• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello SonicGAF I have purchased and played Sonic Dash for iOS and here is my review DON'T BUY IT that concludes the Sonic Dash review

(More seriously, it's got super-cheap object placement and pay-to-win microtransactions flowing out of every pore.)

Pretty much. Charging you for the game up front should be a crime. :/
Exactly what I'd been saying! It surprises me how offended The KKM seemed on Retro when I was pointing out that they were nickel-and-diming their consumers. Yeah, you can technically earn everything without paying a penny further, but I'll wager it'll take an exorbitant amount of time, in a move designed to make you want to pay instead. Y'know, the typical "freemium" tactic. Except the game costs $2. I can't even argue that it is freemium because it isn't free. So basically, you're paying money to get a heavily-gimped title that expects you to either grind or pay up... why do that when you can get similar titles without an up-front cost?

How bad was Sonic Jump about this, anyway? I was more interested in that, considering it was a stage-based game with an actual goal of sorts (beat all the stages), so presumably the fact that the same "$2 entry fee, microtransactions after that" setup was in place wouldn't affect enjoyment to the same extent.

Hi all!

I finally made it a mission to complete Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I have the excellent VC versions. I had beat Sonic 3 on the Genesis and rebeat on the VC. I just got Sonic and Knuckles on the VC since it has lock on, but how does lock on work?

Do I have beat Sonic 3 again? I already have a complete file on Sonic 3.
I have no experience with the VC versions, but if you had a physical copy, your completed saves in Sonic 3 would turn into saves starting at Mushroom Hill, while your unfinished saves would basically retain their status.

Actually kinda makes me wonder how S3&K saves show up on your Sonic 3 cart standalone... I've never really bothered to check.

qq more

Hi all!

I finally made it a mission to complete Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I have the excellent VC versions. I had beat Sonic 3 on the Genesis and rebeat on the VC. I just got Sonic and Knuckles on the VC since it has lock on, but how does lock on work?

Do I have beat Sonic 3 again? I already have a complete file on Sonic 3.

You don't need to beat the game at all. I think there's a button (forgot what, maybe the Minus button?) that let's you go to the Lock-On menu when you're playing Sonic & Knuckles.

You don't need to beat the game at all. I think there's a button (forgot what, maybe the Minus button?) that let's you go to the Lock-On menu when you're playing Sonic & Knuckles.

It's something along these lines, if that's not it then i'm sure it's in S&K VC operation guide.

WillyFive

If you leave your game, stay safe, stay alert and whatever you do, don't die.

Because if you die outside your own game, you don't regenerate.

Ever.

The first I'd even heard of it was when the DRM was being much maligned, pre-launch. These post-launch ones are only enjoyable for the schadenfreude - more on EA's end than the consumer's.

At least it'll all be better on <parameter: string>.

BlackJace

It was my most anticipated game of the year... oh well, I guess. It looks like it's Heart of the Swarm and BioShock Infinite (and my backlog) for now.

I'm with you on Heart of the Swarm. That and Luigi's Mansion 3DS will be occupying my March.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The weekend is almost here. This means that people should be prepping to watch Fate/Zero =)
If these guys don't care about anime now, I don't think they'll set aside time to watch it later. Not to mention that I don't think these guys have time after work/school to set aside for it. :V

Hello SonicGAF I have purchased and played Sonic Dash for iOS and here is my review DON'T BUY IT that concludes the Sonic Dash review

(More seriously, it's got super-cheap object placement and pay-to-win microtransactions flowing out of every pore.)
Best review.

I figured it'd be like that. It costs money and you have to pay for more stuff. I didn't think much of the game in the first place. It's too bad, really. All freemium games are like that.

Tomb Raider fits nicely in the flashy but shallow reboot territory that DmC carved out earlier this year.

So far for 2013:
9/10 - MGR
8/10 - Bit.Trip Runner2, Sonic Transformed PC, The Cave
7/10 - DmC, Tomb Raider

Not bad, actually. MGR alone is better than most of the games on my GotY list last year.

The weekend is almost here. This means that people should be prepping to watch Fate/Zero =)
This reminds me, moving onto episode 5 later, I have breached the four episode barrier and have chosen to continue on, you must be ecstatic!

I'm still waiting on a new RCT...=(

Aren't we all? remember how there was that one 3DS game that I can only assume sucked or maybe never even released? what a cruel joke that was.

It's not just odd, it's somewhere between greedy (who cares if you already bought the game? We'll nickel-and-dime you to death anyway!) and stupid (if they wanted to maximize profits on the whole nickel-and-diming thing, surely making the game free would've broadened the base considerably?).

Oh hey, another one of those drug ads.

805461169017746259m9ugi.jpg

Noi

It's not just odd, it's somewhere between greedy (who cares if you already bought the game? We'll nickel-and-dime you to death anyway!) and stupid (if they wanted to maximize profits on the whole nickel-and-diming thing, surely making the game free would've broadened the base considerably?).

805461169017746259m9ugi.jpg
250px-Dead_Space_3_PC_game_cover.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
How bad was Sonic Jump about this, anyway? I was more interested in that, considering it was a stage-based game with an actual goal of sorts (beat all the stages), so presumably the fact that the same "$2 entry fee, microtransactions after that" setup was in place wouldn't affect enjoyment to the same extent.

The earlier stages of Jump are pretty fair and beatable, but after a certain point it just throws lots of bullshit at you that's frustratingly difficult to avoid and clearly designed to make you buy revival items. YMMV. I think Jump either went free or has gone free in the past, so if you find it for free it couldn't hurt to try it.

Nert

To make up for never posting about Sonic here, I figured I should mention that Sonic CD was very briefly mentioned in the first Tropes vs Women in Video Games video. As someone that participates in those threads fairly often, I think that the reception was a lot more positive and calm than I was expecting (I'm sure other parts of the internet are melting down in existential anguish, given the hostility she received before even releasing anything).

Hmm, I just watched that video, i'm interested in seeing the rest of them.
Though I mainly just feel that the whole damsel thing in most older game examples is basically a token barebones story/character motivation that can be set up in mere seconds that everybody grasps since stories were hardly of importance back then (I guess they could just steal an actual object of significance instead but then it's not as personal or villainous maybe?), anyway other tropes will be more interesting no doubt.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This reminds me, moving onto episode 5 later, I have breached the four episode barrier and have chosen to continue on, you must be ecstatic!

Aren't we all? remember how there was that one 3DS game that I can only assume sucked or maybe never even released? what a cruel joke that was.

What did you think of the first four episodes? Tell me and the rest of this community so they can watch it as well. It's a brilliant series honestly.

If these guys don't care about anime now, I don't think they'll set aside time to watch it later. Not to mention that I don't think these guys have time after work/school to set aside for it. :V

Best review.

I figured it'd be like that. It costs money and you have to pay for more stuff. I didn't think much of the game in the first place. It's too bad, really. All freemium games are like that.

I guess... however I think Fate/Zero isn't just a good anime but a great show. While I think the barrier of entry due to it being an anime is still there but it's not hard to appreciate what F/Z does both visually and narratively.

What did you think of the first four episodes? Tell me and the rest of this community so they can watch it as well. It's a brilliant series honestly.

So i'm sending a message specifically to Sonic Gaf then eh?
Hey guys, some of you enjoy the stories in Sonic Adventure games rigth? this stomps the hell out of them and i'm not even quarter of the way through....okay, that doesn't say much for anything really, I could pen a better story for SA myself.

More seriously then, the animation so far has been of a consistent good quality so I have to assume they have a solid budget, one of the core premises involves warriors summoned from different eras to battle is awesome by default, fight scenes are fun and they always will be and they've set up some interesting plot elements thus far.

TheOGB

Banned
To make up for never posting about Sonic here, I figured I should mention that Sonic CD was very briefly mentioned in the first Tropes vs Women in Video Games video. As someone that participates in those threads fairly often, I think that the reception was a lot more positive and calm than I was expecting (I'm sure other parts of the internet are melting down in existential anguish, given the hostility she received before even releasing anything).
Which is funny, because that's a big part of the problem!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Guys. I want news for a Sonic game already. It's a shitty drought. It's more than likely because Sonic 4: Episode 2 didn't quell our desire for a bigger Sonic game.

EDIT: Sciz... perhaps I'm getting old, but uh... *shifts around* IthinkI'mstartingtoliketheSA1soundtrackalittlemorethantheSA2soundtrack... okthanks.

I'm thinking of replaying Megaman ZX because of reasons unknown to myself. Perhaps it's because I haven't played it in years? I wonder if my opinion of it will increase or decrease should I take the chance to replay it whenever I find the time. I remember back in 2011 I bought the MMZero Collection and played the crap outta it before (read: during, because my prof was reading out of the book verbatim) one of my differential maths classes. It was some nice stuff. I think I came out of that liking the Zero games more than I had previously.

And as for the weekend: I'll be working on trying to get a project done and I'm going to study. Might squeeze in some DmC if I don't get annoyed with it.

So uh... do we need to stage an intervention for you, Shadow Hog? Because I'd hope not.

Regardless, they likely (and perhaps rightfully) figured that people would buy it on brand name alone. If people spend money to get more stuff to make the game easier, it's their prerogative, but it's a stupid thing to do (ie: likely do what freemium games do: make it harder to get new powerups or acquire more XP so that it takes a long time to do so). I don't like the idea of paying first and then charging you for secondary content that you can find in-game just because acquiring said content takes a long time to get yourself.

I'm stating the obvious, but it's seedy game design and it doesn't seem like anyone gives a shit about saying something about it. It's disgraceful.

I guess... however I think Fate/Zero isn't just a good anime but a great show. While I think the barrier of entry due to it being an anime is still there but it's not hard to appreciate what F/Z does both visually and narratively.
I'm sure people could appreciate it for what it is given the quality of the content and presentation, but given my past experiences with discussing anime in the past SonicGAF threads, the topic simply gets dropped rather quickly due to: a) general disinterest, b) people not having time to invest in multiple anime series in general, and c) most of that discussion is done in AnimeGAF regardless.

Plus when we do discuss anime in this thread, it's usually limited to those three anime sources I've already discussed (one of which had Ufotable do the CG for lord knows why).

Speaking of which, my last Sonic X post in the last thread was this, wasn't it? I never got to talk about Chucklin' Knuckles.

So i'm sending a message specifically to Sonic Gaf then eh?
Hey guys, some of you enjoy the stories in Sonic Adventure games rigth? this stomps the hell out of them and i'm not even quarter of the way through....okay, that doesn't say much for anything really, I could pen a better story for SA myself.
How can you send a message to me when I've already watched it? :O

And way to defeat your argument in the latter bit, eh Nocturnowl? If you hadn't included the latter portion, I would've made fun of you for not saying the SA games' narratives weren't that great. Please don't pen a story for SA yourself. I've read some cringeworthy (read: stuff that made me laugh a lot) stuff this week and I don't want to read more of anything like it. Thanks.

So you don't want my Sonic Adventure fan fiction plot? well, okay then.

I saw the Revengeance vocal tracks CD in my local Game which is like the first time i've seen an actual game soundtrack outside of Halo and GTA in the UK wilds.

I don't think anyone here is disliking the Adventure soundtracks, they're pretty good though 2 can get a bit samey with the rock surplus within, as for SA1, well there's a lot of quantity and variety in there but I only really like about quarter to half of its soundtrack overall.
They're pretty solid, plus they gave me Azure Blue World and Metal Harbour which are among my Sonic favourites.

Though i'm much happier with the direction the soundtracks have taken from Unleashed onwards.

Quackula

I'll never forget the time my friend showed me Axel Rudi Pell album with the guy from Crush 40 doing vocals on it.

Because of that, that means that Sonic Adventure is only a few degrees of separation away from German thrash metal band Sodom, which is kinda hilarious and incredible...

qq more

People dislike the Adventure soundtrack? But why?
Wait a minute... they do? SA1/SA2 has an outstanding OST! Especially SA1! I mean... I don't chuckle and I'd rather flex my muscles!

We all know who's really juicing in SonicGAF.

qqmore
Eh... What's this about?

I want a radio station that plays game soundtracks.
Totally. Video game music deserves better recognition!

Juicing what, oranges? We all know apple juice is better.
Hell ya, apple juice rocks fo' sho!

SEGA should have put Adventure songs in either of the Rockband or Guitar Hero games when the fad was still strong.

I would totally buy either of those games just for Knuckles' theme and Pumpkin Hill.

I've had that exact brand of apple juice.

I... don't care much for it. And I love apple juice.

Typically just get store-brand stuff, it's cheaper and tastes about as good as, say, Mott's or something. Just need to remember to stay away from the Splenda-sweetened stuff, it's shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom