• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If any of you guys are wondering why Sonic: After the Sequel is taking a while to come out, by the way, this article might shed some light.

http://www.destructoid.com/hamauzu-and-vgo-dicuss-ff-lightning-returns-soundtrack-256169.phtml
Holy crap! Congrats to him! That must be incredibly exciting.

If there's one thing I'm interested in seeing (read: hearing) from Lightning Returns, it's the music/sound design/mixing/editing.

They have Dipping Dots in Japan? lol I thought that was an American Midwest thing.
Apparently so? http://tokyo-joypolis.com/shop/dippin.html

I'd never heard of it before this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta's in 4 days.

They'll be busy playing this*:

dsc006988er9b.jpg

*not this version. SOON. Actually you know what, I should probably just play it via VBA to take screens (ie: as the boss is fading away screens).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, my plan is, no matter what shitty draw I get, to try to 100% it. I'm somewhat regretting going for a Berserker Risk in addition to random/natural crystals, but oh well.

I haven't played FF5 in a while, so I certainly don't mind doing it. FF5's 20th Anniversary was in late December, and I'm eager to revisit it.

Started with Orange. I planted a bunch of other ones like Cherries and Peaches (planted but not fully grown yet). I also just got Bananas, Lemons, Durians and Mangoes (just retrieved them).

I might add cherries and peaches, still unsure. Started with apples, got some oranges and have begun to add all the plants from the island.

qq more

I might add cherries and peaches, still unsure. Started with apples, got some oranges and have begun to add all the plants from the island.

I have some peaches (about 6) with me now. I don't have any cherries anymore aside from the ones planeted. How long does it take for them to grow fully?

CorvoSol

I found your (don't click if you haven't played FFV at all, guys) Ode to Krile to be completely inspirational. Also, I wanted to see how you'd react, heh. That was genuinely one of my favourite posts in that thread. But you know you can only rename Buttz, and Beef snagged that.

Oh man I had some good lines that day. I don't feel half so clever playing the PSX FFs because I haven't played them enough times to have every moment memorized the way I do the SNES ones.

But seriously, Krile is my least favorite character in the series. And that's including Snow, Genesis and Team NORA.

It's just generic techno music for the trailer. I'm not holding my breath.

So I said I'd go to the Nintendo Best Buy event if I had time. And I did. So I did! Recorded video of others playing, too, but Adobe Premiere Pro 2 doesn't support MP4, so it'll have to wait until I convert everything to AVI (once I figure out what codec Premiere Pro can take, because the uncompressed video is obscenely large, and XVID freezes it).

I did get to play SM3DW. It's okay. I'm definitely excited for it, because SM3DL was one of my favorite games of 2011, if not the entire series, and it has SMB2-style character differentiations, but one stage isn't really enough to get a feel for the game proper (other than to say it really is somewhere between SM3DL and NSMBWii, with the level design of the former and the multiplayer antics of the latter, down to the whole floating bubble revival mechanic).

I had to play with the Wiimote instead of the UPad, but on the plus side, I got Luigi. Came in second (how fitting <_<), bested by Toad, who was a real demon with the 3-block-wide 10-coin blocks (30-coin blocks?). Felt kinda unresponsive, though; that HDTV must've had epic amounts of input lag, because really early on it felt like Luigi was responding to somebody else's input instead of my own, making me double-guess whether or not I'd selected him like I'd thought I had. Still playable, of course, but felt kinda weird. The stages look like they'll be more interesting to explore in 1P than in 4P chaos, since there were a lot of nooks and crannies I wanted to check out that I simply couldn't, by virtue of having three other people wanting to go different directions.

Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart. It's probably the most visually impressive of the four titles - Wind Waker HD comes close, thanks to all those shaders, but MK8 runs at 60FPS, while WW is still firmly 30. That said, while the gravity mechanics are inventive (not totally unique, given Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is kind of a thing, regardless of how little I've played it. but still inventive)... it's Mario Kart. A known quantity, whose value has been a bit dubious of late (DS was ace aside from the snaking, Wii was item hell, 7 was great but I didn't feel compelled to finish it like I did DS). I'll probably actually try my hand at that one on Saturday.

Won't really comment on DKCTF. It looked nice, but DKC isn't really my scene. (Really need to hunt down the SNES trilogy one of these days.)

Wind Waker... was Wind Waker. You get to choose between the opening with Aryll and the Helmaroc dropping Tetra onto Onset Island, or the return to the Forsaken Fortress to do a boss battle with the Helmaroc, wielding the hammer and bow. In the case of the former scenario, you actually have access to the Wind Waker and King of Red Lions, despite not getting those until much later, after you go to the Forsaken Fortress and get knocked back to Windmill Island. Apparently this was for "demonstrating the ocean gameplay" or similar, according to the rep - however, the people playing didn't make use of it, so no such demonstration as of yet. (Not like I don't know how Wind Waker plays, anyway; I've beaten it twice over...)

Other than that, tons of joke-cracking and game discussions. Gushing over old Nintendo games, gushing over the Sony E3 presser, tons of snark over the XBone (including the Nintendo rep and a nearby fan mimicking Sony's used games video). Sooooo many Street Passes - managed to finish off the Kid Icarus Uprising panel while I was there. Knees hurt like the dickens after two hours of standing, though, and then I got caught in traffic on the way home (cops completely shut down the route I was taking for accident clean-up, apparently, and I was in the completely wrong lane for where they wanted me to turn), forcing me to eat the fast food I'd intended to eat at home in the car instead... Between that and wasting a night trying to figure out how to edit this video, it's been one of those nights, I guess.

Mark1

Sounds like you had a blast, I'm looking forward to these games. EDIT: Just read you went to a Best Buy event, not E3 so you couldn't try Sonic.

What do everything here think of Sonic: Lost World given the impressions and footage so far?

Started with Orange. I planted a bunch of other ones like Cherries and Peaches (planted but not fully grown yet). I also just got Bananas, Lemons, Durians and Mangoes (just retrieved them).

Where the heck did you get all of that fruit? You've been holding out on me! >:[

EDIT: Also, I need an axe really bad.

On this forum? Not likely!
Good point, pretending we could run entire companies from our living rooms is more of the scene as of late.

*demo impressions*

Sounds like you had fun,
you'd have had more fun had you made DK your scene!

Coming to think of it I haven't actually said a single word here on GAF regarding Mario 3D World. I was hoping for 9-10 Galaxy quality, instead i've got more of a 8-9 style game which is....fine but I know which one i'd prefer, our brief talk here last week about how panic mode Nintendo actually operates had me prepared for this eventuality. But in either case I can choose to play as Toad, suck it Mario, speed and gimped jump is how the cool kids play, Cat Suit looks fun as well.

And I haven't said anything about Wind Waker either, well it looks like Wind Waker, though if we were going to graphically enhance an older Zelda title i'd have gone with TP as it needs it that much more. They claim to have done something about the later sections of the game but I doubt it's as significant as i'd like to stop it from being a downhill slide after Forsaken Fortress part 2. Music will probably remain the same, really it doesn't seem like it was worth revisiting quite yet as the changes just don't seem enough, so it basically is just a way to shut the Zelda fanbase up for like 2 months before they start barking for more Zelda at every possible opportunity.

Finally we have Mario Kart, it looks like Mario Kart, shock and awe. Seems to be throwing all the ideas from the previous 3 games together into a melting pot, cool, hopefully the CHAOS of the Wii versions returns for my enjoyment and everyone else's frustration because while seven is all around solid it was so damn easy I was almost begging for Blue shells to come and wreck my races.

I'm amazed at how god damn pretty MK8 looks. Like, I'm sure that's not just shock of a "current-gen" Nintendo game, I'm pretty sure they put some fucking work into that thing.

I'll note this about DKCTF: you could only use the Wii Remote at the demo. Which meant shaking to do most anything of consequence, again.

I'm assuming that playing it with the Wii U pad would let you use a control scheme closer to the 3DS rerelease, but I'm not 100% on that.

Now if they announce an axed, or completely rebalanced Blue Shell, all will be well.
IIRC in MK7, it ran along the ground a la MK64 and could hit anyone in front of the person who shot it - although it still jumped into the air for the big explosion on 1st Place.

Might be more interesting if it explicitly sought out everyone ahead of it instead of merely having the chance of hitting them, so it's less punishment for being in 1st, and more punishment for being ahead of that guy who shot it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sooooo shleepy.

qq more, are you still planning on getting a RetroN thingy at this point? I'm still curious about it, and I'll trust your judgement with respect to the accuracy of the console's sound and graphical prowess. I'm pretty excited for it. That controller looks like poop, though.

What do everything here think of Sonic: Lost World given the impressions and footage so far?
I already posted a few pages back with respect to what I think of it (ie: not much), and I have to agree with Blaze/Sega1991 and Pietepiet: it's underwhelming and slightly disappointing. I don't really like what I see with respect to control because Sonic just doesn't seem like he stops/turns well (sharp turns look awkward), some of the controls look awkward (especially the Wisp implementation on the gamepad since you have to use the touchscreen to select it; and for some reason it reminds me of Sonic Heroes at times), and the pacing of the platforming is rather slow... which could work, but it's not generally what I completely desire.

Given the staff in charge of this game (the Colours Directors), I'm not very surprised at all with the direction of the game, to be honest. I'll still play it because dang, I can't comment on something adequately without playing it. The short version is that I'm still interested, but I'm feeling cautious about it. Essentially, most of what I've thought, Blaze has said here and the links contained within that post.

With that said, since AniHawk said he liked it a lot, I'll give a shot (uh, it's Sonic; of course I'll give it a shot). He's one of the people whose opinions I put some weight on with respect to platformers on GAF.

Oh man I had some good lines that day. I don't feel half so clever playing the PSX FFs because I haven't played them enough times to have every moment memorized the way I do the SNES ones.

But seriously, Krile is my least favorite character in the series. And that's including Snow, Genesis and Team NORA.
Why did you have to remind me that Genesis and Team NORA exist. Killing me here, Corvo.

Anyway, speaking of FF, Noi and I watched that Lightning Returns demo footage last night and it was... I don't even know what in the world that was. That area was essentially a one-way street. Lightning attacking on the field with R1 or whatever makes little sense to me since you have one of the face buttons available on the field and out of the menu to do it, and it just strikes me as a non-ergonomical way of control (because L/R controls are usually reserved for other things). There is absolutely nothing that indicates that positional damage matters. All the player is doing is making pretty cuts here and there (no comboing it looks like), putting little magic effects onscreen when it's impractical to do so (and lordy they seem time consuming), and the darn thing looks like it's essentially Tales semi-auto battling but slow.

The flow of combat is just terrible now because there's only one character doing the work, and you're not consistently getting work done because you're waiting on ATB cools to adequately attack. You're not really chaining attacks well in terms of a better-flowing system anymore because it seems as though there's a small lag in terms of attack input. And even then you don't have a lot of things to work with because you have 12 commands at your disposal, four of which are currently available to you until you swap forms. So instead of having 6 roles available to you in combat, you have three theoretically customizable roles. The six roles supplied to you in FF13 allowed for more permutations and combinations teams than this because you were then supplied with three other people and more skills to go around (which allowed you to double-up on support or offensive skills). The three roles supplied to you here with only four skills to your disposal at a time just seems like a complete waste.

It's a one-party member Final Fantasy XIII and it looks remarkably boring. When the previous systems were built around synergy, that's what made the games' battle systems kind of "fun" to dissect. You had to plan your command selection around character animation times and recovery times (and even then you had to plan your selection around enemy animation times as well). Here, it doesn't even seem like you have to plan your attacks around enemy animation times/recovery. You can just say, "OK I'll slash at you" and you're not really cancelling coming blows or chaining anything well. Where's the strategy? What I see here is a streamlined version of FF13's combat which was already a streamlined version of general ATB combat, and you lack 2+ members in combat who balance each other out and synergize well to deal enough damage and cancel opponents' attacks when they're in mid-animation while chaining attacks to stagger. And staggering seems like it's even less important here than it was in FF13-2 where you barely had to stagger the opponent at all. Look at it! The player barely had to make an effort to stagger the enemy because in the end it seemed pointless... and they still somehow got a 5-star ranking even though the other two games would've given you a 1-2-star rank for playing like garbage and not being efficient enough in defeating the enemy. What is this nonsense?

OH, and that UI looks hideous. I know I said it looked awful in the initial trailer thread where we got to see the HUD. But that HUD looks awful. Why is it taking up 25% of the screen? Why is it on field? Why is on-field chat obscuring it when it's on the field? Why isn't on-field chat on the left-hand side of the screen while you're at it, HUD designers? It looks like a complete mess. And the camera's wonky when she climbs and jumps. And it looks so devoid of colour it blows my mind with how gritty it wants to be.

It's like... no. Don't settle for lower standards. It's absolutely silly that you're directing money to such a product as a consumer and the package just looks completely half-baked. Why are you allowing yourself to settle for less? All I see is an even more barebones version of FF13, and no sir, I do not like it.

*continues to rant and rave about how silly that dang game looks and how boring it looks*

I had to play with the Wiimote instead of the UPad, but on the plus side, I got Luigi. Came in second (how fitting <_<), bested by Toad, who was a real demon with the 3-block-wide 10-coin blocks (30-coin blocks?). Felt kinda unresponsive, though; that HDTV must've had epic amounts of input lag, because really early on it felt like Luigi was responding to somebody else's input instead of my own, making me double-guess whether or not I'd selected him like I'd thought I had. Still playable, of course, but felt kinda weird.
Huh. That's unexpected. Hope it was the TV because I'm not used to Mario games feeling like that at all.

Thanks for your detailed impressions, btw. Sounds like you had a good time outside of the shitty traffic.

Good point, pretending we could run entire companies from our living rooms is more of the scene as of late.
Hence why I haven't been posting in Gaming Side much; even in threads relevant to my interests. I'm just kinda tired of the atmosphere, and people have already posted stuff in certain threads that I probably would have said in a tome, so why bother. Like that FF15 gameplay analysis thread, for example. Most of the stuff in the OP are things I've already noted elsewhere, so it's a bit moot to post in the thread.

Only thread I've really posted in is the Giant Bomb thread and that's about it.

I'll note this about DKCTF: you could only use the Wii Remote at the demo. Which meant shaking to do most anything of consequence, again.

I'm assuming that playing it with the Wii U pad would let you use a control scheme closer to the 3DS rerelease, but I'm not 100% on that.
Fortunately it's already confirmed that gamepad allows for button control, worst case scenario i'd be fine with nunchuck style, Wii remote alone is plain icky for a variety of reasons.

Master System version would be preferred but oh well.
Sonic 1 on the MS/GG is the real deal, once you get out of Green Hill Zone it goes off into its own deal, no shitty marble Zone, instead you get bridge with it's sweet music, the only time I can recall Sonic having a forced scrolling stage and it manages to not suck. This is in part due to the fact that Sonic 1 here focuses more on straight up platforming as highlighted well in the jungle zone.
It has the best bonus stages that hide precious continues and don't turn into some completely balls minigame meaning i'll willingly dive into them, emeralds are hidden in the stages themselves.

Last time I tried to play through it the game froze at the start of labyrinth so I don't have much else to say but you get the idea, it's pretty sweet.

It's been two days, and I'm still weirded out that I'm hyped for a Final Fantasy game again. I think I've literally forgotten how that feels.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's OK, Schala. It's OK. Noctis is coming. Lightning will be gone soon. It's almost over.
I hope so. ;-;

Do you know what the most amazing thing is?

That I wrote a ~20 page review about how much Final Fantasy XIII turned me off to RPGs for a year and how I hated its design... and yet I think it's the strongest game out of the three Lightning games right now. I can't even comprehend this.

Someone send help.

It's been two days, and I'm still weirded out that I'm hyped for a Final Fantasy game again. I think I've literally forgotten how that feels.
Me too. It's been a while since I've enthusiastically talked about a new FF game with other people. It feels weird.

Hence why I haven't been posting in Gaming Side much; even in threads relevant to my interests. I'm just kinda tired of the atmosphere, and people have already posted stuff in certain threads that I probably would have said in a tome, so why bother. Like that FF15 gameplay analysis thread, for example. Most of the stuff in the OP are things I've already noted elsewhere, so it's a bit moot to post in the thread.

Only thread I've really posted in is the Giant Bomb thread and that's about it.
There's more I could say about all this but it'd just be a lot faster and easier for me to say I agree.

Hmmm, seems everyone seems like they keep saying they need a break from Gaming side now...time to go outside and enjoy summer!

Clouds and drizzle, the Great British Summer awaits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom