• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose they are pretty similar. I used to register the lower tone a lot more as a kid.

Yeah, that's the one that comes to mind when I think of that battle theme. Wasn't 'til I just listened to the Daytime one that I realized "Oh, I have heard this one."

But I don't want all the other garbage games, I only want Sonic 3!

Hey now, there's some great games in that collection! (Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 2, Phantasy Star IV...) Though the emulation is shitty, so yeah...

Sciz

Gen 2 did a lot of good stuff for the series' systems, but Johto's boring, Kanto's dead, and the music can't save either of them.

I don't know how this portends for a new Sonic cartoon.

He's funny enough, his writing just tended to fall apart when it had to come up with some sort of moral. So as long as Sonic Sez isn't back.

Wonder what other creative staff are in on this.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3. Easy plat, too.

It's a great collection of games, but it's hard to suggest it for Sonic when they couldn't be arsed to make lock-on work in any form or fashion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But I don't want all the other garbage games, I only want Sonic 3!
As someone who likes to speedrun Sonic 2 every now and then, I am sorely disappointed.

Hey now, there's some great games in that collection! (Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 2, Phantasy Star IV...) Though the emulation is shitty, so yeah...
That's true. Emulation is less than desired.

But still, great games on that collection. It's super-cheap, too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's a great collection of games, but it's hard to suggest it for Sonic when they couldn't be arsed to make lock-on work in any form or fashion.
He just wanted Sonic 3.

Still, I hope we get something like Sonic 3 Complete on consoles/handhelds one day. It's a fine revision to the game that I'd love to see elsewhere.

Noi

As someone who likes to speedrun Sonic 2 every now and then, I am sorely disappointed.

That's true. Emulation is less than desired.

But still, great games on that collection. It's super-cheap, too.

See, it's less me thinking that the games are poop and more than there's something about the way Genesis games run that kinda rubs me the wrong way. There's only been a handful of genesis stuff that I can look at favorably, sonic included.

...That and I don't feel compelled to buy a collection of 48 games, of which the ones I'm interested in I've already played and beaten on individual versions. Though I'm reminded that I should get back to the Phantasy Star collection one of these days, PS1 was fun.

He just wanted Sonic 3.

Sonic 3, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, whatever you wanna call the whole thing. :p

Gah, Sciz ruined the moment.

And I had gone as far to withhold myself from saying the very same things (well minus slamming the music) to just let you carry on your merry way.
Though I don't actually dislike the game at all, I do like it, I just don't view it as the poke pinnacle it's often viewed as.

The Sega Mega Drive ultimate collection has aided me well, in particular I played Ristar (disappointing but the concept was good on paper at least) and Shinobi 3 (freaking sweet) through it last year.
In fact it's my main way of playing Sonic 1 and 2.
Then of course there's a load of crud like Gain ground on it but it's all in good fun.

People really freak out over Toxic Tower? I always found Windy Well to be that much more annoying, then again old Owl has a love for stages that make you race against death*.

*except the literal race or die event of Screech's Sprint, now that i'd understand.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
True story: My bro and I are playing DKC2 right now and I already know that when we reach Toxic Tower we will both agree to tell everyone we just beat the game. It's what we tend to do.
Well, now you've just spilled your secret and we'll inevitably know that you're lying.

See, it's less me thinking that the games are poop and more than there's something about the way Genesis games run that kinda rubs me the wrong way. There's only been a handful of genesis stuff that I can look at favorably, sonic included.

...That and I don't feel compelled to buy a collection of 48 games, of which the ones I'm interested in I've already played and beaten on individual versions. Though I'm reminded that I should get back to the Phantasy Star collection one of these days, PS1 was fun.
Now that's reasonable. They really don't run as well as they should, and it's unfortunate. But that Phantasy Star Collection is excellent. Get back to it, because Sega added a bunch of stuff that alleviates pacing issues in those games. Probably one of the better collections they've released.

I'd honestly recommend getting that collection over the Genesis Collection since the games in the Genesis Collection don't have those additions which can make them feel weird.

You know, now that I think about it, I think the Genesis Collection was probably my first platinum trophy? Oh dear.

I'm just glad to have DKC2 over with. Kind of soured me on ever trying any of the DKC games ever again, though.

That said, I've knocked out about 5 games in my backlog this weeks. Feels good to actually finish games these days, heh.

Noi

People really freak out over Toxic Tower? I always found Windy Well to be that much more annoying, then again old Owl has a love for stages that make you race against death.

I don't really think that's a problem so much as the very beginning of toxic tower, were it's really easy to fuck things up with rattly and set yourself up for unavoidable death since you can't climb up anymore. It's different from say, Ripsaw Rage in DKC3 where it's designed in a way that you can recover if you're quick enough after making a mistake.

CorvoSol

And I had gone as far to withhold myself from saying the very same things (well minus slamming the music) to just let you carry on your merry way.
Though I don't actually dislike the game at all, I do like it, I just don't view it as the poke pinnacle it's often viewed as.

The Sega Mega Drive ultimate collection has aided me well, in particular I played Ristar (disappointing but the concept was good on paper at least) and Shinobi 3 (freaking sweet) through it last year.
In fact it's my main way of playing Sonic 1 and 2.
Then of course there's a load of crud like Gain ground on it but it's all in good fun.

People really freak out over Toxic Tower? I always found Windy Well to be that much more annoying, then again old Owl has a love for stages that make you race against death*.

*except the literal race or die event of Screech's Sprint, now that i'd understand.

That godawful snake controls so poorly that its more of a fight against the game's physics than a race for your life. I don't like ANY of the animal friends in DKC2 aside from Engarde, and I only like him because he alleviates how awful water levels are.

Worst animal friend though will forever be that fucking elephant.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ordered that CIB copy of DKC3, btw.

~$25. Not bad, because it's usually worth around $40.

Thanks to Shadow Hog for teaching me where to look for video game prices. :)

I don't really think that's a problem so much as the very beginning of toxic tower, were it's really easy to fuck things up with rattly and set yourself up for unavoidable death since you can't climb up anymore. It's different from say, Ripsaw Rage in DKC3 where it's designed in a way that you can recover if you're quick enough after making a mistake.

I was going to say the one part that's tricky is the string of zingers where you bounce up three to the right wall and have to quickly bounce across another 3 to the right.

Side note: first time I saw that ripsaw I shat bricks, that's one hell of a way to start off a stage.

That godawful snake controls so poorly that its more of a fight against the game's physics than a race for your life. I don't like ANY of the animal friends in DKC2 aside from Engarde, and I only like him because he alleviates how awful water levels are.

Worst animal friend though will forever be that fucking elephant.
That Elephant has one of the best levels in 3, why does no one else like Bobbing Barrel Brawl as much as I do? granted the one in the mill with the elephant is shockingly shitty.

I ordered that CIB copy of DKC3, btw.

~$25. Not bad, because it's usually worth around $40.
I knew you'd come around eventually!

since you don't like any of the others it's pretty much guaranteed that you will hate this game

All the elephant stages in DKC3 can blow, including that boss fight. Bring back Rambi ;(
But Rambi is back, in fact he's the only one that's back!

Blue Squawks is the actual worst animal buddy, he shames his entire existence by lacking the ability to fly in 2 and then in 3 he exists to be like a more limited aerial version of Ellie.

Helper Squawks doesn't count no matter how many puzzle pieces he dredges up.

Back to Pokeymen, The layout may suck but what's actually in the Unova region makes Johto look small time.

Ok, this was pretty funny:

39iNBS5.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sigh.

I knew you'd come around eventually!

since you don't like any of the others it's pretty much guaranteed that you will hate this game
Bean tells me that it's more gimmick-focused and that's why he likes it. Haha. That's pretty much a direct guarantee that I won't like it.

But since I have these...

dsc00699noob5.jpg

...I should probably complete the trilogy.

Bean tells me that it's more gimmick-focused and that's why he likes it. Haha. That's pretty much a direct guarantee that I won't like it.

But since I have these...

http://abload.de/img/dsc00699noob5.jpg[img][/indent]

...I should probably complete the trilogy.[/QUOTE]

Hey that's the same reason I like it, as I said before this Bean guy is clearly on the ball.

Now all you have to do is get DKCR and complete the current Quadrilogy, and then Tropical Freeze when it releases, face it Schala, there's no way out of this now, you have to go in for the long haul.

[quote="Dark Schala, post: 63896921"]I... don't really feel right about talking smack about other users in here, tbh.[/QUOTE]
If I can put on my serious face for a second, this has been a bit of a trend every now and then in this thread, no I don't like it either, cool it on this stuff please.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom