• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel bad for those Unleashed team who create all those great lookin' art assets, that players will speed by in a blur and the whole stage is over in less than five minutes.

PKrockin

S...so basically, what you're trying to tell us is that the Werehog stages takes up really 90% or more of the game?

All those people who said "half of the game is good" were lying. For every 5 minute Sonic stage there's a 25-30 minute Werehog stage. So like 15-20% of the game is good.

You guys are right though, the music is pretty nice. I wish I could hear it over the battle theme. Actually, no, I don't, because the stage music playing means I'm doing pointless platforming, box-pushing, switch-pressing and tightrope-walking instead of beating up stuff.

Blueblur1

Sucks to hear that there will be no vocal themes. I love all the old Sonic Team vocal themes. Especially the Burning Rangers theme.

All those people who said "half of the game is good" were lying. For every 5 minute Sonic stage there's a 25-30 minute Werehog stage. So like 15-20% of the game is good.

You guys are right though, the music is pretty nice. I wish I could hear it over the battle theme. Actually, no, I don't, because the stage music playing means I'm doing pointless platforming, box-pushing, switch-pressing and tightrope-walking instead of beating up stuff.

I think they look at it like... for every Sonic stage, there's a Werehog stage to accompany it. Sonic and Werehog are split evenly for bosses. Etc.

If you are looking at clock estimates, yes, you do spend probably close to twice as long as the Werehog as you do as Sonic. Though it's worth mentioning that some of the Werehog stages are under 10 minutes if you know what you're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZh5RF98Omo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ihN0Wc5Kc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3F1nbCyr2A

Of course, the real problem is that some of that stuff isn't even possible until after you've beaten the game.

PKrockin

If you know what you're doing, and you don't have to collect all the medals to unlock the stages, and you can one-shot the enemies, and you don't need to kill enemies for experience because you're max level...

Unfortunately I often end up dying once or twice after a long brawl or platforming section too.

Rlan

Playing project unleashed made me appreciate Colours and Generations even more. I love the artstyle of Unleashed, but just hate the level design. Such shit.

Tizoc

So based off sonic cd vs. 3&K thread:
How would you guys envision Sonic CD's stages being like, to better accomidate for the exploration and time travel elements?

BHZ Mayor

Hay guise. Playing Jak 2 immediately after Ratchet and Clank was not a good idea. With every passing mission, I'm starting to see why AniHawk hates this game so much. On my current run, I just did 7 missions in a row, and with the exception of getting the seal piece at the dig (chock full of those annoying scorpion things) none of them had ANYTHING to do with any platforming whatsoever. Seriously, what was Naughty Dog thinking with this game? I came very close to just dropping the game during the Hellcat mission.

Also, they really laid the edge on thick in this game. "Hey, we kicked the Baron's ASS!" Yes, Jak. I get it. You said 'ass'. So adult. The first game was clearly the best one of this trilogy.

On a more positive note, even after the future improvements, the first Ratchet and Clank is still an excellent game, with the exception of Ratchet being a jerk for the entire middle of it. I think I like that game more than I have any business doing.

Tizoc

I rage quitted Ratchet 1, I just couldn't stand the holiday beach planet stage, really ticked me off =_=

Will try the other 2 games though~

...and yeah Jak 2...I beat it as a kid but I still dislike it, I don't think I would ever replay it again. Jak 1 is still awesome and I would replay it once a year at least, really love this platformer <3

Now that I think aout it, Jak 1 and Uncharted 1 were my first PS2 and PS3 games haha.

I'll take any opportunity to berate Jak 2 so here goes, Jak 2 destroyed what could have been a perfectly good series before it truly got started, fuuuck that game.

I liked some parts of Jak 2 but they were sandwiched between the parts I didn't like, the music was good enough and some of the areas were cool to be around but it was a bit too dark and gritty for my tastes.

Woah, I was already listening to said theme as I read that post, certainly seems like a step up from past M&L games, not going to lie, i've always found the M&L soundtracks lacking outside of a handful of themes.

Wait, what Fire Emblem battle theme are we talking about here?

Halfway through the year and i've yet to come across a soundtrack I really rate from any game i've played so far, there's been some pretty good ones but nothing that has really grabbed me.

Then again the rest of the year still has Rayman, Ace Attorney and some guy called Dave Wise or something who I hear is supposed to be pretty good so maybe i'll get deluged by awesome music later on.

Oh yeah and Sonic, woah, almost forgot that one in the thread about the series no less.

What is up with video games and "darker, edgier" sequels?

Jak 2
Prince of Pesia Warrior Withing
Dragon Age 2

and so on.

Stop that shit video games.

Also, I just finished Suikoden I on emulator and just started Suikoden II.

Wow look at all this animation. And the environments have depth now. It's so fancy.

qq more

Because darker and edgier = instant improvement!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope Sonic Lost World will have a sequel where Sonic starts swearin' and avenges Tails who was brutally murdered by fox-eating Motobugs.

Question is Meccanical is Suikoden 2 also darker and edgier?

No sequel gets darkier and edgier than DKC2, that bleak island with ghost crows, shit was hardcore.

Halfway through the year and i've yet to come across a soundtrack I really rate from any game i've played so far, there's been some pretty good ones but nothing that has really grabbed me.

Then again the rest of the year still has Rayman, Ace Attorney and some guy called Dave Wise or something who I hear is supposed to be pretty good so maybe i'll get deluged by awesome music later on.

Oh yeah and Sonic, woah, almost forgot that one in the thread about the series no less.

Clearly you didn't play Metal Gear Rising and understand the Rules of Nature.

And Bioshock Infinite had some great music in there! Including some old-timey remixes of modern songs. A lot of them work best in the context of the game however, like that great Songbird escape song, that's straight up Johnny Greenwood with some Terminator mixed in.

I'm looking forward to Ace Attorney 5's soundtrack myself. If it's anything like AA3's soundtrack (And well, considering the composer...), there's bound to be a variety of great stuff in there.

Jak 2
Dragon Age 2

and so on.

Not just games, I think the natural order of things is to follow-up lightheard adventure romps with more "serious", darker, edgier material.

First Star Wars movie, straight up boy's fantasy adventure, rescuing princess, evil empire, Giant Death Star, pew pew pew, fun times for everybody.

Second Star Wars movie, much darker, good guys always on the run, bad guy is your dad, harsher tone overall, good guys straight up LOSE at the end and send audiences home unhappy(although it's often held up as the best in the series BECAUSE of it's more serious drama elements).

Third Star Wars tries to make up for darkness, has over a hour of Muppets fucking around between all the Star Wars scenes, retreads first movie plot points, evil empire, giant Death Star, pew pew pew.

Indiana Jones is similar, although the consensus being that ToD is the worst. Indy is very much like PoP in that regard. First one is magical, lighthearted adventure, second one is darker and edgier and everybody's like "wtf is this where is the charming hero and the romantic chemistry and the lightheartedness wtf that guy's heart just got ripped out", third one tries to overcompensate for darkness, goes back to first movie plotpoints(LC: Nazis and Christian artifacts, The Two Thrones: The Vizier and that Daggers of Time), brings back first movie supporting cast(Indy has Marcus/Sallah, Prince has Farah again), tries really hard to be light and funny and is mostly successful, although the first is still the best.

Clearly you didn't play Metal Gear Rising and understand the Rules of Nature.

And Bioshock Infinite had some great music in there! Including some old-timey remixes of modern songs. A lot of them work best in the context of the game however, like that great Songbird escape song, that's straight up Johnny Greenwood with some Terminator mixed in.
Oh I played it, I liked its music, I just didn't love it. So in that sens perhaps you're right, maybe I didn't understand.
Bioshock Infinite has great use of music certainly, very strong for complimenting the scenes they're in.

So far it seems to be in the "bigger and better" category as opposed to "darker and edgier".
I have a hunch this was probably the right way to go about things.

I'm looking forward to Ace Attorney 5's soundtrack myself. If it's anything like AA3's soundtrack (And well, considering the composer...), there's bound to be a variety of great stuff in there.

Really dug the composers work on Investigations, now we get even stronger sound quality, should be a treat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why does it seem like almost everyone in this thread has played Jak II within the last 8 months? You won't be seein' me play that anytime soon.
KuGsj.gif

I started writing up impressions for Ni no Kuni. Now all that’s left is to beat the stupid thing. And start the sidequest that Noi felt insulted by.

So based off sonic cd vs. 3&K thread:
How would you guys envision Sonic CD's stages being like, to better accomidate for the exploration and time travel elements?
But it does. After playing it for a while, it's pretty easy to find routes for the time travel. Of course, I had to watch one of Bean's videos to learn how to do one stage's path, but in some cases, the levels do facilitate having you explore around and backtrack in order to find areas where it's perfectly fine to time travel into. Not to mention some of the stuff in the levels end up facilitating the player to explore more (ex: alternate exit in Collision Chaos, the Metal Sonic holograms, the time machines, etc). The design facilitates making the player themselves learn and understand how the levels work, and how the physics in a Sonic game is supposed to work. Do you have enough speed to travel through time? Will you be able to peel-out on top of a hill and then jump appropriately to reach something on a platform you couldn’t get to before? Do you understand the momentum springs give you in order to facilitate time travel? I… kinda like that design because it teaches the player to learn themselves rather than being completely straightforward. Honestly, when it comes to exploration, the title I can appropriately compare it to in that regard is Sonic Unleashed, and I feel like CD did it better (and I like Unleashed a lot, so that says something). I do wish that the game gave you apt reasons to travel forward in time vs. constantly going back to the past.

The only one I would probably fix is Wacky Workbench...1. That stage is a disaster. In general, though? I guess I'd probably take some springs and bumpers away (and increase the buffer of time in which it takes for the bouncy floors in Wacky Workbench to work to give the player a chance to use the lower path more often than platform their way across) in order for people to feel like the levels flow better. Otherwise... I'm not sure that it's bad. I think most people will like Palmtree Panic and Quartz Quadrant the most, though.

I dunno. I like Sonic CD. It's great. Like Sciz said probably years ago, Sonic CD just seems to be built on top of Spring Yard Zone's general qualities with respect to the level design. Sonic 2/3&K are built based on Green Hill Zone's level design and mechanics. I genuinely like Spring Yard, so it's probably not a surprise that I like Sonic CD at all.

Again, it’s a “to each their own” sort of deal.

Tizoc

I'm sorry Fire Emblem, I'mma let you finish, but MARIO AND LUIGI DREAM TEAM HAD THE BEST 3DS RPG BATTLE THEME OF ALL TIME

OF ALL TIME

/YokoShimomuraDaBest

DAMNIT I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IT GOT RELEASED!

Because darker and edgier = instant improvement!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope Sonic Lost World will have a sequel where Sonic starts swearin' and avenges Tails who was brutally murdered by fox-eating Motobugs.

That is stupid and not humorous =/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I won't do the stupid insulting sidequest, then, because I think I'd get pretty ticked off with it.

Not to mention that these endgame bosses are complete jokes so far. Apparently a guide said you had to be in the 80s to beat the final bosses? Dude, I'm like at Level 65 on Normal mode and I'm kicking cans all over the place.

Jak 2
Dragon Age 2

and so on.

Also, I just finished Suikoden I on emulator and just started Suikoden II.

Wow look at all this animation. And the environments have depth now. It's so fancy.

This reminds me of how Battle Network 2 was the darkest of the MMBN series. So much swearing, too!

I&#8230; kinda like that design because it teaches the player to learn themselves rather than being completely straightforward. Honestly, when it comes to exploration, the title I can appropriately compare it to in that regard is Sonic Unleashed, and I feel like CD did it better (and I like Unleashed a lot, so that says something). I do wish that the game gave you apt reasons to travel forward in time vs. constantly going back to the past.

That was something that nagged at me when I played Sonic CD. The time travel is a neat idea, but it never seemed like there was a good reason to go forward in time, aside from altering the level design somewhat. Heading to the future was more detrimental than anything, and once you get to the past you typically wanted to avoid heading back to the present.

Sciz

I dunno. I like Sonic CD. It's great. Like Sciz said probably years ago, Sonic CD just seems to be built on top of Spring Yard Zone's general qualities with respect to the level design. Sonic 2/3&K are built based on Green Hill Zone's level design and mechanics. I genuinely like Spring Yard, so it's probably not a surprise that I like Sonic CD at all.

You remember my off-the-cuff rambling about design theory better than I do.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally done with this nonsense. It partially factored into me not playing RPGs for half a year, it broke my PS3, it made me incredibly bored and somewhat irritated with its game design in general, but I beat this sucker. Gonna write impressions later. Because I have a lot to say.

dsc00712x3esi.jpg
dsc007134aipx.jpg

That was something that nagged at me when I played Sonic CD. The time travel is a neat idea, but it never seemed like there was a good reason to go forward in time, aside from altering the level design somewhat. Heading to the future was more detrimental than anything, and once you get to the past you typically wanted to avoid heading back to the present.
This is true. When you're in the past, you generally want to stay there because there aren't a lot of enemies to contend with after you hit the generator. Adding some sort of incentive or even putting the Metal Sonic holograms in the future and having the holograms actually do something would be nice. It's a shame, because sometimes I feel like the future levels are just wasted.

You remember my off-the-cuff rambling about design theory better than I do.
It stuck with me because you made such a good point when you said it, iirc. But I have a tendency to remember things like that for some reason, haha.

NEO0MJ

Just finished Sonic Generations. While it had some faults, gameplay was still great, and makes me hopeful that Sonic Lost world will be good. Music was also nice, I liked the remixes.
One problem with it was how stiff the controls felt at times. Also wish modern Sonic kept his momentum from an air dash after performing it close to the ground, I used that trick a lot in SA2 and I kept doing it here even though it doesn't work.
Another thing I hated was the lack of boss fights, was really hoping there were more of them,
bosses just aren't enough, especially when most of them are just chases. Game was also pretty short.
Kinda teared up at the end of the story.
Modern Sonic you LIAR! You should have come clean and told classic Sonic that things go downhill from Sonic 3.

Anyway, I found the game to be great! This a case where the demo hurt the game and kept me away from it.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Jak II, we don't mention that name 'round here.

I've always been conflicted with it. I love ND, they are one of the reasons I want to make games (other being Rare pre-Microsoft) but Jak II really broke my heart when I first played it. That game was ND at their worst. A hodgepodge of poor game design, terrible vehicle controls, bland overworld, forgettable characters, and a needlessly grimdark story that goes nowhere and gets in the way of a world where everything and anything can happen.

Granted I was still able to find some enjoyment out of it, but it doesn't change the fact that ND had a serious identity crisis during the PS2 years.

NEO0MJ

It seems pretty bad when neither GHZ act lives up to the complexity of the original from twenty years prior, unfortunately.

I still think it was a good effort. But playing the original Sonic did show they still had some for improvement. Speaking of, the final boss in that game was so bull. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but if it weren't for the infinite continues I would have given up on it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still think it was a good effort. But playing the original Sonic did show they still had some for improvement. Speaking of, the final boss in that game was so bull. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but if it weren't for the infinite continues I would have given up on it.
It isn't you; the final boss is an audio and visual mess. Badly designed; the 3DS version's final boss was designed much better, surprisingly.

Heropon

It isn't you; the final boss is an audio and visual mess. Badly designed; the 3DS version's final boss was designed much better, surprisingly.

Too bad I can't experience that better final boss because I can't be bothered to defeat Silver. Maybe I should try it one of these days, I managed to beat Ys I final boss today after all.

Melpontro

I am so confused, why does the 3DS version of Lost World have online but the Wii U one doesn't... you'd think it would be the other way around.

Sonic Colors and Generations are the same way; the portable versions have true online multiplayer, while the console versions did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom