• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it's the reveal of Sonic Expedition for sure, I hear you can play as all of Sonic's friends across new zones like Mint Hill Zone, Confusing Complex Zone and Dusk Dice Zone.
My source is totally legit unlike the other 10 Sonic rumours heard in the past year.

No but I expect an underwhelming reveal on the account that almost every bigged up magazine announcement ends up being something that's just not that interesting if memory serves. Assuming it is actually a reveal and not just lots of info on a game we already know about.

Classic: 2/3/9 it ought to be illegal to force someone to choose
X: X1 is the best game in not only its subseries but the entire franchise by such a wide margin that it isn't even funny. X5 was a nice finale, thank goodness they had the sense to leave it there
Zero: haven't really played 3 or 4 enough to judge
ZX: Advent
Legends: lolno
BN: 2
SF: BN2
Misc: Mega Man Soccer

...there's other Mega Man series?

news_pic_1345119327238.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Congratulations to qq more for a job well-done. Now let's never do such a thing ever again.

I marathoned through Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, and Mega Man 4 yesterday. Um. Hm. I think Mega Man 4's pretty neat. This is my second time playing through Mega Man 4 in about a month I guess, and I think it's gotten a lot better in my eyes. I'm not sure what my favourite classic MM is now. 2's still near and dear to my heart, but 3 and 4 are just better games because Mega Man's more flexible to work with. And unlike qq, I like the charge shot addition. Not sure which of the two I like more. Need to replay 3 again.

Anyway. We're back to running through Sonic CD in an attempt to 100% that one. Let's do thissssss. I have to beat the game twice, but that's okay. I think the way they did those trophies is asinine, but whatever.

GkARYNo.png

Metal Sonic holograms are asinine because they serve little purpose outside of being a completionist thing... and saving the animals or something like in Super Metroid. I dunno.

I love Xover.

The flash version, it's a good parody.
It made me die inside.

Quackula

Charge shot sucks in classic MM because it basically cuts off two of the audio channels just so it can go WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOWPOOWPOOWP

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now that's what I call a cake, even though just looking at it makes me feel like I'm gaining weight. And hey! I have that figure. Well, the large version of it. I remember taking pics of it prior to Generations' release when it was still in the box!

I'll get Modern Sonic out of the car tomorrow maybe since I'm getting some work done (and had groceries and stuff to bring in), but for now... here's Classic Sonic still in the package:

TjYXU.jpg

Holy crap, that was a long time ago. Looking through that thread is like a different, happier time because everyone legitimately liked playing through Generations.

Except for me because I was busy hating video games as usual:

Exactly why I thought the narrative was going to be more substantial (no, that's probably not the best word, but I thought we'd get more character interaction and poking fun at Sonic's less-than-stellar moments throughout the series). Here the narrative just seemed like an afterthought or even rushed with a lot of obvious things being pointed out to the player or doesn't do anything good with the time travel concept (which they probably could have taken their time and ran with).

In a way, I guess you could say that might have been a good thing, with level design and gameplay mechanics being the primary focus and the narrative being a secondary focus. But in effect, that makes the game a bit of a less cohesive product. There is a very thin layer of glue holding the entire package together, but it doesn't seem like it's enough. The lack of cohesion isn't just limited to the narrative, but the narrative sure does play a large role in making it feel that way.

Colours struck a pretty good balance of dialogue/narrative vs gameplay, a fantastic soundtrack, and good tongue-in-cheek dialogue (even if it seemed a bit cheesy for some, it was miles better than what we got in other Sonic games). I liked Colours' narrative and script, hence my disappointment with Generations' story. When they said the Colours writers were going to be used, I was perfectly fine with it because I liked their work before. The Colours plot made sense, the dialogue was funny, the extras were kind of witty, and the game was wrapped up in a neat little package at the end. Colours also had a better balance of meaningful behind-the-back sections vs platforming sections, imo.

Like I said in other threads, Colours just has better cohesion and was put together better than Generations. It felt complete. That doesn't mean Generations is bad, though. Outside of the game's ending bits, I thought it was a great anniversary game. It has a lot of good Modern stage design with a ton of pathways in the behind-the-back perspective. I liked how the modern mechanics were utilized (and I agree with the other guys; the lightspeed dash felt shoehorned in the game for old times' sake). It's clear, though, that this game served mostly as a game for Sonic fans. The amount of fanservice throughout the level design, the music selection and remixes was incredible. I enjoyed it a lot despite thinking that it could have been handled a lot better in a few areas.
Ahhh, my opinion isn't going to change, I think. I still think Colours is the more cohesive game despite loving to speed through Generations every once in a while.

Man, I feel bad. Someone wants to have a race to the platinum for Deadly Premonition with me, but since they're at 51% I can't possibly catch up, I've been marathoning through Mega Man games, and I'm busy chasing 100%s elsewhere like in Sonic CD and Guacamelee. Hm... what to do...

I guess I could do one trophy in Sonic CD (the time stones one) today, leave Guacamelee for before bed / on Vita (which I don't really want to do right now because for some things I need the DS3's L1/L2/R1/R2), and play DP during the day. That could work.

Schala, look deep into your heart. You know that your love for MM4 is true!

:)
We'll see after I play through MM3 later or tomorrow. I need to compare them!

Charge shot sucks in classic MM because it basically cuts off two of the audio channels just so it can go WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOWPOOWPOOWP
I'll be honest, I hate the Charge Shot sound in classic MM a lot for the same reason.

qq more

Congratulations to qq more for a job well-done. Now let's never do such a thing ever again.
Thank you. I won't ever do it again, at least not for a long time. ...Maybe when I'm desperate to work hard on my game again.

Also, I still think the charge shot cheapened the gameplay. Slide on the other hand...

I'm still surprised you didn't make tiggerkiddo agree to a losing condition on his end, though.

I still say he should have an avatar change. Like, I dunno,
ilostx8uwi.png

or something.

A bet is not a bet if you don't have losing stipulations for both sides. Considering this, if qq more had lost, he really should've had no reason to honor your avatar replacement request.

Well, considering that, and your blatant attempts to stop him from proceeding by getting him hooked on PSO2. No need to hide it, we could all see it.

qq more

I wish PSO2's maintenance didn't take so many hours.

There also seems to be some Sonic event coming soon next month. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom