• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi, have a gif to cheer up. If your phone can handle it which is what I'm assuming you're on.

Yo, Meccanical, I told you that you would be interested in this thread I'm making (probably not going to post it this week considering it'll definitely be drowned out by E3 coverage).

http://abload.de/img/pyropummel.gif7rujq.gif

This is why I don't make gifs. That Shoryuken Tornado Flame almost killed gifcam, too. So... I don't think I'll be adding gifs to the OP. I'll just add 'em in updates. (Legend of Legaia, for folks who are unaware. Edit: Ah, new page for 50ppp post people, so I'll just make it a link instead, so people don't have to scroll through that.)

Kokonoe

Banned
^ Schala, you don't have to worry about posting gifs.

I'm still amazed anyone said it was better than Ep1. I mean Ep1 was kinda middling at best, but Ep2 was a mess.

This, this, and more of this.

I have a feeling the initial impression soured those who played Sonic 4 the first time, well those who didn't like it I mean, but Sonic Episode II has bosses that last 6+ minutes, more awful design, and a "new move" that completely replaces the spinball while the spinball is still in the game.

It has better graphics, but the level design is worse and the bosses are MUCH worse.

PKrockin

^ Well, Episode 1 did nothing but recycle things from old Sonic games, even the final boss. That was pretty flagrantly offensive.

I played Sonic 4 Ep 2 for the first time a moment ago.

...what mess of a game is this?

Mostly just a bland and boring mess. Mostly I feel like I'm playing a flash game like that Fancy Pants Adventure Newgrounds game from the early 2000s. Mostly I hate the boss battles, since they're so long and boring. The boss music looping every 20 seconds doesn't help make it feel any shorter, either.

5 of the Suckret Rings obtained now, and I've never been so infuriated at a game in my life. You guys are wrong, I have 100 SP and the controls don't get better with skills. Having a longer range and faster recovery on homing attacks doesn't help when it's still extremely delayed and often unresponsive. Even if the controls were better, everything else about this game blows ass, from the visuals to the music to the (lack of) levels to the presentation.

Noi, have a gif to cheer up. If your phone can handle it which is what I'm assuming you're on.

Yo, Meccanical, I told you that you would be interested in this thread I'm making (probably not going to post it this week considering it'll definitely be drowned out by E3 coverage).

http://abload.de/img/pyropummel.gif7rujq.gif

This is why I don't make gifs. That Shoryuken Tornado Flame almost killed gifcam, too. So... I don't think I'll be adding gifs to the OP. I'll just add 'em in updates. (Legend of Legaia, for folks who are unaware. Edit: Ah, new page for 50ppp post people, so I'll just make it a link instead, so people don't have to scroll through that.)

I can make gifs as long as I have the footage. I don't need that Gifcam crutch, either.

qq more

I hated both episodes but I find 2 slightly better than 1. At the same time, I can easily see why anyone can consider 1 much better than 2.

With that said though, I think we all can agree that Episode Metal is the worst. What a shame because we were finally able to play as the badass Metal Sonic but we get this mess...

I hated both episodes but I find 2 slightly better than 1. At the same time, I can easily see why anyone can consider 1 much better than 2.

With that said though, I think we all can agree that Episode Metal is the worst. What a shame because we were finally able to play as the badass Metal Sonic but we get this mess...

Episode 2 has the Walrus...thus it is awful...wait why are we talking about this again...play good Sonic games and think happy thoughts.

I think i'd dare to say that Episode 2 does have the higher highs, please note that said highs aren't actually high at all. But overall it has a lot of worse points that drag it right back down, mainly bosses and sky fortress act 1.
Tails team up move is ridiculous though in a bad way, as if Sonic 4's physics weren't botched enough you then have this monstrosity playing by its own set of strange rules.

Really both episodes are as mediocre as each other.

Kokonoe

Banned
I actually grow to like Marble Garden a little more each time I play it but I have to agree with those points, that and the whole disc platform gimmick is just strange and unusual.

I actually noticed one of the disc parts, I believe in Act 2, actually launched me directly at an enemy the second I got on it. It flings you into the tunnel and spits you out, then there goes the floaty porcupine robot thing.

I usually play through Marble Garden Zone fine, but I was playing over netplay on a emulator co-op, and although it wasn't really lagging, any kind of latency in Sonic just throws me off so I was in the spike underworld.

Well, least Marble Garden Zone has great music. It's a shame Sonic 3 to my knowledge didn't have this done to it.

http://sonicstyle.org/music/snk_sth3/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, qq, I'd failed to tell you that I beat Xtreme last week or the week before, I don't remember. I still stand by what I said. I didn't have a good time with it, and I still feel the same way I do.

I have this.

dsc006801uqznnyzjg.jpg

But eff that! I've suffered enough (seriously, I'm suffering enough because I'm playing Ni no Kuni; don't propose that I play more games I don't like very much).

I can make gifs as long as I have the footage. I don't need that Gifcam crutch, either.
What do you use? If it's GIMP, there should be a tutorial somewhere out there.

Regardless, I'm not gonna stick a buncha gifs in the OP. It's just a GAF Plays thread, and I assume that it's not going to get a lot of people stopping in since the game isn't on PSN for... some... weird reason. So... I'm not gonna put a lot into this.

Really both episodes are as mediocre as each other.
And that's what it boils down to. Neither game is remarkable, and both act like games on the same plane of mediocrity--both games are unremarkable, but one does some things better than the other and vice-versa.

Regardless, I don't think I'd ever revisit either of those in a hurry.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They're all irritating to play. But I'll keep my opinion to myself until I can express it in another venue of conversation, qq. Though you know exactly what I'm going to say.

Typing up Adventure Time 3DS impressions. I think it's really too bad that it's kinda easy, and it's really too bad that it's short. I've never seen the show before, so whatever I know about the characters is basically limited to in-game stuff. Blaze wasn't lying when he said he'd heard it was 4-5 hours. That's about the time it took me to finish it off, too.

It's amazing how time away from GAF/Internet has allowed for more room to play games.

iavi

What's the going opinion on X8 around here, though? I actually thought it was a bit of a return to form. It was no X 1-3, or even 4, but sure as hell better than 5,6,7

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah, Avidemux + something else always sounded like a good combo. Much better than gifcam. Thanks, guys.

What's the going opinion on X8 around here, though? I actually thought it was a bit of a return to form. It was no X 1-3, or even 4, but sure as hell better than 5,6,7
I think X8's pretty darn good, though to be fair, it's been a while since I've played it. I remember absolutely adoring the fact that it embraced the Mega Man design that I'd wanted on the platform as opposed to X7's approach. The story wasn't too bad, either. So, yeah, good game.

It was supposed to be next on my list of Mega Man replays, but I figured I'd move on to something new first.

That's usually how it works.

If I'm ever away from GAF for a long time, it's because I'm playing games, lol.
Yeah, I'm pretty amazed with how much stuff I got done over the past fortnight! Knocked a lot of those portable and Wii games I had sitting in my backlog out.

I wonder if the whole "GAF doesn't play games; they talk about them" thing rings true.

Edit: I told you that you'd be excited! I'm eager to start it up, myself.

That's supposed to be Lost Levels, sorry lol

You must beat ALL the worlds, even the ones that come after world 9!
So that means no cheating since if you cheat, you can't get to world 9!

qq more

That's supposed to be Lost Levels, sorry lol

You must beat ALL the worlds, even the ones that come after world 9!
So that means no cheating since if you cheat, you can't get to world 9!
Oh, right... shit... D:

I've just realized FF2 is referring to the NES game and not FF4. ...I guess I can finally see what this game is all about.

Oh, right... shit... D:

I've just realized FF2 is referring to the NES game and not FF4. ...I guess I can finally see what this game is all about.

It's the worst experience ever...FF2 actively tries to beat you down and crush your soul. It makes XIII look like a masterpiece.

Is this also the game where you can beat up your own party members for exp?

Yea but I think that's mainly in the NES version, I think they kind of fixed that in the GBA/PS1 releases...it's still a terrible game to get through. Oh and don't try wandering off the beaten path or else you're gonna get a GAME OVER.

qq more

If you're doing that, you're playing the game wrong and poorly.

qq, just play FF7.
I think I'm going to try out FF2 first since I'm so curious.

Yea but I think that's mainly in the NES version, I think they kind of fixed that in the GBA/PS1 releases...it's still a terrible game to get through. Oh and don't try wandering off the beaten path or else you're gonna get a GAME OVER.
Is it one of those games where if you wander off a bit in the overworld, you'll suddenly face monsters that are many levels above you?

EDIT: Also which version of Bubsy would you recommend? (why am I doing this to myself?)

If you're doing that, you're playing the game wrong and poorly.

qq, just play FF7.

Only after he suffers through II. Now shoo!

I think I'm going to try out FF2 first since I'm so curious.

Is it one of those games where if you wander off a bit in the overworld, you'll suddenly face monsters that are many levels above you?

EDIT: Also which version of Bubsy would you recommend? (why am I doing this to myself?)

Yea, that's the game. Talk about a rude awakening.

I would play the first one and the Genesis version because well...the Genesis is just so much better because it's the Genesis.

Just beat DKCR3D. Thank fuck I don't have to do any more shitty boss battles.

Well, OK, the final boss was pretty good I thought. But the rest... man.

Huh, my Japanese 3DS suddenly decided to start working again. That really made my day.

I still need to pick up DKCR3D. Maybe later this month.

Just beat DKCR3D. Thank fuck I don't have to do any more shitty boss battles.

Well, OK, the final boss was pretty good I thought. But the rest... man.
Thugly and Feather Fiend (Chicken Walker) are pretty bad, i'm not a fan of those two at all. Tiki Tong can be a bit of a git but the moment you find out you can bounce on his hands pre clap attack is the moment the tides turn.
Mangoruby however is top stuff, I wish all the bosses could be as platforming focused as that one.

Oh, that was OK! I think the small screen didn't help for that, though. Not always obvious when a mole is about to pop up.
Best tip I ever heard for that, the boss mole wont pop out of the first cart you see him shake if I recall, well it worked for me here.

It's tough to top the fun boss battles of DKC2 to be honest.
You know I don't actually rate those bosses all that much, Kaptain K.Rool is good for a final showdown as well as his gun firing everything but the kitchen sink but otherwise i'm actually happier with jumping on a derpy beavers head and getting it out of the way in like less than a minute.

Best boss stage is stronghold showdown, get it? because there is no boss! (unless you're playing the GBA version, then you get an abomination)

qq more

Before I start on those games, I'm going to finish Super Metroid and the first disc of Shenmue (I'll continue playing Shenmue during all of this though)

Thugly and Feather Fiend (Chicken Walker) are pretty bad, i'm not a fan of those two at all.
Mangoruby however is top stuff, I wish all the bosses could be as platforming focused as that one.

Best tip I ever heard for that, the boss mole wont pop out of the first cart you see him shake if I recall, well it worked for me here.

You know I don't actually rate those bosses all that much, Kaptain K.Rool is good for a final showdown as well as his gun firing everything but the kitchen sink but otherwise i'm actually happier with jumping on a derpy beavers head and getting it out of the way in like less than a minute.

Best boss stage is stronghold showdown, get it? because there is no boss! (unless you're playing the GBA version, then you get an abomination)

I liked them mainly because they were all pretty creative from trying to battle a huge bee, to fighting a possessed sword...the third one was kinda good about that too but then again, they also gave us that bloody boss fight on the Nautilis...UGGGGGGH

My 3DS XL just came in, but I'm gonna wait til after E3 to start playing it

I'm as eager to play a new world of DKCR as much as I don't want to play the whole game in 30fps

Thugly and Feather Fiend (Chicken Walker) are pretty bad, i'm not a fan of those two at all. Tiki Tong can be a bit of a git but the moment you find out you can bounce on his hands pre clap attack is the moment the tides turn.

Oh, the one with the climbable wheels, right? OK, most of the bosses are crap.

That's a better track record than DKC1, where all the bosses suck.

I liked them mainly because they were all pretty creative from trying to battle a huge bee, to fighting a possessed sword...the third one was kinda good about that too but then again, they also gave us that bloody boss fight on the Nautilis...UGGGGGGH
True, they were pretty creative, I just think some could have stood to die a bit faster.
I'm not sure how I feel about DKC3 on this front, some of the bosses felt like they were trying to be a bit too clever for their own good, the Knautilus one being a prime example.

My 3DS XL just came in, but I'm gonna wait til after E3 to start playing it

I'm as eager to play a new world of DKCR as much as I don't want to play the whole game in 30fps

They're a pretty good batch of levels, not as difficult as the Temples (in fact i'd say each stage theme has a difficulty that's close to that of the world it represents) but all the stages have decent length, their own new gimmick and are worthy to stand with the rest.

30FPS is a bit of a downer, fortunately i'm not bothered too much by that stuff yet there are moments where I miss my waggle version for visual clarity.

Oh, the one with the climbable wheels, right? OK, most of the bosses are crap.

That's a better track record than DKC1, where all the bosses suck.

You talking smack about "slightly faster and bigger beaver than the other one" or "enemy gauntlet from a living steel drum"? yeah well, as I said, at least they're over quickly.
Plus the wailing the neckies make upon defeat warms my soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom