• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's easier said than done but just don't listen to that nagging voice in your head and just narrow you focus on what you truly enjoyed about the game, it would probably outweigh the negatives I imagine.
You know what I did enjoy? this theme.
I always liked it but I was enjoying it a lot more on this run.

You've been on the internet too long.
I don't know what you're talking about.

Now then I find BHZ Mayor to be a pretty well rounded poster, but he's not without his flaws, for example he didn't highlight which part of my post he's responding to muddling his message and this in turn
...AW SHIT, maybe you're onto something.

Seriously though I sort of find it like part of the post game analysis, what worked, what didn't work, what could be better, what was great and all that.

I've never had the patience to write detailed critiques about the games I play.

Even when I rant it's usually only three paragraphs long.

(._. )

I can't actually remember the last time I ranted about a game entirely, that one Sonic Heroes playthrough maybe? as I progressed I got more and more sour, it was more fun than the game I tell ya! now everyone knows about Eggman having his legs broke to the soothing sounds of the piano.

Yup! I listen to most of the soundtracks that come out within the year for SotY, so that means I listen to stuff from games I haven't played before. And I get that it's not for everyone. It's just become the equivalent of regular music for me, I guess.

And lol, maybe you just need a break in general, Nocturnowl. I have those days too. In fact, yesterday was kinda like that. My brain wasn't functioning as a result of extreme fatigue.
Maybe I should listen to a random soundtrack instead of playing a random game, I feel capable of this much.

A break? it can only last as long until DKCR3D.
Speaking of breaks, anyone ever have that other kind of game fatigue where you play too many good games in a short space of time that everything that follows in their wake just can't compare? my back to back Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Symphony of the Night combo did this, I prefer it when it happens that way.

Can't be done. Sorry. >_<
Also this.

Oh and Blackjace, regarding Mass Attack, it's interesting but I didn't find it as solid as say Canvas Curse even if the concept itself was pretty inventive and unique, the screen area feels too compact when you're trying to keep all the kirby's safe from harm and the stylus controls can also have a few issues with the small screen area. Worth a shake at a lower price though, it's got that Kirby charm in spades, I just rate most other recent Kirby games higher than it. It's got some surprisingly long levels at times as well.
It also has this, so weirdly enjoyable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
WHAT. But... I... cleaning... room. Mess.

...I'll watch it later with Bean.

Only thing I'm missing from my Kirby collection is Mass Attack. How is that?
One of the best Kirby games I've played (eh, screw it, I love Kirby). Completely packed with variety.

I'd written this back in 2011, but I'll expand and change things around a bit:
Dark Schala said:
x: Kirby Mass Attack (DS) ; Got this game for Christmas. This was quite a surprise. Much like Kirby Canvas Curse, it takes full advantage of the DS&#8217;s capabilities. It&#8217;s incredibly charming in terms of art direction and music. It doesn&#8217;t act like the traditional Kirby game, but somehow it feels like one. It&#8217;s quite lengthy (it took me more than 10 hours to finish, how about that for a Kirby game? :O), the controls are okay (a nice blend of Kirby and Pikmin), and it has some difficulty at last if you&#8217;re going for collecting everything. Doing no damage runs and collecting stuff per level adds even more fun to this platformer. Also, the extra content like the Kirby shmup is welcome.
Eat more food, get more Kirbys to follow you around. You'll always find that you have more strength in numbers and things become considerably easier to do provided you have an army of Kirbys who have your back. However, this comes at a price: the more Kirbys you have, the more Kirbys you need to learn to look out for. Just in case you get hit or your group becomes harder to manage. I can say that it's a bit thrilling to go through these levels in an attempt at trying to no-hit them.

And I have a deep fondness for the Kirby Quest minigame for obvious reasons. I thought the entire package was darling and charming.

Maybe I should listen to a random soundtrack instead of playing a random game, I feel capable of this much.

A break? it can only last as long until DKCR3D.
Speaking of breaks, anyone ever have that other kind of game fatigue where you play too many good games in a short space of time that everything that follows in their wake just can't compare? my back to back Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Symphony of the Night combo did this, I prefer it when it happens that way.
Yeah! I'd start with an arranged album to start with some sorta familiarity and then move on to something unknown from there. That's how I started doing it. By the way, the Fantasy Life soundtrack is kinda neat. Still combing through it, though.

And yeah... that's sort of what happened between 2011 and 2012 for me. 2011 was just so darn good, with a ton of platformers and RPGs that satiated my need for decent games to play throughout the year. And 2012 failed to live up by comparison due to its lack of decent stuff in general. The fact that my 2012 GotY list was completely out of bounds for me is demonstrative of 2012's lack of platformers and RPGs I had access to.

2013 has Rayman Legends and 3d Mario, I think we'll be ok on the platformer front

Plus Guacamelee and Runner2 were very good

oh and uh, maybe Sega releases a Sonic game or some shit

Yeah! I'd start with an arranged album to start with some sorta familiarity and then move on to something unknown from there. That's how I started doing it. By the way, the Fantasy Life soundtrack is kinda neat. Still combing through it, though.

And yeah... that's sort of what happened between 2011 and 2012 for me. 2011 was just so darn good, with a ton of platformers and RPGs that satiated my need for decent games to play throughout the year. And 2012 failed to live up by comparison due to its lack of decent stuff in general. The fact that my 2012 GotY list was completely out of bounds for me is demonstrative of 2012's lack of platformers and RPGs I had access to.
At the risk of punishing myself I might have to glance at what music Ace Attorney Investigations 2 had in store for me, curse you Capcom!

2012 was kind of weak, I mean just look at the main two GotY award winners the main retail side seemed to drop a fair few balls.
2010 deserves love as well, that year was sweeet for platformers.

2013 has Rayman Legends and 3d Mario, I think we'll be ok on the platformer front

No interest in Puppeteer? there's always the chance of it being more flash than substance but it's like retail and stuff so hopefully they're putting a lot into it.
I think there's more out there on track for this year but i'd have to rack my brain to remember them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

but jc, sonic 4: episode 2 came out last year and two people voted for it for goty.

Yeah, Guacamelee was better than I'd expected it to be. It's not really a Metroidvania, and I'm glad I didn't go in with that expectation. It's got some real good platforming in the end and button-mashing isn't going to get you anywhere.

Runner2's that good, eh? You got impressions floating around anywhere?

At the risk of punishing myself I might have to glance at what music Ace Attorney Investigations 2 had in store for me, curse you Capcom!

2012 was kind of weak, I mean just look at the main two GotY award winners the main retail side seemed to drop a fair few balls.
2010 deserves love as well, that year was sweeet for platformers.
Oh snap. I really tried hard to play TWD, but I just couldn't do it. I feel kinda bad about it, but in the end I decided the game wasn't for me at all. Well, the demo anyway. I didn't buy it in the end. I looooved 2010 as well. So many great games that I loved coming home to. So many RPGs, so many platformers... ohhhh, I'd love for 2013 to measure up to that standard.

AAI2's soundtrack's pretty good! You might get a little more out of it than AAI1's.

When I needed to kill 10 minutes of time earlier in the week I used Sonic 4 episode 2, if anything it works as a fun enough mindless distraction, you've just got to not think about things too much, like why are there numerous sections in White Park Act 1 where I land on a piece of wood to outrace an avalanche outta nowhere by simply leaving Sonic to do his automatic thing? The Tails team up stuff is till pure cheese as well.

Oh snap. I really tried hard to play TWD, but I just couldn't do it. I feel kinda bad about it, but in the end I decided the game wasn't for me at all. Well, the demo anyway. I didn't buy it in the end. I looooved 2010 as well. So many great games that I loved coming home to. So many RPGs, so many platformers... ohhhh, I'd love for 2013 to measure up to that standard.

AAI2's soundtrack's pretty good! You might get a little more out of it than AAI1's.
I can't critique TWD too much, I saw a bit of it at a friends and it seemed good for what it was, but in case i've not stressed it enough i'm just so very tired of zombies even if the characters hold the greater role here.

I actually hold AAI1's soundtrack pretty highly among the series so this could be promising.

I think a few hairs of mine just rose in protest.

No interest in Puppeteer? there's always the chance of it being more flash than substance but it's like retail and stuff so hopefully they're putting a lot into it.
I think there's more out there on track for this year but i'd have to rack my brain to remember them.

All I saw of Puppeteer was some LBP-floaty ass physics, that was no bueno. And I kiiiiinda sorta detest the aesthetic.

All I saw of Puppeteer was some LBP-floaty ass physics, that was no bueno. And I kiiiiinda sorta detest the aesthetic.
Don't scare me with your claims of floaty ass physics JC, the last thing I want is another LBP experience which was like "hey some of these late game level designs are pretty good, shame it kinda sucks to actually play".

I'm actually learning the Underwater Theme from Super Mario Bros. on piano, it's kind of difficult for me but it's manageable.

Oh neat, I do love me some piano. That one ghost in Luigi's Mansion playing that theme on piano for a mere 10 seconds was such a tease.
Mario Party 5 of all things actually had a pretty nice version of the SMB underwater music.

I don't understand being unable to not critique any part of a game...

EDIT: Oh look, like the sun setting and rising, and the birds chirping, you can always set your clock to when Pokemon topics turn weird.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trying to finish Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The soundtrack is good! Put that into a NSMB game! The game itself has me constantly asking myself how long the game's supposed to be, which isn't really a good thing (this usually means that I feel like the game's overstayed its welcome). It's charming, though; I'll give it that.

I've gone back to this for a little bit for some reason (Tales of Vesperia, so yep! I just restarted it--looks like a gem and I like how this looks WAY more than Xillia).

dsc00573zws2j.jpg

And, wow, I... kinda don't like how inflexible it can be at the start. Going from Xillia, Xillia 2, and Graces to this is weird as heck because you can sidestep and backstep right away in those games. Here, you have to wait to learn it from a weapon. I haven't played Vesperia since 2010, so maybe it's the case that I'm rusty at it? I'd forgotten that you can free run in this game, but you know how I feel about that mechanic in the first place. I like evade/block/backstep/sidestep. Eager to put Judith in my party since I main her anyway.

But man, going from a deluge of skills that just factor into stats and artes like this:

dsc00579m1j1h.jpg
dsc0058276k3j.jpg

(Tales of Graces' title system is where you learn artes, stat increases, certain passive skills, etc. from titles acquired; you have most of the mechanics (outside of Alpha/Beta artes being unavailable as a child) at the beginning of the game, like backstep and sidestep since that's essentially the foundation of SS-LMBS. That is, being able to dodge and time your dodges, blocks, and counters correctly in order to facilitate being able to deal more damage and create higher combos as a result. You do get penalized for free-running willy-nilly, and that's why I love it so much.)

And this:

nn7lc28k80.jpg
dsc00574slkqq.jpg

(Tales of Xillia's skill system is called the Lillial Orb system. You use a grid system to level up, somewhat similar to, uh, FFX, I guess. Or FFXIII. I dunno. You can level up six stats: Strength, Agil, Intelligence, M. Def (Spirit), P. Def (Vitality), and Dexterity. So, what you want to do is put GP into levelling up stat bulbs that create a trapezoid around nodes in the centre of them to activate those arte/passive skill nodes (so just connect the dots to activate the nodes in the centre). In the end, you're just trying to get stat-ups and passives. There are some battle mechanic things in Xillia like the Item Ball and the Artes Ball, but outside of that, you can backstep and sidestep to your heart's content (and thank goodness for that because Jude's Vanish skill is broken as heck.)

And this:

dsc005801kkxm.jpg
dsc00581bvjis.jpg

(Tales of Xillia 2's skill learning system (the Arousal Orb... Arrowsal Orb... Arrowcell Orb... Aerosol Orb? I dunno how to romanize this (&#12450;&#12525;&#12540;&#12475;&#12523;&#12458;&#12540;&#12502;)!) is kind of similar to Capacity Cores in Abyss, where you equip different capacity cores in order to learn new artes or get stat upgrades. The orb has six elements: Light, Earth, Water, Darkness, Wind, and Fire. Depending on which Absorber you have equipped, you can get points for that element with elemental cores obtained from fights or harvest points. Regardless, what you're equipping here is stat ups and passives, not battle mechanics.)

...to having to learn even the simplest of battle mechanics in Vesperia is plain weird. Having to learn how to backstep is kind of insane at this point, and I'm glad further games in the series don't have that.

And man, going back to Graces for a little bit feels so good. Everything's so fluid and flexible, and you have most of the necessary tools right when you start the adult arc. You know, I kinda feel like doing the plati--*shot*. But seriously, I have an EU copy sitting here, and an unfinished Japanese save on an NA PSN account, and I could stand to play through it again. I feel like I'm in the mood for it.

But no, other games first. Then comfort food RPG.

Man. :/

That's why I haven't liked any of the LBP games' platforming outside of the Vita game. Vita game was decent. The other ones... eh. It's a good level builder, but I wouldn't look at it solely as a platformer.

This is all some roundabout way to make me try and remove Graces F from my backlog isn't it? I have a lot of love for Vesperia, something about the way the characters bounce off each other just works and leads to them being one of my favourite groups of main characters in a JRPG, Tales Tropes and the actual plot be damned, even the token kid is actually okay.
As for the gameplay side of things, it feels initially stiff but it had a pretty good curve introducing elements to the battle system for someone like me at least, though i'm pretty sure overlimits consisted of Yuri yelling DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRUCTION FIELD!
Oh but that's the PS3 version up there is it not? no Troy Baker yelling spam for you, back when old Baker Boy being in a leading role was actually fresh, a statement which surely sounds false these days.
I never really felt that I was missing out with the lack of Vesperia PS3, probably because loli pirate girl looks to upset the balance of Vesperia's main cast by being out of place, of course i'm just basing that off mere glances, I could be completely wrong.
Visually it still looks damn sharp, when I first saw Xillia screens I was wondering why ithe colours didn't pop as much as Vesperia, must've been a design choice though not one I agree with.

Now then if a JRPG is going down in the next month it's either going to be the continuation of...

Graces F: See as fun as the combat is that alone will have trouble sustaining me for however many hours, especially when everything else is so by the numbers it hurts.

Last Story: Surely the shortest choice, I stopped because my Wii sounded like it was going to vomit out the disc whenever I played it which was sort of distracting, but maybe my foolish early adopting of its successor can give it a second wind...right after I read a faq to figure out how i'm supposed to hurt this one miniboss i'm at.

Then there's the PSP, due to a borked Speaker and the console not holding its charge making sleep mode a dangerous gamble i'm always reluctant to use this handheld, however...

Tactics Ogre: SRPG but close enough, I have no idea what i'm doing, I feel soooo weak and i'm still right near the start of the game, that's pretty much it actually, I want to like it but I feel incapable of actually grasping it, ditto for its Final Fantasy counterpart.

Persona 3: I think this one would be a lot more manageable, just a lot of time investment, hasn't really hooked me but it hasn't repelled me either, it's in limbo.

Help me out here Schala, as a filthy casual JRPG player which one should I pull out of the pile and conquer?

Locking abilities that should be basic mechanics to level ups and weapon skills are two of my biggest gripes with Abyss and Vesperia, respectively.

It's a damn great looking game, though. I still need to finish the Telescopic Graveyard and fight Spiral Draco one of these days.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Locking abilities that should be basic mechanics to level ups and weapon skills are two of my biggest gripes with Abyss and Vesperia, respectively.

It's a damn great looking game, though. I still need to finish the Telescopic Graveyard and fight Spiral Draco one of these days.
Yeah, I can't stand it. I'd rather have every mechanic available to you at once and all out in the open as opposed to locking them away and having the player access them at a later point in time.

It really bogs down the gameplay for me. And this is part of my gripes with Ni no Kuni too. I just really hate it when games lock things away until after a certain point.

This is all some roundabout way to make me try and remove Graces F from my backlog isn't it? I have a lot of love for Vesperia, something about the way the characters bounce off each other just works and leads to them being one of my favourite groups of main characters in a JRPG, Tales Tropes and the actual plot be damned, even the token kid is actually okay.
As for the gameplay side of things, it feels initially stiff but it had a pretty good curve introducing elements to the battle system for someone like me at least, though i'm pretty sure overlimits consisted of Yuri yelling DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRU-DESTRUCTION FIELD!
Oh but that's the PS3 version up there is it not? no Troy Baker yelling spam for you, back when old Baker Boy being in a leading role was actually fresh, a statement which surely sounds false these days.
I never really felt that I was missing out with the lack of Vesperia PS3, probably because loli pirate girl looks to upset the balance of Vesperia's main cast by being out of place, of course i'm just basing that off mere glances, I could be completely wrong.
Yeah, I'm playing the PS3 version so I have to listen to Kosuke Toriumi (Yuri Lowell; which ain't so bad since he voices Hajime Saito and Japanese Junpei Iori) and Mamoru Miyano (Flynn Scifo; also voiced Light Yagami, Rintarou Okabe, and Japanese Riku from KH) But at least I got Norio Wakamoto in my version of Vesperia! Gwahahahahahahahahaha! I like Karol's English voice way more than his Japanese voice. His Japanese voice is painful. I'm more familiar with arte names in Japanese anyway, since I've played more JP Tales games than English Tales games at this point (so I'm assuming that Destruction Field is Bakusaijin ("Blasting Position")).

The pirate girl is superfluous and serves little importance to the main narrative. Also her hi-ougi takes a while to perform and I don't like using it. Flynn, though, yup... I like using him in battle. Right next to Judith.

If Vesperia didn't have that last third that fell apart, I'd say it's really darn good. At the moment, it's kinda being a little surpassed by Xillia 2.

Now then if a JRPG is going down in the next month it's either going to be the continuation of...

Graces F: See as fun as the combat is that alone will have trouble sustaining me for however many hours, especially when everything else is so by the numbers it hurts.

Last Story: Surely the shortest choice, I stopped because my Wii sounded like it was going to vomit out the disc whenever I played it which was sort of distracting, but maybe my foolish early adopting of its successor can give it a second wind...right after I read a faq to figure out how i'm supposed to hurt this one miniboss i'm at.
Hmmm... if you're into playing these things for the story, and if you think the narrative's terribly by the numbers, if you're looking into console front, finish of TLS. Especially since it sounds like you now know what to do from reading a FAQ. It's a relatively quick game, so I don't see why you shouldn't carry on with it.

I love Graces, but if someone's not digging it, I'm not opposed to them not playing it if they dislike the story.

Then there's the PSP, due to a borked Speaker and the console not holding its charge making sleep mode a dangerous gamble i'm always reluctant to use this handheld, however...

Tactics Ogre: SRPG but close enough, I have no idea what i'm doing, I feel soooo weak and i'm still right near the start of the game, that's pretty much it actually, I want to like it but I feel incapable of actually grasping it, ditto for its Final Fantasy counterpart.

Persona 3: I think this one would be a lot more manageable, just a lot of time investment, hasn't really hooked me but it hasn't repelled me either, it's in limbo.

Help me out here Schala, as a filthy casual JRPG player which one should I pull out of the pile and conquer?
I wouldn't go with Tactics Ogre if it feels incredibly daunting to you. It seems as though if you don't feel like you're going to click with it, I'd go with Persona 3 Portable instead. It's easier to manage and understand, and the characters are compelling enough, so why not? The added ability to manually control your party members in this version might be a selling point as well.

Honestly, I think you should finish up TLS, then go to Graces or Persona 3, and leave TO for later if you so choose to play it. That's just based on your wording here.

Yeah, I'm playing the PS3 version so I have to listen to Kosuke Toriumi (Yuri Lowell; which ain't so bad since he voices Hajime Saito and Japanese Junpei Iori) and Mamoru Miyano (Flynn Scifo; also voiced Light Yagami, Rintarou Okabe, and Japanese Riku from KH) But at least I got Norio Wakamoto in my version of Vesperia! Gwahahahahahahahahaha! I like Karol's English voice way more than his Japanese voice. His Japanese voice is painful. I'm more familiar with arte names in Japanese anyway, since I've played more JP Tales games than English Tales games at this point (so I'm assuming that Destruction Field is Bakusaijin ("Blasting Position")).

The pirate girl is superfluous and serves little importance to the main narrative. Also her hi-ougi takes a while to perform and I don't like using it. Flynn, though, yup... I like using him in battle. Right next to Judith.

If Vesperia didn't have that last third that fell apart, I'd say it's really darn good. At the moment, it's kinda being a little surpassed by Xillia 2.
A shame Flynn never gets the opportunity to pull off a manic laugh then, I forgot that he was actually usable, though I thought he worked well enough with his original role, but more movesets for you to experiment with is more than enough I bet....heh, blasting position.

Yeah, the last third is pretty weak, they could've wrapped things up a lot sooner and most of the late game dungeon like sections feel a bit lacking compared to those from the rest of the game.

Hmmm... if you're into playing these things for the story, and if you think the narrative's terribly by the numbers, if you're looking into console front, finish of TLS. Especially since it sounds like you now know what to do from reading a FAQ. It's a relatively quick game, so I don't see why you shouldn't carry on with it.

I love Graces, but if someone's not digging it, I'm not opposed to them not playing it if they dislike the story.

I wouldn't go with Tactics Ogre if it feels incredibly daunting to you. It seems as though if you don't feel like you're going to click with it, I'd go with Persona 3 Portable instead. It's easier to manage and understand, and the characters are compelling enough, so why not? The added ability to manually control your party members in this version might be a selling point as well.

Honestly, I think you should finish up TLS, then go to Graces or Persona 3, and leave TO for later if you so choose to play it. That's just based on your wording here.
I don't think I actually dislike the story in Graces as much as everyone else seems to (unless it gets drastically worse which is in fact kind of intriguing in itself), it's like a number of things on top of that like how some of the dungeon like areas i've been through range from straight linear stuff to copy paste rooms of confusion. Still at least I feel like I can go back, Abyss isn't so lucky.

Anyway I've taken this info into consideration, time to initiate this plan.
Last Story for my current console game, i'll set Persona on handheld duty now i'm done with Fire Emblem.
If I can meet this challenge then I may face the other two soonish unless i'm burnt out on JRPGS, and who knows, maybe i'll take down Hitman Absolution as well, I can feel the drive returning to me, shame its like 1AM right now, why couldn't my inner fire spark back up earlier during the day itself?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've had a really crummy day to be honest with you all, so the Graces talk got me thinking, since it's one of my "comfort food" games.

I was wondering if anyone else had this kind of stuff. This is SonicGAF so I wonder if I would be right to assume whether or not some people have Sonic games listed as their comfort food games? Probably the Genesis ones because they're quick and dirty?

Well... my comfort food games are pretty predictable:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - It's a game I know pretty well, and a game I could probably no-death/speed run on a good day. But sometimes I just like to lose myself in the level design and in the game's music rather than trying to get a good score or speed run it.
  • Tales of Graces f - This was the game that got me back into playing RPGs after a rather lengthier than normal hiatus from the genre. I just love going into a battle, and feeling completely in the zone on Chaos mode, sidestepping and swiping at enemies while trying to get a higher and higher combo. It feels so tremendous. Even moreso when I have more titles to unlock. I begin to concentrate on the battles and ability unlocks, and I eventually get my mind off whatever's preoccupying it.
  • Genso Suikoden I - Genso Suikoden I is fantastic, and I know it very, very well. I know it has a tendency to make me tear up and cry, but the comic relief in the game truly balances it out. It's a game I can speedrun, but sometimes I just like to take it slow.
  • Yoshi's Island - Look at the dang game. It just screams comfort food! The tight controls, the wonderful game mechanics (eatin', makin' eggs, throwin' eggs, touching fuzzy and gettin' dizzy), and the remarkable music.
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn - This one is fairly recent, but whenever I came home in 2010/early 2011, I just liked to curl up in flannel jammies, make some hot chocolate for myself, cover myself in a faux wool blanket, and play around with some fabric and yarn in this game. It may be a collectathon, but it's incredibly fun and heartwarming.
  • Mega Man 2 - Yeah, I know I declared MM4 as my favourite classic game (and actually, it's getting up there in "Comfort Food" territory, too, since I've been playing it so much lately), but you have to remember what Mega Man 2 was to me when I was little. It's near and dear to my heart, ever since I first started playing video games. I love this game, even with all of its flaws because it's like coming home to an old friend that I know almost like the back of my hand with a few unpredictable qualities here and there.
  • Chrono Trigger - I think this is somewhat self-explanatory. I think Chrono Trigger is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. It's beautifully-designed and it has a wonderful premise and development idea behind it. It's a game I can get through easily with little problems, and I find it very rewarding every time I go through it, or at least play a bit of it if I'm feeling down.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - LA is one of the Zelda games that I know like the back of my hand, much like ALttP, OoT, MM... er... maybe most of them. But LA is the one that stick with me the most because it's more lighthearted, and I feel like there's more "extras" in there in terms of references to Nintendo series. It's stuff like that that makes me smile.
  • Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening SE - This is actually what I like to play when I'm mad. I... think the reasons are kind of obvious. It's easy to get in, slash shit up, and get out.

So... what are your definitions of "Comfort Food Games", exactly? Some of these aren't necessarily my favourite games in their respective series, but I like them enough to feel comforted and cheered up because of their familiarity.

A shame Flynn never gets the opportunity to pull off a manic laugh then, I forgot that he was actually usable, though I thought he worked well enough with his original role, but more movesets for you to experiment with is more than enough I bet....heh, blasting position.

Yeah, the last third is pretty weak, they could've wrapped things up a lot sooner and most of the late game dungeon like sections feel a bit lacking compared to those from the rest of the game.
Hey, the Japanese names for some artes are weird as heck. They sound soooo cool, but they really tend to mean a bunch of nonsense when translated literally. Well, Flynn being there in the PS3 version is truly a treat (because he's more of a physical Magic Knight). He gets some of the quicker artes I like to use, but again, I like sticking with Judith because I'm a sucker for aerials, and you all know how much I value quicker attackers.

The last acts of Tales games are generally direct-to-DVD sequels that don't really need to be there. Vesperia is not immune to this.

Anyway I've taken this info into consideration, time to initiate this plan.
Last Story for my current console game, i'll set Persona on handheld duty now i'm done with Fire Emblem.
If I can meet this challenge then I may face the other two soonish unless i'm burnt out on JRPGS, and who knows, maybe i'll take down Hitman Absolution as well, I can feel the drive returning to me, shame its like 1AM right now, why couldn't my inner fire spark back up earlier during the day itself?
Persona 3 Portable, I will warn, can be lengthy depending on your playstyle. If you feel like you might be burnt out on it, then stop. I'd like you to continue with Graces, but go with TLS.

And yup! I have the same problem sometimes. I get motivated at the wrong times of the day.

So... what are your definitions of "Comfort Food Games", exactly? Some of these aren't necessarily my favourite games in their respective series, but I like them enough to feel comforted and cheered up because of their familiarity.

Resident Evil 4 - I know this game like the back of my hand. Beaten it at least 20 times across numerous platforms. I keep numerous save games throughout the adventure and all of them are fun to start up at. The game's dynamic difficulty keeps the experience fun even if I'm a bit rusty. There's also zero bullshit - all cutscenes are skippable with instant load times and the game has no forced slow-walk sequences. It's 100% game, and always brilliantly-designed and paced. Finally, the game rewards familiarity. For example, a knowledgeable player can trigger and kill both Dr. Salvador enemies at the village fight to gain a cool 20,000 currency and really get a head start on the economy.

F-Zero GX - This game's controls are ingrained into my muscle memory. It puts me into a zen-like state and almost every single track/cup is familiar and a joy to speed through. Winning a cup on Expert or Master difficulty gives a supreme sense of accomplishment.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - While I'm not quite as intimately familiar with this one as I am with RE4, I'm pretty close. Collecting those delicious golden spinning DK Coins
ibfft8SU3IphdS.gif
soothes my soul. Also can be played at a very fast and efficient pace.

Super Metroid - I'll never forget some of the sequence breaking techniques. Game is short and can beaten in an afternoon, which can be comforting. Sublime alien atmosphere to get lost in, with a stellar soundtrack.

Metroid Prime - This game is the definition of "flow" for me. I'll intend to pick it up for an hour or two and end up playing for 5 or 6. The constant stream of power ups is an infinitely-gratifying carrot to chase. Being familiar with the game also greatly increases the speed at which you can complete it, since several of the mandatory artifacts can be collected early if you know where to look.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Everything about this game is satisfying. The thud sound when you bounce on enemies, the way items swoop up into your inventory, the roll jump, and the tricky platforming involving platforms that move, tilt, crumble, and disappear in almost every conceivable way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Those are great picks and descriptions. I knew I could count on SonicGAF for some good stuff. Really like the writeup for RE4, and I totally agree with the zero bs remark.

Super Metroid - I'll never forget some of the sequence breaking techniques. Game is short and can beaten in an afternoon, which can be comforting. Sublime alien atmosphere to get lost in, with a stellar soundtrack.
There's always a chance that I'd forget something, and Super Metroid is definitely one of mine, too. Oddly enough, I don't choose to speed run this game often, but I just really love to explore everything in that game. It's partially because I love Super Metroid's soundtrack, but it's also because I love how the game looks, handles, and feels. Even if the intent is to create a sense of isolation and a moody atmosphere, I feel like its familiarity and the fact that the atmosphere is so well-designed and executed creates some sort of "comfort" for the player.

There's always a chance that I'd forget something, and Super Metroid is definitely one of mine, too. Oddly enough, I don't choose to speed run this game often, but I just really love to explore everything in that game. It's partially because I love Super Metroid's soundtrack, but it's also because I love how the game looks, handles, and feels. Even if the intent is to create a sense of isolation and a moody atmosphere, I feel like its familiarity and the fact that the atmosphere is so well-designed and executed creates some sort of "comfort" for the player.

The cool thing about sequence breaking in Super Metroid is that even the most minor breaks are satisfying. Like using the wall jump to get the Spazer Beam early, or the slightly harder trick of mockballing for early super missiles. There's really a wide spectrum of ways to break the game and they're all fun, from the simplest to the most hardcore.

The RE4 100% game thing in relation to other games irks me to this day. Too many games have unskippable cutscenes or forced slow walk sequences (I <3 you Metal Gear Rising but come on)or some other obnoxious factors. I can appreciate those things on a first playthrough but they kill replayability. I like how, if I replay and finish RE4 with 15:00 on the timer, at least 14:59 or more will be pure gameplay. You can even skip minor cutscenes like area overviews for crying out loud. And that was in 2004!

After having a bad week I can relate, now for reliable standbys you say...
Well it should be said that i'll shove on any variety of DK, Mario and to a lesser extent Sonic platformer to quickly play a few stages (kind of harder with most Sonic games due to progression style) if I need the quickest fix. As for comfort food games that require a whole playthrough...

Ocarina of Time: Easy choice, i've played through it more times than I can count and now there's the 3DS version to make it all the more colourful, all of my yes. The great thing about Ocarina is how well paced it is, you're always doing something and it's got a good ratio of overworld to dungeon, the only bit i'm never that keen on doing is the Gerudo Fortress but after about 20 runs I think I finally remember how to reach that one carpenter who I always forget.

Metroid Prime: Tallon Overworld is like my home away from home, the rain, the music, the flora and fauna, I wish that one area was a little bigger. Primes slower pace to its 2d counterparts is actually quite beneficial at times, hopping around crumbling scenic ruins scanning the remnants of a fallen society, everything just works. The Sequels just don't have that extra touch that makes Prime so easy to revisit.

For some less frequently revisited titles...

Castlevania Symphony of the Night: Another visit to Drac's abode is always a treat, i'm sure most of you already know that I love the music but aside from that the locations themselves are heavy with atmosphere, the way each area of the castle has a layout to suit the location itself makes the whole place come together really well.

Ace Attorney Series: And people say these aren't replayable, not too dissimilar to re-reading a good book or re-watching a favourite movie, sometimes I just need to step back to Wright's crazy courtroom antics, the dialogue is witty, the characters charming, like meeting back up with old friends, sure I may know all the solutions but you could say it's about the journey and not the destination. The numerous entries help ensure I don't retread the same ground too often.

Back in the day you could probably add Banjo Kazooie, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Pokemon Red/Fire Red to this listing. But with a Pokemon game each year these days I don't get much need to revisit Kanto yet again.

I suppose I could say more about the platformers, the genre itself is always replayable, hop and bop style more so than action focused ones (so i'm much more likely to go for Mario and DK than say Classic Castlevania and Mega Man). There's been a lot of new platformers in recent years and more to come, so it'll be interesting to see which of these fall into the frequent rotation.
Part of me wants to detail the comfort food goodness of each platforming title and why but that will take entirely too long.

Oh actually there's one more, the ultimate comfort food for both single and multiplayer.
Super Smash Bros Brawl/Melee: The list above reveals a shocking twist i'm sure, I enjoy Nintendo games, shock and awe. Both these games therefore are where comfort is king, a treasure trove of Nintendo wrapped up in a Zany brawler, it is without a doubt my most tunred to game when all else fails (like yesterday in fact), I will jump on Yoshi's Island and start sending people flying with Ike's Ragnell and DK's limbs, ever so reliable stuff.

Actually most of both Schala's and The Xtortionist's list work for me as well, I like 'em, Resi 4 is a longer trip but it's still so damn playable and in my opinion still schools most modern third person shooters.

Hey, the Japanese names for some artes are weird as heck. They sound soooo cool, but they really tend to mean a bunch of nonsense when translated literally. Well, Flynn being there in the PS3 version is truly a treat (because he's more of a physical Magic Knight). He gets some of the quicker artes I like to use, but again, I like sticking with Judith because I'm a sucker for aerials, and you all know how much I value quicker attackers.

The last acts of Tales games are generally direct-to-DVD sequels that don't really need to be there. Vesperia is not immune to this.
Never has there been a more fitting comparison, Direct to DVD sequels, making a mental note of this one.
My Vesperia team plan was usually, Yuri, Judith and Repede all out attack, Estelle stands at the back and does her healing and magic stuff, it was perfection. I always have trouble breaking away from using the central character, Judith was one of the few that felt similar enough to be okay with.

Persona 3 Portable, I will warn, can be lengthy depending on your playstyle. If you feel like you might be burnt out on it, then stop. I'd like you to continue with Graces, but go with TLS.

And yup! I have the same problem sometimes. I get motivated at the wrong times of the day.
I checked up on my file, only 5 hours so far....well shit, we'll see how far I can go. This games sort of freedom as to what I can choose to do is almost like choice paralysis at times.

Comfort food games? I was just thinking of mking a thread on something similar a few days ago.

Anyway!

Sega Arcade Games (Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Outrun, Afterburner Climax, etc.) - Sega Arcade games are my go to games for whenever I'm in a crummy mood. The combination of blue skies, great controls, and fantastic (and in Daytona's case, hilarious) music never fails to work as a nice pick me up. I actually find myself singing along to the Daytona stuff more often than not, heh.

One thing in particular I like to do with Afterburner Climax in particular is to put the game on the easiest settings, maybe activate a few EX-Options, use the custom soundtracks feature on PS3 to play the Bayonetta arrangement of the AB theme, and just tear through the arcade mode with it playing in the background. Is it challenging? Nope. Is it one hell of a rush? Hell yeah, it is.

Symphony of the Night - Symphony of the Night might well be one of the easiest Metroidvanias ever thanks to how broken you can make Alucard... but that's precisely why I like it a lot. Sometimes you just want to tear through a game backed by a fantastic soundtrack at your own leisure.

Breath of Fire III - BoFIII's probably one of the most laid back RPGs ever made. Whenever I feel the need to just mellow out, and don't feel like playing the above games, I'll play this. If the somewhat lax nature of the game doesn't somewhat cheer me up, the soundtrack definitely will.

Sonic Colors - I could honestly sub this with any good Sonic game (the Genesis trilogy, Generations, etc.), but Colors is the one I've been finding myself going back to. I can understand why: Bright colors, great music, fantastic art design, stages that actually have a decent amount of thought put into their level design, the lighthearted story, and the great music.

...Yes, I'm aware I mentioned the music twice. It's that good.

Mega Man X and/or X4 Two best Mega Man games of their respective console generations, each can be knocked out in an afternoon, both have great soundtracks, both are fun as hell to play, and both games I already have a ton of nostalgia for. Easy choices, really.

Comfort food games? Let's see...

Metroid Prime - The first was always the best for me, and I simply love just to boot it up and play it. I actually started playing it again on Trilogy a couple of months back, got up to Phendrana Drifts in a single sitting before putting it down. I may pick it back up again and just finish it off. Love getting immersed in the world.

Majora's Mask - I suppose Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening have that same "comforting" feel, but Majora's Mask is just ace. Although I know the game really well, I despise rushing through it and simply enjoy taking my time, exploring the nooks and crannies of Clock Town.

Ys I & II - Really fun games to play, and they are short and the battle system is simple yet effective. Especially the first one.

Dragon Quest IV - Probably one of my most favorite JRPGs, and the one I may have replayed the most. I consider most older DQ games as a type of comfort food, but DQIV in particular stands out, because I know the inner workings of the game so well.

Ace Attorney series - I agree with Nocturnowl on what he said. Those games are like a good book that you want to re-read over and over again.

These days it's typically

Doom: They got the gunplay down so well with this game, it's not even funny (although the super shotgun might be a liiiiittle bit unbalanced in your favor). Ease of modability means there's never any end of new territory to track down - and unlike Rougelikes, the levels were all intelligently (generally) hand-made by human beings, and not randomly generated by computer (those exist too, but they get samey really quickly). I can hop into a game of this at pretty much any time.

Minecraft: I haven't had any servers with regulars I'm chummy with in a while, since the last such server switched to a local-mod-heavy variant that I wasn't interested in joining up with, but I always got a kick out of looking around the landscape for caves and then spelunking the shit out of them. I used to get a whole lot of fun just doing that in Peaceful, although I've lately played on modes with monsters in them for added variety (and because they drop items needed to make other certain items - spiders, at least, drop string, with which you can make bows). It's typically a nice, cheery little time whenever I boot this up.

...and that's probably it, actually. I don't return to games as much as I used to; these days, I tend to hunt down new ones and see if I'd settle down into them instead. I suppose I can return to Sonic 3&K/CD or Super Mario World with relative ease, since they're my favorites in their respective series, being relatively easy and as such not particularly stressful, and with the added bonus that I'm generally quite familiar with the level designs in them as well. I just tend not to.

Hmm, comfort games seem to be what I'm all about these days since there's nothing new on the horizon I REALLY want until the Last of Us. I'll limit it to five though.

Team Fortress 2 - I feel like TF2 is my safe haven nowadays. I can always hop on my favorite servers and have fun with whatever class I feel like playing today. It still looks great because it's fantastic art design, it's accessible despite all it's many weapon additions, and it's highly playable, objective-based game design makes every map flow with this series of mini-objectives, the highs and lows of real teamwork coming together. It's a nice feeling.

Doom - Doom is just so...playable. There's no cutscenes you have to skip, no loading between stages, no slow walking, no stealth sections, none of that junk. You always moving a hundred miles an hour, through interesting environments to fight and explore, with some of the most satisfying gunplay(and enemy variety if we're talking Doom 2) out there. And with the amount of quality WADs out there, you never run out of new stages to play. It's something I can hop on for a quick map, or marathon through a hour's worth, and then hop off.

Street Fighter 4 - I'm still soooo bad at this video game.

Star Fox 64 - Here's a game I've been periodically replaying again and again for years now, ever since I got it back in '96. It's an impeccably well-crafted action game, an arcade rail shooter with Nintendo EAD's brand of polish. You can beat it in a hour, and the various paths through the game are nice to mix it up a little on the latest playthrough. And I know all the lines verbatim. ALL THE LINES.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Sonic 2 is very good, but the last half admittingly drags on, and most of the time I just get to Metropolis Zone and shut it off. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is something I can play through, beginning to end, in 2+ hours and feel really satisfied. With all the different environments, and the size of them all, eventually culminating running up this giant falling castle into the Death Star(and the inevitable Super Sonic confrontation back when that was still a novel idea), it really feels like this epic adventure you're embarking on across the entire island. Launch Base Zone aside, I really don't hate any of the zones either.

Symphony of the Night - A great game with a nice, leisurely pace. VERY easy. Oh so very easy. I could watch Alucard's beautiful walking animation all day.

Wait, that's six. Fuck.

My comfort food games:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: I can always come back to it and play it and feel relaxed. Doesn't hurt it's my favorite game either.

Star Ocean 2: Another one of my favorite games but also very relaxing to play and it's always nice to return to old friends.

Final Fantasy XII: It's really really hard for me to muster the energy to do a new save but it's very very easy to load it up and walk around some of the huge areas, especially the Great Crystal, Giruvagen, Feywood, Nabreus Deadlands, Necrohol of Nabudis...etc. Doesn't hurt that the music is good too!

Final Fantasy X: Love the game but this goes up here for one section, the road to Zanarkand where the music 'Someday the Dream will End' plays even through battles. It's a beautiful tune, and I can listen to it for days. And I have because I've sat there and level grinded just because!

qq more

The Columns games have all great music, but for me the original has my favorite song of the series.

Real calm and soothing.

Columns - Clotho

Wonder how this would sound on the SNES? probably not as good.

This is pretty good! I should try out the original sometime.

Also woah, PSO2 is updating again?

And damn you Capcom @ Ace Attorney 5 being digital only in the west!

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. The Gamecube version, with the Bongos. I always come away from that game with a smile on my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiQJFFauAv0

It's not quite a rhythm game, but it is a music game. And it's REALLY intense. I love how the music subtly changes when you do things - the little note progression when you jump, the fact that when you start doing well you get a chorus cheering you on to keep your combo going, it's just... I am in love with every aspect of this game. I always come away from it feeling pumped up and happy.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Jungle Beat was the game that made Nintendo go, "Yeah... motion control!" The team that did Jungle Beat went on to do Super Mario Galaxy, and Galaxy actually has a few unused assets leftover from DKJB in the game. Nintendo also made a Wii version of DKJB with waggle instead of bongos - always been meaning to try it, but never could bring myself to, because it looks like they also tried to turn it in to a normal platformer. (Wii version vs. Gamecube version)

It's just not Jungle Beat unless your palms sting.

And damn you Capcom @ Ace Attorney 5 being digital only in the west!

I'm not even mad at Capcom here. I'd really rather have a physical release, but I can (begrudgingly) understand the rationale behind it.

My problem is with the fact that now it's going to be at the mercy of Nintendo's backwards ass digital purchase system.

Still, I want to have a boxed version, so I'll just have to import the JP version the same way I did AAI2. :/

I always hold out some small hope that they'll eventually implement a proper account system - probably too late for the 3DS, but the Wii U already has those NNID accounts, so surely at some point they can code up something to reassign purchases made to those, and then look at how Microsoft handles its digital purchases for their "can't install on more than one console" qualms.

But then I kind of expect we won't really see that until, like, 2016 or something.

...No-one said Tetris? Well shit.
I've lost my copy of Tetris DS, and Push Mode was pretty much the apex of Tetris. I'm sad about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom