• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought looking back.

They just needed to come with megaton after megaton and slap the shit out of everyone with stuff. The content was somewhat there, yes, but there were pretty much no surprises.

And 2014 looks to be a great year for the system lol

But it has to survive 2013 first

dolan-and-city-morguegnrjb.png

And Super Mario 3D Land co-op edition was...pretty slight and underwhelming next to SMG1/2. How do you fuck up a brand new 3D Mario reveal

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little underwhelmed, but it's an interesting direction to take it. 3D Land was a cool fusion of the 2D and 3D formulas so continuing down that path on a console could be satisfying. Bringing back the Super Mario Bros. 2-style playable characters is fantastic.

Let's just hope it's not half a game like 3D Land was.

Super Mario 3D World is probably the most uninteresting way to follow up the Galaxy series, but there's still one achievement they made:
they actually found a way to animate Peach's dress!

Yeah, I mean... the old footage we saw a few years ago gave me the same vibe. Everything seemed scripted in a Call-of-Duty-esque manner, the combat looked one-note, I didn't really care much for what I saw. The combat in that old trailer looked really slow and clunky to me, and it was a real turn-off.

It's all about the presentation, though. This trailer was cut well enough that it got me incredibly excited for it. The combat seems faster-paced, the UI looks better, it looks kinda less clunky to me? Now, if it were a faster version of FF12's battle system, that would be a nice compromise. I mean, with less cool-down times. We'll see how this goes, because I wonder if it'll prevent players from being able to customize their player characters to their heart's content. I wonder if there'll be dedicated classes. There are so many questions that are still up in the air for this game. I don't think we'll get lots of, or if any, info about it during SE's gig tomorrow. But the game always had that sort of CoD/Uncharted sort of feel to me, which turned me off of it, actually. In this trailer, it seems more obvious, but I guess the overall presentation of the trailer hooked me in. I still want to see how combat's handled in general, and more explanations about those menu selections in the few snippets of combat we got.

Either way, fucking good show there. It's been a while since I got so hyped about video games that I literally couldn't type because my hands were shaking out of excitement.

I don't mind the scripted stuff, because it's Final Fantasy, they were going to have shit like this regardless, I am actually glad they seem to be trying to keep the player in control even when the cinematic stuff is happening.

As far as the battle system goes, it reminds me of The Last Story only cranked up to eleven. The cover system made me raise an eyebrow but as long as they don't design the whole game around it(which they don't seem to be, not every area was a tight closed space) it should be fine.

What I really want to see now are some quieter moments in the game, town/world map exploration and I want finer details on the combat system. I like how the combat seems waayyy tighter and responsive, and it seems to have a big emphasis on using the environment to your advantage, which is something I have been preaching for a while.

Haha, yeah, they finally was able to animate Peach's dress. If this is like SMB2, then Toad's the best character.
Hold up, there. Luigi is the best SMB2 character. Much like Cornshaq, my SMB2 play sessions are only as Luigi. (I do waste time dying, though. Sorry, I'm not that great at the game :V)

And Luigi has the flutter jump, yay. Doesn't look like he's particularly floatier than the others (think Super Mario Advance 4, which kept him playing like he normally did in SMB3, but gave him the flutter animation anyway), which is a shame, but I can't complain; I love the flutter jump.

Announces what?
That. Duh.

Between the PS4 stuff of yesterday and the Nintendo stuff today and even seeing that new trailer for the Desolation of Smaug, today has been a good day.

errrrrrrrr....WHAAAAAAAAAAAT, Wise is Back??

Wise is the MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

David Wise coming back...

where is Owl so we can fanboy at each other about this shit

JC, the entire game is one big fanboy moment for me, i'm not even sure where to start...actually Wise is a good place to start.
Wise has been absent for faaaar too long, I assume that during Rare's downfall he retreated to a lost land and lived as a musical hermit mastering some sort of lost art with which to best his DKC2 behemoth.
And now he's returned, with two soundtracks in one year now that I remember Tengami, this return may be on par with DK's own.

JC, the entire game is one big fanboy moment for me, i'm not even sure where to start...actually Wise is a good place to start.
Wise has been absent for faaaar too long, I assume that during Rare's downfall he retreated to a lost land and lived as a musical hermit mastering some sort of lost art with which to best his DKC2 behemoth.
And now he's returned, with two soundtracks in one year now that I remember Tengami, this return may be on par with DK's own.

Rayman Legends and DKC5 in one year, thank you video game platformer gods

Hey look at these people play terribly at the first stage. Like DKCR, I'm digging the introduction of core mechanics, how it gradually builds up to the Vikings invading, the dynamic environments, and the climactic set piece moment that ends the level in style. Not even players this bad can make this an unhappy video.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi and I were looking for that XVersus footage just now. I watched it over and over, and I'm still finding new stuff!

Fuck it. Like I said, I'm not completely comfortable with Versus being FFXV because of the fact that it doesn't seem to resemble an RPG. Like Alberto said, though, SE doesn't really remember what FF is at this point, so let's let them experiment. I still feel iffy about it, but let's see if their experiment is going to be a success.

I... like what I see! I think it looks effing better than Lightning Returns, and it gives me what I wanted from Lightning Returns. Multiple characters to control! Lock-on! Quick spellcasting because he cast Fire (ファイア -- and I had to look at that section like 5 times to see what it said because it was really fast) really dang quickly with a push of the button! Zero Shift Combat! Fast-paced combat. Different weapons / a Weapon Ring. Different weapons having different weights, and that affecting your animation speeds with respect to swing times. That means you have to actively look at what you're doing instead of swinging around like an idiot. I don't like the cinematic transitions too much, but you knew that I wouldn't like that. Dodge is mapped to a freaking button instead of being a customizable command. This is something I dinged Lightning Returns for. I didn't like that Guard was a customizable command in that game either. But look we have a freaking parry in the last section. I like that we can control other characters seemingly on-the-fly as well.

That's all I was able to gather after watching the silly thing a few times, but I need to watch it more.

I would've loved to see more environmental manipulation, and some indication that positions affect your damage output (but it doesn't which is a complete shame and I'm kinda disappointed because the game has all the tools necessary to execute such a thing). I wonder if you can use the Warp Command and warp to a building/structure and begin attacking from that area without feeling the consequences of gravity? It'd be neat if so. Again, they have the tools for it, so I wonder how far they're going to take it.

Regardless, I like my games quick. This is quick. I'm happy with quick.

If this game comes with a frickin' difficulty setting, all of my money.

Rayman Legends and DKC5 in one year, thank you video game platformer gods

Hey look at these people play terribly at the first stage. Like DKCR, I'm digging the introduction of core mechanics, how it gradually builds up to the Vikings invading, the dynamic environments, and the climactic set piece moment that ends the level in style. Not even players this bad can make this an unhappy video.

Nothing like watching people suck at platformers.
This year is potentially one of the best years for platforming like ever, EVER! let that sink in for a moment.

Diddy Kong to be tossed aside in favour of superior Dixie, finally at long last a Donkey and Dixie combo.

Versus is exactly what FF needed to be. It looks experimental, it looks exciting, it has character, it's grandiose and epic in a manner that feels earned...

It had to become FFXV. To be anxious about it is to pretend that FF could carry on the way it was.

For early footage it looks fucking phenomenal, I can understand why people say it doesn't really look like an RPG but honestly...I don't fucking care. This is a game I want to play,no, have wanted to play since I was a child, even before Versus was a thing.

I just need some finer details.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am so excited about video games today.

I preordered my PS4 already.
KuGsj.gif

Versus is exactly what FF needed to be. It looks experimental, it looks exciting, it has character, it's grandiose and epic in a manner that feels earned...
This. I kinda felt that way even just watching the battle footage. Everyone has their own interesting animations to carry about, even whilst using different weapons (despite Noctis looking like he's a Jack of All Trades), and there's some sense of comradery that I felt that was sorely missing in the FF13 games.

...This feeling I have feels weird.

Apparently there's a third character in the new DKC game that has yet to be revealed.

Playable K.Rool for no reason,
It's probably going to be Kiddy Kong

Actually Retro should make a new character for this entry inspired by todays events and Retro's own "fans", Salty Kong.

Nothing like watching people suck at platformers.
This year is potentially one of the best years for platforming like ever, EVER! let that sink in for a moment.

Diddy Kong to be tossed aside in favour of superior Dixie, finally at long last a Donkey and Dixie combo.

There was a Developer Direct that said there's one more playable character. Odds are it's Kiddy Kong, but I'm not so secretly holding out hope for Funky

or CRANKY. If Cranky was a character, I'd never select anybody again. Cranky mode should have no DK barrels, back in his day we didn't have life meters, we had one hit and that was it. You young whippersnappers these days with your super guide pigs and your "New Mode", just call it what is: "Punk-ass Ninja Dog" mode.

This. I kinda felt that way even just watching the battle footage. Everyone has their own interesting animations to carry about, even whilst using different weapons (despite Noctis looking like he's a Jack of All Trades), and there's some sense of comradery that I felt that was sorely missing in the FF13 games.

...This feeling I have feels weird.

Watching them jack that Iron giant up together put the biggest fucking grin on my face.

Even if it wasn't really gameplay, that was fucking cool, and it was awesome to see the characters cooperate in such a way.

It made me like them already.

Also GLADIOLUS HAS FUCKING GRAPPLES

PFFFT PS4? THATS OLD NEWS

ITS ALL ABOUT SMASH BROS NOW BITCHES

That would be kinda redundant with DK there...give me Funky
Ah right - in DKC3 that was sort of Kiddy's role...

hmm, well I can't think of any that pop to mind - maybe someone from DK64?

In any case, I'm hoping this'll be the DKC2 to DKCR's DKC - Wise better go crazy on this OST :)

PFFFT PS4? THATS OLD NEWS

ITS ALL ABOUT SMASH BROS NOW BITCHES

There has to be another person from MegaMan...but WHO?

In any case, I'm hoping this'll be the DKC2 to DKCR's DKC - Wise better go crazy on this OST :)

The more forgotten about DK64, the better...they'd be wise to just pretend that game never happened

The more I see of Smash, the less hyped I get. Dunno why.

Watching them jack that Iron giant up together put the biggest fucking grin on my face.

Even if it wasn't really gameplay, that was fucking cool, and it was awesome to see the characters cooperate in such a way.

I'm really, really liking the party cooperation.

That would be kinda redundant with DK there...give me Funky

Isn't that equally as redundant? let's not forget Funky's Mario Kart Wii appearance pretty much boils down to being easily made from DK's model, actually that's like the story of Funky from the word go.

There was a Developer Direct that said there's one more playable character. Odds are it's Kiddy Kong, but I'm not so secretly holding out hope for Funky

or CRANKY. If Cranky was a character, I'd never select anybody again. Cranky mode should have no DK barrels, back in his day we didn't have life meters, we had one hit and that was it. You young whippersnappers these days with your super guide pigs and your "New Mode", just call it what is: "Punk-ass Ninja Dog" mode.
Cranky would be the mirror mode equivalent itself, the ultimate challenge worthy of true video game heroes.

Not gonna lie, Lanky Kong would make me smile, the other 64 crew can stay the hell away though.
Still can't quite comprehend the sheer awesome levels that come from actually nabbing Wise, it's such a fan pleasing decision that all my manly tears are shed for.

So is FF officially back now or something? I could've sworn you guys had written off Square entirely, well it's pleasing to see peoples faith restored in a franchise they once loved at any rate.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bean wanted to say this:
DBean said:
My call for the fourth character in DKC Tropical Freeze is Funky Kong. Take that, SonicGAF!

I'm just passing along the message. I'm completely behind on my Nintendo stuff today.

------

Onto my stuff!

Yo, I wouldn't mind paying attention to the story if they're bros and essentially shoot the shit have the time. I missed that sort of thing in Final Fantasy, and even watching a certain scene in Tales of Xillia made me wistfully desire something like that in FF13. We never had that sense of togetherness and teamwork in either of the 13 games, which is very disappointing for me.

And I am loving that everyone has their own weapon to use, despite the fact that Noctis has a full Weapon Cycle to himself. It's neato.

With respect to XV, Nomura:

RPGSite said:
He sees Final Fantasy XV as - what Final Fantasy would be if it took a more action oriented approach.

However, he notes it is still a Final Fantasy game at heart, noting the party members and RPG elements like commands.

Notes that Noctis uses teleportation abilities in battles, and makes a general comment that games allow him to bend the rules of gravity to create a unique playstyle
Hmmm...

I want to see where this goes. They said they wanted to know what fan feedback is towards FFXV being more action-oriented, so let's see how it goes. I'll give them one chance.

It's not every day I get excited about something, anyway!

Bean wanted to say this:

I'm just passing along the message. I'm completely behind on my Nintendo stuff today.
This Bean guy seems like he's on the ball.

Actually there is precedent for playable Funky, DK King of Swing had him as the fourth character of the main group.

I bought the game last year but have yet to play it... Am I in for pain?
Not so much pain as a gradual shift into boredom as it progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom