• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Go to bed and sleep for like 8+ hours.
I missed the actual announcement of FF15 and KH3, and I am hardly mind blown or rattled
You missed me fangirling and not being able to type.

...I have not been this excited for video games in a long time.

A long time.

Honestly tho, MS had better/more exclusives. The PS4 line-up lookin'...a lot like it was back in February. I expect there won't be any game droughts like the Wii-U tho, and they're pushing some big exclusive games in the PS3's last year by their first party developers: God of War Ascension, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Puppeteer, Gran Turismo 6, etc.

Unfortunately for MS, the Xbone's price and DRM and other assorted shit means they can kiss the entirety of my black ass.

Tizoc

You missed me fangirling and not being able to type.

...I have not been this excited for video games in a long time.

A long time.

lol, well I'm sorta the opposite, hardly anything's gotten me hype or excited, except for
PEGGLE
2!
5eGyILG.gif

Now go to sleep, 5 hours of sleep miraculously did it for me, but I wanted moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore Z time!

Sciz

I've never been big on the various Playstations, but it gives me warm fuzzy feelings to see them take a look at what everyone thinks of the Xbone and ram a stake through its fucking heart in response.

and I guess FFv13 might finally stop being vaporware that's cool too

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll go to sleep after this. I want to wake up for Nintendo Direct.

Schala, what do you think of the new Versus?
I think the trailer was cut extremely well. I think it was nice that we finally saw some new CG scenes and got to hear more from the all-star Japanese cast (Miyuki Sawashiro being a big one for me). As for the combat stuff, first of all, I want to say that I am so effing glad they changed the UI oh my god. Seriously. The old UI looked like an inconsistent nightmare, and it looks so much better now. Looks sleek.

Outside of that, I'm kind of split with respect to how more action-focused it is, and how less it looks like an RPG right now. You know exactly how I feel about it being more cinematically-paced. Though I wonder if that's just for one section of the game at the beginning. It seems like it to me in terms of the pacing and dialogue. So... yeah. I never really cared about Versus at all. But this kinda made me look at it at least? I don't mind the game being action-oriented in the end, or a more faster-paced KH / FF12, but we'll see how I feel about it when we see more combat footage and general in-game stuff. That sort of combat and general Uncharted-esque pacing (everything seemingly being dictated by scripted areas or being more action-oriented) seems a little odd for a mainline title, and it's something that might be preferred for a spinoff. As you probably know, I don't go for that sort of thing in games in general.

I personally want to see more combat footage before making a final judgement on whether or not it seems interesting. Some of the animations were kind of odd, but I suppose they might change. The combat itself was improved from the original combat footage (ie: you can see Warp commands, attack type switching/weapon switching, something called link mode which seems kinda neato, etc in the UI), but outside of that, I'm not sure what to make of it, because we didn't see a lot of it. It's hard to get a feel for what combat, attack animations, and general character customization might even be like considering we didn't see a lot of combat footage in there to begin with. We didn't see a lot of the party mechanics either, which is a little disappointing, but I suppose we might get more information about that in Famitsu/Dengeki or TGS at the latest. At this point in time, it looks more like an action game or a faster-paced KH game with RPG elements than it does an RPG, but I wonder if that will change when we get more info.

Regardless, I'm going to be paying more attention to it. About time, anyway. I'm excited to hear more about it.

-->All of that waffling in my post means I liked the trailer.

Tizoc

Oh shit, I have to pay for online now? Sonyyyyyyyy....

As someone who already has Plus, I still think this is ridiculous an odd decision to make.
While I do like the discounts and offers Plus gives, that it's necessary for online, what with PS3 and far as I can tell, Wii both allowed for free online play, is a cruel step back.

BlackJace

I'll go to sleep after this. I want to wake up for Nintendo Direct.

I think the trailer was cut extremely well. I think it was nice that we finally saw some new CG scenes and got to hear more from the all-star Japanese cast (Miyuki Sawashiro being a big one for me). As for the combat stuff, first of all, I want to say that I am so effing glad they changed the UI oh my god. Seriously. The old UI looked like an inconsistent nightmare, and it looks so much better now. Looks sleek.

Outside of that, I'm kind of split with respect to how more action-focused it is, and how less it looks like an RPG right now. You know exactly how I feel about it being more cinematically-paced. Though I wonder if that's just for one section of the game at the beginning. It seems like it to me in terms of the pacing and dialogue. So... yeah. I never really cared about Versus at all. But this kinda made me look at it at least? I don't mind the game being action-oriented in the end, or a more faster-paced KH / FF12, but we'll see how I feel about it when we see more combat footage and general in-game stuff. That sort of combat and general Uncharted-esque pacing (everything seemingly being dictated by scripted areas or being more action-oriented) seems a little odd for a mainline title, and it's something that might be preferred for a spinoff. As you probably know, I don't go for that sort of thing in games in general.

I personally want to see more combat footage before making a final judgement on whether or not it seems interesting. Some of the animations were kind of odd, but I suppose they might change. The combat itself was improved from the original combat footage, but outside of that, I'm not sure what to make of it, because we didn't see a lot of it. It's hard to get a feel for what combat, attack animations, and general character customization might even be like considering we didn't see a lot of combat footage in there to begin with. We didn't see a lot of the party mechanics either, which is a little disappointing, but I suppose we might get more information about that in Famitsu/Dengeki or TGS at the latest. At this point in time, it looks more like an action game or a faster-paced KH game with RPG elements than it does an RPG, but I wonder if that will change when we get more info.

Regardless, I'm going to be paying more attention to it. About time, anyway. I'm excited to hear more about it.

-->All of that waffling in my post means I liked the trailer.

Interesting. Aeana had the same opinion as you (and me actually) regarding how much more action oriented the game looks. I saw loads of platforming and likely scripted events. It seemed like every time a combat section was to begin, it cut to Noctis doing some cool flips n' shit.

I too will need to see more of the combat system. I was sold on the game awhile ago, but we've yet to have a full blow out regarding information about the game.

But yeah, FF XV, good shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Interesting. Aeana had the same opinion as you (and me actually) regarding how much more action oriented the game looks. I saw loads of platforming and likely scripted events. It seemed like every time a combat section was to begin, it cut to Noctis doing some cool flips n' shit.

I too will need to see more of the combat system. I was sold on the game awhile ago, but we've yet to have a full blow out regarding information about the game.

But yeah, FF XV, good shit.
Yeah, I mean... the old footage we saw a few years ago gave me the same vibe. Everything seemed scripted in a Call-of-Duty-esque manner, the combat looked one-note, I didn't really care much for what I saw. The combat in that old trailer looked really slow and clunky to me, and it was a real turn-off.

It's all about the presentation, though. This trailer was cut well enough that it got me incredibly excited for it. The combat seems faster-paced, the UI looks better, it looks kinda less clunky to me? Now, if it were a faster version of FF12's battle system, that would be a nice compromise. I mean, with less cool-down times. We'll see how this goes, because I wonder if it'll prevent players from being able to customize their player characters to their heart's content. I wonder if there'll be dedicated classes. There are so many questions that are still up in the air for this game. I don't think we'll get lots of, or if any, info about it during SE's gig tomorrow. But the game always had that sort of CoD/Uncharted sort of feel to me, which turned me off of it, actually. In this trailer, it seems more obvious, but I guess the overall presentation of the trailer hooked me in. I still want to see how combat's handled in general, and more explanations about those menu selections in the few snippets of combat we got.

Either way, fucking good show there. It's been a while since I got so hyped about video games that I literally couldn't type because my hands were shaking out of excitement.

BlackJace

I can believe that. Sony came yesterday with one purpose: to shit on MS.

Once you think about it, without the capitalizing off of the Xbone's faults, their conference would've been quite meh.

(KH III and XV non withstanding)

I can believe they put the price together today - it's a good thing regardless.

Honestly, this conference is my favorite Sony conference in years, simply because Sony straight up bodied MS. Buried them so far in the ground PR-wise, they couldn't recover. Murdered them live on stage in HD.

$399 vs. $499 was pure salt in MS's eye - nay, they screwed the cap off that thing and dumped it all in MS's cereal. Then broke the bottle over MS's head.

---

Note: I am not happy that they decided to do pretty much the same thing that they've been doing with the PS3 - I don't see "no DRM as a feature. I am happy because they deliberately chose not to step in line with wherever MS saw the console gaming industry "headed" - that's enough for me. If they had done the same thing, I would've saved a lot of money ahead :p

---

Note 2: Paywalling online multi sucks major though.

It wasn't what they needed, but it was enough for me. That'll keep me happy for the year.

Kinda disappointed Retro's game is another DKC though. I liked Returns, but I could've done with a bigger break before they went back to that well.

I've been saying Retro DKCR sequel for YEARS. They spent 3 years making a new engine, the game sold 5 million copies. You know that shit was happening.

I understand why (DKCR sold like crazy), but I'd have preferred a new Prime-like Metroid. :<

Good God that stream was terrible. The content was okay, at least, but yeah, corralling everyone into one video stream was an awful, awful idea that they should never do again. Provide the Direct to trusted outlets the morning of, Christ.

Sony definitely won. No contest.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah. Forgive me for saying that I didn't see a lot of stuff that would literally making me want a Wii U right here and right now. Sorry.

I do think how Nintendo handled this was kinda bogus. It was hard to load the Nintendo Direct at all so we ended up watching the European one. Most of the trailers were left out of ND and on the YouTube page (so stuff like SMT4, Mario and Luigi 4, Yoshi's Island 3DS, etc., I didn't see during the ND but had to scour the YT page for it, which was a little disappointing for me; the trailers end up losing their sense of spectacle for me, I guess). I'm disappointed with the fact that they came out of the general presentation (streaming, uploading stuff, having their sites (like the Smash site) perform well, etc) looking incredibly underprepared for today.

Classic Mega Man in Smash, yo! That's a good thing.

So. Megaman in Smash. Can't say I'm really surprised, especially after getting Sonic and Solid Snake, but it was cool.

That new Xeno game looks awesome as fuck.

Sony kinda won purely by virtue of not screwing the pooch on their system. In terms of software, the quick pop-in from Lord Nomura-sama was all they really had going for me (Knack looks neat, I guess).

Nintendo's presentation wasn't as good, but in terms of games I'll be playing in the next 12-18 months it was much better.

That new Xeno game looks awesome as fuck.

Yes. Yes it does.

They were really suppose to bring it this year. I liked a lot of their games, but they're mostly in 2014. Your systems dying on the shelves, two big next-gen consoles are coming out, Sony is only $50 bucks higher than you, and that's your 2013 line-up, huh?

And Super Mario 3D Land co-op edition was...pretty slight and underwhelming next to SMG1/2. How do you fuck up a brand new 3D Mario reveal

oh right, when you were working on SM3DL just a year and a half ago.

Tizoc

So the stuff that has gotten me hype in E3 so far are, in chronological order:
1- PEGGLE FUCKING 2!
2-
3DS VERSION OF
NEW SUPER SMASH BROS.

BlackJace

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought looking back.

They just needed to come with megaton after megaton and slap the shit out of everyone with stuff. The content was somewhat there, yes, but there were pretty much no surprises.

And 2014 looks to be a great year for the system lol

But it has to survive 2013 first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom