• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds of another busted PS3 tale, my friend had a standard PS3, then he won a raffle and got another Slim PS3 out of it, before he got around to selling off his new PS3 the old one died so he had a replacement at the ready for free, what a lucky break that was.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm super-lucky we have a Sony repair center nearby. Otherwise I'd be feeling bummed out. It depends on the cost to fix. If it's too much, I have a PS2 slim to use anyway for PS2 discs and streaming, and I can buy a new PS3. I mean, it's an 80 GB backwards-compatible model. I'm glad it lasted as long as it did.

I'm going to remove the hard drive, though. Not sure if I'm going to replace it with the 320 GB I bought for it because I don't know if I'm going to get it back (ie: if they give me a refurb instead). The last time I backed up the thing was in March, and I obviously have files that I didn't upload to the cloud the last time I did it (so that whole Ni no Kuni spree this weekend).

Clearly, my PS3 was preventing me from beating Ni no Kuni. I think it knows that I've suffered enough. I'm not too torn up about it, oddly enough. Kinda semi-glad. Especially since I didn't get any trophies today and sync'd them last night! Yeesh!
KuGsj.gif

5. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

C2-620x.jpg

Gameplay Demo

Saying the original Lords of Shadow was flawed is kinda like saying Nintendo's game-making policies are a little out-of-date: gee, you don't say let me count the ways. It's platforming was inconsistent with jumping so rigid it makes Simon Belmont look flexible, it's framerate was awful, it's campaign padded out with filler sections, it's Titan battles tedious trial-and-error if you don't do EXACTLY what the game wants you to do, it's storytelling all tell no show...it had it's problems. But despite that, I always believed there was a solid enough base here that with some adjustments(and a PC version that runs at 60fps, natch), they could make a rock solid sequel. I think this is it.

First, all the strengths from the first game appear to be in-tact. The artwork is still gorgeous, foggy castle interiors and shimmering gold goat heads that look like they're made of gold and not just painted as such. The Light/Dark system that made every battle that much more interesting is still here, although changed into the form of weaponry with their own unique move properties and such. Do you go in for offensive power, or do you prolong both yourself and the battle with more defensive, health-granting attacks? The weapons all have added visual flair, from the blood red of the Blood Whip, to the fiery blows of the Demon Claws or the healing blue hue of the Void Sword. Gabe looks more agile than his older form, with an actual ninja flip for a jump and Alucard-lookin' backstep dodges.

The titan battles seem to have gone from ripping off SotC to ripping off God of War 3, more giant moving stage than mini-game boss fight thingie; a welcome change in my book. The platforming...well, kinda early to tell, but that "click here to show you exactly where to go" is kinda humorous. The camera is no longer fixed, but can now be turned in 360 degrees, wheeeee freedom. You're gonna need that if the game is more open-world in it's structure like Dave Cox said, which I'm eager to see how that works.

So, so far so good. Lords of Shadow 2 seems to be doing exactly what a sequel should: build on what works about the last one, fix what needs improving, and introduce some new interesting elements to create an engaging gothic action-adventure for newcomers and fans alike.

4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Trailer

Man, that game title sounds like a nice, cold blue-colored ice crush or some shit. Sure could go for that right now, it's like...90 degrees out in this mothafucka.

Silly title aside, I'm pretty hyped for this, but I can't help but laugh; for YEARS people been speculating about what Retro was doing for the Wii-U. They hired these Naughty Dog employees, ooh, they moved buildings, what if it's Star Tropics, new Metroid, new IP entirely, something that can really show off the power of the Wii-U, etc.

Nope, more DKC!

The salt overflowed, but I couldn't be happier. The sequel to one of the finest 2d platformers in 15 years is a bad thing now? They even gave us non-motion controls AND AN ALL NEW DAVID WISE SOUNDTRACK. That doesn't get you hype, IDK, you might not have been loved as a kid or something. I can't help ya, buddy. I'll be over here, swimming through silhoutte levels.

3. The Wonderful 101

dragonsnthings16uva.gif

awesomestuffmxu0s.gif

Godlike trailer

That first gif has Mecha-Hydra teaming up with a giant Gorilla commando with a plasma sword wearing a beret. The second gif has you avoiding Mecha-Dragons and giant robot hands. The trailer has Not-Viewtiful Joe, Not-Dante, and Not-Bayonetta/Sexy Silvia transforming into superheroes. There's a scene where you create a giant fist made of superheroes to bitch smack a cyber-dragon. You sword duel a giant gorilla super villain with your blade made of superheroes.

All in 60fps. Controls like a fuckin' dream. Directed by the creator of some of the finest action games ever made.

IF THIS DOES NOT EXCITE YOU WE CAN NEVER BE FRIENDS

2. Destiny

Behind Closed Doors Demo

Halo was a great, important game in 2001, innovative, if not "inventive". Vehicles, sandbox arena combat mixed with corridor battles, intelligent varied enemy AI, two-weapon system, rechargable health, cinematic storytelling; these weren't entirely new ideas in 2001 that no developer ever did before, but no one had ever put them together in one game like this, especially not on the console marketplace. It's influence on shooter game design over the next decade is hard to overstate.

Now, a decade later, Halo series creators Bungie is at it again, with a brand new IP, taking ideas from other PC games, and putting together what seems to be a hell of an ambitious title, tailor-made for the console space.

There's a comfortable Halo "feel" to the combat: the slow gravity-defying jumps, the arc of a grenade toss, the weight and sway of a revolver, fluid controlled movement, the enemy AI that knows when it's outnumbered and retreats instead of rushing at you headlong like most badguys. Shooting aliens in the face seems just as satisfying as always, backed once again by the wonderful Marty'O Donnell's sweeping, melodic music.

But it's not just the comfortable rhythm of Halo is back, it's evolved into a much bigger thing entirely. Bungie's game design was always more open than the scripted, corridor runs and tin-duck shooting galleries of CoD and it's ilk, and that philosophy has been expanded tenfold in Destiny.

Players can choose how they look, how they sound, what weapons they carry, what flavor of space magic they want. Playspaces aren't just open, they're HUGE(you see that playable area in the demo), a giant world you can explore with your friends intuitively dropping-in or out.

It sounds like a MMO, but Bungie lead designers insist on not calling it that. They specifically think of it as a first-person shooter, a great action game that just so happens to have a giant, varied, living persistent world with lots of socialization and customization added to it. And from the demos/previews, they seem to have that down. If you wanna fly to the moon, or fly to Mars and travel the world, meet up with new people, hang out around towns, sit around in a vehicle bullshiting with a friend...you can do it.

It's Bungie's biggest, most ambitious title they've ever done. They've been given a blank check by Activision to create a new ip, a new world, a new kind of game for a new generation of hardware. Destiny is planning to do things that console shooters simply haven't done before, ever. And if anyone can do it, I believe Bungie can it. They've done it before, after all.

1. Bayonetta 2

ss8.jpg

Hype as fuck trailer

Much like that other Platinum Games title on my list, I actually don't have much to say about this. You played Bayonetta right? It was one of the finest action games ever, and one of the best games of this generation, yes? Did you see that trailer I just posted? Did you see the whips on that girl's feet? Or turning into a giant purple Bayonetta and straight up headbutting demonic Godzilla into a skyscraper?

2014 game releases, thank you for playing, but your services for GotY 2014 will no longer be required.

Honorable Mentions:

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team(no bros, lol Coldman)

This could have been on the list(because seriously, how fun does this trailer make the game look? spoilers: really fun), but Schala already wrote about it and I can't add too much to her tomes. In my mind, Bowser's Inside Story is the DS' greatest game(excluding ports like CT, aka the GOAT), and this looks to be a continuation of that. Can't wait.

Titanfall

Not too big on CoD after MW1, but that was before the start giving you jetpacks and wallrunning and fast-paced mech combat. Now I can't wait to play it. Love the whole small-scale vs large scale, mech/pilot combat balance they're shooting for.

Rayman Legends

The other best 2d platformer of the last 15 years is also getting a sequel and it also looks even better than the last one. Sometimes life just works out that way.

Batman: Arkham Origins/Blackgate

Arkham Origins looks pretty damn similar to Arkham City, but that's cool. Arkham City was pretty great. It's not Rocksteady, but the new guys seem to know the formula works, and they're adding just another new stuff to keep it fresh. Blackgate might be the more interesting of the two, however; a portable 2.5d Metroidvania by some of the creators behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, including the creative director himself, Mark Pacini. All you salty ass Retro dudes that wanted Metroid, well now you're getting it. With BATMAN, even!

Crimson Dragon

The only reason I'm not more hyped for a new Panzer Dragoon is because it's on a platform I don't plan on buying anytime soon. You almost had me, Microsoft.

Super Smash Bros for Wii-U

Good lord, is that really the title? Anyway, this could be awesome, and if Little Mac is in I'll be forced to buy it, but after Brawl disappointed me in so many ways, I would be a fool to give into the hype again. Cautiously optimistic.

And plenty of other games, this post is too long as it is. I'm excited about the next-generation of consoles, about the games coming later through the year and into 2014. Hell, they even got me interested in Final Fantasy, I never thought that shit would happen. If the metric of a good E3 is seeing games you think could be fun to play, this was the best one in years.

CorvoSol

So uh, today I fought Ibliss as Shadow, but um, didn't Sonic fight Iblis? And didn't that cutscene play before Sonic's fight? SO WHO IS FIGHTING IBLIS? Also, Radical Train motorcycle section.

NOPE.

Sciz

A little LTTP here, but the problem with making another Yoshi's Island is that the original is one of those games that already explored its formula completely on the first go. It's mechanically dense and filled in most of the conceivable enemy and level design space to match. It's the same problem HAL's had with Kirby since Super Star, which is another game that took its concept all the way to its logical conclusion and executed it to perfection. Small wonder they've spent a lot of time since on completely different stuff like Canvas Curse and Mass Attack, and that Return to Dream Land was scrapped twice.

Speaking of Kirby, re: Epic Yarn, Good Feel did go on record saying that they didn't really know what the hell they were doing with the game until Nintendo suggested making it a Kirby title, so that one gets a pass.

There are some games I feel don't need any sequels. Like, I joke about Chrono Trigger 2, but that game is about as close to perfect as any video game has ever gotten, it doesn't need any kind of expansion. Those extra DS sidequests were fluff.

Or Punch-Out Wii. I think they've taken that basic game concept about as far as you can go without fundamentally changing it

--

Haven't seen Beef in a few days. But whatever, not like I care about him or anything! I only think about him on two occasions:
Day and Night

Noi

Speaking of Kirby, re: Epic Yarn, Good Feel did go on record saying that they didn't really know what the hell they were doing with the game until Nintendo suggested making it a Kirby title, so that one gets a pass.

I never completely bought that because there's nothing "Kirby" about the game at all except for the characters and enemies. There's no mechanic in it yoinked from previous games, and you could even keep the same basic plot without the Kirby characters. Even Dinosaur planet made a little effort in validating the Star Fox tie-in with the short Airwing segments.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef's busy playing FF5, probably.

Alright, calling the repair centre tomorrow so I know what's up for sure. Now I only have a Wii and SNES hooked up. This feels weird. It looks so barren without the grill there. I should put, like, a PS2 or Dreamcast in that spot or something.

Snip.

Super Smash Bros for Wii-U

Good lord, is that really the title?
Hold up, that's seriously the title? I thought you guys were joking!

Good list, JC, but I knew I could count on somethin' good from you. You make a good case for LoS2 and Destiny, even if they're games that I'm not really interested in. I'm kind of interested in LoS2's combat, but we'll see how it goes. And Destiny's combat really did make me feel that it was reminiscent of Halo--not because it was made by the same developer, but of the movement and speed of attacks.

I wanted to add Rayman Legends to my list, but we'd seen it before. Bayonetta is one I'm not completely sold on, but I wanna see more attacks first.

That Wonderful 101 summary should be in all threads related to it, magnificent.

I actually think Kirby Superstar is pretty inconsistent myself and not the best of the series.
I do agree on the idea that Yoshi's Island got all it could out of the formula, well I already said so myself. At this point Yoshi's Story of all games has more interesting sequel potential for me.
I've always thought that Epic Yarn actually had more similarities to Yoshi's games if anything, emphasis on collecting, exploration, transformations, visual flare and I can envision Yoshi's tongue doing all the jobs the yarn lasso does, so basically Yarn Yoshi is a perfect fit.

BlackJace

I actually think Kirby Superstar is pretty inconsistent myself and not the best of the series.

Aw, Nocturnowl, you hurt me soul. The inconsistent nature of Superstar was what made it great.

It was a smorgasbord of adventures and mechanics, with so many variables and stuff, much like Kirby himself.

And none of them get enough time or content to truly flex their respective muscles, Kirby Superstar is like sitting down to have dinner and said dinner consists of like 5 slightly similar starters that leave you wanting more of each, but more never comes and taken together it's not really much of a dinner.

I found the format of a couple of smaller Kirby adventures in one title more interesting than pretty much anything else in the series, sans Canvas Curse. I really wish another platformer tried a similar format.

BlackJace

I found the format of a couple of smaller Kirby adventures in one title more interesting than pretty much anything else in the series, sans Canvas Curse. I really wish another platformer tried a similar format.

I agree. The bite-sized adventures were meant to be simple to a degree (I guess not The Great Cave Offensive). Don't feel like playing a full epic Kirby quest? You could play Spring Breeze and be done in 20 mins. Feel adventurous and want to collect shit? The Great Cave Offensive is for you. Got five minutes to kill? Boom, Gourmet Race.

Each game made the complete package really diversified and fun.

Also, LOL at GT giving Best 3DS game to Yoshi 3DS.

Tizoc

I'd prob. be hype for Wonderful 101 if I actually owned a WiiU...or if it had a 3DS version.
Not all that excited for Bayo 2 though, mainly as I
1- Haven't played the first game yet
2- I suck at combo-oriented action games

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good luck, Coldman. You can do it!

Yeah, staying off of GAF really does wonders for productivity and actually getting games done. It's great.

I've been actually playing and completing games in the past week or two, even in spite of being on GAF. I guess it differs for everyone. (I can definitely attest to the lowered stress, though.)

Hope everything works out, Coldman!

Good luck, Coldman. You can do it!

Yeah, staying off of GAF really does wonders for productivity and actually getting games done. It's great.

Because playing games is the only other thing to do aside from hanging out on GAF. ;)

Also bye Coldman, yadda yadda yadda. You'll be back. They always come back.

Maybe if you quickly go snap up some copies of Free Riders Sega will think there's a market for more sequels.

Guys, I reached the infamous dinosaur boss in NG3:RE, this game makes me want to cry, there's so much wrong in this game smothering the barely retained core of its predecessors, every now and then the game almost tricks you into thinking that maybe it's at least almost on the level of the lesser parts of NG2 at least but then it gives you like 5 or 6 reasons in the next 10 seconds to prove otherwise.
In turn it also reminds me that I don't like the angle they started taking the series in with NG2 in general.

Noi

Guys, I reached the infamous dinosaur boss in NG3:RE, this game makes me want to cry, there's so much wrong in this game smothering the barely retained core of its predecessors, every now and then the game almost tricks you into thinking that maybe it's at least almost on the level of the lesser parts of NG2 at least but then it gives you like 5 or 6 reasons in the next 10 seconds to prove otherwise.
In turn it also reminds me that I don't like the angle they started taking the series in with NG2 in general.

You mean you don't like bosses that stumble on their own feet and make things easier for you?

Maybe if you quickly go snap up some copies of Free Riders Sega will think there's a market for more sequels.

And remember, RE is the IMPROVED version. My first experience was with the original NG3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No one wants Sonic Free Riders. :mad:

They said my PS3 would take a few days to fix, which I'm fine with. I took the HDD out and gave the PS3 to them as-is. I considered doing what I proposed to Noi and put the new 320 GB in there instead, but I really didn't want to risk losing the thing. I was looking at some of the refurb stuff they've got there (because they sell PlayStation/Sony stuff and games there, and 60% most stuff ain't that bad). Cheap TVs, laptops, notebooks, etc, too. Vitas seem to be full-price, though.

I guess I'll finally start Pandora's Tower or continue on with Soul Hackers or continue playing Zero no Kiseki or something. Or play FF5.

You mean you don't like bosses that stumble on their own feet and make things easier for you?
Yet it's still the most tedious thing, at least at the start you can speed up the process by whacking its legs for a bit but then the game has had enough of that and actually makes said tripping the focal point of the entire fight making it even slower than it already was, when you think "well at least that's over" it suddenly turns into Crash Bandicoot 3 and i'm running towards the screen being chased by tripping T-Rex only the entire process is basically holding down on the stick and little else.
You'd figure that bit was supposed to be the explosive set piece finale or something but instead it's just the intermission, they decide that it's still not enough and you repeat the first part of the fight again because clearly it was so thrilling the first time around, I have to assume the entire purpose of the second part is to try and disguise the boredom of whittling down it's looong health bar, it finally ends in a QTE bonanza of not one, not two, but three portions of mashing attack.

Were they proud of this boss fight? did they really think it required 3 phases, two of which are basically identical? I just can't fathom what they were thinking with this thing.
Just out of curiosity I checked out the original version of the fight to see what Razor's Edge tried to do to fix this mess, it appears they basically just made it get up faster and have a shockwave when it collapses, that was the bandaid they applied to this gaping wound.
I guess they could have done the old "add guys with rockets for difficulty trick" so maybe I should be thankful.

And remember, RE is the IMPROVED version. My first experience was with the original NG3.

Oh man, I forgot about the original feature where the enemies all cowered in fear and the cutscene super ninpo. I played the demo and that was bad enough, I don't want to imagine the full game in its original form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom