• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have this Sonic comic issue and thought this picture was pretty cool.

IZqmrYj.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
sheeit that's one of the issues I'm missing. Hell I'm missing both Adventure adaptations :(

I had this before I had Adventure 2, and I'm glad I did have it growing up. I think this comic and the dreamcast demo (that and Sonic Adventure 1 being an amazing game) motivated me so much more to get Adventure 2.

Maybe it's cheap on ebay, I still have my copy in my closet.

Nert

I'm pretty late to the comfort food games discussion, it would seem (work is keeping me really busy as of late). I'll just talk about one:

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

I've held on to this little GBA cart for a decade now. With the map editor feature, the highly challenging War Room scenarios, and the huge variety in COs, I could play this game endlessly. Once you're comfortable with how the game plays, its turn based nature also makes it highly conducive to playing (with the sound off) while you listen to a podcast or watch a stream.

It isn't difficult to figure out how to push around and exploit the game's AI. Luckily, the game provides you with a bevy of options to create situations where you have to be good at poking holes in its logic in order to survive. All of the 4 player maps, for example, can be turned into 1v3 maps. Brutal weather conditions can also be arranged. There's something very satisfying about methodically stocking up on ranged units as Grit and ever-so-slowly pushing your way out of your base against seemingly insurmountable odds.

Additionally, the game's portability and ability to save at any time makes it supremely easy to slip in and out of it throughout any given day. I have left the game (purposefully) just within reach during long study sessions or television marathons, knowing that my short attention span will snap at one point and demand that I play a few more rounds.

I want a new Advance Wars game for the 3DS badly.

Edit: Also, something Sonic related! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uVnR9B2vY
I know that Dario ff already posted this, but damnit, I'm going to link it again. It's so good!

Lovely, site maintenance on backloggery right as I started making some headway. Guess that's as good a sign as ever to go to sleep.

It did remind me that I need to finish Unleashed HD one of these days. Maybe platinum Arkham Asylum too, since I'm apparently pretty close to doing that.

Lovely, site maintenance on backloggery right as I started making some headway. Guess that's as good a sign as ever to go to sleep.

It did remind me that I need to finish Unleashed HD one of these days. Maybe platinum Arkham Asylum too, since I'm apparently pretty close to doing that.

Platinuming is like a serious problem here in this thread.

Knuckles always felt the toughest, even though his game was the shorter of the three. It was a blast discovering the other parts of the levels Sonic and Tails could never get to.

Quackula

Closest I think I've gone to 100%ing a game was getting something like 94 out of 96 exits in Super Mario World.

The only exits I didn't have were the 'normal' end goals in the star road stages, the ones that don't actually lead anywhere. I was too lazy to go after those.

I don't usually 100% games... definitely did with Sonic 3&K, Super Mario 64 DS, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario World and Ocarina of Time 3D, though.

I'll 100% a game if it's well within my ability to do so. If it's something where I have to play through the game more than a handful of times to get everything, then yeah, I probably won't bother.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I play a lot of RPGs, so I have a tendency to go for 100% with them. I sometimes even go out of my way to 100% some RPGs I don't even like because I just have that RPG completionist compulsion. I can 100% some platformers, but not all. It depends.

Heck, I platinumed Graces and Xillia twice. Graces was a fun platinum, so I enjoyed doing that one. Xillia was a chore and yawnfest because the grade/title requirements are repetitive and require little thought.

Edit: Also, something Sonic related! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uVnR9B2vY
I know that Dario ff already posted this, but damnit, I'm going to link it again. It's so good!
This sounds so fantastic. Someone tell this guy to put something out on Bandcamp or Soundcloud already. It's so awesome.

Just wait for the iOS port.
Put it on the Google Play store, please. :/

This is awesome! Man, I wish I could draw as well as that. It looks so good.

I'm pretty late to the comfort food games discussion, it would seem (work is keeping me really busy as of late). I'll just talk about one:

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

I've held on to this little GBA cart for a decade now. With the map editor feature, the highly challenging War Room scenarios, and the huge variety in COs, I could play this game endlessly. Once you're comfortable with how the game plays, its turn based nature also makes it highly conducive to playing (with the sound off) while you listen to a podcast or watch a stream.

It isn't difficult to figure out how to push around and exploit the game's AI. Luckily, the game provides you with a bevy of options to create situations where you have to be good at poking holes in its logic in order to survive. All of the 4 player maps, for example, can be turned into 1v3 maps. Brutal weather conditions can also be arranged. There's something very satisfying about methodically stocking up on ranged units as Grit and ever-so-slowly pushing your way out of your base against seemingly insurmountable odds.

Additionally, the game's portability and ability to save at any time makes it supremely easy to slip in and out of it throughout any given day. I have left the game (purposefully) just within reach during long study sessions or television marathons, knowing that my short attention span will snap at one point and demand that I play a few more rounds.

I want a new Advance Wars game for the 3DS badly.
This is a great post too (and man, I know that feeling of bein' busy or preoccupied--I didn't get a chance to congratulate you on your new job, so congratulations!).

TRPGs, especially when they're on a portable, are easier to manage and they're good to play in bursts. IntSys games are definitely part of the cream of the crop in terms of TRPG pacing and mechanics, as you eloquently put. I loved that every country now had a CO, and the COs seemed to be more balanced than the original's. And at least the AI doesn't go after unloaded APCs first and foremost. And you're punished for making stupid mistakes.

I hope we get a new Advance Wars soon.

Okay yes, I'll give you that, if it wasn't for Sqwaks, that level was a piece of cake.

I still need to 100 percent DKC3...wait no...hell no, screw that. I remember I tried then remembered I had to play the game on the hardest setting to do it, screw that...the thought of doing that on Rocket Race is a nightmare.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm actually wanting some generic short answers if anyone would about a question I have. Asking here instead of the Shenmue thread as you guys are pretty diverse in views.

Is Shenmue good? I don't want to know why as I kind of don't want to be spoiled too much, but it's like the one Dreamcast game (other than that creepy Seaman game I'm never going to play) I haven't tried yet.

qq more

I'm actually wanting some generic short answers if anyone would about a question I have. Asking here instead of the Shenmue thread as you guys are pretty diverse in views.

Is Shenmue good? I don't want to know why as I kind of don't want to be spoiled too much, but it's like the one Dreamcast game (other than that creepy Seaman game I'm never going to play) I haven't tried yet.

From what I've played, I'm enjoying it. Although it's slow so far but I heard it picks up later. I like how alive the towns are (npcs having daily routines and day/night cycles)

I want Seaman.

Kokonoe

Banned
From what I've played, I'm enjoying it. Although it's slow so far but I heard it picks up later. I like how alive the towns are (npcs having daily routines and day/night cycles)

I want Seaman.

I was frightening myself trying to guess if that spoiler was an actual spoiler or the usual hide something behind a spoiler messages.

Yeah, I really want to give Shenmue ago. I'll probably try it out when that Gamecube monitor comes in.

qq more

Thank god this PSO2 update doesn't seem very long to download. It seems I'm only more than halfway there now (just started 10 or so minutes ago). What is new with the update?

As for Sonic Heroes... I enjoyed it the first time I played it, I think I ended up disliking it when I tried playing as other teams. Team Chaotix was the worst. It's been years since I've last played it though, I'm actually kind of willing to give it another go sometime. At least the OST of the game was very enjoyable, so there's a motivator. Which version is the best? GC? That's the one I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom