• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmiT

Sonics Dimensions.
iCSwEJV.png

ShadiWulf

has the new wentos rumor been posted in here yet?

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=2244.msg53963#msg53963

go check it out. He was right in the past before, right? i mean.. i dunno what to think anymore, there is so many rumors, but this sounds like something Iizuka would do.

some key quotes

The first level is called "Shattered Heights" and is similar to the Sonic Generations incarnation of Speed Highway. Very New York themed. We were told the level was five minutes long, but they spent about fifteen minutes showing us parts of the stage's design, focusing on the lighting and shadows and how lighting was one of the main focuses for this game's design. Shattered Heights, for example, started at dawn and by the level's end the entire stage's lighting had changed to more reflect the mid afternoon. Most of the level consists of Sonic and Tails actually breaking through the windows of buildings several stories high and running through apartment hallways, office buildings, and hotel suites with Pixar-like humans gasping and shouting in surprise.

Sonic and Tails communicate throughout the level with each other similarly to the conversations in Sonic Heroes, both commenting on their surroundings and giving you advice on how to play the game. They would often stop at areas in the level to tell us how if we were playing as Tails instead of Sonic, we would be able to fly and reach different paths that Sonic could not access, but most alternate paths were entirely optional and not forced like they were in Sonic Adventure or Sonic The Hedgehog for the Xbox 360. They really wanted to make a Sonic Generations title that played more similarly to the Genesis titles where different characters could play the same levels with the only difference being their personal abilities.

After the first level was completed by reaching a goal ring located on top of a large and beautiful fountain in the middle of a park (Sonic and Tails were automatically flung at it from the last building, similarly to the goal ring at the end of City Escape), there was a cut scene that introduced Dr. Eggman and Knuckles. Dr. Eggman was piloting some gigantic drill vehicle that drove itself out of the ground with Knuckles jumping out of the crater shortly behind it. The two of them squabble while Sonic and Tails watch, looking annoyed/bored by the two of them until Knuckles notices them and yells at them to help, bringing attention to a ridiculously heavy looking golden necklace Dr. Eggman is holding. Alerted to their presence, Dr. Eggman ejects his Egg-O-Matic from the drill vehicle and flies away, leaving Knuckles to explain the game's story so far to Sonic and Tails. Sonic offers to let Knuckles join him and Tails, but he declines and runs off, saying he'll leave Dr. Eggman to them as he needs to "go back and check something."

At the end of the level, Knuckles comes across an underground temple, which is where he discovers murals about the necklace we saw Dr. Eggman with earlier in Sonic and Tails' story, shortly before Dr. Eggman himself strolls into the place, unaware of Knuckles being there. Knuckles follows him until Dr. Eggman finds the necklace and takes it, when Knuckles exposes himself by clumsily causes a brick he's leaning against to fall and make his presence known. Dr. Eggman tries to convince him to let him pass, but Knuckles tells him that he's no longer falling for his tricks and he isn't going anywhere. Dr. Eggman distracts Knuckles by looking aside and saying, "Sonic? You're here too?" and then runs past, able to climb aboard his giant drill vehicle just before Knuckles catches up.

After this demonstration was complete, we watched a powerpoint presentation with screenshots from the game. We were told how the story would focus on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, and Dr. Eggman with a couple of appearances throughout the game, but those appearances would have less importance to the plot than Amy Rose's role in Sonic Unleashed. For example, Amy Rose's story once you unlocked it would begin at Cream's house, where we see Cream, Vanilla, Gemerl, two Chao, and some Flickies. Outside of that scene, none of those characters make an appearance outside of one more scene with Cream in it. Emblems will be making a return, and will be earned in various ways with ten emblems per level. They can be earned for completing levels with each character, getting an S rank with all four characters, collecting all red rings with any character, and completing side missions for the level.

Release date: November 2013

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, 3DS, PlayStation 4, and Xbox Infinite.
"All seven versions will be the same, except the PC, PS4, and XI versions will have higher resolutions and the 3DS version will be made by a different team. Do not worry, it is not going to be Dimps. Sega has ended their relationship with them."

Sounds like iizuka-san to me

heavy story - check
multiple characters - check
environments that look like cities - check
cheesy rock music by ted poley - check

All in all, it sounds like fun to me, go check out the full text if all you did was read my quotes. I wouldn't mind if this was real.

I'd love it if it were true. The story seems a little trite, but otherwise it comes across as them building on what worked with Generations, and trying their hand at diverging paths again, Sonic 3&K-style. If done right, that could pay off big time. If done wrong... well, Sonic Heroes. Or 2K6.

Xbox Infinite? Well, a better name than "720".

Tizoc

I only skimmed it but apparently Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy are playable?
Cuz that'd be enough really =P
I always envisioned Knuckles' mode would be exploration+brawling...oh man imagine if he fought similar to Kiryu from Yakuza minus kicking X3

qq more

The biggest part of the rumor is that Dimps is done with Sonic.

Please be true. I want quality 2D Sonic games, they almost always halfass those.

Tizoc

Excursion sounds like a 'work in progress' title too BTW.
I don't think it's a word that would appeal to kids, BUT i wouldn't be surprised if ends up being titled as 'Sonic Adventure' upon release.

TheOGB

Banned
Saw the working title was "Sonic Excursion" and almost stopped reading

then I figured "why the hell not?" and continued. Glad I did. :p

TheOGB

Banned
Only reason I'm giving it any credence is because Wentos. I think this guy also predicted Unleashed? Maybe it was Sonic 4.
Yeah, he's been around since at least Unleashed (as his name implies :p). Most of his stuff is accurate, and some of the stuff he leaked chaged before release, I believe (I seem to recall that being the case with something from Unleashed, but take that with a spoonful of salt).

But holy shit Gemerl and no Dimps megaton

Yo, we Sonic up in this piece again!

EDIT: HOLD UP, this is from a guy named Wintos. Uses the same tripcode as one of Wentos' Generations leaks from 2011, but proceed with caution.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always envisioned Knuckles' mode would be exploration+brawling...oh man imagine if he fought similar to Kiryu from Yakuza minus kicking X3
Effing. Need.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here, since he's been right before. Whatever; I've been waiting for a new Sonic game for a long time. I'm ready for some good info.

----

Also: My 2 in April were: HarmoKnight and Dragon Fantasy Book I (and Thomas Was Alone, which I thought was a neat little puzzle-platformer).

I guess I'll have to think about my 3 in May. Probably Guacamelee, something, and something else. I'm not sure yet. Maybe ASRT, I dunno.

Village

I image they are doing possibly 2 things

If thing number, in my happiness, as a shadow fan

ahem

KEEP HIM OUT OF THIS EFFING GAME.

If thing number 2

Aww...

Tizoc

They can toss in Shadow and just have you playing Sonic's stages as him. I'll skip whatever story cutscenes pop up.

Village

They can toss in Shadow and just have you playing Sonic's stages as him. I'll skip whatever story cutscenes pop up.

Yeah , I rather they just keep him out if that is case. The cool thing about the previous 3d sonic games is that different characters had different stages, if they are going to be lazy just keep the person out. I am sure I am not the only one who was pissed that shadow's stages in sonic 06 were just sonic's backwards.

My odd fan loyalty to shadow does not outweigh my loyalty to interesting game design.

Tizoc

^Fair enough, my idea of having a Sonic game with Shadow in it is to just have them playing the same stage but a different story prespective.
...now if only I can get the idea of having Shadow's stage work as rail shooters or Rail shooters+platforming right...

Village

^Fair enough, my idea of having a Sonic game with Shadow in it is to just have them playing the same stage but a different story prespective.
...now if only I can get the idea of having Shadow's stage work as rail shooters or Rail shooters+platforming right...

I would just have shadow have combat sections. His the combat he uses is so DMC it hurts.

OR

Running levels with time puzzles, and gravity puzzles activated my chaos control.

But that is just me.

it appears to be the same guy who posted this

1367358441204.jpg

i'd say this is the most legit rumor we've seen so far.

Appears to be in what way, though? How can we verify this? I know my boss Tristan puts a lot of stock in Wentos as well, but I feel like he's missed more than he's hit, and that's in part because I think that even if there was a legit guy under that name at one point, it seems like it would be super easy to just strike up an email convo with somebody and say, "I am THAT Wentos, give me attention for my stupid obviously fake bullshit."

More specifically, the name "Sonic Excursion" does not sound like something I would expect Sega to go for. It's a bit of a $5 word and does not exactly roll off the tongue. Frankly, it sounds a bit like a fangame or something. "I'll be clever and call it Sonic Excursion because it's like Sonic Adventure but not." That kind of thing.

Similarly, calling out the console's name as "Xbox Infinite" comes off as something a hoaxer would do, given that there were reports months ago that the infinity symbol logo that was going around actually corresponded to the name "Xbox Loop".

Descriptions of the lighting engine ring too close to the initial demonstration of Sonic 2006 for me to put too much stock in this being real, too. And about the time it gets in to descriptions of Amy Rose's story, everything becomes too referential to things only fans would think is cool or interesting (Gemerl? Really? Geddafuck outta here. Why not add Fang and Mighty while we're at it)

Yeah , I rather they just keep him out if that is case. The cool thing about the previous 3d sonic games is that different characters had different stages, if they are going to be lazy just keep the person out. I am sure I am not the only one who was pissed that shadow's stages in sonic 06 were just sonic's backwards.

My odd fan loyalty to shadow does not outweigh my loyalty to interesting game design.

You must have really hated Sonic Heroes.

'Cause seriously, fuck that game.

ShadiWulf

I don't know anything about 4chan so this whole tripcode thing has be confused, but im understanding its like an indentity of some sort

ugh, I just wish SEGA would announce the game already, but I get the feeling they are waiting for XBOX next to be announced first. So 3 more weeks of crazyness and more rumors probably.

-chan boards typically have anonymous posting. Nobody knows who you are. Hence the whole "Anonymous" thing.

If you want, you can give yourself a nickname when posting, so people can at least recognize you. I believe the means of securing that nickname so others can't so easily use yours without you realizing it and tarnishing your reputation is that tripcode business, but I never cared enough for any -chan to figure it out.

ShadiWulf

i knew it was anonymous posting, but i didn't understand the whole tripcode thing

anyways, if the next sonic game is announced during the XBOX next conference that will make up for all the teasing and trolling SEGA has done to us. xD

To be fair, the trolling was entirely done on part of anonymous in that instance.

Kind of a shame, because that game actually sounded pretty good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shame. Just announce a darn console game already... that's not a Sonic 4 Episode.

anyways, if the next sonic game is announced during the XBOX next conference that will make up for all the teasing and trolling SEGA has done to us. xD
You can colour me surprised if that happens. I just expect a trailer at Sega's booth.

i knew it was anonymous posting, but i didn't understand the whole tripcode thing

What was the last Xbox exclusive Sega made? I'd highly doubt that of all developers Microsoft would choose Sega to announce anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can't forgive them screwing up a good battle system idea in Tales of the Tempest (it was supposed to be a 3D version of Rebirth's (like, one of my top three favourite systems in that series), and they still found some way to eff it up).

What happened, Dimps? Sonic Advance was neat. And I'm in the group that says Rush Adventure had better level design than Rush. I dunno! They're so hit-and-miss now. Edit: Looking at some of the Advance maps, and Dimps's level design started doing that thing where they started using more pits and encouraging downwards movement to a goal post, rather than playing with different altitudes for it.

shouldn't have picked this up even though it was $15 what was wrong with me. 魂を呼び覚ますRPG? Hah, don't make me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom