• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

I imagine a lot of these kinds of rushed development talks went down in creating some of those Gamecube games

"We're remaking OoT with a cartoony art style and sailing, and we're doing it in 24 months!"

"Scratch that, we're doing it in 20 months now! Throw out those dungeons, please."

"Good news and bad news, folks. Bad news is, we're doing the game in 18 months now! Good news, I just thought of an idea of how to pad out the end of the game!"

--

"Hey Retro, how's our favorite Western studio? Sooooo, we just looked at the old calendar here for the upcoming holiday season and we realized, 'Hey, PS2 has MGS3 and GTA: SA, Xbox has Halo 2, PC has Half-Life 2 and Doom 3...we should have a big exclusive of our own!' So, we'll gonna release Metroid Prime 2 by Nov. 15 of this year, how's that sound?"

"That's...that's three months away, I-I mean that's not enough time, we only 30% into completion, it's imposs-"

"30% away from completion! Sounds great, we're looking forward to it!"

--

That's why I always kinda laugh at this "aw yiss panic mode Nintendo is best Nintendo" mentality. Enjoy your quickly-made NSMBs and rushed first-party titles!

I think "panic-mode" implies going outside of their comfort zones, considering Prime and Wind Waker were both of the likes of which fans hadn't seen or expected from Metroid or Zelda.

I understand what you're getting at though.

EDIT: Jesus Schala, don't touch X7.

Kokonoe

Banned
Those deaths can be a pain. Especially when you're speeding then you run into a wall but only to be squished by an incoming vertical-moving platform.

Yeah, that's what I liked about Generations, they removed that. You only lose rings or die if you don't have rings. You get cartoonish squished.

qq more

Yeah, that's what I liked about Generations, they removed that. You only lose rings or die if you don't have rings. You get cartoonish squished.

In speaking of death by being squashed... I remember this one annoying death in Marble Zone 2 (or 3) where you can easily get killed if you stopped rolling between the lava and the platform above you. I'll take a snapshot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In speaking of death by being squashed... I remember this one annoying death in Marble Zone 2 (or 3) where you can easily get killed if you stopped rolling between the lava and the platform above you. I'll take a snapshot.
I TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT MARBLE ZONE.

Seriously, you're all, "Bu-bu-bu... Marble Zone isn't that bad!"

[insert 200 posts complaining about Marble Zone]

"But seriously, guys, Marble Zone isn't that bad."

That's why I always kinda laugh at this "aw yiss panic mode Nintendo is best Nintendo" mentality. Enjoy your quickly-made NSMBs and rushed first-party titles!

We saw some of it pop up in Mario 3D Land, too, where the back half of the game is just a "hard mode" remix of the first. People loved it that time, though.

*snipped like Generations 3DS snipped content*
You said arguably 5 stages ripped off here, Classic Genesis stages are three but what are the other 2?
A lot of this post rings truer since i've literally been playing the game in the last half hour, so i'm pretty much just nodding in approval.

I imagine a lot of these kinds of rushed development talks went down in creating some of those Gamecube games

"We're remaking OoT with a cartoony art style and sailing, and we're doing it in 24 months!"

"Scratch that, we're doing it in 20 months now! Throw out those dungeons, please."

"Good news and bad news, folks. Bad news is, we're doing the game in 18 months now! Good news, I just thought of an idea of how to pad out the end of the game!"

--

"Hey Retro, how's our favorite Western studio? Sooooo, we just looked at the old calendar here for the upcoming holiday season and we realized, 'Hey, PS2 has MGS3 and GTA: SA, Xbox has Halo 2, PC has Half-Life 2 and Doom 3...we should have a big exclusive of our own!' So, we'll gonna release Metroid Prime 2 by Nov. 15 of this year, how's that sound?"

"That's...that's three months away, I-I mean that's not enough time, we only 30% into completion, it's imposs-"

"30% away from completion! Sounds great, we're looking forward to it!"

--

Wind Waker going from potential best Zelda to having the whole last half of the game basically drop off into non existence is brutal, it's all downhill once you smash the Helmaroc King's beak in, unfortunately the remake is clearly going to be a rushed game as well (true to the spirit of the original at least) so fat chance they fix things.

Panic mode Nintendo is making me expect a Mario more like 3D Land and less like Galaxy, hopefully i'm wrong but I only have to look at the journey of Pikmin 3 to be filled with apprehension.

I actually like those signs myself, although I know I'm the minority on that part. I don't even want to guess if a pit is going to kill me or not.

I also like not dying in one hit from being squished.
All of my agreement, swift crushers damn near give me heart attacks.

Kokonoe

Banned
Speaking of awful zones, Marble Garden Zone is dreadful. Playing it yesterday, and although I've played Sonic 3 a billion times, you could pass the level off as a Dimps level.

Random enemies that pop out of nowhere with no warning, tons of spikes all over the place, tons of spike balls, and no hints at anything. Just pure annoyance. The rest of Sonic 3 is great, but I can't stand that zone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You said arguably 5 stages ripped off here, Classic Genesis stages are three but what are the other 2?
A lot of this post rings truer since i've literally been playing the game in the last half hour, so i'm pretty much just nodding in approval.
Modern Water Palace, and arguably Modern Mushroom Hill at some points.

Edit: Oh, yeah Tropical Resort Act 1 would be another one.

qq more

Water Palace Act 2 (Classic Sonic's was original, Modern Sonic's was ripped)
Tropical Resort Act 1

I TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT MARBLE ZONE.

Seriously, you're all, "Bu-bu-bu... Marble Zone isn't that bad!"

[insert 200 posts complaining about Marble Zone]

"But seriously, guys, Marble Zone isn't that bad."

To be fair, that death is caused by me rushing through the level due to time attack. It's a god awful level to time attack in.

It's an okay level when you aren't trying to breeze through. (except for that awful Act 3, it was always terrible. ALWAYS). But yeah, I see the hate being warranted after replaying this game.

And so here is this death I was speaking of

squashed.png

Speaking of awful zones, Marble Garden Zone is dreadful. Playing it yesterday, and although I've played Sonic 3 a billion times, you could pass the level off as a Dimps level.

Random enemies that pop out of nowhere with no warning, tons of spikes all over the place, tons of spike balls, and no hints at anything. Just pure annoyance. The rest of Sonic 3 is great, but I can't stand that zone.
...I think I should replay actually Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I remember being okay with this level but it's been years, so...

Marble is totally a cursed zone name.

I actually grow to like Marble Garden a little more each time I play it but I have to agree with those points, that and the whole disc platform gimmick is just strange and unusual.

Modern Water Palace, and arguably Modern Mushroom Hill at some points.
It's been too long since I played Rush so I figured that might've been one.
Mushroom Hill totally has its own brand spanking new section towards the end though, remember the bit where you hit a grind rail, hold boost and do literally nothing else? Dimps are masters of their craft.

Tropical Resort Act 1 seems very much its own stage though, notably it lacks the hang glider and has homing attacking across fireworks.

We saw some of it pop up in Mario 3D Land, too, where the back half of the game is just a "hard mode" remix of the first. People loved it that time, though.

That makes me wonder about the inevitable Super Mario U they'll reveal this year(and will probably be out this holiday). They did Super Mario 3D Land, still using them Galaxy assets, remixing half the game over again, that was what, just a year a half ago? I can't imagine a proper brand-spanking new HD Mario is getting the proper development time it deserves.

I'm gonna laugh if it's Super Mario Galaxy 3 on Tuesday(and it'll probably be awesome anyway if SMG2 is anything to go by)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq, just admit that Marble Zone ain't all hot like you probably want to say!

It's been too long since I played Rush so I figured that might've been one.
Mushroom Hill totally has its own brand spanking new section towards the end though, remember the bit where you hit a grind rail, hold boost and do literally nothing else? Dimps are masters of their craft.

Tropical Resort Act 1 seems very much its own stage though, notably it lacks the hang glider and has homing attacking across fireworks.
Oh lord, I forgot you homing attacked across fireworks in the original. But yeah, the Genesis stuff, Modern Mushroom Hill, and Modern Water Palace are the ones I completely remember being ripped for the most part.

Hahaha, that bit about the grind rail in Modern Mushroom Hill had me giggling. Sheesh.

qq more

Tropical Resort Act 1 is basically a mix of the ripped layout from the DS game and some original elements though.

Also, has anyone actually tried to go through the rail segment in Mushroom Hill Act 2 without boosting? Try it, the death is hilarious.

qq, just admit that Marble Zone ain't all hot like you probably want to say!

Oh come on, Marble Zone is actually my 2nd least favorite zone in the entire game.

Actually, I've grown to "liking" Labyrinth Zone a little bit more lately... it's a lot less tedious to speedrun in compared to Marble Zone despite being underwater a lot.

They're kind of neck and neck.

nns3d

who can resist a bit of F Zero X?

F-Zero X is gawdly, I'm tryna cop the GC F-Zero game too.

ontopic, the level designs in Sonic Generations 3DS were pretty bad, I recall some parts of the Radical Highway level were just straight lines hahah.

I like Marble Garden because of all the Special Rings it contains.

yeah exactly! Plus Marble Garden Zone had that cool fight in the sky with Eggman.

The only classic Sonic level I'm not too big on is Metropolis. Then again I'm not a big fan of Sonic 2.

Whoa, Marble Garden Zone hate, not here for that

(yes, it has a lot of fucking spikes/grasshoppers popping out of the ground everywhere though, so fly and spindash into everything)

Generic Base Zone is the one that should be getting all the dislikes

フランス語を読めないから、英語で下さい^^

f̈́̾ͯͯ̄ͮͮͩ̚͏̵͈̹̺͙̟̠ͅu̧̻͇̟̣̤̗̝͋̍̊ͧ̽̒͗͗c̶̣͛͘͡k͙̠͍̯̆̈́̎̽̊ͧ̒͘͞ ̉ͮ͛ͮ̉̚҉͉̰̯͕͔̹̘͞ỳ̴̯͈̬̥̪͉̙͒̕o̹͍̰̱̟͕͕͍̖͛̒͗̉̈́̂ͥ͂u̗̫̍̑̒ ̸͚͇̳̬̥̅̀̽̔͛̽g̳̬͎͓̦̃̉͒̔̋̽ȕ̶̝̮̪͓͓͎̕ỵ͕̤̮̝̽̚s̪̹̬͈͙͎̣̬̼ͭͩ ̷̜̹͖̇̓̈̑̽ͥ̎ͩ́̀ạ̧̹͙͂ͭn̲͎̦͉̦͑͗d̓ͫ̌͏̩͍̪̠͓̰̞ ̡̘̳̲̤͔͓̬̩ͭ̄̽͊ͩy̭͎ͫ̎ͫ̆̔̓͆̀ö̶̶̲̮̖̣̬͈̰̑͋̊ͅu̢̻͌ͧͬ̈ͪ́r̡̗̦̩̼̱̿̐͐̓ͬ̿̇̉̏́ ̯̼͈͚̂̔̒͆̀ͅf̩̘̗ͤͣ͂̽̏͊̅a̧̝̦̱͔͎̦ͣ̆̐͛͑̉̽ͥ͊͝ͅň̷͉̥̞̜ͥ͒͑͛̑c͓͚͔̺̔̓̾͂̃̀̔͢y̤̥͇̳̫͙̝̾ͥ͆̉̓ͣͣ ͕̤̍̐̉̽͊͗̿ͅl̶͍̙̠̺̠̬͎̞͒̕ȁ̶̹͚̤̀ͦ̅̂͢͡n̠͈ͧͨͯͩ̀ͣg̗͓̘̮͓͋̿́͐̔̕ư̜̄ͨͬ͌̂̾̏̀͢a̙͇̬̾ͬ̾̔͞g̶̖̞̩̲̭̟̲̤̒ͤ͐͞ȩ̘̦̪̹͕̱̫̇͂̀ͥ̂ͫ̅͑ͦ

f̈́̾ͯͯ̄ͮͮͩ̚͏̵͈̹̺͙̟̠ͅu̧̻͇̟̣̤̗̝͋̍̊ͧ̽̒͗͗c̶̣͛͘͡k͙̠͍̯̆̈́̎̽̊ͧ̒͘͞ ̉ͮ͛ͮ̉̚҉͉̰̯͕͔̹̘͞ỳ̴̯͈̬̥̪͉̙͒̕o̹͍̰̱̟͕͕͍̖͛̒͗̉̈́̂ͥ͂u̗̫̍̑̒ ̸͚͇̳̬̥̅̀̽̔͛̽g̳̬͎͓̦̃̉͒̔̋̽ȕ̶̝̮̪͓͓͎̕ỵ͕̤̮̝̽̚s̪̹̬͈͙͎̣̬̼ͭͩ ̷̜̹͖̇̓̈̑̽ͥ̎ͩ́̀ạ̧̹͙͂ͭn̲͎̦͉̦͑͗d̓ͫ̌͏̩͍̪̠͓̰̞ ̡̘̳̲̤͔͓̬̩ͭ̄̽͊ͩy̭͎ͫ̎ͫ̆̔̓͆̀ö̶̶̲̮̖̣̬͈̰̑͋̊ͅu̢̻͌ͧͬ̈ͪ́r̡̗̦̩̼̱̿̐͐̓ͬ̿̇̉̏́ ̯̼͈͚̂̔̒͆̀ͅf̩̘̗ͤͣ͂̽̏͊̅a̧̝̦̱͔͎̦ͣ̆̐͛͑̉̽ͥ͊͝ͅň̷͉̥̞̜ͥ͒͑͛̑c͓͚͔̺̔̓̾͂̃̀̔͢y̤̥͇̳̫͙̝̾ͥ͆̉̓ͣͣ ͕̤̍̐̉̽͊͗̿ͅl̶͍̙̠̺̠̬͎̞͒̕ȁ̶̹͚̤̀ͦ̅̂͢͡n̠͈ͧͨͯͩ̀ͣg̗͓̘̮͓͋̿́͐̔̕ư̜̄ͨͬ͌̂̾̏̀͢a̙͇̬̾ͬ̾̔͞g̶̖̞̩̲̭̟̲̤̒ͤ͐͞ȩ̘̦̪̹͕̱̫̇͂̀ͥ̂ͫ̅͑ͦ
クトゥルフ語も無理よ、うわぁぁぁあぁあぁぢぃqtwふぁsyvjぎおあうgt

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fuck you, too, spring.
You'd probably be interested in what Blaze posted a little bit ago here. I know he'd post it here eventually, but some of it needed to be said.

Edit: Oy, I'm gonna take one of my comfort food games out for a spin. (Fuck it, I moved on to Yoshi's Island because it's cute and reminds me of when I was 7 and didn't care nearly as much about stuff.)

Currently making the thread that I've been meaning to make for at least a year now (even going so far as to capture some footage/caps for the darn thing). Noi knows what's up. I'm in the mood for it now, and it's one of my favourite games to play in the summer. Meccanical might be interested, now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom