• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah, F/Z gets a lot better from Episode 4-onwards. Don't worry if it starts off too slowly at first.

And hey! Welcome to my world. Have a seat and let people tell you that you dislike things even though you don't. Honestly, who cares. Just play what you want and enjoy what you want. Don't let other people deter you from liking what you like, and even disliking some games.

It's okay. I understand. =)

GAMERG0D

Gaming Side wasn't too bad today...we got Thief...and AoE II (which only further helps the fact that Halo games may come to Steam).

Referencing isn't hard. It doesn't take that long. But I use APA, so maybe that's why.

Eh, it just bores me to tears and I can never seem to find anything useful. I'm a strong writer (apparently) but it's finding things to back up my points where I fall apart.

Maybe it's just easier to do that in whatever you do. Or maybe you're just super smart. I fear the latter is probably the case.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, people saying Lightning weren't limited to the list of usual suspects and then there was the obligatory post about the protagonist of a game that doesn't exist. Help.
How is he even the best protagonist this gen if he doesn't even have a game and we barely know about his personality?

*crumples paper; tosses into garbage*

Eh, it just bores me to tears and I can never seem to find anything useful. I'm a strong writer (apparently) but it's finding things to back up my points where I fall apart.

Maybe it's just easier to do that in whatever you do. Or maybe you're just super smart. I fear the latter is probably the case.
I write in the sciences and linguistics, so I do writing in the humanities and the sciences. It just depends on the situation, really.

kayos90

Real talk: Don't take this as anything offensive if possible. I'm trying to say this with the best intentions possible. So... yeah. Here goes.

While it depends on the paper, most papers require you to write something after you've researched and found proof. Not backwards.

I've noticed this with many writings in class at my school. People have a presupposition or an idea of what to write and then begin to start looking for text/evidence to back it up. This is a tedious, unrelenting process that rarely works. Rather, it's best to research and understand the subject at hand and then come up with a thesis/purpose for it after you have the material. After all, how are you going to come up with a conclusion when you don't have any material to draw from. Like I said, this is most cases. I just found it odd that you say you're a strong writer and begin to say something indicating otherwise immediately after it. Then again, I'm a writing major and I have a much more expansive definition of the word "writer."

Again, I apologize if this came across offensive. definitely not my intent.

I kinda held off including Phoenix Wright in that character thread because I tend to categorize handheld generations separately from home console generations, and as far as I'm concerned, he debuted internationally last handheld generation. Otherwise, he would have easily been my top choice.

Yes.

Goddamn Overkill was so funny.

Overkill is so damn great. The humor is crude and vile, and it doesn't give a fuck.

More games should explore Revolutionary War-era America. It's a pretty interesting setting, I think. Just kind of a shame that AC3 didn't do it well, from what I'm hearing.

Wonder Boy in Monster World seems kinda racist, the only black characters so far are spear-wielding, man-eating tribesmen. What. (Makes me feel guilty that I really fucking enjoy it.)

Real talk: Don't take this as anything offensive if possible. I'm trying to say this with the best intentions possible. So... yeah. Here goes.

While it depends on the paper, most papers require you to write something after you've researched and found proof. Not backwards.

I've noticed this with many writings in class at my school. People have a presupposition or an idea of what to write and then begin to start looking for text/evidence to back it up. This is a tedious, unrelenting process that rarely works. Rather, it's best to research and understand the subject at hand and then come up with a thesis/purpose for it after you have the material. After all, how are you going to come up with a conclusion when you don't have any material to draw from. Like I said, this is most cases. I just found it odd that you say you're a strong writer and begin to say something indicating otherwise immediately after it. Then again, I'm a writing major and I have a much more expansive definition of the word "writer."

Again, I apologize if this came across offensive. definitely not my intent.

Not offensive, just sorta obvious. :p I know this all already! It's common sense. I can't sit down and write an assignment without knowing what the hell I'm writing about. That's just silly and asking for failure. I was complaining about a laborious process I'm not fond of, but I recognise the necessity of it, of course.

And I don't think I could come up with a pre-determined position anyway. It's never happened before, I've only ever known what the hell I'm going to argue after doing a bunch of reading. I've rarely looked at an assignment brief and had a plan of how it's gonna look form into my head, usually I stare it for like 5 minutes thinking "what the hell" before deciding to go searching for journal articles and stuff.

This specific essay is one I've had to revisit because I need more reference points, but I'm basically rewriting it at this point. Not the first time I've done that but it paid off well before. Referencing and knowledge-gathering is my weak point in terms of how easy I find the task, not in terms of what I'm getting marked on at the end of the day. In case that wasn't clear- I suppose my original post is a bit contradictory. I have a friend who is writing an essay currently and found it after he was close to finishing there was a load of data pointing against his argument (whatever that was, I didn't inquire too deeply) and I said "well you're rewriting it basically then?" and he said he wasn't, he'd just smudge his argument a little. So I told him he was being daft. See? I get your angle. I subscribe to it, even.

Oh, and my course is marketing, so I imagine our standards of writing quality (on an academic level) is pretty fucking vast. I can only really speak to the marks I've been given and feedback I've gathered.

(Don't worry about offending me by calling out things like that, by the way. If I didn't already agree with you, I'd probably take your reply as food for thought anyway.)

kayos90

Wonder Boy in Monster World seems kinda racist, the only black characters so far are spear-wielding, man-eating tribesmen. What. (Makes me feel guilty that I really fucking enjoy it.)

Not offensive, just sorta obvious. :p I know this all already! It's common sense. I can't sit down and write an assignment without knowing what the hell I'm writing about. That's just silly and asking for failure. I was complaining about a laborious process I'm not fond of, but I recognise the necessity of it, of course.

And I don't think I could come up with a pre-determined position anyway. It's never happened before, I've only ever known what the hell I'm going to argue after doing a bunch of reading. I've rarely looked at an assignment brief and had a plan of how it's gonna look form into my head, usually I stare it for like 5 minutes thinking "what the hell" before deciding to go searching for journal articles and stuff.

This specific essay is one I've had to revisit because I need more reference points, but I'm basically rewriting it at this point. Not the first time I've done that but it paid off well before. Referencing and knowledge-gathering is my weak point in terms of how easy I find the task, not in terms of what I'm getting marked on at the end of the day. In case that wasn't clear- I suppose my original post is a bit contradictory. I have a friend who is writing an essay currently and found it after he was close to finishing there was a load of data pointing against his argument (whatever that was, I didn't inquire too deeply) and I said "well you're rewriting it basically then?" and he said he wasn't, he'd just smudge his argument a little. So I told him he was being daft. See? I get your angle. I subscribe to it, even.

Oh, and my course is marketing, so I imagine our standards of writing quality (on an academic level) is pretty fucking vast. I can only really speak to the marks I've been given and feedback I've gathered.

(Don't worry about offending me by calling out things like that, by the way. If I didn't already agree with you, I'd probably take your reply as food for thought anyway.)

Thanks for being chill. I really appreciate it. Im always afraid of offending someone that hasn't done anything.

Emitan

Sweet Blue Flowers came in today so maybe I'll watch it tomorrow if I don't have work.

It's based on a manga about ~lesbians~ written by the woman who's writing the manga I'm currently reading that is about transgender kids going through puberty.

(This was for kayos90)

kayos90

Sweet Blue Flowers came in today so maybe I'll watch it tomorrow if I don't have work.

It's based on a manga about ~lesbians~ written by the woman who's writing the manga I'm currently reading that is about transgender kids going through puberty.

(This was for kayos90)

Wait wut? I don't get it.

Ordered the God of War Saga... now to see what all the rage is over this series.

1 works pretty well the first time through, but I don't really like it on replays

2 is one of my all-time favorite games, a stunning well put-together package that I revist once a year it feels. Oh, and both the PS2 versions run at around 60 fps all the time, they never looked better. The great artwork holds up well, too

3 is really REALLY pretty, and it has it's moments, but it feels rushed compared to 2. But it's got some really fun moments!

the PSP games are PSP games. Ok, that was harsh, Ghost of Sparta is actually pretty darn good.

for $20 bucks, it's worth it for GoW2 alone. It's that good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ordered the God of War Saga... now to see what all the rage is over this series.
Blood, gore, boobs, stabbing people in the eye, etc.

Ha, no problem, it's what I'm best at. We're chiller than the Ice Cap Zone around these parts.
What are you talking about? Pretty sure half the time it's Metallic Madness up in this thread. People argue as if it's The Doomsday in here and it feels like Bullet Station. Sheesh. It's so hard to build a Bridge Zone in this thread. It's all because of this Wacky Workbench, you see.

...I'm sorry. I'm tired and bad puns are what I can do. :|

Rlan

Here's a Video of Sonic Dash in Action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ucbhL3kubVQ

mzl.aozfuynw.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.wcxmvbyi.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.gvsfhbaw.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.vcgadmoo.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.vaqpitvg.480x480-75.jpg

(This was for kayos90)

I still need to catch up on the manga; I dropped it before the school play happened, I think.

Kokonoe

Banned
Here's a Video of Sonic Dash in Action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ucbhL3kubVQ

mzl.aozfuynw.480x480-75.jpg
http://a792.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Purple2/v4/8d/b3/86/8db386fa-4e98-d3f0-7de2-e8e4348ec3c5/mzl.wcxmvbyi.480x480-75.jpg[img] [img]http://a1540.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Purple2/v4/88/d4/d4/88d4d4b1-4066-ddec-b1e5-f5e2e198186e/mzl.gvsfhbaw.480x480-75.jpg[img]

[img]http://a1036.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Purple2/v4/6d/89/83/6d8983b5-fea0-f185-4e8e-7876b87c88c5/mzl.vcgadmoo.480x480-75.jpg[img] [img]http://a1607.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Purple/v4/fe/5e/a0/fe5ea0da-e8ab-14a8-d254-76946353a367/mzl.vaqpitvg.480x480-75.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Sidestep the game?

When I saw Temple Runner for the first time I got this picture in my head of how that would look if it was a Sonic game and the picture in my head looked a lot better than Sonic Dash does.

That being said, I don't think Sonic Dash looks awful... just kind of slow, I guess.

A Temple Run clone

Stay free, Sonic franchise

Well, I mean, there's Sonic and the Secret Rings if you want to get nitpicky on this kind of gameplay.

qq more

Didn't watch the video but the screens looks actually alright. Looks far more appealing than freakin' Jump.

EDIT: wha

2.5D game leak? Ugh, please don't let it be another Sonic 4 episode!

Give it to Hardlight instead of Dimps; I actually want to see what they come up with.

I don't know about that. These two Hardlight games have been really devoid of... what you would typically call the "Sonic Style", I guess. There's very little flair or personality, it's just... "here are the art assets Sega gave us and we made them move around a little bit".

Even if the Dimps games sometimes looked ugly, at least they had a noticeable Dimps "style". The most stylish thing about these Hardlight games is the music, which I personally do not like at all - they're somewhat down tempo versions of existing songs with all of the instruments replaced by generic FL Studio synths.

Hardlight seems to be a studio that exists to tick the boxes and get paid. Not that I blame them for that, but I don't know if they have what it takes to trade in for Dimps.

qq more

Literally all Dimps needs to do is get competent at level designing and they're good again. I would've loved Sonic 4 Episode 2 if the level design wasn't bad. (Oh and the bosses too, they were baddd)

I also wish they would make more sprite-based games, they are really good with that kind of artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom