• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still want Watch_Dogs. I'm interested in the premise. I want to know who's composing the soundtrack (my fingers are crossed for Jesper Kyd since I really missed his stuff in AC3).

Yup! I know how that kinda feels, since there was a period where I just played the big hitters or games from series that I was familiar with. Getting used to playing almost every RPG I come across was something I had to get used to again.

See, what I do is I put a pile of games on my desk to clear out. If I see that pile gettin' any higher, I force myself to get through it all so I can clear it out. If I don't clear everything out, I adjust my budget and buying habits accordingly. Funny thing is that I get through portable games quick and easy, so those aren't usually a problem. I was just exercising on the exercise bike downstairs since it's pouring here and I brought my Vita along for the ride to multitask. I like handhelds a lot because of the convenience.

Like, this is my console pile now. It's higher than normal because I have the month off + some of them are games I've started and dropped.

http://abload.de/img/dsc0056604ufe.jpg[img]

And yeah, the RPGs take a while, but that's because for some dumb reason, I become intent on getting the plats for those.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I don't think the treadmill in my house would work quite as well for handhelds as an exercise bike. Though I get through portable games faster anyway, sleep feature as well as the pick up and play style is always a boon.
The fabled game pile is a tried and tested formula, i've got mine though it's also the pile of recently played games that can't find shelf space, in fact they constitute most of this pile.

[quote="Shadow Hog, post: 57346720"]It's things like this that make me react to "this game is too short!" with "GOOD!"[/QUOTE]
Absolutely, short and sweet is the way for me, as a platforming fan i've been raised with that belief anyway.
Though there's the one issue I get from this, if I know a game is short I like to try and spread it out, limiting my playtime with it per day because if I spent £30 or more on a game and blow through it in one or two days then something just doesn't feel right even if the playtime when finished remains the same spread across like 4 or 5 days, it's an odd quirk.
This gets tricky when I get my hands on a platformer that i'm really enjoying.

Maybe I should turn the fate of my next game over to you Sonic Gaffers.

Village

I have been playing the megaman x games for years.
Not once did i know there is a shoryuken in X2 , I am ashamed of myself.

I feel like a bad Hitman fan for liking Absolution.

umXDVyh.jpg

No time for chucklin' when everyone and their mom wants to get their grubby hands on your crown jewel.

Time for some fisticuffs and pow pow action!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aha, I was hoping that someone'd link that, Seven Force. Good show.

I finished Guacamelee's main game yesterday, but I've got two orbs to find. In the two harder platforming sections, but I can do this. I just have two trophies to get: 100% treasures, and the one hidden trophy. That'd be plat #15 for me if I pull it off.

I think I'm gonna throw Vesperia PS3 on my pile because it's one of the few Tales games I haven't replayed. Not thinking of getting the plat for it because the 低レベルチャレンジャー trophy (the low-level run so using whatever Vesperia's equivalent for EXP0.5 is in the grade shop would be the best route + using holy bottles), スノーボーダー (the Repede Snowboarder minigame trophy, which I don't recall being good at), and the レベル200達成キャラ trophy will test my patience a bit. I'm thankful that Tales games have moved beyond having the player use Magic Lens on enemies (you don't in Graces, Xillia & Xillia 2, for example) because that was dumb in previous games anyway. It's a waste of an item. Er. Though I should play Innocence R one of these days, since I have it.

Unfortunately I don't think the treadmill in my house would work quite as well for handhelds as an exercise bike. Though I get through portable games faster anyway, sleep feature as well as the pick up and play style is always a boon.
The fabled game pile is a tried and tested formula, i've got mine though it's also the pile of recently played games that can't find shelf space, in fact they constitute most of this pile.

Maybe I should turn the fate of my next game over to you Sonic Gaffers.
Oh, yeah, totally. When I'm on the treadmill, I actually take the opportunity to catch up on some game soundtracks I'd fallen behind on (whether with my Walkman or with my laptop on in the background). I honestly like going on the treadmill more because running's fun, but my legs could use the bike at the moment. Think I might do more of that tomorrow. Start Soul Hackers while I'm at it. Or finish Sticker Star. I dunno.

And why the heck not! Tell us what you've got backlogged.

I don't want to start Dragon Fantasy until I finish Dragon Quarter (Which I'm really starting to get into now; It's criminal that a game this well crafted was the one that killed the series) because knowing me, if I play two RPGs at the same time, neither of them are getting finished.
I'm glad you're enjoying Dragon Quarter. It's one of my favourite BoF games, and I think it might have been a little before its time, or overshadowed by other games in other series so much so that people didn't really think to play it or give it a fair shot.

As for Dragon Fantasy Book I, it needs work, like I wrote a few pages back. Pacing and rebalancing. I'd like to see what you think of it in the end. I'm too critical sometimes.

Dereck

Do you guys know which composer made each individual track on the Sonic Advance 3 soundtrack so I can use their names individually instead of tagging the artist as "Wave Master Studios"?

Ferr986

Do you guys know which composer made each individual track on the Sonic Advance 3 soundtrack so I can use their names individually instead of tagging the artist as "Wave Master Studios"?

I dont think we really know for sure, because that OST didnt get an official release.

There's some credits on Sega Retro that i dont know if they're guesses or true, and there'still left some songs uncredited.

Kokonoe

Banned
I feel so bad. I legitimately got hyped up about the mounts and now it seems they are trapped to a city or something. That, and it seems for only Gogoat.

I'm glad you're enjoying Dragon Quarter. It's one of my favourite BoF games, and I think it might have been a little before its time, or overshadowed by other games in other series so much so that people didn't really think to play it or give it a fair shot.

As for Dragon Fantasy Book I, it needs work, like I wrote a few pages back. Pacing and rebalancing. I'd like to see what you think of it in the end. I'm too critical sometimes.

When I first attempted to start DQ back when it first released, my initial impressions were "what the hell, this isn't Breath of Fire" yet... I still kind of appreciated all of the mechanics employed in the game. I've only recently begun to finally wrap my head around them (after a ton of restarts...), but I can kind of understand why it turned so many people off from the series. It throws away almost all of the series' usual conventions, and use of the main hook (Dragon transformations) is actively discouraged. Still though, I always find it funny that one of the most consistent complaints leveraged at the first four games was that they're a bit too by the book as far as JRPGs are concerned, yet Dragon Quarter does it's damndest to try something new and gets shunned for it. III's still my favorite game in the series, but DQ is a pretty damn interesting experiment in the genre as a whole. I can't say that for any other game in the series.

How bad is Dragon Fantasy's pacing?

Oh, yeah, totally. When I'm on the treadmill, I actually take the opportunity to catch up on some game soundtracks I'd fallen behind on (whether with my Walkman or with my laptop on in the background). I honestly like going on the treadmill more because running's fun, but my legs could use the bike at the moment. Think I might do more of that tomorrow. Start Soul Hackers while I'm at it. Or finish Sticker Star. I dunno.
Going by your phrasing up there, Do you check up on recent soundtracks from games you haven't played? I find it hard to truly click with a soundtrack without the context offered alongside the game itself, of course I can still enjoy and appreciate the music but it just doesn't come as easy.

And why the heck not! Tell us what you've got backlogged.

Yesterday it felt like my brain just sort of up and left for the evening leaving me with an inability to feel fun, I don't think I could've played a game if I tried, I couldn't even do other stuff like draw. I may retract this task for the time being, the lights are on but no one's home.

Just go a few days without critiquing anything...can you do it??

As of right now i'm finding it hard to not critique any game I finish in some way, I got 96 exits out of SMW again the other day and my mind was all like "I could critique the hell out of a few elements in this game, but I also love it"
I've become some kind of monster who must even critique that which I hold dear, so that I can imagine improvements.

I know it's easier said than done but just don't listen to that nagging voice in your head and just narrow you focus on what you truly enjoyed about the game, it would probably outweigh the negatives I imagine.

BHZ Mayor

Going by your phrasing up there, Do you check up on recent soundtracks from games you haven't played? I find it hard to truly click with a soundtrack without the context offered alongside the game itself, of course I can still enjoy and appreciate the music but it just doesn't come as easy.

Yesterday it felt like my brain just sort of up and left for the evening leaving me with an inability to feel fun, I don't think I could've played a game if I tried, I couldn't even do other stuff like draw. I may retract this task for the time being, the lights are on but no one's home.

As of right now i'm finding it hard to not critique any game I finish in some way, I got 96 exits out of SMW again the other day and my mind was all like "I could critique the hell out of a few elements in this game, but I also love it"
I've become some kind of monster who must even critique that which I hold dear, so that I can imagine improvements.

You've been on the internet too long.

I've never had the patience to write detailed critiques about the games I play.

Even when I rant it's usually only three paragraphs long.

(._. )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Phew. Finished sorting through my DS games because I'm making a spreadsheet with the games I have.

I still have to go through the 3DS stuff, but I'm happy with how the shelf looks right now. (I have a ton of games stashed at the back of those games you see there; the shelf's pretty deep which is why I bought it in the first place.)

S9LYk27.jpg

qq more saw the mess that it was beforehand when I had the piles of them around here.

Yup! I listen to most of the soundtracks that come out within the year for SotY, so that means I listen to stuff from games I haven't played before. And I get that it's not for everyone. It's just become the equivalent of regular music for me, I guess.

And lol, maybe you just need a break in general, Nocturnowl. I have those days too. In fact, yesterday was kinda like that. My brain wasn't functioning as a result of extreme fatigue.

Just go a few days without critiquing anything...can you do it??
Can't be done. Sorry. >_<

When I first attempted to start DQ back when it first released, my initial impressions were "what the hell, this isn't Breath of Fire" yet... I still kind of appreciated all of the mechanics employed in the game. I've only recently begun to finally wrap my head around them (after a ton of restarts...), but I can kind of understand why it turned so many people off from the series. It throws away almost all of the series' usual conventions, and use of the main hook (Dragon transformations) is actively discouraged. Still though, I always find it funny that one of the most consistent complaints leveraged at the first four games was that they're a bit too by the book as far as JRPGs are concerned, yet Dragon Quarter does it's damndest to try something new and gets shunned for it. III's still my favorite game in the series, but DQ is a pretty damn interesting experiment in the genre as a whole. I can't say that for any other game in the series.

How bad is Dragon Fantasy's pacing?
Well, the pacing seems to be rather dependent on you, but to me, the game truly felt like the battles weren't paced very well because of the unbalanced nature of the stats. This, in turn, made the story feel like it had poor pacing because you spent so much time in battle or the dungeons weren't very remarkable. In the end, the first portion of the game (the larger Ogden's Story) felt like it overstayed its welcome. The other three sections of the game (the one with the prince, the one with the monster capturing, and the one with the thieves) had the perfect length and never felt like it overstayed their welcome. It's just that first story that just tested my patience a lot because of its poor structure.

Yeah that's exactly why people don't really like DQ that much, but nonetheless, I found it to be a very solid game. I'm shocked that I found it for like $5 in a bargain bin on Boxing Day (the same thing happened with Valkyrie Profile 2). I hope you enjoy it by the end. It truly does seem to be an acquired taste for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom