• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

I'd still rather not give a penny to the company that came up with the shitty policies to begin with, but it's good that it's happening. Those were precedents that helped no one.

headermbua7.png

"A smaller force defeating a much larger army... That is the beauty of strategy."

Welcome to the Warriors series community thread, where we discuss all the intricacies of pressing a combination of pressing the square and triangle buttons over and over again in different patterns. While intended as a thread for discussion on Koei's Warriors/Musou series, discussion on other genre-related games like Sengoku BASARA, Ninety-Nine Nights, and other unrelated games that share the base "Musou" gameplay style.

Spanning over 40 games in the series, the influence left by the Musou-style gameplay can be traced to many other unrelated series and genres.

main2u9u6n.png

main3e4uf2.png

main4lfuxf.png

What GAF thinks about the Warriors series:
Is there really a best Musou? It's the same game with a different skin on it. They are all mediocre mindless hack and slash. Just pick a theme you like, and you will probably like that one the best.

I can't believe Jim likes Dynasty Warriors. Ugh.

What objectively correct people think about the Warriors series:
As a huge Dynasty Warriors fan, it pains me to so often hear the series referred to as absolute garbage, the worst of the worst, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the series. But I'll be the first to admit that it's not an AAA franchise, or an AA franchise, or even an A franchise. It's firmly rooted in the B-tier category of games. But it just absolutely baffles me when people treat the series the same way they treat licensed movie games and Gameloft shovelware. I mean, if the series were such garbage, why then does it have such a passionate fanbase not just in Japan, where it regularly tops sales charts, but all around the world? I often hear the complaint that the series is just rehash after rehash, but I strongly suspect that the people saying this are basing their stance off of the low scores most Western review outlets (with the exception of Jim Sterling from Destructoid) give the series, and haven't actually played a Warriors game since DW2 or DW3.

But the series HAS changed and evolved over time. Sure, it's still essentially the same sort of battlefield action game it always was, but then Call of Duty is still the same FPS it always was, Assassin's Creed is still the same open world action adventure game it always was, Street Fighter is still the same one on one fighting game it always was. But all of these series have changed and evolved over time. Just like Dynasty Warriors. From the perspective of a fan, the difference between Dynasty Warriors 2 and Dynasty Warriors 7 is the same as the difference between say, Tekken and Tekken 6.

Jim Sterling said:
People who bash Dynasty Warriors really don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

It's all happening so fast, my head's spinning.

Guess all that arguing I did in the "Crimson Dragon RPG?" topic ended in a good way for myself. Now I can help fund a chance at a spiritual sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga without compromising my stance on the Xbox One's draconian DRM - because it no longer is.

Look, eventually I was gonna have to buy an Xbone to play not-Panzer Dragoon and 60fps next-gen Halo. Now I don't have to feel bad about it!

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't believe Microsoft, of all companies, did this. lol

Great day for consumers.

IT'S OURS FOR THE TAKING....
AND IT'S OURS FOR THE FIGHT!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I feel like I missed something big today.

Huuuuh. So everyone's region-free except Nintendo now. Gawrsh, I didn't see that coming at all. Must've been Jimmy Fallon remarking last night that Xbox One couldn't play used games.

Noi

You know, I see people complaining that the 10 family member sharing feature got cut, but it's not like Microsoft had to cut it for digital games. But I guess that'd be being too good for the consumer, so this band-aid will do.

Sciz

Microsoft is still willing to be at least slightly competitive, that's a good sign. Still pushing weaker hardware for a higher price, so they'll still have fun with that.

I looked at them as like jagged Emerald rocks.

Yeah, I've always thought of Mystic Cave as being made of rough spikes of emerald and amethyst.

CorvoSol

That was the best four dollars I ever spent. The moment they kissed, my brother's reaction, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, good. I hope Nintendo... gives it a look. We'll see.

Like I said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they dropped their region-lock for both the Wii U and 3DS, and if they lowered the price just a teensy bit.

That was the best four dollars I ever spent. The moment they kissed, my brother's reaction, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS
You truly are the cruelest brother.

See, I'm nice to my little bro. That's what older siblings are for!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
To be fair, my brother and I used to have small spats when we were younger.

Sorny called me today even though I took it in yesterday. I got my grill back, yo.

Let's all curse Ni no Kuni for killing my PS3. Also for making Noi lose hope in all of video games. Fuck Ni no Kuni.

dsc00705itu47.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ni no Kuni is so boring. It downright insults the player half the time. The only thing that game has going for it is that it looks pretty. Even the music doesn't loop well, which is disappointing.

The battle system is a complete and utter waste of my time. The AI are fucking stupid. Even when you give them commands or All Out Attack/Defense, they still find a way to not fucking defend or not attack or hog all your glims or something. So half the time you're doing the work yourself. And then you can break the game anyway with certain familiars, the battles that give you a hell of a lot of EXP, and some accessories that boost your MAG a lot. People say that game's hard? Heck no. I was beating bosses at lower levels on Normal mode that Noi ended up grinding for indirectly. And he probably had a better familiar party than I did.

The game treats me like I'm an invalid. It feels incredibly insulting. I have to wait for a prompt to cast a spell onscreen half the time. The game continues to give me options that should have been available towards the beginning of the game 20 hours in. You guys call Zelda games too hand-holdy? Hahahaha, you haven't played Ni no Kuni! The last fraction of the game is like a Tales game where it makes no sense for it to even be there. I can't stand how this game is designed. It's terrible in terms of game design. Awful pacing, too.

I was planning on writing a post about why I dislike the game after I finished it, but Ni no Kuni decided to kill my PS3. Or as Bean put it: "It just said, no, no more of that stupid game!" And broke down because it had enough of it. :lol

Noi could totally write up something about his experience since he platinumed the stupid thing yesterday, though.

Noi

But Earthbound

I said candidate JC, yeeesh.

Jesus, that bad?

What exactly does it do wrong?

Locks away battle options until the game deems it necessary to give then to you, Tactics options that don't do squat, completely random enemy recruitment, and a myriad of little issues that wouldn't be too bad on their own, but quickly add up to annoy you the longer you play.

Noi could totally write up something about his experience since he platinumed the stupid thing yesterday, though.

No way, I've already dedicated enough of my life to that abomination.

GAMERG0D

What if FF XIII got rereleased on PS4 and XBone but it's reworked to be more in the vein of XIII-2 and/or XV? Like not linear and archaic as fuck.

At least when I play shitty games they over in less than 10 hours. No idea why you guys spend 40+ hour on shit you don't like. Is it because you can rant about it later on? Because I get that, kinda.

Noi

At least when I play shitty games they over in less than 10 hours. No idea why you guys spend 40+ hour on shit you don't like. Is it because you can rant about it later on? Because I get that, kinda.

Well, NNK starts out inoffensively enough and it was charming enough to make me keep playing. By hour 30 though I'm so invested in that turd that I may as well see it through to the end, barring a glitch making me lose my progress or, well, my console dying.

What if FF XIII got rereleased on PS4 and XBone but it's reworked to be more in the vein of XIII-2 and/or XV? Like not linear and archaic as fuck.

I don't think you understand.

I never want to see Lightning ever again.

Not her. Not Vanille. Not Hope. Not Fang. Not Snow. Not even Sazh, and I actually like Sazh.

I want FFXIII to be purged.

Noi

I don't think you understand.

I never want to see Lightning ever again.

Not her. Not Vanille. Not Hope. Not Fang. Not Snow. Not even Sazh, and I actually like Sazh.

I want FFXIII to be purged.

I'm already dreading the inevitable KH3 cameo. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Then I'd dislike it more. I thought FF13-2 was markedly worse.

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom