• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I find it rather odd how During the winter period SEGA had a sale every other week...and non since Spring started @_@

Teacher told me my five page Finance essay could be about anything

so it became about the rise and fall of Sega's console business

resources, go

PKrockin

In the credits of Sonic Colors, Sega of America's staff didn't give me any rings when I jumped into their names. Therefore Sega of America is on the verge of bankruptcy. You heard it here first.

In the credits of Sonic Colors, Sega of America's staff didn't give me any rings when I jumped into their names. Therefore Sega of America is on the verge of bankruptcy. You heard it here first.

Didn't they actually lay off a good portion of their staff and close some European studios after Colours came out?

image.php

That's one hell of a leap but I feel inclined to believe.

Man, I'm learning more about the SG-1000 then anybody should reasonably know about.

Congo Bongo is TOTALLY not like Donkey Kong arcade in any way, shape, or fashion

Has any entertainment media advanced so far in such a short time span?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It all comes full circle with the animated DK series being set on Kongo Bongo island.
Oh God, you reminded me that that actually existed.

I think I was like... 8 when that aired. I know because it was in French first, and was by some French company and was called La Planète de Donkey Kong.

If Retro puts in a Banana Slamma/Falcon Punch, it will be the GotG

and maybe they can break out into song and dance every episode
Pre boss cutscenes to include DK and his marvellous boy band singing voice describing the perils of the upcoming battle.

Oh God, you reminded me that that actually existed.

I think I was like... 8 when that aired. I know because it was in French first, and was buy some French company and was called La Planète de Donkey Kong.

I swear that GAF somehow keeps reminding me of it every month somehow, probably Smash Bros threads.
I think the most clearly French thing in the show is that Candy Kong design.

Sure is a shame that Bluster never made the jump to the actual games, that cheese eating surrender monkey.
Okay it's not a shame at all. I'm sure there's a special place somewhere for all those made for cartoon series characters like Bluster, that stupid cave kid in Super Mario World and of course Chris freakin' Thorndyke.

I only watched Sonic X this one time back in the day, and I couldn't stop thinking, "Ok why are there so many humans in this show". Did they think kids couldn't relate to Sonic and the gang so they need an audience surrogate to steal screentime from the main character of the show?

I only watched Sonic X this one time back in the day, and I couldn't stop thinking, "Ok why are there so many humans in this show". Did they think kids couldn't relate to Sonic and the gang so they need an audience surrogate to steal screentime from the main character of the show?

Yes. And like many decisions made by execs who don't know shite about shite, they were wrong.

All we ever wanted, was the Sonic OVA stretched out into 12-24eps.

That's all they had to do, goddamn. Then again even the Sonic OVA had some "Who the fuck are they and why are they here" moments, but it was all good.

Oh man, I didn't even remember that guy was a character until now.

what are you people doing
I'm not sorry for this

On top of that there was a pretty large set of other human characters, you had Chris' shitty friends, his Japanese butler, spanish maid and his school teacher is like a secret agent or some shit.
It gets better when the character viewers are supposed to relate to is a rich kid who lives in a mansion, woe is him because his famous superstar parents are too busy, yeah that'll do!

That's all they had to do, goddamn. Then again even the Sonic OVA had some "Who the fuck are they and why are they here" moments, but it was all good.

Yeah, like who the heck was that owl? I watched that and pretended to my brother I totally knew who he was, oh yeah, he's an important Sonic character, and then he promptly faded into obscurity. Stupid, stupid owl.

Also, GENESIS DOES

YEAH HOLD DAT 68000 GPU IN YA MOUTH, SON

(I'm sharing all my Sega research with ya'll, I hope you don't mind)

BANANA SLAMMA'!

For some reason this show had copious amounts of singing in it, I remember DK having a very soulful voice.

This show was weird.

Hold the phone, there was an Owl in that Sonic OVA? hot damn!

....Oh dear, no, not this way dammit!
tumblr_m8kmu5tdLY1qlj42ao1_400.png

My father just walked into the room asking me if this show was still on the air because he heard the music.

Shit.

The reason why I know about this show is because when I was little, there was a teacher strike and I was out of school for two weeks. This was the only thing that was on TV!

The results of posting that opening have been greater than I could ever have imagined, I really want to believe the "HOO HAA" stuff is what sealed the deal.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There was a Tintin cartoon?

I only read the books (Which I need to buy btw)
It totally did.

I ended up reading Tintin in French most of the time because most of the books we had in the library associated with Tintin were in French. It was good practice. Just like how watching hockey games and cartoons on the French CBC was good practice.

Y'know, I was feeling old earlier when I posted Sonic #250's cover earlier on here, and now I'm feeling old again. See, I was raised with older cousins, so most of the time, I ended up watching cartoons from the 1980s vs the 1990s. So now I feel oooold just talking about cartoons from the 1990s.

The results of posting that opening have been greater than I could ever have imagined, I really want to believe the "HOO HAA" stuff is what sealed the deal.
Yes. ;-;

Ya know, this Sonic the Hedgehog guy...I like 'em! He's got...attitude, and he's blue, which is scientifically the coolest color! I think he's gonna catch on with people

By 1992, Sega had 60% of the North American video game console market. In less than a decade, they would be run out of the business. Yes, I'm already inching into the "spectacular failure of overconfidence and woefully misguided business practices" era of Sega's history!

Holy shit, I actually forgot about the DKC cartoon. Don't remember if it was any good, but I certainly remember it being a thing.

I also remember it coming on really fucking early on Saturday mornings, like 5:30 or 6 or so.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JC are you watching some of the documentaries/G4 Icons that we have in this thread?

The links in my posts in that thread shouldn't be outdated, I don't think (as far as I know, the links in this post are still working? Not sure). And this post didn't make it into the OP.

Hold the phone, there was an Owl in that Sonic OVA? hot damn!

....Oh dear, no, not this way dammit!
tumblr_m8kmu5tdLY1qlj42ao1_400.png
Hey, he looks just like you, Poindexter!
Ya know, this Sonic the Hedgehog guy...I like 'em! He's got...attitude, and he's blue, which is scientifically the coolest color! I think he's gonna catch on with people

By 1992, Sega had 60% of the North American video game console market. In less than a decade, they would be run out of the business. Yes, I'm already inching into the "spectacular failure of overconfidence and woefully misguided business practices" era of Sega's history!

I hope you mention Sonic 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom