• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schala keeps talking about some ordeal, and yet I have no idea what she's talking about and the suspense is killing me D:

But whatever. I finished watching Chip/Ironicus's The You Testament LP. What an ending. Glad he finally figured out how to use weapons, and getting Omahdon to read MDickie's journals was a nice touch, too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bah, the ordeal wasn't necessarily noteworthy for you all. And nope, JC; haven't really been. Move on and work that sucker to death.

Unless you're talking about the ordeal I had yesterday where my head just wouldn't stop hurting and I couldn't eat much. That ordeal sucked.

Or this ordeal. Fuck this ordeal.

bBTBu.png

You forgot the most important character.

xaDQW.png

Edit:
CAtXz.gif
Blinded by Light

Lightning Returns... as a random encounter.

I don't know the strategy against her...

World 6 so far, it's pretty solid, they went above and beyond to make World 4 incredibly distinct though it probably distracted me from how clumsily a few of the stages there were laid out.
Planning on playing it myself soon. I just saw the thread for it when I went looking for it after seeing Village's post.

qq more

About Tizoc's post:

I don't care about the pettyness (and I didn't do this out of pettyness). It was uncalled for and I felt the need to point out the hypocrisy. So the reply was deserved.

That's my 2 cents on this matter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala you need to learn love FF4--

Okay now those screens are pretty hilarious though!
It was probably my favourite update because I just stopped caring by then.
KuGsj.gif

Screw it. The door’s open for our imaginations to allow us to fight whatever we want.

axTlm.png
dcKti.png
0kdYM.png
4gkoS.png
The game would be so much better this way.

He's right, though.

*plays air guitar with the SonicGAF championship*
Whoa, now. When did this happen?

Why do you never inform us of anything?

SSB4 might be in one of those boxes, I must delve inside.

Speaking of high seas and going back to out whole water level talk from the other day, did anyone see that gripping new Call of Duty footage? it's like the furthest thing removed from my idea of a good water level.

Speaking of high seas and going back to out whole water level talk from the other day, did anyone see that gripping new Call of Duty footage? it's like the furthest thing removed from my idea of a good water level.

HfJJE6D.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I did not. Is there an archive of this somewhere? All I know is that the dog's name is Riley. Or something.

As for the boxes, oh yeah, looking at 'em makes me feel kinda interested in E3 a little bit. Been listening to gamekyo's stream inside the convention centre for a bit and it's interesting to see stuff around there already. Interesting that the stairs haven't been plastered with a Final Fantasy title this year, since they usually are.

Edit: Tons of PvZ2 stuff around the entrance. lol.

Sonic 3 mid-boss battle would fit pretty well in this battle. And I say that as a bad thing.
Breaking my heart here.

I did not. Is there an archive of this somewhere? All I know is that the dog's name is Riley. Or something.

I think the pic JC posted sums things up well enough, though if you want to see the "gameplay" then by all means.

Those boxes have absolutely nothing on E3 Bear.

E3 Bear was the perfect storm of hype, insanity and finding something where there was nothing, attempts to recreate the moment will just never have the same impact.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think the pic JC posted sums things up well enough, though if you want to see the "gameplay" then by all means.
Oh lordy, no. That ain't a water level. And they seriously said that? Good lord.

Like I said the other day, this gen gave me Aquarium Park, Kirby's Epic Yarn's water levels, and some of the water levels in Rayman Origins. Aquarium Park is probably tops, though.

Ecco the Dolphin and Endless Ocean weren't too bad. I also like how Mega Man just allows you to jump higher in the water, so you need to be careful with jump management. Hydrocity's water level/air management wasn't that bad because the level was adequately paced well. And Twilight Princess's Lakebed Temple was done incredibly well. Vanilla Fortress is yet another good water level. I'm surprised you didn't mention Mondo before, because that's a good one too.

And I completely love Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword. But I love that dungeon in general. So many nods to Buddhism and especially to Kumo no Ito and the Eightfold Path. I completely adored what that dungeon did with respect to its symbolism. I also love the swimming controls in Majora's Mask. I can't say I loved the Great Bay Temple wholly, but swimming controls in that game were great.

I'm sorry we can't agree on everything. It isn't like it's horrible but... boss battles deserve something better, it screams joke fight.
Now that you put it like that, oh yes. Absolutely.

The dog window smash made me burst out laughing. No idea why.
Because he comes out of nowhere.

i2YeOORkAhfL9.gif

So fucking good. It's a pretty darn strong album, and I'm not surprised with that considering who they have on the album as cameos.

I think Fairweather Friends was probably the lowest point on the album for me. I still love Kalopsia. Smooth Sailing sounds like a good signature QotSA song. I Appear Missing and Like Clockwork are fantastic, as well. Mind you, that's on three initial listens, and I should be giving the album more spins today.

Seriously, though? Album of the Year frontrunner at the moment.

I gotta agree. My personal favourite album this year is still Anamanaguchi's Endless Fantasy, but no doubt Homme and co did good here. "Smooth Sailing" is a fucking JAM- it has the kind of rock-hard swagger I expect, nay, demand from modern QotSA. "If I Had A Tail" is similarly great.

It's an album that needs headphones, because it has such an infectious thump to it that you need to embrace that in full. It's fucking brilliant. Big improvement on Era Vulgaris.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I gotta agree. My personal favourite album this year is still Anamanaguchi's Endless Fantasy, but no doubt Homme and co did good here. "Smooth Sailing" is a fucking JAM- it has the kind of rock-hard swagger I expect, nay, demand from modern QotSA. "If I Had A Tail" is similarly great.

It's an album that needs headphones, because it has such an infectious thump to it that you need to embrace that in full. It's fucking brilliant. Big improvement on Era Vulgaris.
I still thought Era Vulgaris was a relatively decent album, but this one is just better. Complete return to good ol' QotSA sound from Songs for the Deaf--especially "Smooth Sailing". That'd be a good single, but I guess it's not as radio-friendly as "My God is the Sun". I'm so amazed with how many cameos they have throughout the album. People I recognize from here, there, and everywhere. Homme's guitar work is still proficient as usual. "If I Had a Tail" sounds rather Bowie-esque. Happy Nick Oliveri was back on this album this time around, too.

What I love about this album, though, is... that it's cohesive. Era Vulgaris, by comparison, was spotty in some areas. Heck, half the time when you listen to this album and go back to listen to that album, sometimes you wonder if they're by the same band.

And I totally agree. Headphones are a requirement. Listening to it in the car the other day just didn't feel like it was enough. I would listen to it right now, but I'm busy listening to Jeff Gerstmann talk to himself in his car. >.>

NeoGAF to become a Nintendo exclusive forum

Better have a Wii U, fuckers
Price cut, pls.

Is it region-free yet?

qq more

hGKR-r.png

WHO FUCKING SAID YOU CAN IMPORT? FUCKING NO ONE. IMPORTING IS LIKE PIRATING.

AND PIRATING ISN'T ALLOWED HERE SO YOU'RE ALL BANNED, MOTHER FUCKERS.

FUCK.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I probably won't get to see you all tomorrow.

So I just wanted to say I love you all.

...Sometimes.
What did you do? >:O

No, really, what'd you do?

hGKR-r.png

WHO FUCKING SAID YOU CAN IMPORT? FUCKING NO ONE. IMPORTING IS LIKE PIRATING.

AND PIRATING ISN'T ALLOWED HERE SO YOU'RE ALL BANNED, MOTHER FUCKERS.

FUCK.
Shit, someone help me hide this stuff.

dsc00683nba2g.jpg

Wait, I have more stuff in my closet, the shelves, and even the basement (oh lawd, that Famicom and Famicom Disk System). Crap, I can't hide it all.

Even my European imports... ;-;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a signed Tales of preorder bonus somewhere around these parts. But Seven Force is more hardcore than I am for getting some signatures on a game. D:

Buncha filthy pirates up in this...whatever. You all should be ashamed!
I am ashamed, tigger. I'm super-ashamed. :(

Guys, guys. Are you ready for more drinking games tomorrow? Because I sure as hell am. See you on IRC for Microsoft!
Pietepiet, did you make more drinking game documents for Sony, Ubi, and Nintendo, specifically?

Either way, I think the original document you linked from the MS conference would do nicely for all of the conferences regardless!

I'll be ready with some pop in hand or something. It's unhealthy enough for something like this! :O

TOO LATE. YOU'RE BANNED. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Welp. If you guys don't see me for a while, you'll know why.

Wait, do Japanese and French books count as imports, too? Because I have some Japanese novels, artbooks, and books in my bookshelf, and I have some books in French but I really got some of them from Quebec, but I have one from France...

...they count, don't they.

Find a hole in your backyard, bury 'em
I can't dig a hole big enough for consoles, even. :(

Pietepiet

Pietepiet, did you make more drinking game documents for Sony, Ubi, and Nintendo, specifically?

Either way, I think the original document you linked from the MS conference would do nicely for all of the conferences regardless!

I'll be ready with some pop in hand or something. It's unhealthy enough for something like this! :O

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IEfI6Zvt91kWhzj-87a3aJknLmiffNJceFkVsGSdRUc/edit

I've added some Sony stuff, but overall this one can be used for all conferences. Nintendo is a bit harder, but I can probably add some things for that. Suggestions are welcome!

Oh lordy, no. That ain't a water level. And they seriously said that? Good lord.

Like I said the other day, this gen gave me Aquarium Park, Kirby's Epic Yarn's water levels, and some of the water levels in Rayman Origins. Aquarium Park is probably tops, though.

Ecco the Dolphin and Endless Ocean weren't too bad. I also like how Mega Man just allows you to jump higher in the water, so you need to be careful with jump management. Hydrocity's water level/air management wasn't that bad because the level was adequately paced well. And Twilight Princess's Lakebed Temple was done incredibly well. Vanilla Fortress is yet another good water level. I'm surprised you didn't mention Mondo before, because that's a good one too.

And I completely love Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword. But I love that dungeon in general. So many nods to Buddhism and especially to Kumo no Ito and the Eightfold Path. I completely adored what that dungeon did with respect to its symbolism. I also love the swimming controls in Majora's Mask. I can't say I loved the Great Bay Temple wholly, but swimming controls in that game were great.
I'll get on my water stage selection at some point soon but a few points on the ones you've brought up.

- I'm fine with the Mega Man style until they do the obligatory "here's a really tight spike filled underwater tunnel, enjoy", i'm the guy who'll be using any enemies that turn up here as a way to get invincibility frames and try and cheese the spikes as much as possible because managing those many levels of jump height while placing them precisely is like my kryptonite.
Otherwise in more open stages (even those with the same spiky setup like Bubble Man's Stage) I like it, it's basically low gravity.

- I think the success of Rayman's were more down to how fluidly the character controlled, fast and snappy which challenges the usual slower approach of water stages. The actual stages themselves were just okay though, no one jumps out at me as being a stand out, though I guess i'd say the same for Aquarium park in Colours, it's more about how they handled water.

- Going to have to disagree a bit with Epic Yarn here, they aren't outright bad but the ones that are wholly underwater I find to be a bit boring due to kirby's limited abilities, plus the dolphin form can be a bit finicky for flipping out of the water, or maybe that's just me. Kirby is general doesn't really work too well with the wet stuff, less usable abilities and being unable to regain any lost powers is a drag.

- Hydrocity and Aquarium Park are in my favourites so i'll talk about them in a minute, but Tidal Tempest from CD ain't that bad either now I think about it.

- I love the idea of SMW Mondo and how it pulls together various ideas like a strong water current, varying water level and based upon an overworld stage giving it a distinct flooded look, I just wish they could have done a bit more with it otherwise, Flyin' hammer bros, cheep cheeps and nipper plants are pretty all you contend with, still it's up there.

- Bringing in Zelda dungeons are we? Can't disagree with Ancient Cistern and I didn't even get along with the swimming in that game, though it's more for the standout visual approach to the dungeon that I praise it and less of the water focus. I remember liking Angler's Tunnel in Link's Awakening as well.

Well actually that covers a lot of the better stuff, I guess all i've really got left are to mention my personal favourites, sticking with platformers here...

Vanilla Fortress (Super Mario World)

While SMB3 dabbled in having a fort with water in it I can't say I held them in much regard. What makes Vanilla Fortress work so well to me is how its obstacles tend to stick with those only found in castles and forts, the whole stage was waterlogged from start to finish yet the old hazards of Thwomps and spiked balls remained creating a new way to approach these standby hazards. It's also one of the few Mario stages with a split path. Considering the same game has water stages as bafflingly bare as Star Road 2 it sort of helps this fortress standout further, it's also not as tightly tunnelled in as other water stages in the game, basically I think it hits a lot of the right notes.
In fact to this day I get excited when a NSMB game brings out a watery fort or tower.

Hydrocity Zone (Sonic 3)
A water stage as early as the second zone? i'm sure many a child cursed to the heavens as they fell into the watery depths at the start of Hydrocity (and hopefully they didn't steer their fall into the spikes like I first did). But Hydrocity isn't what it appears to be at first, Hydrocity is about both the slow slog through water and the swift sprinting across its surface. It juxtaposes these styles to great effect, on top of this the underwater sections introduce the bubble shield eliminating air concerns as well as preventing certain turrets from damaging you. It's not maze like either, it's got some wide open areas to test Tails swimming ability and who could forget the pursuing wall of death to kick off act 2? Without a doubt it's one of my favourite zones in any Sonic game and it has great music to boot, I used to be an Act 1 man but i'm feeling the faster paced Act 2 theme these days.

Aquarium Park (Sonic Colours)
In an almost sacrilegious act Sonic can now essentially swim by cutting through water like a buzzsaw as well as tearing up any enemies he encounters. The approach to water here seems to be massive open tanks of the wet stuff and while Sonic's saw like swimming is serviceable he needs greater mobility to keep it from being too slow which is where the drill comes in allowing Sonic to speed through the depths and take the various pipes scattered around. The water sections alone would be far too bare to make good stages so fortunately there's a good amount of land based sections, some stages have no water in at all in fact. While Aquarium Park isn't an outright amazing water stage it has the perfect blend of aspects that help elevate it, aside from Sonic's new approach to tackling water there's the stages unique visual style and it has what is in my opinion the best music in Colours.

Lava Lagoon (DKC2)
I've noticed that when a thread is made regarding good water stages I see DKC1 brought up a lot and while Aquatic Ambiance is a damn chill track I don't think it alone makes those stages good water stages, in fact they're pretty bare water stages all following the same style of corridor coral reef with evading (or swordfishin') the various sealife.
DKC2 brings in a ship hold for its main aquatic setting, one which is not only great in concept but lends itself well to the lowering and rising of water. Lava Lagoon takes an approach that ensures that this water stage is going to be anything but a slow and relaxing dip in the wet stuff, Lava Lagoon is going to make you swim a marathon or else you get boiled to bits. You jump on a seal, he cools the water for a brief period of time, you swim as fast as you can to either the next area of solid ground or to the next seal, rinse and repeat and by gum it works.

Then DKC3 once again decided that things weren't gimmicky enough which led to the like of Fish Food Frenzy and the most anticlimactic pre final boss stage ever that is Poisonous Pipeline which also includes the very best in "we're out of gimmick ideas", reversed controls in water! OH BOY!

Clanker's Cavern (Banjo Kazooie)

This is really just a sentimental favourite since Banjo underwater stuff controls kind of like shit in all honesty, so already Banjo has odds to overcome here. While this stage may include a section worthy of kids nightmares involving awkwardly swimming through a giant key three times far away from the waters surface to the point one must gain oxygen from inhaling bubbles from a friendly fish's backside (or maybe it's the mouth, either way that don't seem healthy) I still rate it pretty highly on the setting alone. It's a dank sewer with a giant mechanical Shark that functions as some kind of Garbage Grinder, said shark's interior also houses a lot of the actual level. For what it's worth this is the first stage that I got 100% items out of so maybe i'm just better at tackling these murky depths than most.
and like every stage i've mentioned so far it has some sweet music.

Thanks to Game Grumps however I can't help but think about how the duo handle the whole holding their breath thing, I mean Kazooie is basically at Banjo's mercy.

Slimy Spring Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
The first Galaxy didn't really master water levels that well, I mean sea slide and beach bowl may look pretty cool but Sea Slide's layout is kind of awkward to traverse so cheers for scattering 100 purple coins around it.
Galaxy 2 already gets off to a better start by ripping off DK Jungle Beat's Sweet Paradise stage and having aerial water cubes, but as I said it was a redux of DK's Jelly swimming shenanigans so moving on from Cosmic Cove we have Slimy Spring.
Slimy Spring translates the more linear style of water stage to the 3D template, hands the player a shell to increase manoeuvrability and just sets you off down a surprisingly scenic and serene sewer pipeline and shames Sea Slide's swim through the rings stuff. Not bad at all for a one and done galaxy.

Okay that'll do or else i'll keep remembering other water stages I liked.
I'm a big fan of stages that go equal parts land and water, Sonic 3 actually has quite a bit of this in parts so maybe that's why I lean towards that half of things so much.

I'm still in shock that Screwattack put HydroCity on Worst water levels list

Like, word? Ya'll mothafuckas left off Underport from Jak 2 but Sonic 3 on the list

yeah, ok

Considering Jak 2 in general from as far as I stomached it at least, I don't want to see its take on a water stage.
Well I looked anyway, slow stompy mech walking and then onto land being chased by giant pincers in a section that might actually be kinda fun but the camera may very well make it a lot harder than it actually is.

This reminds me that i'm looong overdue playing Jak 1 again since I haven't played through it since it came out, I need to see if it holds up. Now if only the PS store would put the damn game on sale by itself for once without the rest of the trilogy, they do it for Sly, why not Jak?

numero uno worst water level is that damn stage from Earthworm Jim 1. Tight corridors, no-recoverable health, a timer, and even the slightest bump on the walls sends you flying into ANOTHER wall. Kiss my black ass, Shiny Entertainment

special thanks go to the jetski level from Uncharted 1, which controls like a pregnant garbage truck on ice and forces you to stop to shoot anything(and there's so much to shoot)

I like to think that I enjoy Earthworm Jim but when I really think about I think i'm actually just enjoying the games sheer quirkiness more than anything else because there's some pretty clumsy levels in that game.
And then 2 was like more minigames than actual stages.

At least the HD version actually made down the tubes a lot more tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom