• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the going opinion on X8 around here, though? I actually thought it was a bit of a return to form. It was no X 1-3, or even 4, but sure as hell better than 5,6,7

It's pretty good, but just about any semi-competent game would look good after X6 and X7. Making a quarter of the Maverick levels shitty vehicle stages was a terrible decision.

PKrockin

Sometimes I think I'm one of those people who allegedly can't tell 30 from 60 FPS. Then I see Heroes and Secret Rings side by side and I think that would make anyone a believer.

I just played 6 straight hours of Sonic Heroes last night because it was either that or Secret Rings.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is this also the game where you can beat up your own party members for exp?

It's the game that kills you if you take one wrong square step, yet, it doesn't tell you where to go and it's very specific to where the RNG God Monsters appear and don't appear.

AKA Don't play it. Only bad FF game I've played.

-EDIT-

I meant out of the classics, FF13 is pretty bad as it progresses.

qq more

It's the game that kills you if you take one wrong square step, yet, it doesn't tell you where to go and it's very specific to where the RNG God Monsters appear and don't appear.

AKA Don't play it. Only bad FF game I've played.

-EDIT-

I meant out of the classics, FF13 is pretty bad as it progresses.

This sounds very cruel. How broken will I be by the time I beat the game?

Kokonoe

Banned
This sounds very cruel. How broken will I be by the time I beat the game?

You won't get far, I'm sure once
you walk into that beginner town and the first NPC you spot that you would want to talk to ends up being a monster that one shots your whole party, you'll end up quitting right then and there.

qq more

You won't get far, I'm sure once
you walk into that beginner town and the first NPC you spot that you would want to talk to ends up being a monster that one shots your whole party, you'll end up quitting right then and there.

This game really sounds like it's designed to piss everyone off. Yeesh.

Tigger, can we replace the game in the roster with something else?

NO. Play it now QQ, don't squirm away from the challenge. You're a man aren't you...or are a wimp? If you don't play it, I'm changing your avatar.

qq more

NO. Play it now QQ, don't squirm away from the challenge. You're a man aren't you...or are a wimp? If you don't play it, I'm changing your avatar.

I'm a man! I'll play and beat this game!

...Hey! Wait when did this became an avatar bet?

Hey wait a minute... why is FFV listed? I actually like little of what I've played of the game :O

I'm a man! I'll play and beat this game!

...Hey! Wait when did this became an avatar bet?

Hey wait a minute... why is FFV listed? I actually like little of what I've played of the game :O

Because you agreed to it already. Don't argue, it's too late.

I listed FF V, because...well that game is actually darn tough if you don't know what you're doing but hey, it is kinda fun.

qq more

Because you agreed to it already. Don't argue, it's too late.

I listed FF V, because...well that game is actually darn tough if you don't know what you're doing but hey, it is kinda fun.

oh okay

I think I'm gonna try FFII first. I'm so dead curious about that game.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is qq more a man? or he is a babby? Find out: "qq more plays FF2".

By the way, tiggerkiddo, go beat Sonic Generations already or I'm going to give you a scolding.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
oh okay

I think I'm gonna try FFII first. I'm so dead curious about that game.
Just remember that the Toad Spell is your best friend. If you level anything up in the NES version, level that spell up. You can essentially one-shot everything with Toad. You can kill the final boss with a combination of Wall + Toad. It's because the game's extremely glitchy. If Corvo's around here somewhere, he'll tell you how that was since I think that's what he did in his FF2 run. But everyone does that in their FF2 runs. They should, anyway.

Also, I know Bean said to stop offering myself as a strategy guide to people as often as I do, but... if you're stuck, let me know and I'll try to help out if I'm around. Just... uh, don't get irritated if I can't help due to other stuff going on.

qq more

By the way, tiggerkiddo, go beat Sonic Generations already or I'm going to give you a scolding.
What? No preview on the next scenes of "qq more plays FF2"? HMPH

Just remember that the Toad Spell is your best friend. If you level anything up in the NES version, level that spell up. You can essentially one-shot everything with Toad. You can kill the final boss with a combination of Wall + Toad. It's because the game's extremely glitchy. If Corvo's around here somewhere, he'll tell you how that was since I think that's what he did in his FF2 run. But everyone does that in their FF2 runs. They should, anyway.

Also, I know Bean said to stop offering myself as a strategy guide to people as often as I do, but... if you're stuck, let me know and I'll try to help out if I'm around. Just... uh, don't get irritated if I can't help due to other stuff going on.

Sounds too easy... hmmm...

Kokonoe

Banned
Actually, I think qq more should play one of the remakes so he can get a better feel of the game without using broken stuff like that.

I mean, It's kind of like that loophole in Sonic 2006 where you can fly everywhere with Omega. It won't give him that sense of accomplishment if he's trying to beat it, it'll just feel like Toad Man in FF2.

Wait...maybe that isn't a bad thing.

What? No preview on the next scenes of "qq more plays FF2"? HMPH

Sounds too easy... hmmm...

I have to level up my PR Speak, let me go look at those XB1 threads to find out how I should market this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, if he plays newer versions, the PS1 version of the game retains the original balance of the game, while the GBA and PSP versions of the game are much easier than the original version (substantially easier).

FF2 isn't hard at all. I know I get talked down in FF threads sometimes for playing games differently from other people and saying games aren't hard. But really, things aren't as hard as people say they are provided you go into things with a mix of caution and preparedness. Like any other RPG.

Essentially, the way you defeat the final boss is like so:

When you cast wall on someone, it will block offensive spells of equal and lower level to the original wall spell. Enemy spells are usually around level 5 when you first start out. By the end of the game, no enemy spells should be under level 9. Level 16 enemy spells are fairly common during endgame. Thus in order to make Wall actually work, you need to grind it up a ton.

So. What happens in a boss fight sometimes (and the final boss fight) is that if a spell fails, it's due to an enemy's resistance to it or the level/stats of your character are too low for it to even be effective. Thus you get no spell animation and the game will output the "ineffective" message. When wall is cast onto the enemy, and then you hit the enemy with a spell, it will still animate the spell.

You know what this means?

If you cast wall on the enemy, no matter the level, it'll still count because it's a support spell. The magic defense of the enemy does not affect whether or not the spell will hit because it is a defensive spell. Not an offensive spell. But when you cast something like Toad 1 (as long as the level of the spell is below the level of the Wall spell) on the walled enemy afterwards... the spell animates. And because the spell animates, the target monster will die, and they'll turn into a toad and hop away.

Neat, huh? They didn't factor that in when they programmed it. Thus, FF2 can be a cakewalk with knowledge of all of the glitches in mind.

It's just like some of the overflow glitches in other FFs. They're so crazy easy to manipulate into doing silly stuff. The FFMQ one is just my favourite because it's so easy to figure out. Oh, oh, might I add that FF2 gave me a better appreciation of base stats. Low EVA fucks you over sometimes. And some things in FF1 and FF2 are straight-up cribbed from D&D. So if you know your D&D stuff, it's an asset.

I just got the mythril.

That...was not easy.

I must say I was under prepared for this dungeon.

Felt like Demon's Souls, but I managed to keep everyone alive.

Huh...that's a feeling you don't get in FF often. A sense of accomplishment.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If qq more wants to play FF5, he should join in on the Fiesta like a few of us are doing in here.

Noi and I are doing stupid runs (Random, Natural, Berserker Risk). Heropon (if you're still lurking around), you're doing a Natural Crystal + 750 run, right?

I tried that once but it became a chore after awhile. I need my broken party darn it.

I did learn that the Blue Mage is more broken than a kid's toy after a lawnmower eats it.

Thankfully I beat it after awhile...I need to try out the Unleashed mod now at least.

Tizoc

Every time I see tiggerkiddo's avatar of that dark skinned Pokemon Trainer...I can't help but assume he has an entire hentai folder dedicated to her.

For that matter I need to get around to actually giving these 3DS Lost World footage a watch, but this is one game where I feel like having a major media blackout til its release =P
For now at least, how is it compared to Dimps' past work on the Sonic games? Same ol', same ol'?

Also Rockman X8 is good IMO and FF13 is a prototype.

Kokonoe

Banned
......Have you guys heard this OST yet?

Windy Valley (Sonic Adventure) - Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games

Bowser's Road (Super Mario 64) - Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games

Thankfully I beat it after awhile...I need to try out the Unleashed mod now at least.

Good. How was it?

Every time I see tiggerkiddo's avatar of that dark skinned Pokemon Trainer...I can't help but assume he has an entire hentai folder dedicated to her.

What the heck?

Kokonoe

Banned
My mind has been blown, I just found out that Knuckles had different voice actors in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2.

Generations was pretty good, I really enjoyed most of the levels too, I wish I had beaten all the challenges though...whoops!

Those can wait, especially Vector.

My mind has been blown, I just found out that Knuckles had different voice actors in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2.
Does he? I'd been under the impression that they had the same actor, but in SA1 they up-pitched his voice, while not doing the same in SA2. In SA1 betas that were late enough to have English VAs in them, Knuckles's voice is a lot deeper.

Heropon

If qq more wants to play FF5, he should join in on the Fiesta like a few of us are doing in here.

Noi and I are doing stupid runs (Random, Natural, Berserker Risk). Heropon (if you're still lurking around), you're doing a Natural Crystal + 750 run, right?

Yeah, I'm doing that run. I wanted to try one of the new challenges and I thought that combination had an interesting balance.

It seems that I answered 15 hours late, I hope it doesn't matter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was sick last night and went to bed early so I missed that whole bruhaha up there.

All I can say, since I was late to this, is to try to keep it to yourself given that some people had expressed that they were uncomfortable with it (my preference, though, is to pay little mind to it so it wouldn't become part of the centre of discussion, and so you could probably easily forget about it since it seldom happens in this thread in the first place). So try to keep how other members' feel in the thread, gauge the mood in the thread, pay attention to Member Etiquette on the board FAQ, and think before you hit Post Reply. Recall one of the reasons why this thread was created in the first place. Thank you.

And qq, I think if you tried to adhere to the bit in parentheses, you'd probably start paying less mind to certain posts. What you said was petty and unnecessary in return. You're 23, not 10. (Essentially, I'm saying "be the bigger man next time" here).

Oh, this is wildly off-topic, but that new QOTSA album? So fucking good.
So fucking good. It's a pretty darn strong album, and I'm not surprised with that considering who they have on the album as cameos.

I think Fairweather Friends was probably the lowest point on the album for me. I still love Kalopsia. Smooth Sailing sounds like a good signature QotSA song. I Appear Missing and Like Clockwork are fantastic, as well. Mind you, that's on three initial listens, and I should be giving the album more spins today.

Seriously, though? Album of the Year frontrunner at the moment.

Yeah, I'm doing that run. I wanted to try one of the new challenges and I thought that combination had an interesting balance.

It seems that I answered 15 hours late, I hope it doesn't matter.
It's all good. I went to bed kinda after making that post because I just couldn't stay up anymore. I wanted to pick the No 750 run, but then I realized that I already picked something where I probably won't know what I'm doing, so if I finish early, I'll try for a No 750 run.

I'm pretty psyched to see what Natural runs get thrown at them, myself.

Kokonoe

Banned
I get where you're coming from, but either way, that was quite the rude thing to say in the first place. I don't think the focus should entirely be on qq more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It was incredibly rude to say in the first place. Hence the spiel about Member Etiquette and thinking before posting was directed to the other party in question despite not naming names. Again, please keep stuff like that to yourself. As for qq, you know I was kidding half the time since I made the stupid 10-year-old joke I always do. Regardless, fighting petty with petty gets you nowhere in conflict resolution and he knows where I stand on that.

Anyway, let's move past that, shift gears, and talk about escalators.

This was spotted at the LA Convention Centre.

lostworldescalator15kuej.jpg
lostworldescalator236qbs.jpg

I love watching ads for E3 go up the weekend before...

TheOGB

Banned
...Holy crap it's been a long time since I've been in here. I'm in a small town in Tennessee for my grandma's 80th birthday this weekend (we came in groups from Minnesota and elsewhere in secret, then threw her a surprise party yesterday) and I've got a less than stellar internet connection (though I have been on GAF, usually entering this thread makes my phone shit itself :p). Only saw the desert level of Lost World, still gotta watch the rest of them, but reading the things you all have been saying has got me excited (Terminal Velocity, you say?).

So uh, yeah, hi SonicGAF.

Best thing about Sonic 3 Complete is this song is back
Aww yeah that song is gre--
Chaut Karl said:
Oh yeah! Such a great song for penises to slip into holes to!
why do I keep reading youtube comments?

I'm going to heel it up and say that i'm grateful that Sonic 3 & Knuckles replaced that miniboss theme with the vastly superior one from Sonic & Knuckles.
I do however miss the Sonic 3 Knuckles theme.

Anyways have you all played this newer super mario bros wii.

It is really good.

World 6 so far, it's pretty solid, they went above and beyond to make World 4 incredibly distinct though it probably distracted me from how clumsily a few of the stages there were laid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom