• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn, Ni No Kuni getting eviscerated up there, such brutality yet I cannot look away!
So if it's that offensive I have to wonder why you'd even consider maybe approaching the Platinum at all, that's the biggest puzzle of all.

Oh damn, Ni No Kuni getting eviscerated up there, such brutality yet I cannot look away!
So if it's that offensive I have to wonder why you'd even consider maybe approaching the Platinum at all, that's the biggest puzzle of all.

They always do that.

Proving trophies/achievements are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

They force people to play bad games for meaningless things.

Ni no Kuni is so boring. It downright insults the player half the time. The only thing that game has going for it is that it looks pretty. Even the music doesn't loop well, which is disappointing.

The battle system is a complete and utter waste of my time. The AI are fucking stupid. Even when you give them commands or All Out Attack/Defense, they still find a way to not fucking defend or not attack or hog all your glims or something. So half the time you're doing the work yourself. And then you can break the game anyway with certain familiars, the battles that give you a hell of a lot of EXP, and some accessories that boost your MAG a lot. People say that game's hard? Heck no. I was beating bosses at lower levels on Normal mode that Noi ended up grinding for indirectly. And he probably had a better familiar party than I did.

The game treats me like I'm an invalid. It feels incredibly insulting. I have to wait for a prompt to cast a spell onscreen half the time. The game continues to give me options that should have been available towards the beginning of the game 20 hours in. You guys call Zelda games too hand-holdy? Hahahaha, you haven't played Ni no Kuni! The last fraction of the game is like a Tales game where it makes no sense for it to even be there. I can't stand how this game is designed. It's terrible in terms of game design. Awful pacing, too.

I was planning on writing a post about why I dislike the game after I finished it, but Ni no Kuni decided to kill my PS3. Or as Bean put it: "It just said, no, no more of that stupid game!" And broke down because it had enough of it. :lol

Noi could totally write up something about his experience since he platinumed the stupid thing yesterday, though.

Locks away battle options until the game deems it necessary to give then to you, Tactics options that don't do squat, completely random enemy recruitment, and a myriad of little issues that wouldn't be too bad on their own, but quickly add up to annoy you the longer you play.

Well, damn, I'm gonna trust both of your opinions on this and skip it. Glad I didn't buy into that "savior of the console JRPG" stuff that was being parroted when it launched.

Yeah I know it's happening.

She better be a Tifa cameo, like a "Oh it's her and now she's gone" kind of thing.

If she's important, it will truly be the worst birthday ever.

Honestly, I'd hope we just get a cameo from XV instead.

It'll probably be from XIII :/

Noi

The battle system isn't even the most offensive part of NNK. Gonna spoiler tag this just in case people care about it.

Before allowing you to fight the secret postgame boss, NNK forces you to
go back inside every dungeon in the game, trek back to the boss room and fight a recolored version of every single boss in the game. Whats worse, all you get is chump change and a trivial weapon for it. Worst use of copy/paste I've ever seen in a JRPG.

The battle system isn't even the most offensive part of NNK. Gonna spoiler tag this just in case people care about it.

go back inside every dungeon in the game, trek back to the boss room and fight a recolored version of every single boss in the game. Whats worse, all you get is chump change and a trivial weapon for it. Worst use of copy/paste I've ever seen in a JRPG.

That's just lazy as hell.

Ni no Kuni is so boring.

This. Just this. I can't believe IGN said this game could mixes both Tales and Pokémon elements. It certainly has some of those elements, but they missed two key parts of those elements that make those franchises fun.

One: The speed of battle. Tales series have always been fast, while this is just slooooow and boring.

Two: The badass creatures. If I'm going to capture creatures and use them in battle, then it would be nice to see them evolve into something with badass designs. I've seen final boss Youtube videos of Ni no Kuni and the creatures still look small and cute and cuddly as ever by the end.

They always do that.

Proving trophies/achievements are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

They force people to play bad games for meaningless things.

Well we wont truly have to worry for anyone in here until they start down the dark path of buying licensed kids games for the easy points.

CorvoSol

Yeah I know it's happening.

She better be a Tifa cameo, like a "Oh it's her and now she's gone" kind of thing.

If she's important, it will truly be the worst birthday ever.

I don't mind Lightning since FF didn't even get a rep in KH3D and BBS only gave us Kid Zack, but would it kill them to include Cecil, Kain and Golbez? Light and Dark is this big ol' KH theme and FF4's dudes were all over that theme. Throw in Rydia, put the four of them in, I don't know, in the Fantasia II world or wherever and I'm good.

Of course the real dream is for Balthier and Faris to be pirates in a PotC world and to have Gilgamesh fight you for Excalibur in Sword in the Stone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I refuse to get the platinum for this game. From what Noi was telling me for the past couple of nights, the platinum road is incredibly frustrating, and I think he's glad that it's over and done with. That spoiler bit up there? He was telling me about that on the weekend, and I couldn't believe until I looked up the stupid thing myself. What a waste of friggin' time.

You know how I value games that respect the player's time? That is not respecting the player's time! That's incredibly ridiculous and is almost the definition of "quests for the sake of quests". Bullshit.

With respect to finishing a game for the sake of being able to tear it apart, I was talking about with Bean the other night, and that's exactly what I said to him. I will suffer through a game to the end because I feel like I will finally be allowed to comment on the game and tell people why it's bad. If I don't experience the whole thing or even most of it, then my insight into the game might not have a lot of weight to it. That's why I play through games I dislike so much. I want that chance to eviscerate it.

As someone that loves post game content in my RPGs, that's really, really disappointing to hear.

I would even forgive what he did to Musashi in Samurai Legend.

Funny how the team behind that's working on KHIII now :V

Noi

Well we wont truly have to worry for anyone in here until they start down the dark path of buying licensed kids games for the easy points.

I'm a trophy enthusiast, but I'm not that desperate!

I got the plat for NNK partially to be able to say "I did it" and because I generally like to complete my games. I don't like leaving stones unturned!

I refuse to get the platinum for this game. From what Noi was telling me for the past couple of nights, the platinum road is incredibly frustrating, and I think he's glad that it's over and done with. That spoiler bit up there? He was telling me about that on the weekend, and I couldn't believe until I looked up the stupid thing myself. What a waste of friggin' time.

You know how I value games that respect the player's time? That is not respecting the player's time! That's incredibly ridiculous and is almost the definition of "quests for the sake of quests". Bullshit.

With respect to finishing a game for the sake of being able to tear it apart, I was talking about with Bean the other night, and that's exactly what I said to him. I will suffer through a game to the end because I feel like I will finally be allowed to comment on the game and tell people why it's bad. If I don't experience the whole thing or even most of it, then my insight into the game might not have a lot of weight to it. That's why I play through games I dislike so much. I want that chance to eviscerate it.
You know coming to think of it this is why I will probably finish Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, then again I don't think it's a game I can even really tear into, it's more that I look at it, laugh and then shake my head and it's crazy design decisions, it's more like one of those funny bad games, well so far at least.
Day 4 down, only three more to go? I sure hope so.

I'm a trophy enthusiast, but I'm not that desperate!

I got the plat for NNK partially to be able to say "I did it" and because I generally like to complete my games. I don't like leaving stones unturned!

I can accept this reasoning.

At least that team learned how to make good games down the line.

They just never learned how to make a good Musashi game.

And now there will only be one.

(._. )

I'd like to think Samurai Legend was an anomaly. IIRC, they did the first Musashi game, Parasite Eve II and Einhander, so it's not like they made consistently awful games!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This. Just this. I can't believe IGN said this game could mixes both Tales and Pokémon elements. It certainly has some of those elements, but they missed two key parts of those elements that make those franchises fun.

One: The speed of battle. Tales series have always been fast, while this is just slooooow and boring.
Not to mention that Ni no Kuni's far more passive than a Tales game. I am literally sitting there hammering X to attack most of the time. No comboing here, no trying to keep up a combo with party mates, no trying to create some semblance of party synergy at all, no quickly micromanaging tactics or items because the battles are slowly-paced.

Sometimes I press square or triangle to initiate all-out defenses/attacks that my AI characters barely pay attention to, but outside of that, battles can be incredibly boring as all heck. Very disappointed with the game's battle system overall.

I have some additional nitpicks too, but they're mostly vision-related. They're regarding the world map. But I'm not finished the game yet! I have to replay certain bits because I didn't upload my latest save to the cloud.

Kokonoe

Banned
I keep seeing Ni No Kuni and FFIV in this thread, and seeing it this time, I thought it'd be entertaining enough for a few seconds to ask what each and individual person here thinks are the worst games they've ever beaten. Top 3!

I need some time to think on this.

Village

I know a legendary place where games can be purged from existance.

Imma need a rope

some rubber bands

plane tickets to us/mexico border

Natalie portman

$7000

and half a meatball sub.

and then Meccanical can be happy.

We will never see lightning a crew again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Worst games I've ever beaten? I think I'm gonna need to take a bit of time to think about that. I know Hoshi wo Miru Hito is definitely one of mine, but for some reason, I think I've played markedly worse.

Noi's the Kusoge King, so he could probably tell you stuff readily, lol.

Dear Japan,

Why did you have to invent kanji?

Signed, Me.
They didn't. Ask China first.

The more correct question would be, "Japan, why did you adopt Chinese hanzi into your language in the 5th century?"

I keep seeing Ni No Kuni and FFIV in this thread, and seeing it this time, I thought it'd be entertaining enough for a few seconds to ask what each and individual person here thinks are the worst games they've ever beaten. Top 3!

EDIT: ...wait, actually beaten? Of all the crappy games I've played the only one I've beaten is Sonic '06, and that's no fun for me to post!

In no particular order:

Sonic Chronicles
AssCreed3
Spider-Man and Venom: Separation Anxiety

Village

I willing to argue that DMC2 is one of the worst video games every made.

Period.

It was horrible to get though...

DMC2 needs its own thread, I cant even begin to go into how bad it is here. Just

One level is shadow moses.

That is all.

CorvoSol

Sonic 2006
Parasite Eve The Third Birthday
Final Fantasy XIII-2

The first and third are all around awful. The 2nd is a decent tps with the worst plot ever. Even Sonic 2k6's plot was better than T3B's.

Worst games I've ever beaten? I think I'm gonna need to take a bit of time to think about that. I know Hoshi wo Miru Hito is definitely one of mine, but for some reason, I think I've played markedly worse.

Noi's the Kusoge King, so he could probably tell you stuff readily, lol.

They didn't. Ask China first.

The more correct question would be, "Japan, why did you adopt Chinese hanzi into your language in the 5th century?"

Dude, everyone knows Japan was super drunk during the 5th century. Couldn't tell if that was hanzi or a cat.

Metroid
Metroid 2
Sonic 06

Note: Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are both in my top 3 of all time.

I can't think of anything in particular that I really hated and actually finished to the very end.
Don't get me wrong i've played some stinkers to the end but this is quite a tall order.
I guess I will say that i'm surprised I forced myself through Children of Mana on the DS, that took some work.

Oh yeah, I can answer this easily.

Bebe's Kids (SNES) - So I'm 8 years old and excited for a fun weekend at a relative's house. Unfortunately, I left the backpack I had with my SNES and the games I had planned to bring over to play with my cousins at home, so I was pretty bummed out. Until my cousin points out "Well hey, we just got a SNES, too. We only have one game, though." So I figured a one game is better than no game so the weekend was going to be fun anyway.

The game was Bebe's Kids.

I don't remember much about the game, only that I broke into a fit of tears upon beating it that Saturday night. That speaks volumes about the quality, I'd say.

Mega Man II (Game Boy)
- Yeah.

Powerpuff Girls: Battle Him (Game Boy Color) - I was on vacation with my family, and had accidentally left my Game Boy back in New York. My little sister had hers, though, but she only took three games with her: Barbie's Ocean Discovery, Sabrina: The Teenage Witch: Zapped (I didn't know at the time, but this one is actually a decent WayForward platformer), and Powerpuff Girls. I went for the latter. Wasn't an overtly terrible game like the above two games, just a low effort piece of shovelware. It did have an amusing cheat code that let you fly around as the Mayor, though.

No wonder you try to force that theme on us so much.
I think I tried a NG+ but it lasted all of 5 minutes before I wondered just what in the hell I was doing.

The rings don't even come back in a NG+. The ones you kept in the previous game are still yours, so you can't even really use the shop anymore.

What in THEE fuck

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, what the fuck? You can't even get new rings in NG+? What kind of game design is that?

Also Bebe's Kids is definitely garbage. I remember that much. MM2 GB is the worst GB MM game, and not just because of its audio.

--------------------

I got a message from Coldman to tell you guys to stop leaving GAF.

Essentially:
Hot Coldman Green Scar said:
GAF around the bullshit.

Anyway, he's left for personal stuff. And he will do great things while he's gone.

Sonic chronicles has a chao garden that I hate because it's basically a menu screen to apply a character accessory and that Beef can no doubt hate on principal, such is the power of chronicles, a chao feature that nobody likes.

DMC2
Sonic 06

I can't think of a third one.

I can't think of #2 and #3, but I can list #1:

Quest 64

Wait, what the fuck? You can't even get new rings in NG+? What kind of game design is that?

Uh...the best damn game design on DS!

LkMOfzK.png

Sonic chronicles has a chao garden that I hate because it's basically a menu screen to apply a character accessory and that Beef can no doubt hate on principal, such is the power of chronicles, a chao feature that nobody likes.

Actually I didn't mind it because you didn't have to raise them or anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Quest 64
Good choice.

I have played the Zelda CD-i games before because my cousin had one of those. They're... uh. I can't find words for how terrible they are.

The Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man is legit terrible. Shaq-Fu is indeed bad. Bubsy 3D hurts. Make My Video for Sega CD is obviously terrible (shoot, a lot of Sega CD games, 3DO games, and Jaguar games were effing awful). Hoshi Wo Miru Hito is God awful and I've told you guys that before. Maka Maka is horrible because they literally released the beta.

I'm seriously trying to remember a lot of the crap I've played and I think I've honestly played a lot of crap.

Well, I can think of two titles, at least.

Rugrats: The Movie on Game Boy Color I recall being particularly infuriating. You have to collect X number of items and reach the goal within a time limit. Items are strewn all over the stage, floating in mid-air and such. If you get hit by an enemy even once, you lose all your items and have to start over - I think it prevents death, however, which is small comfort when you lose most of your items with little time left on the clock. Also, falling damage, which also loses your items, but more often kills you outright. The game's pace is pretty much glacial, as well, as if everything else weren't enough. Worst of all... jump is on B for no adequate reason. A doesn't do jack shit. I think the manual implies you can jump on enemies to kill them, but whenever I've tried, I just take damage. Pretty much totally unfun game.

Sylvester and Tweety in: Breakfast on the Run/Twouble (name depending on region) is similarly rather unfun. You play as Sylvester, and have to catch Tweety. Chase after him in these 2D segments that are very colorful and actually look pretty fun! ...and immediately follow those all-too-brief moments up with lengthy isometric stages where you have to solve puzzles and evade enemies that move too quickly for you to effectively handle, and graphics that are considerably more monochrome in nature. Worst of all, the ending has you successfully capture Tweety, only for him to escape anyway, adding insult to the injury that was the game. Terrible.

...but generally, if I hate a game, I'm not typically compelled to see it through. Hell, I have enough issues gathering the wherewithal to see good games through to the end.

So guys, I'm interested in Animal Crossing. What exactly do you do in that game? Also,
what exactly happened in that thread
; I wanna know. :I

Rugrats: The Movie on Game Boy Color I recall being particularly infuriating. You have to collect X number of items and reach the goal within a time limit. Items are strewn all over the stage, floating in mid-air and such. If you get hit by an enemy even once, you lose all your items and have to start over - I think it prevents death, however, which is small comfort when you lose most of your items with little time left on the clock. Also, falling damage, which also loses your items, but more often kills you outright. The game's pace is pretty much glacial, as well, as if everything else weren't enough. Worst of all... jump is on B for no adequate reason. A doesn't do jack shit. I think the manual implies you can jump on enemies to kill them, but whenever I've tried, I just take damage. Pretty much totally unfun game.

Holy shit, I think I actually remember this game. I don't think I ever got past the first level.

EDIT: Is this it?

EDIT X2: ...wait, nope, I'm thinking of Rugrats: Time Travellers, though apparently it has the same mechanics.

Uh...the best damn game design on DS!

http://i.imgur.com/LkMOfzK.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Alright, but you people remember, Sonic characters in an RPG may seem like a cute idea for a game, but it's by Bioware.

[QUOTE]Actually I didn't mind it because you didn't have to raise them or anything.[/QUOTE]

The garden so bad that Beef doesn't mind it works as well.

PKrockin

3. Ice Climber
2. Sonic 2006
1. Sonic and the Secret Rings

Ice Climber is a platformer whose controls are shit and you regularly fall through floors. That alone dooms it to the garbage bin. Not sure if it counts since I don't know if it can actually be beaten, but whatever. I hate it.

Sonic 2006 is infamous and you guys already know why it sucks.

Secret Rings is the epitome of broken controls. It's the kind of game researchers must have given their subjects to play when they did those studies linking video games with aggressive thoughts. It's the most rage-inducing game I've ever played and on top of that every single aspect of the game--graphics, music, levels, presentation, story, etc.--is complete shit. There's no enjoyment to be had from it, only anger and suffering. It has no right existing.

Quest 64

Quest 64 is very, very flawed, but if nothing else I found the combat system to be somewhat engaging and the graphics were nice at times.

Furthermore, there were less than zero other RPGs on N64, so while your friends at school were grillin' yo ass about PSX's FMVs and Aeris dying changed their life, you had to make due with Quest 64.

But you remember you had Star Fox 64, and life was good

YOU ALL HAVE STAR FOX 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom