• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Get off my lawn.

y cant metroid crawl
HJj6ZwJ.gif

I feel better now.

BlackJace

The rogue Chozo statue was unexpected, but it still didn't cause me to shoot everyone after that. I guess I can understand that kid's trepidation.

I'd love to see the Miiverse posts for something like Phantasy Star II. That would be some legitimately funny shit.

I can only laugh because I lived through the pain of figuring out that damned game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
By the way, Sonic 1's on the Google Play Store now if you have an Android device (in NA, at least). I'm downloading it now.

Gonna grab it and forget the children who can't remember how to use the skills they had just acquired and were just taught how to use.

I can't forget about this, I'm sorry. How does this happen? You were just taught how to use it right after you got the skill. And in order to get out of the room/area, you're typically "told" to use the item/skill several times throughout because the game and room are designed in that way. It doesn't make sense to me.

BlackJace

By the way, Sonic 1's on the Google Play Store now if you have an Android device (in NA, at least). I'm downloading it now.

Gonna grab it and forget the children who can't remember how to use the skills they had just acquired and were just taught how to use.

Google Play Review

1 out of 5

"What the fuck is wrong with this game? Why can't Sega crawl?

Too many glitches, the yellow coins disappear after only a few seconds when I get hit. Very disappointed with my purchase."

- Nega Dark Schala

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
omg, BlackJace. I'm crying.
KuGsj.gif

but it doesn't say press down on the d-pad twice how am I supposed to know???
You have a digital manual now so there's no excuse! :mad:

Wouldn't it say something like
Control Pad
Down: Press once to make Samus kneel. Press again to make Samus roll into a ball (If you have the Morphing Ball). Press down on the Control Pad while Samus is in the air to aim her weapon downwards.
Even then, isn't it basically intuitive to press down? If you've played a video game before, it's like... you know to do that. Logic!

omg, BlackJace. I'm crying.
KuGsj.gif

You have a digital manual now so there's no excuse! :mad:

Wouldn't it say something like

Even then, isn't it basically intuitive to press down? If you've played a video game before, it's like... you know to do that. Logic!

Modern game design has destroyed intuitive play.

Google Play Review

1 out of 5

"What the fuck is wrong with this game? Why can't Sega crawl?

Too many glitches, the yellow coins disappear after only a few seconds when I get hit. Very disappointed with my purchase."

- Nega Dark Schala

jZGjayaG2GmrQ.png

"FFXIII IZ UNDERATED' -short concise review

ycantmetroidcrawl.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Get that bizarro me outta here! (I'm fucking cracking up here. Hahahaha!)

(Just for the sake of saying it, my FF13 review completely ripped the game apart and was seventeen pages long of pure, unfiltered displeasure towards the game.)

I'm about to buy Sonic 1 for the second time this week

what is wrong with me
We're just gonna add it to the list of all of your versions of Sonic 1, mmkay?

(I feel similarly, haha. I have no idea how many versions of this game I own anymore.)

Modern game design has destroyed intuitive play.

jZGjayaG2GmrQ.png

"I'm fairly certain that DmC has all the things necessary to become the action game of the generation. Platinum, take notes: there's a new king in town. Jackpot.

(Just for the sake of saying it, my FF13 review completely ripped the game apart and was seventeen pages long of pure, unfiltered displeasure towards the game.)

(I feel similarly, haha. I have no idea how many versions of this game I own anymore.)

Only 17 pages?

TheOGB

Banned
...This isn't what I wanted to wake up to. Wow. Um. Because I'm morbidly curious and/or I feel giving myself mental anguish, do... do you have any more of those?

MAPS! INSTRUCTION MANUALS. FIGURING THINGS OUT YOURSELF. Paying attention to the level design which facilitates learning how to use the mechanic which you've just obtained in order to get through similar situations because Super Metroid is designed that way. Oh my gawd, did they even pay attention?

When I was young I used to keep notes. Notebooks of math, maps, dialogue, move lists, spell lists, passwords, cooooodes, mechanic summaries, stats, miniguides for optimal paths, max/min stats, writin' out potential strategies and seeing whether they worked or not, speed run times, etc. Arrrrgh.

And this was before GameFAQs, and learning how to use Internet. Shit, I had a modem and I couldn't go on the Internet all the time cuz I would've kicked someone off of the land line. And when I was young, we used to have dial-up sounds which sounded awesome. Then you got these dang AOL disks in the mail and you didn't know what to do with 'em half the time because they always came in the mail. And floppy disks! Remember those?! I still have a bunch of 'em with Corel WordPerfect documents of typed-up strategies and graphs. I still have a folder on my external hard drive with a bunch of walkthroughs and stuff I've transferred from those old notebooks if I didn't have the stuff already memorized.

*continues to ramble on and on*

Essentially, what happened to experimenting with the game mechanics and learning things for yourself? What happened to paying attention to the level design and discerning for yourself how to do something in-game? What happened to writing things down?
fPiVx2c.png

I can't forget about this, I'm sorry. How does this happen? You were just taught how to use it right after you got the skill. And in order to get out of the room/area, you're typically "told" to use the item/skill several times throughout because the game and room are designed in that way. It doesn't make sense to me.
Awwwww ye--
Nluy2Hj.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw, shit! That's too bad, OGB. :/

It's such a good port, too.

screenshot_2013-05-16ybuoh.png
screenshot_2013-05-16vqu4u.png

I feel like the colours pop more, but I've never played a game on this tablet before, so I dunno if it's the same for every game.

And this controls much better than MMX iOS and MM2 iOS, holy shit (the only two touchscreen-based platformers I've ever played). It's because you don't need as much precision.

The remastered music's pretty dang good; I appreciate the extra percussion and it sounds good even without listening to it through headphones. What Diablohead said in the other thread is pretty accurate. Spindashing in Sonic 1 is weiiiiird.

Only 17 pages?
In 10-pt Arial font without the pictures, yes. With the pictures and in 12-pt Times, it's 25 pages.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh boy, I can't wait until Marble Zone.

Aha, so you can restart Special Stages. How nifty. I... don't like Sonic 1's special stages very much. They're kinda crud at times.

You can't whack Robotnik before he brings out the wrecking ball anymore, which is a little disappointing. Though I'm kinda glad they left the in the bit in Sonic CD where you can kill the Palmtree Panic boss super-easily by standing behind it.

We should name you Critical Schala.
I can be nice and gentle on games at times!

Haha, when you get to
The Spring Yard boss, gates rise up from the sides of the screen so you can't hang out on the very edges of the screen anymore.

I really hope this eventually comes out on something with buttons, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh wow, lol. Yeah, I just got there. That's... something. Hahaha. I used to do that, too.

I'm hoping this comes out on a system with buttons, too. I would kinda like to play it with more precision and feedback as opposed to a touchscreen. (Vita, please; and that's only because I looooove the Vita's D-pad. It's great.)

Can I also take the opportunity to complain about Marble Zone? I dislike Marble Zone. It's my least-favourite Zone in Sonic 1. It's the antithesis of the speed-based platforming seen in Sonic 1, especially after the first level which teaches the player that jumping at the top of hills will give you extra height, and timing your jumps so that you jump on top of an enemy will give you even greater height. Combine that with speed, and you've got a delightful speedrun going. You don't need an instant boost of speed, either. If you needed to gain speed to get up an area, you run back and forth and gain momentum, curl into a ball and finally get up and out.

Marble Zone slows the pace down to a regular platforming level, where at times you need to wait to platform as opposed to controlling the pace yourself. There aren't a lot of alternate paths either, so it generally feels rather linear in terms of progression. I suppose it's a like it or dislike it sort of thing? It's not very difficult, but rather, it's just a bit of a jarring turn from Green Hill demonstrating that Sonic's incredibly fast and giving you the entire environment to be as "acrobatic" as you want to be.

Green Hill introduces Sonic as a speedster. Marble Zone shows that Sonic can do traditional platforming. Spring Yard turns Sonic into a pinball. Labyrinth shows us that Sonic can't hold his breath for long. That's good design, but... I really don't like Marble Zone that much, despite the slow/fast nature of the game's design in terms of stage ordering in general.

Eh. Different strokes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You'll change your mind when you play Blue Marine Zone

D:
You mean the time when I was watching you go through it and I couldn't take the pain anymore, so I helped you? And then you got mad because you didn't remember that you were on a delay?

I already know you like Marble Zone, anyway. Dead to me, qq.

qq more

You mean the time when I was watching you go through it and I couldn't take the pain anymore, so I helped you? And then you got mad because you didn't remember that you were on a delay?

I already know you like Marble Zone, anyway. Dead to me, qq.

No, Marble Zone is just okay, I kind of like it but I kind of don't. It's flawed but it's a masterpiece compared to Blue Marine Zone.

And I was only mad at that pipe puzzle!

I would be ok with Marble Zone if it was much shorter.

Sonic 1 has a pretty good level progression. I'd also mention Star Light's use as a tension reliever (fast paced and easier than Labyrinth) right before the endgame.

Sciz

Marble Zone is almost all right angles, which really misses the point of having a main character that can roll. Sonic 1 in general is pretty bad about that, in retrospect.

That mobile port looks and sounds gorgeous, though. It'll be a crime if they don't polish up S3&K.

Marble Zone's crime is that it's boring as hell. What is the zone's gimmick...lava? At least include a volcano or something...

I think Labyrinth should have been second, then Spring Yard, Marble, Starlight and finally Scrap Brain.

Tizoc

The Sonic 1 iOS update is miraculous, the game ran really slow on iPhone 4S, but now runs freaking smooth and DAT RING SPIN ANIMATION, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!
I need the newer iPhone models to get cheap already @3@

Also I pity all the Marble Zone hatin' fools.

Speaking of Crawling, I am reminded of Metal Slug~

...This isn't what I wanted to wake up to. Wow. Um. Because I'm morbidly curious and/or I feel giving myself mental anguish, do... do you have any more of those?

MAPS! INSTRUCTION MANUALS. FIGURING THINGS OUT YOURSELF. Paying attention to the level design which facilitates learning how to use the mechanic which you've just obtained in order to get through similar situations because Super Metroid is designed that way. Oh my gawd, did they even pay attention?

When I was young I used to keep notes. Notebooks of math, maps, dialogue, move lists, spell lists, passwords, cooooodes, mechanic summaries, stats, miniguides for optimal paths, max/min stats, writin' out potential strategies and seeing whether they worked or not, speed run times, etc. Arrrrgh.

And this was before GameFAQs, and learning how to use Internet. Shit, I had a modem and I couldn't go on the Internet all the time cuz I would've kicked someone off of the land line. And when I was young, we used to have dial-up sounds which sounded awesome. Then you got these dang AOL disks in the mail and you didn't know what to do with 'em half the time because they always came in the mail. And floppy disks! Remember those?! I still have a bunch of 'em with Corel WordPerfect documents of typed-up strategies and graphs. I still have a folder on my external hard drive with a bunch of walkthroughs and stuff I've transferred from those old notebooks if I didn't have the stuff already memorized.

*continues to ramble on and on*

Essentially, what happened to experimenting with the game mechanics and learning things for yourself? What happened to paying attention to the level design and discerning for yourself how to do something in-game? What happened to writing things down?

KuGsj.gif

PtSIvuN.gif

For some reason Metroid could prob. bore me with all it's exploration, more so than getting lost and giving up.
...but I once spent days writing up data on Garou's combo system, ask me anything I should be able to remember like 90% of what I wrote long ago.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Oh fucking wow.

And Coldman, I'm agreeing with you.

Beef.

Beef, no. :mad:

Isn't it in your backlog? You have the console ver. right? It should have some gameplay elements you'd like. It'd be funny if you end up agreeing with Beef.
For that matter, I'm still waiting for PC ver. to drop to 15-20 bucks, COME ON STEAM SALE!

Yo link me to this FF13 review you wrote please.

iavi

I'm hoping this comes out on a system with buttons, too. I would kinda like to play it with more precision and feedback as opposed to a touchscreen. (Vita, please; and that's only because I looooove the Vita's D-pad. It's great.)

Taxman was on Sonic Retro saying that there's no console sku being targeted at this moment, so that allows them to squash the current bugs that are out there faster :(

Kinda disappointing. I'm all set to buy this on multiple platforms too.

Tizoc

Taxman was on Sonic Retro saying that there's no console sku being targeted at this moment, so that allows them to squash the current bugs that are out there faster :(

Kinda disappointing. I'm all set to buy this on multiple platforms too.

Eh just wait and it'll come, then again I've been waiting for them to get the M2 Golden Ax and SoR games to PSN and still nada lol.

All that Super Metroid tomfoolery and Nega Schala have slayed me, i'm down to my last life for the day already.

Can I also take the opportunity to complain about Marble Zone? I dislike Marble Zone. It's my least-favourite Zone in Sonic 1.
Yes.

Marble Zone is my least favorite zone in the franchise, I think
Yes.

Marble Zone is almost all right angles, which really misses the point of having a main character that can roll. Sonic 1 in general is pretty bad about that, in retrospect.
Yes.

Marble Zone's crime is that it's boring as hell. What is the zone's gimmick...lava? At least include a volcano or something...
All of my yes.

I am in heaven with this marble zone deprecation.

Marble Zone is a slap in the face after Green Hill Zone, all the qualities that make GHZ- and thus, Sonic- unique and cool are stripped away for lame platforming.

GHZ is an amazing level but the rest of that game... :/

Sonic 1 is the greatest twist is platforming history, offering a unique and fresh take on things with the exhilarating momentum gameplay of Green Hill Zone, then slamming on the brakes with the tight tedious tunnels of Marble Zone, toying with you in the stop and go stylings of Spring Yard, submerged slowness in Labyrinth, a tease of speed that never quite pans out in Starlight and finally a stage where every few steps has a hazard pop up either under your feet or above your head in Scrap Brain.

Sonic 1 MS is where it's at, it's not exactly fast itself (hell it even has a forced scrolling stage) yet it plays more to its own strengths with better platforming at that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Stuff actually fell on my head, felt my entire bed rockin', and I heard a few of my trinkets shaking. It lasted for a while, too.

Haha, well... we haven't had one of those since 2010, I think. It was only a 4.8. Beef's gonna laugh at me. I just woke up because stuff fell on my head, and my bed as shaking.

WELL I GUESS I'M UP FOR NINTENDO DIRECT NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom