• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a massive fan of DBZ myself but Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3 have given me many hours of multiplayer fun so it's all good.
Never got on as well with Budokai 3, that dragon rush system is just plain shit.

geez when did you guys became so cynical?
I've always been cynical!

And I don't dislike DBZ, I just don't care for it. It isn't my scene. Ergo, I've avoided the fighting games, because I don't think playing a licensed game based on a license I don't much care about is the right way to spend my money. I do recognize they're considered good games, at least.

Shadow Hog is the new Dark Schala
Well, if it stops people from claiming she doesn't like anything, I will gladly take up this burden.

Budokai was very fun to watch, I remember in high school, a group of freshmen/sophmores would play videogames (Mainly Budokai) in one of the classrooms (The teacher was cool with it) during lunch and I'd just watch them.

Kokonoe

Banned
Tenkaichi 2 is the only entry I like from that sub series.

I prefer Budokai 3.

All you like? or all you've played? Tenkaichi 3 actually improves on the gameplay itself.

I actually prefer Infinite World over Budokai 3, it's literally the same game just without Dragon Rush. (I think that's what it's called?)

Budokai 3 was the shit.

I like the Budokai series, and I know GAF loves it, but I noticed a lot of people on GAF didn't even play the Tenkaichi series just because it wasn't a 2D fighting game but a third person one. It's honestly amazing game, even if you don't like DBZ.

I'd say DBZ Budokai is sorta like Tekken, although not quite.

Not a massive fan of DBZ myself but Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3 have given me many hours of multiplayer fun so it's all good.
Never got on as well with Budokai 3, that dragon rush system is just plain shit.

Thank you. I couldn't stand that rock paper scissors random stuff. It's just, it adds up, you have to keep doing it over and over as the match goes on. Very time consuming to watch that go on.

All you like? or all you've played? Tenkaichi 3 actually improves on the gameplay itself.

I actually prefer Infinite World over Budokai 3, it's literally the same game just without Dragon Rush. (I think that's what it's called?)

I like the Budokai series, and I know GAF loves it, but I noticed a lot of people on GAF didn't even play the Tenkaichi series just because it wasn't a 2D fighting game but a third person one. It's honestly amazing game, even if you don't like DBZ.

I'd say DBZ Budokai is sorta like Tekken, although not quite.

It's the only one I really like. Tenkaichi 1 isn't all that great, and the sequels make it more apparent, and Tenkaichi 3 was just felt like more of the same, with a bunch of characters I'll never play as lumped on top. 2 struck a nice middle ground for me. Not to mention I'm not really a big fan of the gameplay in general. It's a good DBZ simulator of sorts, but I prefer the more traditional fighters.

Infinite World is better than Budokai 3, but B3 is the only DBZ game I can really ever get my friends to play these days, so it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Those Budokai bozos skipping out on Tenkaichi because of pure fighting nonsense don't know what they're missing, BT far more accurately gives you the DBZ experience of punching dudes through cliffs, Budokai 3 makes you guess which button the other guy is going to press up to three times in a row wrapped up in a basic 3D fighting game.
Even if they are more strictly better actual fighters than the Tenkaichi games I still standby Tenkaichi being more worthwhile on the grounds of simply being better at being like DBZ, why else would I be playing a DBZ game.

Not that I dislike Budokai 3 or anything, the into song was ridiculously catchy.

Shadow Hog will be the new me when he gets threads on other sites mentioning how much of a meanie he is for being mean to a game.

Games have feelings, you know!
I can't tell if this is amazing or terrible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Considering the series (DB, at least) came out in 1986, and they didn't start making DBZ games in Japan until the 1990s, I'd say... almost sixty? Including the arcade games, anyway.

Well, if it stops people from claiming she doesn't like anything, I will gladly take up this burden.
Awww. :)

Nah, it just surprised me a little today, though perhaps it has to do more with the tone and semantics I use than anything else. I can deal, otherwise. That doesn't preclude me from getting irritated with it happening and mentioning that I'm irritated with it happening.

I can't tell if this is amazing or terrible.
It's pretty funny, actually.

After playing the Tenkaichi series, I honestly can never go back to Budokai. It's too much fun actually playing like you're in the DBZ universe instead of just using DBZ characters in a fighting game.

2971_1211420626348_500_280.jpg

I don't care for DBZ.

fixed

Well, personally I found having a DBZ game that plays exactly like the show turned out to be far more boring than it sounds, but to each their own!

Village

Hmm Sonic related.

Me and some friends were Playing were playing a mario and sonic Olympics game for some reason.

And we had the usual who is worst sonic character conversation.

I think Sonic might be shittiest sonic friend actually. I gave it some though, dude is kinda lame.

Like When you don't separate sonic from like the rest of his friends, he is pretty shitty too, actually one of the shittiest.

Oooh, oooh, can I continue being an evil jaded curmudgeon?

I didn't really get into Tales of Symphonia. Played it for a while and then just kinda stopped. Didn't bother with a Tales game after that.

But then I do that for most games these days, and it didn't seem awful or anything - reminded me a lot of Skies of Arcadia for whatever reason.

I played Symphonia when it came out on the GCN all those years ago.

I remember enjoying it, but my goodness I can't for the life of me remember anything else about it.

Except the coffee scene, that was hilarious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've got to know, Which game did you cruelly bully into submission?
If I had to guess:
all of them

also,
Tales of
Yep. Only interest to hate on anything about some series. Exaggerating small faults! Changing agendas! You're not helping the game sell at all! You're going to hurt the game in the end! People will pay attention to what you say, and no game should be treated that way because they deserve to sell! If a game is overwhelmingly being treated in a positive light, you're not allowed to suggest that there are some flaws here and there because that's mean.

All of them.
Though I get that more on GAF than anything. :V

I'm not Derrick-quality, but I'm told that I'm tougher than I should be and that some people wish I would be nicer in some cases and wax poetic about certain things despite disagreeing.

Oooh, oooh, can I continue being an evil jaded curmudgeon?

I didn't really get into Tales of Symphonia. Played it for a while and then just kinda stopped. Didn't bother with a Tales game after that.
That's fine. I felt that Symphonia's opening bits were weak. The game didn't even click with me until the second half because of its initial pacing. It's reasonable for people to drop it.

Symphonia's a nice entry for some people, but I think Vesperia or Xillia might be the better ones. Xillia, maybe, because it's more straight-to-the-point and doesn't have a ton of baggage in terms of quests (even if there are timed fetch quests). But overall, it's fairly linear and short.

qq more

Hmm Sonic related.

Me and some friends were Playing were playing a mario and sonic Olympics game for some reason.

I think Sonic might be shittiest sonic friend actually. I gave it some though, dude is kinda lame.

Like When you don't separate sonic from like the rest of his friends, he is pretty shitty too, actually one of the shittiest.

...okay?

If I had to guess:
all of them

All of them.

Oh you guys.

also,
Tales of

I'm guessing this but I looked in a recent thread related to this earlier and saw no overly critical game bashing that would cause anyone despair, I even saw the princess say something along the lines of it still being good/decent so...surely not?

The twist at the end of this is that it was DKC2/R and I was the one complaining all along

oh, we now have confirmation, REALLY? REALLY?! This is so overblown i'm using a freaking Miz catchphrase if it's really from the posts in the Xillia trailer thread.

Hmm Sonic related.

....No, I can't say that he is, Sonic is a pretty chill guy and not particularly shitty, occasionally says the odd outdated or just plain awful quip but otherwise i'm not seeing how he's the real shitty friend.

Unless you mean for constantly killing Tails in sonic 2 for his own amusement or benefit, that's another kind of shitty friend.

I'm not Derrick-quality, but I'm told that I'm tougher than I should be and that some people wish I would be nicer in some cases and wax poetic about certain things despite disagreeing.

I didn't even realize he was gone until someone pointed it out to me.

....No, I can't say that he is, Sonic is a pretty chill guy and not particularly shitty, occasionally says the odd outdated or just plain awful quip but otherwise i'm not seeing how he's the real shitty friend.

Unless you mean for constantly killing Tails in sonic 2 for his own amusement or benefit, that's another kind of shitty friend.

By occasionally, you mean almost every line of dialogue in Colours, right?

Village

Yes sonic is a douche .

But that is an entirely different conversation, we need to have.

Its Odd. I feel as though Sonic himself never benefited from the switch to 3d, as more characters were added, the shittier and shitter and more plain he became.

Its very odd.

Everyone else seems to have a thing, his is essentially " I was here first". Its very... boring.

Hmm he isn't big the cat mind you, but sonic ain't much to shake a stick at ya know.

I kind feel bad for tails for having to play 2nd fiddle. While ( imo at least ) being superior idea.

Sonic is... a gen 1 starter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nah, man. It's because everyone gets better powers than Sonic because he can't fly.

Also, Derrick's gone?! :O

oh, we now have confirmation, REALLY? REALLY?! This is so overblown i'm using a freaking Miz catchphrase if it's really from the posts in the Xillia trailer thread.
Nah, though apparently I implied that the game wasn't good again. I wouldn't have played the dang thing four times and platinumed it twice if I actively disliked it.

Oh, I forgot one other thing! "If you don't have anything nice to say, or if you don't like it, then you shouldn't say anything at all!" It just detracts from people who want to be positive about the game, so just be quiet. Went into something about childish negativity. It had me gigglin' after a while.

I want to become internet famous. Give me a game to rag on.
It has to either be a sacred cow, or a game from a series that is rarely localized.

qq more

Its Odd. I feel as though Sonic himself never benefited from the switch to 3d, as more characters were added, the shittier and shitter and more plain he became.

Its very odd.

Everyone else seems to have a thing, his is essentially " I was here first". Its very... boring.

Hmm he isn't big the cat mind you, but sonic ain't much to shake a stick at ya know.

I kind feel bad for tails for having to play 2nd fiddle. While ( imo at least ) being superior idea.

I don't get it. You're suggesting that Sonic should have new abilities? Because like... that has always been the case. Homing Attack, Boost, Slide, etc

Village

Nah, man. It's because everyone gets better powers than Sonic because he can't fly.

Nah, though apparently I implied that the game wasn't good again. I wouldn't have played the dang thing four times and platinumed it twice if I actively disliked it.

Oh, I forgot one other thing! "If you don't have anything nice to say, or if you don't like it, then you shouldn't say anything at all!" It just detracts from people who want to be positive about the game, so just be quiet. Went into something about childish negativity. It had me gigglin' after a while.

It has to either be a sacred cow, or a game from a series that is rarely localized.

OH Fa real?

I do not like rare games like all of them, where my fame at.

I don't get it. You're suggesting that Sonic should have new abilities? Because like... that has always been the case. Homing Attack, Boost, Slide, etc

For that reason, he is a very good underdog.
n

But to clarify on my last statement.

sonic is like a gen 1 starter, He was first and that was cool. But then they made, some were stronger and more powerful and some look cooler. Then ya got the kids who were introduced part way though so do not even care about your starter. When given the choice, you wouldn't use it for any practical reason. But it was first. I am not saying that isn't a legitimate reason. However if sega came out with a game where they had a bunch of characters in it , and they all worked well. everything that made the character special had been perfectly used in a functioning game mechanic sonic would loose a lot of his appeal. Now people can associate more of his friends with good game play mechanics, and give whoever a fair shot. He is first, very important, but that is it. Its kind of a hollow victory.

That said comic book sonic is a baus, cuz he gots flawz

Yes sonic is a douche .

But that is an entirely different conversation, we need to have.

Its very odd.

Designated Protagonist Syndrome.

Yeah, I miss him too.

He told like it was.

He'll be back in August.

By occasionally, you mean almost every line of dialogue in Colours, right?
At his own expense to the point even Tails can call him out on his BBBE's
Not going to lie, I liked it.

I don't know, he might not be as awesome as Charmeleon.

I want to become internet famous. Give me a game to rag on.

The Last of Us, do it now under the pretence of having an early copy and you will gain notoriety of biblical proportions.

Village

Yeah.

If they ever figure out all the gameplay mechanics they need to to make a muli charactered sonic game again. Different stories and everything. And just chain Ian in a basement and force him to write it.

Sonic himself his popularity might take a nose dive,

though sonic the arrogant jerk is pretty interesting to be quite fair. Though Shadow the attracts annoying children to bother him , and tails the cynical genius are far funnier.

^ Thats is why I like Ian so much.

Village

That's what he's like in the OVA and Sonic X as well. I like him like that.

Eh, not to degree in which he is in colored. And especially in the comics. The latter putting sonic in complete ass hole territory from time to time.

Tails is what interested me a lot though. It started before Ian but Ian took it to another level, he got cynical sarcastic genius fast.. like cynical cranked to Yahtzee on some occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom