• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

What's there to say that isn't already mentioned in the link? Sega is getting involved, and the writer doesn't even know what that means yet.

Mostly that Ken's got another thing coming if he thinks he's going to get away with publishing his own echidna book.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This streaming thing is kinda hard. I dunno how you guys do it, though I find that Alt+tabbing helps out a lot. Realized that the controller I'm currently using has a D-pad that doesn't sit very well with me and nearly (and did) cost me a life in a game that I normally no-death. Considering switching to Better DS3. Thanks to Beef for handing out advice, though. I appreciate it a lot.

As for my decision regarding Classic Mega Man... uh... kinda leaning towards 4 right now. I guess Lightning Lord's happy about that. qq more is more than likely not!

Mostly that Ken's got another thing coming if he thinks he's going to get away with publishing his own echidna book.
Pretty much. Pretty glad Sega's gotten involved in this. And that's all I have to say with respect to that.

Speaking of which, Mega Man #25 should be out today. Bean told me that the preview pages are up and that he'll be puttin' something together for them later. I had to have a laugh at 'em while looking through them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still love 2! It's near and dear to my heart. It's just... it has some issues; and 3 and onwards tend to introduce more flexibility for Mega Man (ex: sliding), which I like.

2 has its issues, but so does 3. 3's can mostly be overlooked given that it gave us Protoswag. 9 is maybe the most balanced of the triumvirate. Like I said, it's cruel to make one choose.

X is legit best game of all time material though, even a step above the "top ten" calibre of those classic games. Like Mario Galaxy or A Link to the Past, it's unfair to the rest of the franchise to compare them to it.

As for my decision regarding Classic Mega Man... uh... kinda leaning towards 4 right now. I guess Lightning Lord's happy about that. qq more is more than likely not!

Maybe. Just a little.

partytime.gif

Village

2 has its issues, but so does 3. 3's can mostly be overlooked given that it gave us Protoswag. 9 is maybe the most balanced of the triumvirate. Like I said, it's cruel to make one choose.

X is legit best game of all time material though, even a step above the "top ten" calibre of those classic games. Like Mario Galaxy or A Link to the Past, it's unfair to the rest of the franchise to compare them to it.

I can understand why x is functionally awesome and why its loved even though I like other Jump n' Shoot, n slice mns more.

i have unnatural bias toward ZX advent

I REALLY LIKE NINJA'S

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's either Deadly Premonition, Ni no Kuni, or Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing for me tonight. Probably NNK since it's something light and colourful that my brother can enjoy watching me play since he's sick in bed.

Leaving the rest of Sonic CD to the weekend because Special Stage 5 is driving me nuts. And if Special Stage 5 is driving me nuts, the rest of them are going to do that too. It suggests that I need to take a bit of a breather from it and come back later. Halfway done the other trophy (the one to destroy the holograms and the like).

Honestly, outside of hitting the +Time UFO, if anyone's got some critical paths for that stage, I'd like to hear them. I got down to 2 before I started screwing up in the most dramatic of ways because they're all super-dodgy now.

What's so special about 4?
Well, MM4 tends to be overlooked because it's in the shadow of 2 and 3 (and X). It also gets a little knocked back because it tried a few things that some (like qq more) don't like and that some (like me, Lightning Lord, and a few others) do like. I do recall that my cousins were kind of getting sick of the traditional Mega Man formula by 4 (and thus that's probably why they liked Mega Man X a lot when it was released here).

I really like MM4's presentation, much like I do 5's. Backgrounds are more detailed and colourful. The stage themes fit much better for the bosses than they did in the past, and the stage elements and designs were really neat (ex: rainbow platforms in Ring Man's Stage, rain/sewage in Toad Man's Stage, quicksand in Pharaoh Man's stage, the lights in Bright Man's stage, etc). And the music is great; I really like how all of the channels were used in multiple themes, but Mega Man music is usually pretty darn good. The general tone is moodier, and while some may find this as grounds for disliking the general music direction of the game, I think it's a welcome change.

qq more hates it, but one of the biggest changes to 4's formula and onwards is the Charge Shot. Charge Shot is a bit of a welcome change for buster-only formulae, yet because of the balancing in the game, it's probably the most powerful weapon in Mega Man's arsenal throughout the entire game... provided you know when to use it. Charge Shot is a focused shot that takes time to charge and cannot fire in all multiple directions, and thus you'd need the weapons to get by sometimes. Some see it as a good thing, and some see it as a bad thing (like qq more, who argues and argues about the implementation of Charge Shot even though I've agreed to disagree :p). Later games would balance the abilities of the Charge Shot even better than MM4 did, like the MMX games and later classic installments.

It also introduces the concept of double fortresses (go through one fortress, and then Wily's fortress thereafter). While someone like qq thinks of this as padding, I don't really mind it because the stage designs aren't really a hassle to get through and thus you can get through them relatively quickly (well, okay, there was that one Wily Stage that ONLY had Mets and the boss for that stage was the super-huge cute Met which was cute but it hits hard). Some of the fortress bosses are neatly designed, too, imo.

Eddie was a new addition, and his roulette could either make you feel super-relieved cuz he gave you something good, or make him dead to you because he gave you something that isn't very useful.

I personally like how flexible Mega Man had become in this installment: weapons, Charge Shot, Slide, and all. He became a very nice character to work around with in terms of platforming. Charge the shot, slide under enemies to evade, and attack. Wait to strike with a weapon that can cause damage in any direction. Wait to use the Wire Adaptor and use it as a hookshot. I feel that it's more strategic and somewhat better designed and balanced in that sense than MM2 is, despite taking some weapon callbacks from 2. The pacing genuinely feels good with all of this additional flexibility.

At the same time, I don't like how 9 and 10 took stuff away and gave it to Proto Man for the sake of having another character to use / buy. That sort of design simply baffled me until I realized that Capcom was out to get more money. It would be like taking Sonic's spindash away in another game while retaining it for someone like Knuckles and Tails just so they could say that Sonic plays like he did in Sonic 1, which makes little mechanical and innovative sense.

...well that was longer than I thought it was gonna be. I do have more things to say, but that's a general sweep of thoughts flitting about in my head at the moment.

I forget, is it possible to do one castle and get a password to take you directly to the second, or do you have to do both castles in one shot?

Because I've always figured it was the latter, and never particularly cared for that; that's forcing you to do half the game in one sitting, which is kinda bullshit.

Leaving the rest of Sonic CD to the weekend because Special Stage 5 is driving me nuts. And if Special Stage 5 is driving me nuts, the rest of them are going to do that too. It suggests that I need to take a bit of a breather from it and come back later. Halfway done the other trophy (the one to destroy the holograms and the like).

Honestly, outside of hitting the +Time UFO, if anyone's got some critical paths for that stage, I'd like to hear them. I got down to 2 before I started screwing up in the most dramatic of ways because they're all super-dodgy now.

Special Stage 5 is pretty much the hardest one, 6 and 7 are a lot easier in comparison. Only advice I can really give is to time your jumps a bit in advance, as that seems to slightly circumvent that weird habit the UFOs have ave slinking right out of Sonic's Jumping path, and not to be too scared to take a dip in the water for a second or two if you have the chance to destroy a UFO that just happens to be hovering over some.

I think the only trophy I have left is Savior of the Planet. Maybe I should knock those holograms out when I have the time one of these days. Been sitting on that trophy for a good year now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Special Stage 5 is pretty much the hardest one, 6 and 7 are a lot easier in comparison. Only advice I can really give is to time your jumps a bit in advance, as that seems to slightly circumvent that weird habit the UFOs have ave slinking right out of Sonic's Jumping path, and not to be too scared to take a dip in the water for a second or two if you have the chance to destroy a UFO that just happens to be hovering over some.

I think the only trophy I have left is Savior of the Planet. Maybe I should knock those holograms out when I have the time one of these days. Been sitting on that trophy for a good year now.
Thanks so much. I've been looking at videos and I just got boggled with how people do it so nicely and perfectly (though they got a lot of practice prior to a final posted recording, so...). I get frustrated when things don't go my way!

Yeah, I think I'm going to go for Saviour of the Planet first before getting to the Time Stones now. My intent was to do it the other way around, but oy, those special stages!

I forget, is it possible to do one castle and get a password to take you directly to the second, or do you have to do both castles in one shot?

Because I've always figured it was the latter, and never particularly cared for that; that's forcing you to do half the game in one sitting, which is kinda bullshit.
You're correct. You can only use a password to get to Cossack's Citadel, but you can't use a PW to skip directly to Wily's Castle. I usually do them in one shot, myself. These games ain't very long to me.

Oh, and Bean wanted to participate in our rankings, too. Er. The reason why I said it was funny is because his list is basically the same as mine.

DBean said:
Classic: MM4
Game Boy: MMIV (GB)
X: MMX4
Zero: Zero 3
ZX: ZX Advent
Legends: Legends 1 (by default)
BN/SF are N/A

Oh, you know, I should replay the ZX games. I need to find a difference, here.

Repressed Special Stage 5 memories rising from the depths of my mind, what a hoot that one was, seconding that it was the hardest one though I can't remember exactly why.

Argle bargle, i've fallen into that place, you know that place where you end up staring at your games more than actually playing them, maybe i'm expecting some super secret hidden game to emerge out of the shadows of the backlogged, one that will grind tedium into a fine paste and whisk me off to a carefree world, i'm not so sure if i'm burned out on games or that it's just one of those weeks.
All this MM4 talk makes me want to revisit it but seeing as Capcom are joining the VC drip feed I might be able to enjoy a version that doesn't run in patented PAL slow mo some time in the next....year?
An overview of my backlog reveals a unusual amount of JRPGS, i'm now wondering where these all came from.

Sciz

I've said this before, but MM4 would be a much better game if it didn't have godawful performance and percussion.

qq more

MM4 just needs less charge shot and less sub bosses designed around it. Oh and up the difficulty!

EDIT: I should probably shut up about the charge shot because it isn't that big of a deal. Game is still fine, really.

Sciz

MM2 performs worse than MM4. Sprite flicker like a MOTHAfucka

MM2's alright, mostly. It rarely holds a stable 60 Hz, but it rarely dips very low either, so at least the experience is stable. MM1 can't even scroll the screen without dropping frames, but hey, 1987 on a shoestring budget, whatever. MM3 holds up alright until you try to scroll with two different enemies onscreen, and MM4 goes into conniptions whenever enemy projectiles have the audacity to be a part of the game. 5 and 6 finally more or less got their shit together as well as any NES game did.

I'd pay good money for Sonic CD 2011 style updates that did nothing but lock the games to 60 Hz.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I've been playing the Complete Works versions more than the NES versions, but for my final decision, I did end up going back to the NES versions for a bit.

Megaman 4 has the Charge Shot? Well by golly, the Charge Shot was dope in X, I always used it. I know it's not the same but still.
It was more balanced by the time X rolled around, I felt.

Planning on chipping away Ni No Kuni bit by bit, Schala?
Oh, yeah, totally. I don't really feel like I'll get a lot out of it in general, but I do want to get it done. Last I checked, I was ... uh... Lordy, I don't even remember. I do believe I was past Hamelin, though. The game's still fairly short. The platinum run is longer. The platinum isn't even that hard, so maybe if I have the patience I might do it. If I don't, I'm not even going to bother.

Repressed Special Stage 5 memories rising from the depths of my mind, what a hoot that one was, seconding that it was the hardest one though I can't remember exactly why.

Argle bargle, i've fallen into that place, you know that place where you end up staring at your games more than actually playing them, maybe i'm expecting some super secret hidden game to emerge out of the shadows of the backlogged, one that will grind tedium into a fine paste and whisk me off to a carefree world, i'm not so sure if i'm burned out on games or that it's just one of those weeks.
All this MM4 talk makes me want to revisit it but seeing as Capcom are joining the VC drip feed I might be able to enjoy a version that doesn't run in patented PAL slow mo some time in the next....year?
An overview of my backlog reveals a unusual amount of JRPGS, i'm now wondering where these all came from.
Ah, so Special Stage 5 is hard for everyone, then? I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling kind of inferior here.

JRPGs seem to comprise most people's backlogs for some reason (because they're long, I bet). It's hard to get motivated for some people, knowing that. Maybe it's just one of those weeks. I had a day like that this week. I just elected not to play anything. Or switch genres for a bit like I did for the past few months. It's been refreshing, truly.

I should really get on to archiving my games somewhere, though. The place Quackula showed me once seemed to be kinda neat.

Quackula

MM2 performs worse than MM4. Sprite flicker like a MOTHAfucka

Sprite flicker occurs when the 8-sprites-per-scanline rule is violated. It's called OAM cycling, and it has to be coded in manually, normally those extra sprites plain don't get drawn at all. The fact that Mega Man's face is comprised of layered sprites doesn't help things here.

I'd say it's more of a case of designing levels carefully so you don't have too many things on the same scanline at once. Something they simply got better at doing over time.

Megaman 4 has the Charge Shot? Well by golly, the Charge Shot was dope in X, I always used it. I know it's not the same but still.

Charge shot in MM4 is really unbalanced because it is so overpowered, but considering it was the first game to implement it, it is to be expected. On the opposite end of the spectrum is MM5, where enemies were given an absurd amount of hit points, making it a necessity to use it on the hard-hitters because they will absolutely wreck you.

JRPGs seem to comprise most people's backlogs for some reason (because they're long, I bet). It's hard to get motivated for some people, knowing that. Maybe it's just one of those weeks. I had a day like that this week. I just elected not to play anything. Or switch genres for a bit like I did for the past few months. It's been refreshing, truly.

I should really get on to archiving my games somewhere, though. The place Quackula showed me once seemed to be kinda neat.

It's just kind of surprising really, they're indeed there in backlog due to length for the most part, funnily enough most of them are in fact in my library because it's not a genre I tended to play much of so it was my own refreshing genre switch idea kicking off around 2 years ago when I decided to tackle a number of series/games that were well received, it's been worth the trip even if I have a pile if unfinished ones, not an easy genre to return to either, jumped back on Last Story the other month only to be running around like a headless chicken as I apparently forgot something important regarding a boss I reached, like how to actually hurt the swine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still want Watch_Dogs. I'm interested in the premise. I want to know who's composing the soundtrack (my fingers are crossed for Jesper Kyd since I really missed his stuff in AC3).

It's just kind of surprising really, they're indeed there in backlog due to length for the most part, funnily enough most of them are in fact in my library because it's not a genre I tended to play much of so it was my own refreshing genre switch idea kicking off around 2 years ago when I decided to tackle a number of series/games that were well received, it's been worth the trip even if I have a pile if unfinished ones, not an easy genre to return to either, jumped back on Last Story the other month only to be running around like a headless chicken as I apparently forgot something important regarding a boss I reached, like how to actually hurt the swine.
Yup! I know how that kinda feels, since there was a period where I just played the big hitters or games from series that I was familiar with. Getting used to playing almost every RPG I come across was something I had to get used to again.

See, what I do is I put a pile of games on my desk to clear out. If I see that pile gettin' any higher, I force myself to get through it all so I can clear it out. If I don't clear everything out, I adjust my budget and buying habits accordingly. Funny thing is that I get through portable games quick and easy, so those aren't usually a problem. I was just exercising on the exercise bike downstairs since it's pouring here and I brought my Vita along for the ride to multitask. I like handhelds a lot because of the convenience.

Like, this is my console pile now. It's higher than normal because I have the month off + some of them are games I've started and dropped.

dsc0056604ufe.jpg

And yeah, the RPGs take a while, but that's because for some dumb reason, I become intent on getting the plats for those.

Yeah, it does seem like my backlog has plenty of RPGs in it. Earthbound, Dragon Force, Skyward Sword whichisn'treallyanRPGbutisaboutaslongasonesoTHERE, and several other RPGs I picked up and never finished over the years like Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shining the Holy Ark, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Fallout, Planescape Torment...

It's things like this that make me react to "this game is too short!" with "GOOD!"

Right now, my immediate backlog consists of Mega Man 10, Rockman & Forte, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, and Dragon Fantasy.

MM stuff is on the backburner, as is KH due to kind of being burned out a bit on both series, and I don't want to start Dragon Fantasy until I finish Dragon Quarter (Which I'm really starting to get into now; It's criminal that a game this well crafted was the one that killed the series) because knowing me, if I play two RPGs at the same time, neither of them are getting finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom