• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

yDSiLXV.jpg

Feel's doing alright for himself.

SSo0zet.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It kind of depends for some people I guess. Some people only care about the gameplay aspect of the games, so if there was a character whose gameplay is only terrible (and never was good), it would make sense for that person to hate the character because they'd only associate him/her with the gameplay they represented.
qq understands me. I don't pay attention to the characters' personalities or every single facet of their roles in the narrative because I just don't care. If a character consistently underperforms and gives me stupid shit to deal with in a game, then yes, I am doing to dislike the character by association because they do not offer me what I am looking for in terms of what I would like to do in a platformer, RPG, etc. It goes for every genre I play because I play games for the gameplay. Not the story. I haven't played a platformer ever for the narrative. I remember just picking Sonic 3&K up and renting them all the time because I liked playing as all of the characters. Heck, I didn't even know the story for those games at the time because I'd just rented them without a manual.

Narrative and personality is the absolute last thing I think about when I'm playing a platformer. I'm looking for consistency, cohesiveness, whether or not that character fits in with the level design, whether or not that character controls well, whether or not they bring something decent to the table with respect to the abilities they perform.

If they don't achieve any of these things, then, yes, I am going to dislike that character in general.

Someone made fun of Sonic's "shitty friends" but also praised Wiggler and Shy Guy in the same sentence.
...I don't remember the names of Mario characters. I need pictures. I know what a Shy Guy is. Wiggler's the... caterpillar thing... right? The thing from the Forest of Illusion?

This is where Bean says that he needs to give me a proper education in all things Mario.

I already have that argument covered, even if the theme of the subject is of Pokemon.
That's a pretty good argument, and it generally fits in with the scope we're talking about here. I'd thought what was said in that case to which we are referring was silly.

iavi

Hopefully Taxman and Co. adopt Google's new Games APIs for Sonic 1/CD and every title after. I need my leaderboards! Time trialing against myself is cool on a personal improvement level, but I want to know that I'm beating everyone else too.\

I've gotten my Green Hill Act 1 down to 25 73

qq more

I like hearing about story in any good games, even if they're not necessary at all. Sonic 3 & Knuckles did a very interesting job with telling the story. Even more interesting that Knuckles Mode apparently takes place after Sonic/Tails mode.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic 3 & Knuckles did a very interesting job with telling the story.
S3&K told its story well in that it didn't require decades of text for the game to get the point across to me. They just used animations instead and had respect for the player's time and competency to discern what was going on that way.

Even the backgrounds help tell the story sometimes (and not the obvious ones like the drawing).

iavi

I'm a story guy, but I can turn all care about that off when it comes to platformers. Sonic needs to return to the silent nods of the genesis era. Give me the music. Give me the visuals. Give me the mechanics. Or Jaleel white. He gets a pass.

Everything else, it's like the biggest thing for me; I can play a game that mechanically bunk, if it's narratologically sound.

S3&K told its story well in that it didn't require decades of text for the game to get the point across to me. They just used animations instead and had respect for the player's time and competency to discern what was going on that way.

Yep! first thing that comes to mind is lava reef, right before the segway into Sky Sanctuary right after Eggman snatches the M Emerald. So much was said and nothing was said at all. Gimme dat

Tizoc

I've never hated any of Sonic's friends, but I still wonder what that damn red leaf is on the cover of Sonic 3 is all about...

Village

I know i am a bit late, I went to sleep, But if I may comment on something.

I think it might be a bit of nostalgia, the bad games certainly do not help, but a lot of nostalgia.

You ever explain to a person why shadow is still around, they just get pissed off and don't accept is as truth.

Sorry if this annoys anyone.

Tizoc

Well Shadow is either a clone, a robot copy, a robotic clone, or was just resurrected after the events of SA2.

Village

Well Shadow is either a clone, a robot copy, a robotic clone, or was just resurrected after the events of SA2.

he fell and then egg man found him and put him in a healing tank like goku.
Or this some humor that I just do not get, I haven't been on the ball lateley

Noi

Picked up Sonic 1 on Android, cause why the hell not. Despite my distaste for touch controls, it's smooth enough were I have no major issues and my GSIII runs it without a hitch. So gooood.

Edit: Right as I say I have no major issues, I GO to the ball and chain...

Picked up Sonic 1 on Android, cause why the hell not. Despite my distaste for touch controls, it's smooth enough were I have no major issues and my GSIII runs it without a hitch. So gooood.

Edit: Right as I say I have no major issues, I GO to the ball and chain...

Is there some sort of static like sound effect that plays when you press the jump button? It's annoying as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom