don't mind if more are made, but what if they end up being just another Megaman game?

I miss megman....

There's like...10+ Megaman games and like 10-ish X games, should keep feed that whatever Megaman craving you've got

Village

^...and I don't mind if more are made, but what if they end up being just another Megaman game?

There's like...10+ Megaman games and like 10-ish X games, should keep feed that whatever Megaman craving you've got

I want a new megaman game, or just legends 3 and/or that mmo.

Their are other series that demand more of my desire.... Like what capcom plans to do with all those series.... like onimusha.... and.. dmc.... and bionic commando... and alot....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trying to distance yourself from those series? I know that you, deep down, cry like a baby cuz there isn't a new game for those titles coming out anytime soon. Cutting yourself from those fanbases ain't gonna work.
I got a new Suikoden game last year (that didn't live up to expectations as I'd detailed in the thread for it), but no, I'm not distancing myself from any of those series or fanbases because I was mostly talking about myself. I replayed a few Onimusha games, I replay GS1 and GS2 almost every year, and I recently played Breath of Fire 4 for the first time when it was put up on PSN. I'd love to replay Shenmue sometime as well.

I'm currently running through as many Mega Man games I can and have been doing so for the past two months now.

Besides it's not like a new game in those series would be anything revolutionary for its series or gaming in general.
I don't think I'm looking for revolution. I just want a new game starring some of my favourite people, carrying on series' canon, or just including some of the themes that are in almost every game in that series.

I'm looking for something familiar, and I haven't felt that way about some games in a while because people are just looking to reboot concepts or looking to do things dramatically different when all I'm really looking for is something that makes me feel like I'm coming home to it for the first time in a long time. Because it's been a long time.

Heck Capcom could announce a new Megaman game for PSN, XBL, iOS, etc.
We've been down this road before, and the only good thing about it is a song.

I mean heck you don't see me whinin' or making any comments about SNK not making a new Garou/Fatal Fury game.
WILL YOU PUT GAROU ON STEAM AND PSN ALREADY DAMNIT!
SNK would manage to screw up the netcode somehow. :V

Tizoc

I've beaten nearly all of the games

I want new Mega Man games

Well Megaman 9 was released like what 10-ish years after Rockman and Forte on SNES? We'll get a new 8-bit Megaman gamee in 2020 =V

I don't think I'm looking for revolution. I just want a new game starring some of my favourite people, carrying on series' canon, or just including some of the themes that are in almost every game in that series.

I'm looking for something familiar, and I haven't felt that way about some games in a while because people are just looking to reboot concepts or looking to do things dramatically different when all I'm really looking for is something that makes me feel like I'm coming home to it for the first time in a long time. Because it's been a long time.
Well if 3 years is a long time I don't know what I'd call waiting for a new Fatal Fury/Garou game lol
TBH my idea of a new Megaman game is something similar to that canceled LBP-like Megaman game.

We've been down this road before, and the only good thing about it is a song.
K see here's a few things
1- You jumped straight at iOS, ignoring what I wrote first: PSN and XBL. What I meant was a game that would be playable on those services (and PC as well) and that ver. would be on iOS as well (iPads if not iPhones). Then again I should've posted it as & instead of a coma
2- You gotta think broader than that, chico. It doesn't have to be an Auto-Runner game, though if someone manages to make an auto-runner Megaman game as awesome as Bit.Trip Runner2 I'd give them 2 Mega Thumbs up.
I'm sad tos ay that the only iOS Megaman game I could think would work is a turn based game.
Now imagine your fav. battle systems from a jRPG and have the Dr. Light bots as the playable characters.

SNK would manage to screw up the netcode somehow. :V
SNK only care about Japan, and if the net is good for Japan that's all that matters to them @_@
Use GGPO, SNK

qq more

Well Megaman 9 was released like what 10-ish years after Rockman and Forte on SNES? We'll get a new 8-bit Megaman gamee in 2020 =V

I'm not asking just for a new Classic game, I'm asking for just any Mega Man game. As long as it isn't crap or iOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom