• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, they're clearly joking.

Anyway.

This is, like, the best thing. Seriously, I'm loving this so much. The joke that keeps giving.

Actually, from the sources I've been reading, it appears Dream Team does use sprites. They look incredibly convincing, though.
Now that you mention it, it does look like sprites. I'm blind.

ALSO: can we take the shovel and other digging tools away from Microsoft, already? I mean... good lord.

Rendered sprites all the rage because they pop out in 3D. Least they look better than...whatever the holy fuck New Yoshi's Island is doing, or New LttP2: The Search for More Money.

edit: and on that latest Xbone tip, I'm starting to think it's all just one big gag. Like, they know they got Windows and shit to fall back on, let's see how goofy we can be with the Xbone and who will buy it

Rendered sprites all the rage because they pop out in 3D. Least they look better than...whatever the holy fuck New Yoshi's Island is doing, or New LttP2: The Search for More Money.
I'm pretty sure New Yoshi's Island is using pre-rendered sprites, too.

Also, I don't think I've ever been less hyped for a game than I am with New Yoshi's Island. I do keep forgetting A Link Between Worlds exists, but at least with that one, when I remember it exists, I get kind of excited. No such emotional response from NYI.

Like I said in that other thread, Yoshi's Island is a top 25 game for me, and I simply cannot give a single solitary fuck about New Yoshi's Island. The fucks, I can't find them. Where are they, don't know, but they're not here.

How many times is Nintendo going to use the "New" name?
Until they have something actually new to sell, at which point they won't feel obligated to point it out in the title.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old standbys and am looking forward to a good chunk of them (new 3D Super Mario, new Mario Kart, new "2D" Zelda, new Super Smash Bros., etc), but they need to start trying more new franchises. eShop's got a few good college tries, but it needs to keep going.

They also need to stop taking what start as new franchises and then shoehorning the resulting titles into old franchises - e.g., a Prince Fluff game turning into Kirby's Epic Yarn, or the new IP Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures, including obviously-not-meant-to-be-there Arwing segments. It wasn't always like this... I mean, Banjo-Kazooie wasn't turned into Super Mario 64 2 just because Nintendo already had a series of 3D platforming established.

Noi

eShop's got a few good college tries, but it needs to keep going.

It'd help if they actually gave their eshop IP some of that Mario marketing money. Everyone in the planet knows when a new Mario is out, but eshop games come and go and only people who're actively invested into the system know they're out.

iavi

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3. Easy plat, too.

I wouldn't go with the DS Classic Collection, either. I don't really like how those ports function in general (they're ROMs on an emu, meaning you get some blurring or slowdown). They removed the 2-player modes (for semi-obvious reasons, but multiplayer on DS is genuinely a thing, so...) in both Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K. The removal of the menus doesn't allow you to implement the cheats, either. Pause is on the touch screen vs the Start button which really boggles my mind.

I really dislike that DS Classic Collection. Poor form.

Oh, and you get stuff like this, too. Glad someone else spotted it on the Internet.

scc-007nhxlr.jpg

I can't wait till Taxman and Co hit S3&K, if only to get an official release that retains the menu.

...Backbone got rid of the menu in their version?! FUCKKKK backbone
Not just the menu, but it only saves games in progress. It doesn't save when credits roll, and you cannot pick that save up from an earlier stage.

So, y'know, it does nothing S3&K did correctly correctly.

I doubt Yoshi's New Island is a final title.

I think it likely is, before it was just Yoshi's Island 3DS and now they've actively bothered to change it to Yoshi's New Island.
Yoshi series does like nothing much for me, Island seemed to already wring everything it could out of the concept.

It was once YI2? man I don't even remember.
I must've missed a trick here.
Yeah; I remember it pretty clearly, actually.

Never got around to playing it, but to be honest, YI tires me out pretty quickly as it is. Brilliant game, of course, but I dunno, not really my favorite series or anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Candy Crush has a commercial in the States now? My world has become unhinged.

YO I'M ALMOST FINISHED NI NO KUNI. FEELS GOOD. I don't like this game at all. Noi's busy getting the platinum because he's a masochist.

Like I said in that other thread, Yoshi's Island is a top 25 game for me, and I simply cannot give a single solitary fuck about New Yoshi's Island. The fucks, I can't find them. Where are they, don't know, but they're not here.
When I was looking at trailer footage to decide whether or not I wasn't excited for New Yoshi's Island or whatever they want to call that thing, I couldn't feel a damn thing. Yoshi's Island was one of my first Super Nintendo games. It's one of my favourite games of the forever. I wish I could care as much as I want to about this new Yoshi game but I can't.

It looks awful. Everything about it makes me shudder. I never liked that Yoshi made noises, sorry. I don't like the sprites, either. They look awful. Some of the screens look incredibly messy because Yoshi's sprite doesn't jive well with it at all. It just isn't cohesive, and it bugs me. Even in motion it bugs me because that sprite still doesn't work very cohesively with its backgrounds. Can't simply say to play it in 3D because, well, I can't see 3D that well!

If anyone has to say something credible and somewhat intelligent about the spritework and design in Yoshi's Island 3DS it's probably Pietepiet or qq more. I remember both of them genuinely disliking it, lol. Both of them had some neat things to say as well.

Also, lol, Arzest.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old standbys and am looking forward to a good chunk of them (new 3D Super Mario, new Mario Kart, new "2D" Zelda, new Super Smash Bros., etc), but they need to start trying more new franchises. eShop's got a few good college tries, but it needs to keep going.

They also need to stop taking what start as new franchises and then shoehorning the resulting titles into old franchises - e.g., a Prince Fluff game turning into Kirby's Epic Yarn, or the new IP Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures, including obviously-not-meant-to-be-there Arwing segments. It wasn't always like this... I mean, Banjo-Kazooie wasn't turned into Super Mario 64 2 just because Nintendo already had a series of 3D platforming established.
Thank you. I'm tired of "New" being thrown around like it's going out of style, because I know that Nintendo can do more. They have done more. Relying on old standbys all the time will make the series suffer from series fatigue. People will eventually get bored of them. It's just like how Square Enix tried to get by with slapping "Final Fantasy" on everything; it just didn't really work that well half the time because you got mediocre titles with the name FF on them, and it brought down the value of the brand's name.

I also dislike that they made new IPs into new titles in existing IPs as well. I mean, I love Kirby's Epic Yarn, but I do wonder what it would've been like as a Prince Fluff game + Nintendo cameos strewn throughout. With adequate promotion and marketing, they can sell a new IP to consumers, to kids, to teens. I dunno. At least they have X, I guess. Even then, it's kinda like a spiritual sequel to Xenosaga, it seems.

With that said, I wonder if they're cultivating any new talent there. I'm not on the up-and-up with respect to Nintendo's development teams.

BlackJace

^ I like what they're doing with the eShop in regards to pushing new content to the masses, however, I wish they would go the extra mile and take a little chance by putting a more funding into some projects.

Visit some of the indies that have taken a liking to working with you and give them more money and flexibility to work on something special. Nintendo shouldn't be worried about quality, as they can always drop in a check on how things are going. Open up a few Western-oriented studios and encourage them to craft titles that do an even better job of attracting the western and Japanese-oriented gamer; this is more effective than just relying on the latter.

We know they value quality over quantity, we know they know how to make things appeal to a variety of people. Even though I don't care for a lot of the first party stuff that comes out of Sony, I can respect that they really do like to diversify themselves.

These are house-cleaning things they should have been doing during the final years of the Wii, and now they are scrambling to do so when thye have a console in the market. Now they have to take the lumps and pray that they can recover enough to not be as in a piss-poor shape as they are in now.

Luv ya, Ninty, but get a freaking grip yo.

Yeah; I remember it pretty clearly, actually.

Never got around to playing it, but to be honest, YI tires me out pretty quickly as it is. Brilliant game, of course, but I dunno, not really my favorite series or anything.

Yoshi's Island is a game I greatly appreciate from an idea and visual standpoint yet not one I enjoy as much as I feel I should, the focus on those 100 points drains me (blame the red coins) after a few stages and ignoring them makes the game feel sort of flat outside the athletic stages, I think the later Wario Land games did this exploration platformer idea a lot better personally.
YI has quite possibly the best bosses in the 2D platformer genre though.

As for its sequel, YI DS struggled to add anything noteworthy to the formula, they tried the different babies which was not particularly enjoyable, aside from that it basically was Yoshi's Island 1.5 taking so much inspiration from the original in its level design that it makes each NSMB sequel look as varied as the difference between SMB2 (USA) and SMW (yes this is an exaggeration).
Then there were the secret stages that were like rom hack designs, I mean some of that shit was straight up brutal!

As for Yoshi's New Island, well it's too soon to truly tell but the trailer looks like the return of Yoshi's Island 1.5 now with GIANT EGGS like i'm supposed to be dazzled, people keep focusing on the visuals which are pretty naff (surprisingly they really do look a lot better on the e shop trailer but only in a "the 3D looks pretty neat" way) but the far bigger issue to me is that it's just looking like here's Yoshi's Island but worse once again, as I said previously I think the original Yoshi's Island got as much as it could out of that style in just one game, so full of ideas that there was nothing much left for a sequel to do except change the whole game into something slightly resembling it and focused on gorging 30 fruits as baby Yoshis.

Yoshi's Island is a game I greatly appreciate from an idea and visual standpoint yet not one I enjoy as much as I feel I should, the focus on those 100 points drains me (blame the red coins) after a few stages and ignoring them makes the game feel sort of flat outside the athletic stages, I think the later Wario Land games did this exploration platformer idea a lot better personally.
YI has quite possibly the best bosses in the 2D platformer genre though.
This is pretty much my opinion, summed up into one run-on sentence. Right on the nose; I like hunting for red coins, but just a few stages drains me out entirely.

BlackJace

If Sakurai still wants to run with the subtitle being something related to fighting, I don't know what they could go with.

Rumble, tussle, kerfuffle, scrap... anybody's guess.

With the two smash games being very similar yet slightly different I don't actually think them being named after the console they're on is that bad a move.
But of course i'd prefer something snappy on the end, I mean what's the main multiplayer mode going to be called now?! SMASH? hmm, that might work.

Should have been Super Smash Bros. Showdown.

I've only just realized Else probably sees Silver in the intro because of the whole "giant hedgehog carried me to a tree right after my dad died" thing

To be fair to Sonic Team, they really do close all of the loops in 06's story.

Kinda.

Came up with a Smash Bros item related to Sonic:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64327666&postcount=8683

Tell me what you think!

For Shield you could get the reflection effect of a Franklin badge.
Otherwise it's a neat idea...that i'd never use, starman and health recovery items? they aren't welcome in my Smash.

Sonic doesn't really have much in the way of items to lend to the series, though I found it cool how they made the checkpoint post in Green Hill an offensive machine.

qq more

For Shield you could get the reflection effect of a Franklin badge.
Otherwise it's a neat idea...that i'd never use, starman and health recovery items? they aren't welcome in my Smash.

Sonic doesn't really have much in the way of items to lend to the series, though I found it cool how they made the checkpoint post in Green Hill an offensive machine.

Franklin Badge? Good one, I'll add it to my post!

qq more

Put in the truck from SA2/Generations as an Assist Trophy.

I personally would love to see City Escape as a level. You know that one part in City Escape Act 1 (Generations obviously) where it starts breaking all of these platforms in an attempt to kill Classic Sonic? I think that area would be a good spot.

I'm probably not being too specific enough but I hope you know what exact segment I'm referring to!

EDIT: To be more specific. It's the part where it comes from the background and heads straight towards the camera.

BlackJace

Put in the truck from SA2/Generations as an Assist Trophy.

GUN Battle Truck
The GUN Battle Truck made its debut in Sonic Adventure 2. As an end of stage set piece in City Escape, Sonic races to escape its clutches. The GUN truck barrels down the highway, presumably causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage, and puts countless lives in danger. The truck sees a short life after the driver crashes into a low bridge that he had to have seen coming from a mile away. The driver will be missed.

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 (DC) 2001

It'd have to be the beginning hill for me. You could have trams blasting along the ground too, kinda like Onett in Melee. Pikmin Forest in Brawl was hilarious for that fucking 45-degree slope, something like that would be great.

Honestly, if Sonic's back they'll probably just bring back GHZ and do something like a Colours level (Planet Wisp likely), but I'd love for a City Escape level.

I personally would love to see City Escape as a level. You know that one part in City Escape Act 1 (Generations obviously) where it starts breaking all of these platforms in an attempt to kill Classic Sonic? I think that area would be a good spot.

I'm probably not being too specific enough but I hope you know what exact segment I'm referring to!

EDIT: To be more specific. It's the part where it comes from the background and heads straight towards the camera.

I love that bit of the stage so very much.
The Classic Truck brings the legit terror, modern truck duct tapes unsightly blades on itself and throws in jet boosters yet isn't nearly as threatening or awesome.

Not sure i'd want a City Escape Stage though, of all the Sonic settings going with imposter San Francisco is kind of lame.

BlackJace

I'd love to see what they'd do with Chemical Plant personally. The Mega Muck could act as a hazard like whatever the fuck was in the Brinstar stage in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom