• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

aRE There any streams running atm that are showing stuff from various developers?
Or rather: is SEGA having a conference or some such soon?

aRE There any streams running atm that are showing stuff from various developers?
Or rather: is SEGA having a conference or some such soon?

GameSpot has a three day stream going with various developers coming in and showing their games. Some good footage yesterday, and there's gonna be plenty more today, including TWO unannounced video games.

That's the thing about E3; we get so caught up in the conferences we forget about the showfloor. My favorite part of E3 isn't the surprises or the megatons, but actually seeing people play the game and have developers discuss it's design and mechanics. If you just watch the conferences, I think you're missing out.

Who is gonna try and make it out to a Best Buy for those Nintendo demos? I want to but they picked the one BB in Denver that is in a nightmare of a place to drive to during that time (rush hour)

If I can get out of work at a reasonable time, I'm gonna at least take a look.

That's a big if, though, because we're kinda in crunch mode.

qq more

Who is gonna try and make it out to a Best Buy for those Nintendo demos? I want to but they picked the one BB in Denver that is in a nightmare of a place to drive to during that time (rush hour)

The closest Best Buy is like 30-40 mins away from me sadly. No go. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had to wake up and babysit (still babysitting). :p

Also, I have to help out at the hospital tomorrow morning, so I won't be around.

Can't. They picked Best Buys in downtown Toronto, and I can't get there at the moment. Plus it's currently rush hour so for-effing-get it.

Edit:

dsc00694izui3.jpg

I think I might just buy the Japanese version of Rockman & Forte to say that I have it because I see it for $10. But damn I'm happy I have a cart for it.

Sonic Stadium interviewed Iizuka on Lost World:

TSS – How long has this game been in development?

Iizuka – We started prototyping the different geometries and stages during Sonic Generations. So, about 2 & 1/2 years.

TSS – Who is the main director on this game?

Iizuka – Morio Kishimoto who did Sonic Colors and Heido Bayashi (sorry if mispelled) for the 3DS version who was the same director of the Colors DS version.

TSS – Who is the music composer this time?

Iizuka – Tomoya Ohtani. He did the music for Sonic Unleashed.

TSS – We know you can use gadgets in the game to help Sonic. Are these Eggman’s gadgets or Tails?

Iizuka – Tails.

TSS – Was the unreleased Sonic X-Treme any influence on this game?

Iizuka – No. Not at all. Actually, the developers of this game don’t know about Sonic X-Treme so it’s all new.

TSS – What was the reason for going with more simple and whimsical visuals?

Iizuka – Basically, so Sonic Generations and Unleashed was very beautiful with detailed HD graphics. It was great, but it had disadvantages as well. The rings and enemies can be hard to see at times and could merge with the background a little. Also, since the visuals were so heavy, we were pretty much locked at 30 FPS. So this new style makes things pop visually, things such as rings and enemies are more more easier to track and gives us 60 fps and a lot more freedom in development on how we build the stages.

TSS – Can you give us more details on the Deadly Six?

Iizuka – Deadly Six are a new set of creatures never encountered before called “Zeti”. They live in a unexplored area of Sonic’s world “Lost Hex” and Eggman is trying to force them to work with him and he loses control of them and he has to team up with Sonic to try and take them out.

TSS – What was the reason for going exclusively with Nintendo on these three upcoming Sonic games?

Iizuka – When we were first developing Sonic Lost World, the Wii U was not even announced yet and we were developing it on PC. So, the Wii U was the right choice for a couple of reasons. First of all, the second screen gave us extra options and advantages also, we think the Wii U is where fans of action platform games are going to. Plus we’ve had much success with Nintendo in the past.

TSS – Can the game be played on the Pro controller or gamepad only?

Iizuka – Single player is gamepad only. With two players, you can be on the pro controller while the other is on the gamepad

TSS – What makes this game so unique compared to other Sonic games?

Iizuka – Probably the easiest thing is the different geometries as you can see. It’s tube shapes and other style of geometry. It’s not just a series of tubes (laughs). Another cool thing the graphics style allows us to do is the each stage has a very unique style and aesthetic to it. Each stage has it’s own visual style so there’s a lot more to it.

TSS – Many on the internet have been comparing the game to Mario Galaxy. Do you feel the comparison is apt, or what do you feel sets this game apart from it?

Iizuka – Basically, because we have these geometries with their own gravity you hop to, you can kinda see the comparison there, but if you play the game on the show floor I think you’ll see the biggest difference is that it still feels and moves like a Sonic game.

TSS – Can you tell us anything about the new Wisp powers?

Iizuka – As you’ve probably seen, the WiiU version has the Lazer power in the demo and the 3DS version has the new asteroid power and the drill power you’ve seen in the original version. Other than that we are not talking about new powers at this time, but we will in the near future.

TSS – What kind of unlockables does collecting Red Rings and freeing animals give you?

Iizuka – (Laughs) That would be telling. We’ll be talking about that more in the future, but one thing we can say is that rescuing the animals will have a positive impact on your game. Just to be clear it’s not just the animals in the cages there will be some hidden in the stages you can free as well. The more you free, the better the impact will be later in the game.

TSS – Sonic Lost World represent s pretty big departure from recent Sonic tiles. What made you decide to change the formula up so drastically?

Iizuka – Basically, we were proud of our accomplishments on Unleashed, Colors and Generations. But we felt we explored that style of gameplay quite a bit and didn’t want too keep playing in that same space. The developers wanted to explore new styles of gameplay and part of the goal there was to make pure platform action a bigger part of the experience this time. Unleashed through Generations, we are proud of them but focus was pretty much on speed and platforming would happen from time to time, but the developers wanted to make it more of a traditional platformer. Not that we want to lose the speed. That’s why there’s still plenty of running and such. It’s still a Sonic game, but we want you to have more control over the speed this time around.

TSS – Thank you so much for your time.

Iizuka – Thank you.

Iizuka: Sonic X-Treme? *laughs*

Iizuka – No. Not at all. Actually, the developers of this game don’t know about Sonic X-Treme so it’s all new. Personally, that sounds like some shitty Game Gear title nobody played, but that's me. Sega handhelds, could you truly imagine it? lulz

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did RobbieNick conduct that interview because that would make me chuckle considering Iizuka did the "LOL, Game Gear?!" thing to him before.

TSS – Who is the main director on this game?

Iizuka – Morio Kishimoto who did Sonic Colors and Heido Bayashi (sorry if mispelled) for the 3DS version who was the same director of the Colors DS version.

TSS – Who is the music composer this time?

Iizuka – Tomoya Ohtani. He did the music for Sonic Unleashed.
First bit is predictable.

Second bit is something I kinda knew because the music in the first act shown in that demo footage sounded a lot like the direction he'd go into. I'm interested in the soundtrack at the very least and I'll import the dang thing.

Interesting. I figured the gamepad stuff would be like that because of that demo footage I saw. I don't like it much either, just because it seems like a bit of a disconnect to me. I hope he played the 3DS version somewhere.

And he'd better have played Legends a bit!

They better release the soundtrack for Legends.
They should, and I'm sure it'll find its way onto my SotY somewhere.

What soundtrack hasn't, lol

Anyways, thought about going to BB to do those demos but of course traffic was getting worse and it really really really sucks to be outside because of the whole state is kindling and there is a big wildfire south of Denver...=/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know which ones haven't! :p

So uh. That Lightning Returns. Uh. Dude I don't even.

First of all, there was virtually nothing to analyse in that "gameplay" trailer they released because it had no HUD, no indication of any different types of damage, no sort of indication that hitting different body parts would be a factor in battles, nothing. And then... the other stuff.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

sonic '06 is god's punishment for living

Also that was a surprisingly sober interview with Iizuka for once. Don't see how his X-Treme comments were weird either; that game was being made in the mid-90's in the US whereas my understanding is a lot of Sonic Team nowadays is populated by mostly new faces fresh out of college after the older team burned out on S'06. Seems normal enough that they'd be unaware of a cancelled American Sonic game for the Saturn that really only the internet knows exists at this point.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq more, I think you should post some of your ramblings in the GAF Plays Final Fantasy thread. You'll probably get some help in there from anyone who's awake. And empathy.

Also that was a surprisingly sober interview with Iizuka for once. Don't see how his X-Treme comments were weird either; that game was being made in the mid-90's in the US whereas my understanding is a lot of Sonic Team nowadays is populated by mostly new faces fresh out of college after the older team burned out on S'06. Seems normal enough that they'd be unaware of a cancelled American Sonic game for the Saturn that really only the internet knows exists at this point.
Yeah, I thought it wasn't a bad interview, and he didn't say a lot of stuff that was out there or stuff that we'd have to take a second look at like we did a few years ago. To think we used to say that he needed better PR back then. Probably still does, but... not as bad as "lol, game gear". Kinda interested in the future direction of the series given Sonic Team's current makeup.

What did I ever do to deserve this?
I found your (don't click if you haven't played FFV at all, guys) Ode to Krile to be completely inspirational. Also, I wanted to see how you'd react, heh. That was genuinely one of my favourite posts in that thread. But you know you can only rename Buttz, and Beef snagged that.

You know what? Even if I dislike FF4 a lot, I had a good time doing that playthrough just because of what some people came up for it in the thread. Like this thing Ultratech whipped up, and some of the stuff Heropon came up with (one of which was posted in this thread).

Ultratech said:

Almost makes me want to chronicle it in the playthrough thread but those posts typically took a few hours to write in the past.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, look. They're going to offer cookies and stuff at the Sonic Birthday Bash in Japan next week.

That's 260 yen.

Special guest names were added:

Takashi Iizuka - Talking about the History of Sonic
Morio Kishimoto ("Sonic Lost World" Wii U version game director)
Takao Hirabayashi ("Sonic Lost World" Nintendo 3DS version game director)
Tomoya Ohtani ("Sonic Lost World" sound director)
Edit: Jun Senoue will also be there.

And floats for 450 yen:

utKLqrC.jpg

People will be able to play Sonic Lost World demos there (it's a lottery system to actually get in to the bash). So maybe there'll be previews on the Japanese side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom