• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Coldman, you're special. You make me laugh a ton with your charming British humour. You also know about streaming MM at >1fps.

Koko's special too, and I suspect she knows a ton about PSO.

If there is a Mario person, I could cover the other franchises (or just...Nintendo in general)
Nah, just stick with what you know! Almost everyone in this thread to some extent likes Nintendo (and even if they don't now, it's only because of the company's crummy business and design decisions). There's always gonna be someone who knows a little more than you, or knows more about certain aspects of a series than you do, and that's perfectly okay. The same could be said about GAF in general. (For reference, the person I named as a Mario guy is a lurker, but I feel like he's part of SonicGAF anyway.)

Like, I guess I'd specialize in RPGs in general--T/SRPGs, Turn-based-RPGs, ARPGs, western RPGs (well, older ones before this gen), roguelikes, MUDs (hey, they count!), Japanese RPGs, some KRPGs, etc. But there are definitely people on GAF who know more about RPGs than I do, or who concentrate on other aspects (like story and philosophy) more than I do (because I concentrate more on balancing and systems, exploits, timing, growth, min/maxing, etc). I import too, so...

Maybe video game music, though--once again--other people on GAF can have me beat on some bits of it, even if I go all out and write long posts about video game music in general. Same goes for localizations/languages/linguistics; though the subject was one of my majors, I feel like I learn a lot from other people on GAF who also have an interest in the subject as well.

I'd love to say that I specialize in platformers, but that's not true, despite the genre being my bread and butter when I was younger (and being the genre that got me into games to begin with). I love these games a lot, but I think everyone else in this thread has got me beat with respect to the genre in general!

You also know about streaming MM at >1fps.

iMF1Hb3wUVLnB.gif

Purplemage

Neo Member
I really should post on this board more often, considering it's the only place I can mention that I have a Sonic the Hedgehog half sleeve. (work in progress, not colored in) It's based off of the cover from Sonic 3.

Can't wait to have it colored in.

On a more on topic note, I've ran through Generations on the 360 and loved it, is the 3ds version worth picking up?

I really should post on this board more often, considering it's the only place I can mention that I have a Sonic the Hedgehog half sleeve. (work in progress, not colored in) It's based off of the cover from Sonic 3.

Can't wait to have it colored in.

On a more on topic note, I've ran through Generations on the 360 and loved it, is the 3ds version worth picking up?

Noooooope. Whatever you do, don't play Generations 3DS.

RM8

Isn't Generations on 3DS pretty much "Sonic Rush 3DS"?

I haven't played the "real" generations, but based on the PC demo I don't love the modern Sonic parts. Which makes me want to play the 3DS version instead :p

Nert

Based on the footage I've seen, I guess you could call it "Sonic Rush 3DS with Terrible Level Design." I mean, yeesh.

I'm sure that someone who's actually played it will be able to give you a more nuanced opinion than that.

Beef = Simpsons

It's a shame to see the activity in the Simpsons thread die down as much as it has. It was probably my favorite place to lurk!

I haven't played the "real" generations, but based on the PC demo I don't love the modern Sonic parts. Which makes me want to play the 3DS version instead :p
Generations on 3DS is pretty much "Sonic Rush hastily made in about 9 months with most levels layouts ripped directly out of their respective games".

Avoid it, it's far worse than the Sonic Team-made version.

RM8

I asked before in this thread and it seems like my best options for my 2D Sonic fix are Rush 1 and Colors DS, yeah. A shame because I don't think Generations 3DS looks bad, but sadly it seems like it's the worst Sonic "Rush".

RM8

I have a very limited history with Sonic. My first Sonic game ever was Sonic Mega Collection on GameCube, which I briefly borrowed from a friend. My favorite game was actually Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, lol, but that's because I already was familiar with Puyo. The Sonic games I liked the most were the first 3 on Genesis and Sonic 3D Blast - Sonic 1 being my favorite, actually, it feels the most like a regular platformer. I played a bit of Sonic Advance and I enjoyed it a lot if I remember correctly, and then I have played and loved... both Sonic racers by Sumo :p

Then recently I bought Sonic Tripe Trouble and I found it rather enjoyable, and it sparked my interested in more classic 2D Sonic goodness. So I downloaded the Sonic Generations demo on PC and was strongly discouraged by the modern Sonic part. So yeah, I want to buy either Colors DS or Rush 1. Probably Colors DS since I think it was precisely Sciz who told me it was slower and platform-ier than Rush.

BTW I downloaded the Sonic CD demo on Android and I love the music and visuals, and it seems like regular classic Sonic. I might have to buy that on PC. And I was hoping Lost World on 3DS would be strictly 2D, no luck it seems :p

For those new to the thread, the usual initiation process involves gifting me a game on Steam. I will judge your worthiness for the group based on the quality of your chosen gift.

Choosing Sonic games will be seen as pandering and you will be turned away at the Post Reply button.

Sciz

Probably Colors DS since I think it was precisely Sciz who told me it was slower and platform-ier than Rush.

To be precise, it is slower than Rush because it borrows the boost and wisp mechanics directly from Colors Wii. You just don't have enough energy to boost through a whole level until you know it pretty well, and wisps add a lot of complexity to the design that Rush just didn't have.

Also, just poppin' in to see how you guys are doin'. I'm just around for Tales Festival even though I just decided to go to sleep instead. Like I told Lightning Lord the other day, I miss SonicGAF. Y'all look like you're holding up well enough, regardless... and you're all behaving!

Dafuq you doing here? Hurry up and leave with the rest of the vets so I can whip this place into shape.

For those new to the thread, the usual initiation process involves gifting me a game on Steam. I will judge your worthiness for the group based on the quality of your chosen gift.

Choosing Sonic games will be seen as pandering and you will be turned away at the Post Reply button.

I offer the greatest gift of all.

------
I do Fighting (not just Street Fighter), Sonic, Arcade (Capcom/SNK/Konami), Treasure, Platinum, and Nintendo abuse. Anything with some good/interesting mechanics qualifies for a good time.

MVC2 mindset = Kill by any means necessary, there's no such thing as balance, but there is a such thing as boring.

As for Sonic, I literally grew up with the blue fucker, even analyzed his "cool" into a science.

Speaking of which.... This less edgier direction is starting to bum me out... Sonic's supposed to mix both color and edge, now it's just abandoning the edge. I don't like that.

On another note: Anybody here liked Castlevania Judgement? (as a fighting game)

RM8

I felt Castlevania Judgement was a fun game with amazing music. But as a fighter it lacks balance and depth, and it indeed get quite button-mashy at times. Gameplay needed a ton of work, but I appreciate it for being a decently fun, experimental game. Cube Controller all the way, BTW.

Also, as I mentioned I'm not really a big Sonic fan and haven't been exposed to his games a lot, especially not while growing up - but I can totally relate to the people who think classic Sonic looked much better.

Not that I think modern Sonic is disgraceful looking, but it's a pretty huge step down from classic Sonic indeed. In my opinion, of course :p Would you people be okay with "Classic Sonic" being a sub-series consisting only of 2D Sonic, while 3D Sonic games keep using modern Sonic? Lol, you've probably talked about this to death before.

Purplemage

Neo Member

Dang, there goes Sonic CD as an option. Whats the opposite of a Sonic game then? A slow, tedious, non linear game? And sadly my friend you caught me at the beginning of the month so all those fun fun fun bills have taken all my monies.

It's good to have other Sonic enthusiasts to chat with, I'd love to show a picture of my tat when it's done so you can all pick it apart and make me feel like hot garbage. Ehh, at least the girlfriend likes it.

Edit:
Also, fat sonic is the best sonic.

I felt Castlevania Judgement was a fun game with amazing music. But as a fighter it lacks balance and depth, and it indeed get quite button-mashy at times. Gameplay needed a ton of work, but I appreciate it for being a decently fun, experimental game. Cube Controller all the way, BTW.

Also, as I mentioned I'm not really a big Sonic fan and haven't been exposed to his games a lot, especially not while growing up - but I can totally relate to the people who think classic Sonic looked much better.

Not that I think modern Sonic is disgraceful looking, but it's a pretty huge step down from classic Sonic indeed. In my opinion, of course :p Would you people be okay with "Classic Sonic" being a sub-series consisting only of 2D Sonic, while 3D Sonic games keep using modern Sonic? Lol, you've probably talked about this to death before.

I thought it was decent outside of Dracula, I kinda liked the creative depth it had once you dug deep into the system to make some nonsense. (Holy Water on the Wall spam juggles, etc) Despite the Belmont's range the only character who truly got on my nerves was Maria.... she was the definition of OP. I'd love to see a sequel though. and yes, that game is made for GCN Controllers.

As for Classic vs Modern.... Modern Sonic's the best Sonic. There's no way in hell Classic could sell 3 bad-mediocre games and remain relevant.

To be more precise, I perfer the Dreamcast Yuji Uekawa vector style. It was progressive at the time, and managed to contain the vibe of color meets cool/edgy that Sonic had. Now, we just get CG Sonic. While I'd love to get more openings like Sonic Unleashed/Riders ZG and would like to explore those worlds in an actual mainstream Sonic (Which I'm kinda disappointed they decided not to use one of those narratives - Babylon/Blaze Dimension).

qq more

Would you people be okay with "Classic Sonic" being a sub-series consisting only of 2D Sonic, while 3D Sonic games keep using modern Sonic? Lol, you've probably talked about this to death before.
If I'm not mistaken, Modern Sonic's design exists because of the move to the 3D space. Sonic Team at the time wasn't too happy at how Sonic looked in 3D, so they redesigned him.

So yeah, I'll be perfectly okay with this.

Also, I like Classic more. Nothing against Modern Sonic (the redesign grew on me)... I just prefer Sonic being short.

Shame I can't link it here, but there's a new release of Sonic 3 Complete out now and it is pretty sweet.

Sonic 3 Complete started, from what I remember, as a project to finish up that "Sonic 3+" concept Sega had - basically S3&K all together on one cartridge. There were prototype ROMs of that floating around a couple years ago.

Sonic 3 Complete goes a step further and is a general enhancement project for Sonic 3 that does all kinds of nifty stuff. For example, in the most recent release...

• You can enable the "Tails Assist" option from Sonic 1 iOS, so you can give Tails the order to airlift you if you are playing as Sonic.
  • You have your choice of Sonic 1, 2, or Sonic 3 sprites.
  • Control type options to mimic Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD or "MAX CONTROL", which is all of the control abilities all at once.
  • There's an option to use Genesis-ized versions of the songs from S&K Collection on PC
  • A whole mess of other music options, including when to use Sonic 3-specific music, when to use S&K-specific music, and if you want to incorporate classic theme music from Sonic 1 and 2.
  • You can move Flying Battery back to its original Sonic 3 position (between Carnival Night and Ice Cap)
  • You can rename Mushroom Hill back to Mushroom Valley
  • A mile-long list of bug fixes to improve collision detection and such.
  • And much, much more!

Unfortunately, the place you can get it from doesn't really force its users to distribute IPS patches or anything anymore so... y'know.
mLpUvND.gif

But it's super cool. If Sega ever gets around to porting Sonic 3 somewhere, they really need to match this feature set.

Kokonoe

Banned
Shame I can't link it here, but there's a new release of Sonic 3 Complete out now and it is pretty sweet.

Sonic 3 Complete started, from what I remember, as a project to finish up that "Sonic 3+" concept Sega had - basically S3&K all together on one cartridge. There were prototype ROMs of that floating around a couple years ago.

Sonic 3 Complete goes a step further and is a general enhancement project for Sonic 3 that does all kinds of nifty stuff. For example, in the most recent release...

• You can enable the "Tails Assist" option from Sonic 1 iOS, so you can give Tails the order to airlift you if you are playing as Sonic.
  • Control type options to mimic Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD or "MAX CONTROL", which all of the control abilities all at once.
  • There's an option to use Genesis-ized versions of the songs from S&K Collection on PC
  • A whole mess of other music options, including when to use Sonic 3-specific music, when to use S&K-specific music, and if you want to incorporate classic theme music from Sonic 1 and 2.
  • You can move Flying Battery back to its original Sonic 3 position (between Carnival Night and Ice Cap)
  • And much, much more!

Unfortunately, the place you can get it from doesn't really force its users to distribute IPS patches or anything anymore so... y'know.
mLpUvND.gif

But it's super cool. If Sega ever gets around to porting Sonic 3 somewhere, they really need to match this feature set.

Good stuff, Blaze. This is pure awesome.

4aLfTcE.png

Give me Sonic 2 with the removed levels.

That honestly would be the most interesting one to do out of all of the classic Sonic games due to all the content that was cut.

Broach

Banned
So what's everyone's favourite non-sonic Sonic Team game (i'll leave PSO out of this), and yeah I'm adding Prope's games and SC5 since outside of Mizuguchi producing it's made by members who are now at Sonic Team

Ristar
NiGHTS
Burning Rangers
Samba de Amigo
Space Channel 5
Chu Chu Rocket
Billy Hatcher
Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits
Let's Tap
Ivy Kiwi
Rythm Thief

So what's everyone's favourite non-sonic Sonic Team game (i'll leave PSO out of this), and yeah I'm adding Prope's games and SC5 since outside of Mizuguchi producing it's made by members who are now at Sonic Team

The ones I've played, in order of preference:

Space Channel 5
NiGHTS
Billy Hatcher
Ristar
Project Rub/Rub Rabbits
Ivy the Kiwi?
Rhythm Thief

Nothing comes close to SC5 or NiGHTS. Billy Hatcher isn't perfect but it's the kind of thing I'd like to see the team be able to do more of. By the time I got around to playing Rub Rabbits I wasn't as interested in that kind of thing anymore, felt like I'd had my fill of it, but I loved Project Rub (especially the aesthetic of the game) at the time of release.

Rhythm Thief is one of those games that I really wanted to like but just couldn't. The atmosphere of the game is great, and the actual rhythm games are okay, but the bland adventure stuff basically kills it. There's a decent game (or heck, even a great OVA) in there but it's buried under so much junk that I just didn't care.

Kokonoe

Banned

Ristar
NiGHTS
Burning Rangers
Samba de Amigo
Space Channel 5
Chu Chu Rocket
Billy Hatcher
Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits
Let's Tap
Ivy Kiwi
Rhythm Thief

Honestly, when it comes down to it, I personally don't really care much for either of those series. I mean, I don't dislike them
except SC5 since I'm not really into memory games
, but I'm not overly fond of them.

Broach

Banned
imo Rhythm Thief has kinda alot of problems that modern Sonic games have, too much baggage. The core (mini games) I found to be great, actually, some control issues aside.

Still want to play Rodea the Sky Soldier...:(

Tizoc

Aha, I wanted to ask you all about this post before going off for a run (and to get off of GAF for the rest of the day).

I wonder what every member of SonicGAF specializes in, with that said. I know we have a lot of variance here.

Pietepiet's the guy I know I can go to with respect to questions about spritework and some design.
Blaze/Sega1991 = Sonic. No questions asked.
Noi = them platinums
Bean = Mega Man and Mario
qq = spritework and some aspects of level aesthetics (for real)
Beef = Fighting games, Simpsons, lots of other stuff
Nert = Video game music
Shadow Hog = retro systems, looking into purchasing old stuff, some level design
...and so on and so forth.

I'm kinda curious as to what other people have to say, to be honest!

Comic books and fighting games I'd say~

Slermy

• Control type options to mimic Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD or "MAX CONTROL", which is all of the control abilities all at once.
  • And much, much more!

mLpUvND.gif

Oh nice! I hadn't heard of this one. Do you know if it will run on actual hardware?

Kokonoe

Banned
Random, but I actually change my mind for the Sonic Heroes level in Generations. Would rather have Final Fortress, love that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom