• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

Yeah I should probably register an account there. Me and Taxman also follow eachother on Twitter though, and I let him know I'm up for doing extra artwork for these ports.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
About an hour total.

Edited after suggestions from everyone. Thanks guys!

tumblr_inline_mn09fmQ1801qz4rgp.png
Perfect now! The shading's just perfect. I'm just stunned that you did it so quick!

Anyway, I'm on vacation for the next few days, and I needed it. I was getting pretty stressed out with respect to family stuff (mostly this), scheduling stuff, and a bunch of other stuff. And for those who were in the loop yesterday, it culminated into something that just put me into a bad mood for the entire day. It was probably more noticeable when my posts were more formal than normal or when I was being a little short with people than I normally am, and I'm sorry about that.

So for today, I'm just gonna hang out, eat pizza, have a pop (for the first time in forever omg), drink a bit, and just relax while I'm not home. I need that. Have fun today, SonicGAF. I hope you all have a good day.

Perfect now! The shading's just perfect. I'm just stunned that you did it so quick!

Anyway, I'm on vacation for the next few days, and I needed it. I was getting pretty stressed out with respect to family stuff, scheduling stuff, and a bunch of other stuff. And for those who were in the loop yesterday, it culminated into something that just put me into a bad mood for the entire day. It was probably more noticeable when my posts were more formal than normal or when I was being a little short with people than I normally am, and I'm sorry about that.

So for today, I'm just gonna hang out, eat pizza, have a pop (for the first time in forever omg), drink a bit, and just relax while I'm not home. I need that. Have fun today, SonicGAF. I hope you all have a good day.

People should really just do this more often, get away from the board and just relax.

qq more

People should really just do this more often, get away from the board and just relax.

I've been thinking of doing this lately. I've been letting myself get too upset over silly things. Although, I feel somewhat better after calling someone out in that one thread today.

I've been thinking of doing this lately. I've been letting myself get too upset over silly things. Although, I feel somewhat better after calling someone out in that one thread today.

You missed my hint earlier, go program darnit. People get wrapped up about this silliest things.

BlackJace

Schala's gone for the day?!

Guys quick, grab the beers and let's tear this place apart!

You have a wonderful day too, Schala.

Emitan

I'm trying to get all the emeralds in Triple Trouble and OMG are the plane levels bad. I've only done the first one but you are sooooo sloooooow and I felt like there was no way I was going to collect 80 rings because you don't move fast enough to move to them if you don't already know where they are. I am assuming the later emeralds will rely on memorization.

So yea Sonic CD is pretty neat. I like the concept of the Past/Future signs and finding the generators making the game more than just "get to the end of the level". Wish the controls during the special stages were better though. Also, why the hell are there rings actually in the ground/walls? Don't mock me with rings I can't get, game!

*Sonic 1 iOS griping, feel free to ignore this post*

Man, I love how feature filled this port is, and I really do appreciate all of the work put into it, but man the touch controls really kill it for me. It's not so bad in levels like Green Hill and Star Light, but in Marble and Labyrinth Zone, I feel like I'm fighting the controls more than anything else. I just can't get the hang of touch controls for platformers that require the precision Sonic 1 does.

I don't have any doubt that 2 iOS is going to be just as good a port, but considering the latter half of the game is hell even with a controller, I couldn't imagine doing those levels (Metropolis) on a phone or tablet. I think I'm gonna pass on the eventual release of Sonic 2.

*griping over*

Man, I love how feature filled this port is, and I really do appreciate all of the work put into it, but man the touch controls really kill it for me. It's not so bad in levels like Green Hill and Star Light, but in Marble and Labyrinth Zone, I feel like I'm fighting the controls more than anything else. I just can't get the hang of touch controls for platformers that require the precision Sonic 1 does.

I don't have any doubt that 2 iOS is going to be just as good a port, but considering the latter half of the game is hell even with a controller, I couldn't imagine doing those levels (Metropolis) on a phone or tablet. I think I'm gonna pass on the eventual release of Sonic 2.

*griping over*

Metropolis sounds like a potential nightmare...=/

*griping over*

It's great that somebody at Sega decided to let Taxman and Stealth produce the definitive version of Sonic 1 for systems that are not typically played with actual controls like they should be.

Somebody over there is a real genius for deciding it was mobile exclusive.

iavi

Can you get any funkier than S3&K's OST

It's great that somebody at Sega decided to let Taxman and Stealth produce the definitive version of Sonic 1 for systems that are not typically played with actual controls like they should be.

Blit must either be reaaaal busy (Skies of Arcadia HD anyone?) or the console versions of Sonic CD didn't make the money to justify the porting. Anybody with #?

Rlan

I could see these being new versions later on, like for Xbox 720 and PS4, assuming the previous versions are incompatible with the new hardware. Same for Wii U.

So guys I set my ringtone to the Sonic drowning theme and I am waiting for someone to finally call me so I can hear it.

...I just know it's going to give me a mini-heart attack the first time it goes off.

Blit must either be reaaaal busy (Skies of Arcadia HD anyone?) or the console versions of Sonic CD didn't make the money to justify the porting. Anybody with #?

Sonic CD hung in the top 20 most purchased Xbox Live Arcade games all the way from December through February, when it eventually dropped off and never returned. Stats on how well it did on PSN are a little harder to nail down. Same goes for Steam.

There 86916 players on the Palmtree Panic leaderboard, which is a pretty good estimate for total sales. If Rlan checks this thread, he'll probably know how good that is versus a typical XBLA release, but I think it sounds... decent, but not amazing? For example, Dust: An Elysian Tail has about 100k on its leaderboard.

I wonder if Sonic CD's $5 price point on XBLA was the right choice.

Edit: Ahaha, in the time it took me to write this out, Rlan posted!

There 86916 players on the Palmtree Panic leaderboard, which is a pretty good estimate for total sales. If Rlan checks this thread, he'll probably know how good that is versus a typical XBLA release, but I think it sounds... decent, but not amazing? For example, Dust: An Elysian Tail has about 100k on its leaderboard.

Well, at the end of the day it is a port, and those typically don't move huge numbers. I would say that it did pretty well for itself.

Rlan

Sonic CD's done well on XBLA. I mean ultimately porting it to everything, once it's done, is relatively easy. I do know some of the guys who worked with Blit on getting the XBLA / PSN / PC versions of Sonic CD, and while it was a bit of a pain at first (Taxman's self-taught code wise i think, which can always cause headaches for everyone else :p) they got it working on everything no sweat.

Sonic CD on iOS has over 350,000 players according to leaderboards, the Android version is 100,000 - 500,000 which could be anything, but considering it's a one-man deal it's very good. It also came out on Windows Phone 7 and Steam.

It'd probably be worth porting it -- next generation. Those who have Sonic already have it on Xbox and PSN, and doing an update like they did on iOS is really not going to work with patching. They'd have to do it again, and what better time than a new console generation?

BHZ Mayor

Why can't Street Fighter look like that?

On another note, listening to Sonic 2 music, I noticed that while I can easily acknowledge that Sonic 3&K is the better game, it's something about Sonic 2 nostalgia that makes me feel like no other game can, which pushes it above 3&K when discussing favorites and puts it near the top of my all-time favorites.

- the excitement of playing the game at the demo kiosk at Target countless times
- playing the game with my mom and the epic feeling of beating Death Egg together (also applies to Sonic 1 and letting her play underwater sections because I was too scared of the drowning)
- the excitement and glee that came during the first and only time I beat the water in Chemical Plant Act 2
- having a buddy back in elementary who knew all the codes and hearing the Super Sonic music for the first time from listening to him play over the phone
- discussing with him at school the level themes that were used from the first game and comparing drawings of Sonic
- the level select code (19, 65, 09, 17) that even Alzheimer's probably couldn't make me forget as long as I live
- watching my younger sister (3-4 at the time) play Sky Chase Zone and look around the room like Tails did in the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom