• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about Suikoden II so far is seeing all these old faces.

Also, they all the NPCs looks much more unique now, so it isn't immediately obvious who's in the 108 and who isn't.

My arcade recently closed, after existing for 40+ years. My mom used to play there all the time with her brother, and my brother and I did for years, too

I didn't even get to say goodbye :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How does one grow up NOT playing the Turtles in Time 4-player arcade cabinet with friends

rough childhood, koko
Eh. That's the first time I played it, but some people may not have been in areas where arcades were the in-thing. But seriously, going to the mall and blowing cash on that game? Awesome as heck.

Stump made a CT thread just for you, Schala. Post something good, and your mod status is good as gold
I didn't even see that thread until now. Now I have to write something good and pick something that people probably wouldn't expect me to pick.

Hint: It ain't 12,000 BC.

Audio Tomes, move over mere audio books, your time is up, "Tome Time" is now.
Cena jokes. ;-;

Actually, in terms of speaking, I'm pretty quiet unless I get to know you better. A fraction of SonicGAF has heard me speak anyway, so noooo podcast right now. >.>

Kokonoe

Banned
oh shiet

MAME + Netplay

I wonder if the GGPO emulator would be better? I'll have to look into this.

How does one grow up NOT playing the Turtles in Time 4-player arcade cabinet with friends

rough childhood, koko

Hahaha. Well, I did grow up with these at least.

TMNT Turtles in Time on SNES
Punisher on SEGA Genesis
Battletoads
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Gauntlet whichever one was at Dave and Busters.
TMNT Arcade
Double Dragon
Spiderman and Venom
Dynamite Cop

qq more

I wonder if the GGPO emulator would be better? I'll have to look into this.

I've played MAME with people before. I recall the netcode being pretty good and that was years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember what version of MAME I've used... if that matters.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've played MAME with people before. I recall the netcode being pretty good and that was years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember what version of MAME I've used... if that matters.

I guess I'll fall back on that if the GGPO one isn't good, I just know GGPO is really good for 2d netplay.

I remember playing Third Strike on Xbox 360 and it felt like I was playing offline.

BlackJace

Oh my god, Gauntlet Dark Legacy was my shit. Same with all the Metal Slugs....

I wish arcades were as prevalent as they are in Japan.

qq more

I guess I'll fall back on that if the GGPO one isn't good, I just know GGPO is really good for 2d netplay.

I remember playing Third Strike on Xbox 360 and it felt like I was playing offline.

I'll look into GGPO as I've never tried that emulator before. Sounds good though.

Oh my god, Gaunlet Dark Legacy was my shit. Same with all the Metal Slugs....

I remember netplaying Metal Slug 3 with Quackula. Shit was fun

Truthfact: I've never seen a single Turtles in Time cabinet in my entire life.

I have seen plenty of TMNT cabinets, however. I distinctly recall the wrecking balls tumbling down the stairs into the fire from Chuck E. Cheese as a kid.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I made a post about one of the less popular choices!
Going through the thread, apparently some think that my choice is a low point in the game, but I feel like that's where a lot of the enemy design choices started becoming prevalent (ie: strategy, what skills you should use, etc.; not attacking willy-nilly).

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh my god, Gaunlet Dark Legacy was my shit. Same with all the Metal Slugs....

zRB4eiV.gif

Heck yeah! Gauntlet Dark Legacy is one of my favorite games of that gen. So darn fun, and crazy.

Love the music, too.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy - Province (Fields)

-edit-

240p youtube?! you sadden me! I need higher quality than this!

My brother and I played Gauntlet Dark Legacy on the GC, because the arcade kept sucking our quarters. GREEN WIZARD NEEDS FOO--nah, fuck that Midway, we're on to your schemes

I knew when Kieron Gillen called Left 4 Dead "Doom meats Gauntlet" it was gonna be the best co-op game of them all

Kokonoe

Banned
My brother and I played Gauntlet Dark Legacy on the GC, because the arcade kept sucking our quarters. GREEN WIZARD NEEDS FOO--nah, fuck that Midway, we're on to your schemes

Gamecube actually is the definitive version, it has the most content.

YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE DRAGONS LAIR.

local pizza place had an Arctic Thunder cabinet, fully working fan that blew wind in your face, and you sat down on this fake ski mobile and it rumbled and shit when you drove. Shit was godlike.

Midway was kinda like Sega, and that their heyday was in the 90s when you could get by making high-concept arcade games for a living. When you had to actually translate that into fully-featured console games consumers wanted, they spent a lot of money on shit that didn't pan out, and now Midway doesn't exist, and Sega is, whatever it is now

BlackJace

local pizza place had an Arctic Thunder cabinet, fully working fan that blew wind in your face, and you sat down on this fake ski mobile and it rumbled and shit when you drove. Shit was godlike.

Midway was kinda like Sega, and that their heyday was in the 90s when you could get by making high-concept arcade games for a living. When you had to actually translate that into fully-featured console games consumers wanted, they spent a lot of money on shit that didn't pan out, and now Midway doesn't exist, and Sega is, whatever it is now

Oh yeah, Arctic Thunder was great too.

One of the local movie theaters has House of the Dead there.

But it's behind all the theaters, meaning I'd have to buy a movie ticket to go play it. Which means the only logical time to play it would be after a movie, when I'd be a little tired out and not that interested in playing an arcade game. (Unless I waste the ticket and go directly to the game, but that's not really my style.)

The local laundromat had a House of the Dead 2 cabinet for the longest, though I stopped using it once I got the DC port.

Aside from the usual standbys (MvC, TMNT, Daytona, etc.) my local pizza place had a Metal Slug 3 machine. I think I spent more time in that place playing that than actually eating, heh.

I miss arcade cabinets actually being prevalent.

Pizza place over here has a Terminator Salvation machine...it's surprisingly pretty awesome. Pretty well balanced, nice variety of sub-weapons, enemy types and set pieces, surprisingly lengthy for a light gun game. Fulfilled my childhood dream of wanting to fighting Terminators in the future with big plastic machine guns.

I heard Terminator Salvation for the arcade was pretty decent, yeah.

Better than the shitfest of a home version, anyway (completely different game, though).

Pizza place over here has a Terminator Salvation machine...it's surprisingly pretty awesome. Pretty well balanced, nice variety of sub-weapons, enemy types and set pieces, surprisingly lengthy for a light gun game. Fulfilled my childhood dream of wanting to fighting Terminators in the future with big plastic machine guns.

You can admit you went to a Cici's, you know. I won't judge you.

BlackJace

my local pizza place had a Metal Slug 3 machine. I think I spent more time in that place playing that than actually eating, heh.

I miss arcade cabinets actually being prevalent.

Same, I had a Pizza Boli's down the road that had MS 3. The owner would give me an extra quarter or two since my family went there often. Good times.

Sciz

Guys. Guys. I just found out TMNT Turtles in Time had a 4 player arcade version.

I gotta try this!

It has the superior version of the soundtrack, too. Worse controls and a bit less content, however. One of those cases where there isn't a true definitive version.

It has the superior version of the soundtrack, too. Worse controls and a bit less content, however. One of those cases where there isn't a true definitive version.

A version of Turtles in Time with the far superior arcade soundtrack, four man multiplayer, and the mechanics/content of the SNES version would be divine. Shame it'll never, ever happen.

Tizoc

Oh that reminds me: The arcade I went to had Sonic 1 cabinet, but I think it only played up til Marble Zone? I used to suck at Sonic 1 as a kid for whatever reason, but could play Sonic 2 fine...

That reminds me, seeing Super Sonic for the first time in 3 blew my mind...and then Knuckles stealing all the Emeralds.

Ugh. This is what Reshelled should've been. Instead they managed to make the patron saint of shitty remakes.

Eh I didn't think it was that bad, my brothers, friends and young relatives still enjoy playing it from time to time.

Eh I didn't think it was that bad, my brothers, friends and young relatives still enjoy playing it from time to time.

I mean, even ignoring the forgettable music and the kinda crappy visuals, it's just a very mechanically weird game. Even when judging it on it's own and not in comparison to the original, there's just a feeling of clunkiness when controlling and attacking with the characters that really bothers me.

Between Re-Shelled and the butchered PS2/GC/Xbox ports, it's a shame that the SNES version is the only viable home port. IIRC, the first game got a decent port on XBLA, but that's been long since delisted.

Edit: That reminds me, I should get Simpsons arcade before that eventually disappears, too.

Tizoc

I mean, even ignoring the forgettable music and the kinda crappy visuals, it's just a very mechanically weird game. Even when judging it on it's own and not in comparison to the original, there's just a feeling of clunkiness when controlling and attacking with the characters that really bothers me.

Between Re-Shelled and the butchered PS2/GC/Xbox ports, it's a shame that the SNES version is the only viable home port. IIRC, the first game got a decent port on XBLA, but that's been long since delisted.

Edit: That reminds me, I should get Simpsons arcade before that eventually disappears, too.

My bro and I beat Simpsons, it's OK, but I think it'd be more fun if 4-player+I used the combination attacks.
Oh and play it on Japan ver. since I hear it's more lenient or so I've read.

Yeah, Konami arcade beat-em ups are notorious for having the difficulty jacked up in their international versions for the purpose of draining players' of as much of their money as possible. I don't believe they were the only company to do it, but they were definitely the biggest offender (X-Men Arcade being one of the best examples.)

Hell, that kind of extends to their console games, too. The Japanese versions of Contra III and Contra: Hard Corps are way more lenient than their US counterparts. (The US version of the latter game arguably being the hardest game in the series)

Tizoc

Now that I think about it, Sonic Battle is well accepted right? Would've been cool if it had a 4-player beat'em-up style game...

qq more

I didn't like Battle much since I got burned from the bad single player experience. The battle system was decent enough... wouldn't mind a sequel.

Kokonoe

Banned
Now that I think about it, Sonic Battle is well accepted right? Would've been cool if it had a 4-player beat'em-up style game...

The fighting itself is all right, not too bad outside of the balance between the characters. The main mode is ridiculous, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom